Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - Kings X to Willesden , that is an interesting route that I'm sure many do not do. Loads of traffic lights. But the 2 laps of Regents Park will break that up. Are you sure it is only 8 miles as 2 full laps must be 5 miles in themselves. I am not a starva person but am sure that there are some very fast runners who have posted times for this circuit as if run as a fast lap you can do a great time indeed.

Enjoy the run and I suppose the game too. I do enjoy the Emirates and occasionally I have been there to see my team sneak a win image.

Will - My PB is 3:58 from Paris in 2013 when I developed a tight hammy the week before and it decided after mile 16 that it had had enough. I ran London in 2014 and was on course for a sub 3:40 time - through halfway in 1:45 - but had a collision with another runner at mile 16 and that was my race over. I finished but made no effort to beat my PB as I was a tad sore.

How do you find doing a track session at Regents Park ? The track is in poor shape I think after a wet winter and could do with a roller being run round it to remove the footprints from the heavy use by PT's.

Had forgotten that you were on the minimum running plan. There must be something in it as you nearly got under 4 hours the last time. So as you say the conventional wisdom of running the long runs slow does not quite apply. How do you feel you are coping with it this time round compared to last time ?

Washwood - missed your last post when I was responding last night. Great weeks running from you and impressive 20 miler. Things seem to be going well.

Oaty - A warm welcome. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Have you run the marathon before and if so what is your PB ? What HM are you doing ? 

Ricky - agree that that score is mediocre. You should be ashamed of yourself image. I would be lucky to get that off 18 now it is so long since I swung a club in anger. Used enjoy the sport but cannot find the time to fit it in and the running and the kids activities. One day ........

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Took the girls to their running session at the track tonight and ran as the back marker with the group on their warm up mile. Much encouragement needed and got the group of 3 girls, my two and a friend, around in 15 mins. had to keep telling them to stop chatting and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other.

Started my 2 mile warm-up, took them home and then finished it back on the track. Very busy there tonight and also had to cope with the rugby players throwing the bleedin' ball to each other on the back straight. Once or twice they missed and it landed in lane 2 where I was trying to stay out of their way and the fast club runners.

So 6 x 800m intervals with 400m recoveries.

3:28 ; 3:23 ; 3:16 ; 3:18 ; 3:15; 3:08

2 miles c/d for about 8 miles in total.

Enjoyed it afterwards.

One difference between this year and last year is that I run the 400m recovery whereas last year it was run / walk with it mainly being walk and also that it is continuous whereas I would stop and then go. So I am happy that overall I am running this session much stronger than I did before. Maybe there is something in this plan I am following or maybe it is me clutching at straws but whatever it is I am happy with how things are going. image

• Options

Oaty - welcome. Whereabouts in the country are you ?

Ali - 50 miles planned for this week. How is the shin at the moment ?  

Will - I've not heard of the FIRST plan to be honest but it sounds like it is working for you at the moment. Did you chose this plan due to time constraints in your life ? I think one of the advantages of running 3 times a week is that you will recover well and be in good shape for your next session, hence the plan you are following I guess. Too many Gooners in this thread !  

Sean - how was the hill session ? I think it should be a fairly easy win for Arsenal tonight. I'm off to the Forest game; we have been on fire since Freedman became the boss but we play Bournemouth tonight so it could all go horribly wrong.  

Ricky - 17 points is terrible ! When the putter is cold though you don't stand a chance of a decent round, that's what I always found anyway.  

Carl -  another fantastic 800s session last night, you really do nail that session every time. We do tend to clutch at the smallest of straws sometimes don't we ?? Positive signs about the recovery too, how do you feel after the session and when you have got home ?

