Options

RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Comments

• Options

David richardson that'll confuse 'emimage

• Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    How did your marathon go mr 2006 ?

I was reasonably happy with it - I dropped about 8 minutes in the second half (based on my parkrun time from MacMillan) as obviously hadn't done enough long runs. Finished in 3.24. Last 10k was hard, but not painful.

I do wonder what advice I would have received if I'd posted on here a month before my run...

• Options

you were running regulary........

mr coward had only managed a 2 hr half 4 years ago and so wasn't in the same position...

you also seemed to do roughly what a lot suggested in having rest days and doing some long slow runs and avoid speed work.........

so in theory your result backs up what te majority have said..

but as we know there is more than one way to skin a cat.......and what works for one doesn't always work for the next one.

so it will be interesting to see if the Op schedule f running every day and doing lots of short speed sessions works as well as your plan

• Options
    Blimey Mr 2006 - thats some good running. I can only think you'd have done so much better with proper training though.
  • Options
    Or would FIshface2 be more appropriate, David?!
  • Options

UPdate.....day 3: 50 mins: first 20 were quite slow/hard, then last 30 felt really good, ran quite fast, at the limit without going over, changed pace slightly between my limit and slightly behind. Overall pretty good.

day 4: the 35 minute run with 4 fast, 3 recovery: first time I ever did one of these type of training sessions without having to walk in the recovery, so the first time when a slow jog felt like a recovery. Last one was hard, possibly due to dehydration from drinking the previous day. (didn't have a water bottle with me).

today, legs are ok, little bit sore, but only a 40 minute run planned so should be ok. Will try to do 4*45s strides at the end. The reason for this is because "I don't have any speed beyond 100m," from the runner guy. 

Tips for race plan on the day to get sub 4.30? My friend recommended 9min miling, then walk for 1 min after every mile marker. Any comments on this?  

• Options

Oh and doing a timed 5k run tomorrow with a friend who is training (properly since 8 months for a different marathon) so should be able to give an absoloute time for a distance rather than rough guesses.

• Options

Alex, given that the thought of entering a marathon doesn't even seem to have entered your head until very recently, why are you so hung up on getting a sub 4.30?

My tip would be don't try for a sub 4.30 at all. It would be to run slowly and conservatively, get round in one piece and don't worry about the time.

I'm also going to say that however long it takes you to do your 5k tomorrow don't try to extrapolate that into a marathon time. But I suspect you will anyway.

And you can't afford be so devil-may-care about your hydration if you're going to run 26 miles. Dehydration can scupper you all on its own without any of the other contributing factors.

PS - can you please point your runner friend in the direction of this forum so that he can talk to some experts about distance running? Like you he is hung up on speed and, as has been said before (many times) you are both barking up completely the wrong tree! 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The race time predictors work on the premise that you have done the required training for the distance. If you haven't then it won't be of any help at all.
  • Options

"however long it takes you to do your 5k tomorrow don't try to extrapolate that into a marathon time. But I suspect you will anyway."

If it takes me 30 minutes and I'm dying at the end then I think It's fair to have a serious rethink about sub 5 or even entering at all...I'm not going to try to turn it into an exact time but should give me a rough guage...4-5/5-6 etc?

"My tip would be don't try for a sub 4.30 at all. It would be to run slowly and conservatively, get round in one piece and don't worry about the time." So you think I should try to run the whole thing, not walk/run? I think it's probably inevitable I'll be walking some, whether thats at the end or spread through the race is my question.

When I did my half I walked A LOT, went out far too quick (was with the 1.30 marker for the first 4 miles I think, then I basically stopped for a while).... I think it's unlikely I'm going to pace this anywhere near perfectly given my vast inexpreience.

• Options

Personally I very much doubt you will be able to run the whole thing and if you know you will have to walk then it is better to set off with a structured run/walk from the start.

• Options

I'm new here and i don't know how to edit.image

• Options

soon picked it up though.

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Personally I very much doubt you will be able to run the whole thing and if you know you will have to walk then it is better to set off with a structured run/walk from the start.