• Options

I'm starting to bump up the mileage from this week so my MLR last night was 11.5 miles with 8 @ MP. It was a cold, windy night up north which made it a toughish run. 1 mile warm up then straight into the MP miles which were up a gradual climb into a biting wind coming off the peaks. The rest of the MP miles were done on a slight descent and these felt very comfortable until I got to the 8th mile where I had to slow down to an easy pace. I seem to be able to churn out miles comfortably at an easy pace but the MP stuff is harder work. That said, I remember 8 miles @ MP this time last year feeling tough and wondering how I would cope with 26 of them on race day. So, I seem to be in a similar position to last year which is a good sign. The fat adaptation is going well and the muscle fatigue during runs is getting better i.e. it is taking longer during each run before the legs start struggling. I'm still not sure if I will be able to race fasted without taking on fuel during the race as I won't have given my body long enough to completely adapt. I've decided that by the end of March I will have decided on my strategy for Manchester; the options are: 1) a fasted race with no fuel - high risk, 2) during the 3 week taper start carb loading, 3) during the last week of taper start carb loading; apparently my body wont have 'forgotten it is a fat burner' in this space of time but I will have the added carbs for fuel on race day. What will happen is that for the first few miles my body will be in an aerobic state and be feeding off my fat. As the race progresses and the effort increases I will gradually move into an anaerobic state and this is when my body will be looking for sugars/carbs. If I've given my body long enough to adapt this move into an anaerobic state will not come and I wont need any carbs but I don't think that 3 months is long enough to reach this state. Anyway, enough of my rambling, that's where I am at the moment 

• Options

Carter. Mate you need some gels and glucose tablets etc on race day. Theres running 20 miles on a sunday in your own time, and then theres running 26 under race conditions. I think without a fuelling strategy for the race you will seriously BONK. And I dont want to be piggy backing you the last 6 to the finish. lol

Carl. Another good track session and always great to see the young uns getting involved Im doing kings X straight to regents park, then 1.5 laps of the outer circle, then out the back on avenue road, belsize road, abbey road through to west hamstead and then willesden green. 8.5 mile.   

Welcome Oaty. MK marathon. a flat one im guessingimage   

Few Gooners on here then. The force is strong with this thread it is.   

So I was out for hills last night. And I second what carter was saying. It was bloody FREEZING oop north last night. It was so cold my chest was tightening and breathing was shallow for the first two reps. I managed 6 x hill reps = 280m in climbing. 8 miles altogether. Great club session all in all.   

Not relevant but I was quite impressed.  There was one lad at the sesh last night though who had ran the national XC's at parliament hill on Saturday as his first ever XC!!! Came in the top 250 out of 2000 which is bloody impressive. Then he ran a hilly 10k race on the sunday under 40 mins. And then a 15 miler on Monday night, followed by the hill session last night. Cream crackers and hes only been running for  years. Some people are just born to run I guess unlike us mere mortals.   

I have 55 miles planned for this week which will be my highest total so far. This includes a 5 mile X country on sunday plus 20 on saturday. yikes

• Options

Sean - good session from you last night. You reckon the arse will win tonight ? Re my race day nutrition. One of the purposes of changing to the low carb diet is to get to the stage where I don't need to fuel during the race. I don't know how long it will take me to achieve this state but if I can by Manchester then my race will be fuel free. However, my thoughts at the moment are that I won't achieve that state in time, I reckon it will take many months to get to that state. As you say, I will definitely bonk if I don't get this right. It's all to do with when I move from the aerobic to anaerobic state, last nights run told me that was after 7 miles of MP. I have 6 more weeks to get to the 26 miles state.

• Options

Just a very quick hello from the other side of the pond.

Arrived yesterday. Very jetlagged. Going try a run in the morning. Training last 10 days has gone to pot so need to get back on track. It is forecast to be -8 in the morning. Yikes.

Will now read back. 

• Options

Well what an abject performance from the arsenal. The less said about it the better!

sean - well done on your hill session, sounds tough. And good luck with your tough looking weekend!

ricky - more dreadmill miles. Nice tempo pace there fella

carl - bad luck on your marathon last year. you will absolutely smash your PB this year with a bit of luck on the injuries and collisions front I'm sure. Great track session and im sure the run recovery sections will make you stronger. Yes the Regent's Park track is in bad nick but it's a case of that or pounding the Tarmac so the track wins! Re my minimum running plan this time out I think my base fitness and speed is much improved so am on a quicker plan but it feels easier than 2013. One other big adjustment is I'm running the easy miles at a useful pace but it feels easy (8'50 pace). Last time I ran these at 10+. I feel this will help make me stronger hopefully.

hi oaty and welcome!

Carter - yes the 3 runs a week plan works for me with 2 small nippers! We'll see how it goes this time round. Your plan sounds fascinating. What pace can you comfortably run at fasted? How do marathon pace miles feel on an empty stomach - presume you have adjusted but interested how long you feel good for?

7 mile tempo for me this morning at 8'02 pace; 8'50, 7'46, 7'45, 7'39, 7'38, 7'37, 8'50

• Options

The Arsenal really didn't turn up did they ... Uphill battle now with 3 goals needed in Monaco.... Very disappointing  image

Bad night for the Pool tonight also Carl ...

Carter - my golf wasn't that bad - 17pts was for 9 holes only don't forget so I was only +1 nett. Had 35 Pts for the round after a further 18 Pts on the back 9. Club only runs 9 hole comps in the winter.

5 miles tonight up & down dale before dark... 8:21 pace avg - bitterly cold wind but nice and sunny!

• Options

Hello all

Been a mad busy few days!  So so busy with placement and work but have been running too!  Apologies for the absence.

Carl- well done on your dedication to higher mileage.  Great.  Well done to your girls too for their running! re: listening to the shin pain.  I think if I have to cut down anything just now, it has to be running and not the other stuff.  Running is the only thing that hurts my shin.  All the cycling and gym work is less impact and doesn't hurt.  So annoying that the thing I love the most is what hurts!

Will- great speedy track sesh from you!

Sean- busy as ever!  You must keep popping by...

Oaty- welcome.  What half have you got coming up and what time would you like to run it in?

Ricky- do you have a tready at home?  I'm really jealous

Carter- I can't imagine not fuelling for the race but I'm not even going to try to give you advice as I'm highly unqualified in anything to do with your kind of diet!  You'll make the right decision for you.

PS- hope everything's going well.  Great to hear from you.

I last posted Monday.  Since then my shin pain has been up and down...sometimes it's like 'oh great, it feels nearly OK, I can run' then other times it comes on suddenly and shoots up my leg.

Tuesday I decided not to run and did a spinning and weights session instead.  Wednesday I felt good and after a couple of warm up miles decided I could do a good run.  I had 8 on my plan but wasn't sure I'd make it that far without pain.  I got to 7 which I was happy enough with.

Splits 10:29, 10:02, 9:38, 9:33, 9:23, 9:03, 8:36.  So, progressive and felt really really good and easy.  Then did spinning and weights at the gym.

Today, I had 6 miles planned.  However, a mile in and the pain is quite bad.  So I listen to my legs and stopped.  I did 2 miles before swapping to the spin bike for 35 minutes and doing a yoga class instead.  Was good to do something but frustrating not to run.

Hope the leg benefits from me not pushing it tonight.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Yes bad week at the office for us footie fans. One part of me is ok with going out as it means we can concentrate on what is important without spending half a week trekking around Europe. Always sees the positive in things .......

Carter - yes I really like these 800m interval sessions. And the legs feel fine pretty quick afterwards. probably by the time I get in back home tbh.

And yes I am clutching at little things re the recovery 400m but a small difference no matter how small is a difference.

Sean - great hill session and hope you enjoyed the run in London and that this made the long trip worthwhile. 

Saw them setting up for the XC on Friday and the areas of the Heath that they used are trashed. No grass to be seen anymore. Pity I was away as 2000 runners would have been a sight to behold.

PS - great that you made it. -8. You must be mad going out in that. And here is us moaning about a little wind and it making it cold.

Ali - if you take a few days off the running to give the shins recovery time, keeping the gym stuff going is essential as it is non impact. Will have minimal impact on your overall running performance. Might be worth getting some physio to speed up recovery.

Carter - agree with Sean on bonking if you do not take some gels etc on board during the race. You will try and get sub 3:30 and that means you will be pushing hard for many miles. You will need a boost. 

Will  - nice tempo from you this morning. I dropped in on the track at Regents Park tonight on my MLR to get my last fast mile in. Track worse for wear after more rain but as you say better than pounding the tarmac all the time. As it is much more enclosed than the track at Parliament Hill, it is quite dark down the back straight at night. But enjoyable.

9.6 miles for me tonight in 1:20:05.

Plan was for 2 miles warm up, 2 x 2 miles at goal MP less 10s with 1 mile recovery, 2 miles cool down.