Screamapillar giving reasoned advice? I think I need to sit down ......image

I always give reasoned advice.

• Options

I'm looking forward to my next ultra . It's only a small one so i'm going 

to start tapering now. Did a hilly 10k today in shorts and vest for the first time in years( so it seems) even had the sun shining down on me. It was Brill!

Hitting the treadmill tomorrow for a bit of neolithic training. I've got the distance in my legs, just need to sharpen up on my speed.  Two hours at 7.5 miles ph pace should be enough at first. Inbetween i'll do 3-5 minute bursts  at 8-9 miles ph.

The last couple of times i've ran to the big stones from the little stones i've ended up quite stoned. Managed 3:34and 3:36   but no where near fit enough to do that this year.   Think i may be closer to 4 hours ( if i'm lucky)

One thing i've learned from marathon running  is just how much respect you need to give the earth.  Respect  every single step of the way.  If you don't then somewhere out on the course the Earth will raise up and bite you on the bum,

or punch you in the belly, or trip you onto your knees.   

I haven't had my dinner yet ! Can you believe that?  Been on such a high after racing round that 10k course. 

Brilliant week for training ,done over 65 miles.image that includes a 40 mile and a 10k race.  I feel like i'm getting strong again.  

that's me done. got some plants need planting so i'll catch you all tomorrow.

Don't forget to respect the earth.

very good marathon mantra. respect the earth respect the earth...... go on, try it some time...it's pretty powerful.

• Options
    Think he's got the wrong thread!

Alex I completed an off road marathon early part of this year. I did consistent training but the furthest I ran was 10 miles.

Some said I was mental but I still went ahead and completed it! 5:06 was my time and walked ALOT (conditions)

You can do it no probs.
  • Options
    Actual running as a part of marathon training. You should try it DF3.
  • Options

Ja5onW-  think he has got the wrong thread indeed. Where have you been recently?   I know exactly what i'm doing .image

As for you David i am the troll slayer and you just WTF'ed me so as you can see 

i'm lashing you with my whip!  Be slayered you  fiend.

• Options

LouiseG-   that is one of the points i'm making.  

• Options
    waccyracer the troll slayer wrote (see)

i'm lashing you with my whip!  Be slayered you  fiend.

UW - that just sounds kinky image

• Options

Agent Orange where are you ? Come out and slay this thread monster with me

Here are some  3 more  lashes for you , you demon...   you coward ...

Who are you going to pretend to be tomorrow?   try using different phrases

because you tend to make lots of mistakes.   I doubt if there are many on here who haven't clocked on to you.

Keep back...   crack!... you are a troll from down under ..the subway..

i woundn't be suprised  if you've got your own bridge.

• Options

I want some of whatever Waccy's having......image

• Options

Just to make this absoloutely clear incase anyone is in any doubt at all I have nothing to do with DF3, I don't know him, I'm not him, and come come the 19th of May (or the 20th) there will be a picture of me next to the south korean dude having completed a marathon in copnhagen. 

And before anyone asks there will be no flying pigs, bacon sandwiches, martians, zulu warriors, angry birds, Kim Jong Un will not be there, nuclear missiles etc etc in the photo.

And to clarify you guys would advocate a run/walk from the start (regardless of my mile times I could walk for a minute/30 seconds after each mile post, is this the best general strategy)? 

• Options

imageimageimage

hey i just done a hilly 10k in about 47 mins and came within the top 50

out of 201 starters so i'm on a natural high.  image

• Options

So you are back for more hey?  

just to clarify

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EDIT I'M NEW TO ALL THIS.

• Options
    Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

Just to make this absoloutely clear incase anyone is in any doubt at all I have nothing to do with DF3, I don't know him, I'm not him, and come come the 19th of May (or the 20th) there will be a picture of me next to the south korean dude having completed a marathon in copnhagen. 

Really? Just to remind you, you haven't even entered yet.

But yes, run/walk is probably going to be your best strategy.