Miles 1 - 2 ; 17:31 (8:45 m/m)

Miles 3 - 4 ; 15:24 (7:42 m/m)

Mile 5 ; 8:54

Miles 6 - 7 ; 15:22 (7:41 m/m)

Miles 8 - 9 ; 17:41 (8:51 m/m)

Last night was a rest night and I went out in London and met some old work colleagues. Got home very late so all day today was a bit of a struggle. But the run tonight was on the money and erased all the cobwebs. Legs are fine and so far no niggles of note.image

Oaty - let us know what HM you are doing and I will update the race list.

• Options

Carl- a great almost 10 miler from you. Well done!

6 miles from me today and minimal shin pain!  I have also received my new shoes (2 pairs of the same- the New Balance 890v3 which is my favourite ever shoe that I thought I couldn't get any more- found a seller on ebay that does them so I snapped them up) so if old shoes were part of the issue hopefully these should help.

Splits today 10:17, 9:55, 9:48, 9:35, 9:12, 9:04.  9:39 average.

Was trying to keep it easy, for the legs, but I am noticing over the last week there's been a big turn in my fitness.  What before was 'easy' pace is now 'very slow' and by the end of easy runs I am approaching marathon pace with it still feeling slow and easy for me.

My slow/easy runs which were previously 10-10:30 min/mile pace are now turning out mainly to be 9:15-9:45 min/mile pace.  I have to be pleased with this.  

After my run did some spinning.  Rest day tomorrow before LSR on Sunday IF the leg still feels OK.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - great that you were able to get those miles in with minimal pain. And yes isn't it nice when you suddenly realise that all the weeks hard work is beginning to pay off. Sounds like you are moving nicely into that zone. Hopefully the new shoes will help too and that you get your lsr in tomorrow with little pain from those pesky shins !!

6 miles easy for me last night and 5 miles easy early this morning. My eldest girl had 2 of her friends over last night (they are only 9) and boy did they create a racket. As they were up early this am I decided I would get the 5 miles out of the way and avoid the noise so i was out the door at 7.45am.

I got this week and next weeks long run mixed up and this week is 15 miles with 8 miles of MP. Will be doing this tomorrow morning regardless of the weather. But will fuel beforehand.

Expecting this to be a tough one as it comes at the end of another high mileage week (they are all high mileage weeks now compared to any other training I have done) and no doubt the cumulative effect of all this running is beginning to build up in my legs.

How is everyone else getting on this weekend ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

If anyone has HM or other races to add let me know and I will revise. PS, do you have a HM lined up before NJ ?

Race Schedule

15 Mar : Alloa HM - Nell ; Ali

15 Mar : Silverstone HM - Washwood

22 Mar : Reading HM - Carl

12 Apr : Brighton Marathon - Canter

19 Apr : Manchester Marathon - Carter ; Ali ; Sean

26 Apr : VLM - Nell ; Washwood

26 Apr : New Jersey Marathon - PS

4 May : Milton Keynes Marathon - Oaty

17 May : Richmond Park Marathon - Carl

25 May : Bupa 10k London - Carl

31 May : Edinburgh Marathon - Nell ; Will Cross 2

19 Sep : Hardmoors 60 - Carter

11 Oct : Chicago Marathon - Carl

11 / 12 Jun : South Downs Way 100 - Carter

• Options

Hi all, been another busy week for me with work and marathon training. The anklke was playing up tuesday and Wed so Ive been icing, massaging etc for a week and now seems ok. Had a sports massage yesterday and apart from a few tight muscles and a bit of tendonitis from upping mileage my legs arent in bad condition considering .... apparently!

Ali how are the shins ??

So this weeks running :

Mon slow 8m .... was AWFUL after a heavy night at friends on Saturday :/

Tues was a quick rep session 12 x 200m which went well !

Wed 5m with 3m tempo in middle

Fri 20m progressive....... last 3 miles were sub 8mm pace ! did it in 2hr50 02. So now getting an idea of pace and time to go for at London!  Im looking forward to a slower 22m next week though.

So Ive also been sorting out fuelling, on my 20miler I took 3 gels 1 at 7.5 ish one at 12.5ish then another at about 16.5.... seems to work ok and Im likeing the high 5 and SIS gels.... I quite like the really thin isogels too. Any extra advice on fuelling will be welcome. (also run with carbo and electro drink).

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

• Options
    Hi

Another busy day here but a quick question for anyone who's around. Last week I should have done 20 miles but had to abandon after 5 as was ill. So this week I have 13 scheduled and then 20 again next Sun. I had just thought I'd do 20 tomorrow and then be back on track but now I'm wondering if that's a bad idea. Any views? Sorry know it's v late to ask!
  • Options

Hi guys

Washwood great long run.  I am with you on the Hi 5 gels- I use them too and have got some looked out for my LSR today.  I tend to take them a bit more often but it's personal preference and finding out what works for you.

Washwood- Personally I'd be tempted to relook at the upcoming weeks and see if you could get in your 20 miler elsewhere.  However I might shuffle the LSRs as your plan probably avoids having 2 20 milers on consecutive weeks for a good reason.  I think mine is the same.  So is there any way you could do 20 miles this week, then just do 13 the next week, and your other 20 miler the week after that?  Just an idea.

Will report back after my LSR.

• Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

Hope your run goes well Ali image    Ive eaten and eaten and slept since friday as it was a tough one, this weeks run will be a lot slower thank goodness image Got Silverstone half on the 15th too.

How do people run a half marathon as part of marathon training? My plan says to run it hard and go for 1.37 which is a minute off my PB, others (some who have and havent run marathons) say I shouldnt be looking to get any PBs during marathon training ......  but most who run them seem to think I should push and see what I can do as it will be an indicator then for the big day and as Im fitter I should do a decent time.  My next long run then isnt for another 6 days so with sensible sessions I should recover OK.

PS If you are still feeling tired and not quite right Id stick to the 13 image Only you know how you feel and how you recover so you will jusge it best Im sure image 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

washwood - good running from you this week despite the ankle. That first run after a heavy weekend is always tough isn't it. My 6 on Monday after being away in Dublin for the weekend were harder than an easy 6 should have been. Life getting in the way and all that.

Good that the legs are in overall ok condition. Must get a massage one of these weeks to see what the verdict is on mine. They feel good and so far no niggles of note.

Getting the right gels / drink combo is crucial to running a good race and is a very personal thing. I am not a huge fan of gels and who is but they are an essential for running the long distance. I have seen on some of the other threads that some use alternatives e.g. shot blocks, food etc but you need to take water on board with these.

I have settled in the High 5 gels and I used 2 Isogels today for the first time in training this year. I think I prefer these to the caffeine ones as they are less glupy (is that a word ?).

It is very important to try out the gels with the energy drink you will use on race day to make sure that they do not fight each other. And then there is the frequency of taking the blasted things. Everyone is different on this. Some take one before the race and then every 5 miles or so. Some every 30 minutes. The thing to understand is that there is a delay between taking them and them giving you the boost. Again this differs from one person to another. So you cannot wait until you have run out of energy. 

Also you need to know how many are too many. I have seen runners with 8 - 10 gels in their running belts before marathons and think to myself that I would be seriously ill if I took that many.

I have not yet decided on my strategy with gels other than I will use them and most likely the isogels. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - so how are you settling in to your new abode. Are you in permanent accommodation yet or living out of a suitcase waiting for your stuff to arrive. And is it still freezing over there ?

With all the moving etc and you being ill, I would run the 13 miles this week and as you get back into it, go for the 20 next week. Shuffling long runs about is normal and trying to catch up is never a good idea.

You probably have done whatever you were going to do by now. let us know how it went.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

washwood - most on here will say go affecter that PB. It will give you a good idea of where you really are and there is plenty of time to recover. The first few runs after a hard HM are always tough so you will need to ease back in the week after and not go hard early in the week. I have done Silverstone before. Was late getting there as traffic was horrendous getting in and I did not realise that the car park was along way from the start. Got to the starting area as the front runners were setting off so I spent some while getting through the crowds. It can be cold as it is very exposed but I enjoyed it. It is not flat and there are sections on the dirt tracks outside the race track. But I would say that there are good odds on a PB if the conditions are right and you are not caught in 'traffic'. 

Remind us. What is your HM PB ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So today was my 15 mile lsr with 8 miles at goal MP.

So early into the plan I still do not really know what my goal MP is but I am aiming at something around 8min miling.

Both girls were sick during the night so both me and the OH had fairly crap sleeps. So instead of setting off early as planned I delayed it by a few hours to give myself time to feel ok.

Breakfast of porridge and banana to give me pre run fuel and took 2 High 5 isogels with me. 

It was bright, sunny and very windy after some heavy rain last night.

Usual 15 mile route. Hampstead Heath for the first 7 miles and then transition across to Regents Park for the last 8 miles.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2015-03-01_at_20.37.29.png

Despite the lack of sleep I felt quite strong as I set off. Must have been the spring weather.

My plan has easy runs at 8:30 to 10:00 mins per mile.

So I ran the first 4 miles in 34:51 which is 8:43 min/mile. This is what I have been running the long runs at in any case.

It was very busy out on the Heath today with walkers, kids, dogs, buggy's etc so there was a lot of weaving and one or two enforced stops.

I started the 8 miles of MP at the bottom of the 3rd incline n the graph. As Richmond will be hilly getting some hilly MP miles in will be helpful. Again looking for the little things, I would normally have avoided this type of hill (small undulation Carter compared to your mountains image) but not this year.

I ran to feel, took the first gel after mile 5 and the second one at about 9.5 miles.

I found myself running a little quicker than intended.

8 miles in 61:35 mins which is 7:42 min/mile and splits as follows :

7:43 ; 7:37 ; 7:39 ; 7:45 ; 7:49 ; 7:41 ; 7:36 ; 7:45

And finished it off with the final 3 miles in 25:27 mins.

Overall 15 mils in 2:02:00, which is fast for a long slow run but with so many MP miles it will skew the time. The question is how much longer I could keep that pace going. Time will tell. As I said it is early to settle on MP and maybe that is a tad too fast.

• Options

washwood- as for the HM I'd run hard.  It'll give you a good indication of current fitness.image  Just anecdotal but I have set quite a few PBs of different distances during marathon training, I don't see why not.

Carl- good indicator of form that you could run your 8 MP miles at a really consistent pace.  Hope it felt good and controlled.  Well done too after having a crap sleep.  Great run!

My LSR went really well, got my 20 miles done in disgusting conditions.  I was at my parents and so ran around there.  It was severely flooded after very heavy rain the last few days.  I came home soaked to the bone, frozen and covered in mud.  The first 15 miles were fine, weather wise, but the last 5 involved hail storms, heavy snow, torrential rain, and winds so strong I could barely keep moving forward!  One of those runs which make you feel desperate just to be finished!

Ran a very varied route involving running round Linlithgow loch, some miles along the canal, some farm roads/trails, and some grass running.  Bit of everything!  Very hilly around my parents' too, so my splits were very varied but I tried to keep effort fairly even.

10:42, 10:09, 10:16, 10:02 these first few miles were around the loch and fairly flat so just warmed up slowly.

9:55, 10:08, 10:04, 10:23, 10:01 then along the canal so mostly quite flat but very muddy.  Lots of running from side to side to avoid massive puddles.

9:32, 10:08, 10:20, 9:51, 10:01 a hilly section through some farm paths and trails.

10:26, 9:45, 10:12, 10:39 4 miles along road and the massive rain and hail storms started.  Felt like I was running through treacle.

9:54, 10:15 Last two and the weather started to calm down but I was too exhausted to go any faster.  I was giving it my all but my legs were so heavy. 10:08 average pace- about 25 seconds per mile quicker than my last 20 miler two weeks ago.  Wow!

I'm exhausted and a bit achy now.  Shin was mostly pain free during the run though so happy days.

• Options

Hey, how was everyone's weekend?

carl, I'm doing reading half if you want to add me to the list? v nice 10 mile tempo last Thursday. Have you done a long run this weekend?

Ali, well done for listening to your body and stopping when you need to. It's the hardest thing to do. Looks like your fitness is massively improving, big pat on the back! Have you been out for a long one today?

washwood, great 20 miler there. Nice one. Sis gels work for me. No water needed with them. Am thinking I will take 5 or 6 at Edinburgh. Will aim to rehearse something like mile 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20... Re half pacing I would just go for it but adjust post race training runs so you are doing recovery only in the aftermath also re gels etc I wouldn't mix gels and energy drinks - a recipe for a bad tummy as far as I'm concerned!

so did the first 17 miler of my plan today at 8'35 pace. miles 13, 14 and 15 at marathon pace (8mm). Boy it hurt today - knew it would! Quite a bit of elevation involved as well. Had an sis gel at mile 10 as a test and all fine on the tum. Absolutely lashed with rain and freezing wind on the Heath and had to stop for 2 mins to put my waterproof on. Bit grim!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. A quick check in as it's been a really busy weekend and Mrs C's birthday. I've just done my long run to make a weekly total of 52 miles. I did a tempo run, a medium run with some MP miles and a long run with some MP miles so it's been a tough week and I'm shattered now. I did 6 miles at easy pace of 8:45, then 10 miles at MP pace which averaged 7:55. The last 4 of these miles were into a biting wind so really hard going. The last 4 miles were really slow at 9:50 as my legs had had it by then. I had some lunch a few hours earlier so it wasn't a fasted run. I didn't take any fuel during the run and only had a couple of sips of drink. More good progress and I feel like i am finally getting to where I want to be

• Options

Evening all or morning to you lot.

Some great long runs going on. 

Carter and Ali good work on the 20 milers. 

Carl are your girls better now? Hope you don't catch their lurgy.

I ended up doing 13 miles at 8:27 per mile. The 13 miler I did 3 weeks ago was at 8:41 per mile so good effort today given I still can't shake off the jet lag and it was very icy in places. 

So we are in our temporary apartment for a month or so. It is lovely but just far too small for all of us. Certainly going to be a challenge. Heavy snow here this afternoon and into the evening. Had our first trip to NY yesterday. It was -13. Fun but hard work with a 12 year old with a broken leg plus 3 others of 11, 9 and just 3.. He broke it on the second day of his school skiing trip. Not taken to hospital. Lucky that the consequences haven't been more serious than that he spent 5 days in agony wihout pain relief. The consultant couldn't believe it and said he must have a very high pain threshold. So of course we'll never hear the end of that one. 

• Options

Carl, great 15 miler. 8'08 pace and hills! well done. how are the legs today?

Ali, well done on the 20 miler and running through the disgusting conditions. A great improvement on pace as well! I literally had 2 or 3 miles of it yesterday when it was horrendous. Not sure I could have carried on without getting my waterproof out and even then I wasn't loving getting whipped in the face by freezing cold wind and rain!

Carter, great effort. I bet you were hurting on mile 15! ave pace for the 20 at around 8'30?

Petite S, nice 13 miler. That's one tough kid you've got!

• Options

All good running in tough weather conditions - good stuff.

incredibly windy yesterday morning but dry - managed 11 miles with middle 5 or 6 on easy trail round the local forest park. Bit of a plod @ 9:20 pace but felt a lot stronger at the end than previous longish runs. Another little bit of progress I suppose.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - good run yesterday from you. Every little bit of progress is important as it is what keeps us coming back for more ....

Will - went for my easy 6 miles tonight. Needed to as the legs were a tad heavy.Not anything bad just have alot of miles in them. After 2 or so miles they felt so much better. 

It was cold and windy out there yesterday but glad I missed the torrential rain. Would not have been at all pleasant.

PS - have I read this properly. Your boy broke his leg on skiing holiday with the school and nobody noticed !!! He must be really tough. I would have been in pieces the first day.

Good 13 miles and nice pace after all that disruption with the move to the other side.

So how long do the snowy conditions last for and how is it affecting your running. Are you still running at 5am or at a more normal time ?

Carter - great 20 miler from you after a fantastic week of running. No surprise that you found a few miles a little tough but would not worry. The other 48 miles have been great. Looks like your are well adjusted to your new diet. What are your plans for the next few weeks ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Updated race schedule.

Race Schedule

15 Mar : Alloa HM - Nell ; Ali

15 Mar : Silverstone HM - Washwood

22 Mar : Reading HM - Carl ; Will Cross 2

12 Apr : Brighton Marathon - Canter

19 Apr : Manchester Marathon - Carter ; Ali ; Sean

26 Apr : VLM - Nell ; Washwood

26 Apr : New Jersey Marathon - PS

4 May : Milton Keynes Marathon - Oaty