Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha - just got there before me Steve image

Yes, absolutely over the moon with that - a PB by 3mins 30secs! I thought it was going to be a 1:25:xx as I averaged 6:29 but the Garmin measured it at 13.28 miles - maybe due to all the bends because it started and finished on the old Brooklands motor racing track.

Anyway, who cares? image 

Main thing for me was that 6:30 pace was quite manageable. Felt it in the legs towards the end but there were quite a few hills early on and a nasty long one at 9.5 miles. However, breathing was pretty controlled all the way through so my fitness seems good, just maybe lacking a bit in speed endurance.

I did the 2 miles at the start and end as you suggested Steve to make it a 17 miler, albeit with a bit of a break in between the sets of 2's for race start and end.

Best of all, the knee was fine. Felt it a teeny bit towards the end but otherwise completely pain free. It's tightened a bit now and is grumbling but I think I can manage it now with heat, stretching and massage.

KR - many thanks indeed! Another good solid long run for you. Do you still use the nutritional plan that Ruth worked out for you? Since I moved to a 3 meal / 3 snack strategy using the foods Ruth recommended I only ever feel hungry just before I'm due to eat. 

Tom - so pleased that your calf didn't trouble you, that must be such a massive relief. As Steve says, that's the business end of things done - you just need to look after  yourself now.

Race was great thanks. Such a good option - I was dithering and Steve called it perfectly.

The rugby was amazing...apart from Scotland of course! Just don't know what to say - such a great start to the campaign and up to yesterday we'd averaged only a 6 point deficit per game. Don't know what happened - we were just dire and that effectively handed the title to Ireland. 

The other two games were just extraordinary. Never seen anything like that in a Six Nations (or Five Nations) before. England and Wales were outstanding. Not taking anything away from Ireland of course, they played brilliantly through the whole tournament but we certainly didn't make it difficult for them.

Steve - only you could contemplate walking an LSR! image

Good on you for getting out there. Sounds like it definitely paid off. 

Hope you can get the back sorted quickly. Have you had anything like this before? Do you know how long it should take to straighten things out?

• Options

Encouraging for you Malcs - sub three option still on!

Good run yesterday KR - another good long run in the bag.

My back has been am occasional problem in past - certainly a couple of London's were affected slightly but when have had problem usually it's been sorted quickly or at least more runnable than it was in last few days.

I would have expected it would have cleared after some good osteo/physio/massage.  As I have had regular chiro and extra gym work and stretching should have meant it shouldn't have happened in first place.

It wasn't a running injury, so as long as wasn't causing a problem elsewhere then thought feasible to run but won't know definitely if that was good call for a few days.

While it was still pleasing to get 24 in, I couldn't have run faster than a 3:30 marathon today if I had had problem like this on race day while last week felt I could have run a sub-3 comfortably on the day.

• Options

Steve - impressed you got 24 in today with that fueling and back issues.  Hope that gets resolved quickly. Also very impressed with those longest time between sub 3 stats from a couple of days ago.  Wow!

Fantastic run today Malcs.  Well done!  I was at Reading half.  87.07, so 5 secs slower overall than I did Wokingham a few weeks ago.  Interestingly watch suggested I ran 5 secs/ mile quicker today (average 6.34) than at Wokingham but have to assume it was out and not the course. Wishing I'd tried a bit harder in last mile now!   Didn't have dinner until 10.30 last night which might not have helped on the pb front.

Good runs from you as well Tom and KR.  Great to hear calf ok.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Nice one Malcs and glad the calf was ok Tom.

Hope the back clears up Steve. Ive had my fair share of lower back issues in the last two years but fortunately, while painful, they have been short in duration. We're all different but pilates is currently working wonders for me. This said i suspect you have an awesome core which i certainly didnt.

I also did Reading and got a new PB (85:37) after two years of relatively average halfs. image  I thought i was on course for sub 85 until i figured out that despite repeated assurances he was dead one the official pacer was way off time by mile 9. To be fair he probably did me a favour as my final quarter was my fastest. A really good race improved under a new sponsor. With perfect weather conditions this was abit of a reality check for me. With a current pb of 3.04 i suspect sub 3 might be just beyond me this year. Ill see how the next few weeks go but id still be happy to reduce the gap abit more and nail it in 2016. After a number of minor injuries im less obsessed with hitting big goals (sort ofimage) and just enjoying the training process.

• Options

Well run Golfer and Andy V at Reading.

85 gives you a chance at sub-3 - just depends on your endurance. If you finished well then you probably could have gone quicker.

As with Malcs and KR, I think it's worth giving it a go and if it doesn't happen this time, you are at least putting down a sighter for next time,

I set my PB there 28 years ago. I  last run it five years ago - course varied from the eighties with stadium start and finish but was pretty much the same course just in different order and sometimes direction.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Morning folks... Some awesome running by everyone.

Tom - glad you got your run in with no calf issues.

Steve - well done on sticking with your run and getting the miles in..

Well today training resumes albeit at a slower pace. I'll start with 25 miles a week and see how I feel...
  • Options

Great running Malc and AndyV
    I'm hoping for a 1:25 half next weekend and then hoping that will convert to a sub 3 in Manchester, so don't give up on it Andy. Which marathon have you coming up?

• Options

Steve, that sounds like a tough run. Amazing really that you pushed yourself through it.

Malcs, congrats on the PB. Awesome going, and more importantly, good news that the knee is OK. It really was a relief that the calf didn’t trouble me. I was running paranoid, and kept on thinking something, somewhere might be wrong!

Golfer & AndyV, well run in Reading both. Is it a race you’d recommend?

Best of luck with the training Iain. 

Run down to the gym and core session this evening. Miles are starting to reduce now. Plan for the week is: 

Mon 2 mile run and gym 
    Tue 1000m reps (8M)
    Wed 75 mins slow (11M)
    Thu Speed endurance session: fartlek (6M)
    Fri easy run or rest
    Sat steady 45 mins or parkrun (6M)
    Sun Half Marathon race at 90% or 17M slow (17M) - Steve, there was mention a few weeks ago that you might change this run?

• Options

OMG ! What a great weekend of Rugby. My dad was quite funny to watch. He looked like a 5 year old all afternoon (standing, sitting, occasionally shouting, standing, sitting - ants in his pants sort of thing) rather than a 65year old man!! My kids got more excited watching the adults than the tele! Brillant and so delighted that Ireland won but also becasue it was just such a good day of sport!!!

Malcs- look after that knee!

• Options

Well done everyone some great running over the weekend and great times.

I had my own warm up race for London the Larne half marathon over here in N.Ireland came home in 1HR 23MINS 46 SECS so a 5 odd minutes of my PB so happy with this started steady and just kept it going 

Started my London plan with the aim of lowering my PB of 3hrs 10mins people are saying sub 3 is on but to be honest it scares me to even think about it

Steve long run plans until London

22 miles this coming weekend

20 the following

16 two weeks out

10 with 1 week to go

Does this seem ok  

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Great PB Malcs - puts you in good shape for sub 3 nowimage

Glad the 23 long run went well Tom and no issues with the calf.  The taper paranoia can truly begin now!

Did Reading yesterday as well (Well done on the PB AndyV & good going Golfer) - perfect conditions so ummed & arred about going for sub 1:20.  Got carried away at the beginning and decided to stay close(ish) to the 1:20 pacer.  After a bit of a wobble at halfway, managed to pick up the pace and did the 15k-20k split in 18mins 6 secs.  Caught up with the pacer in the final mile and finished in 1:19:44 - over the moon.  Never ever thought this would be possible (got a nice tan as wellimage)!!

• Options
    Thomas Rann wrote (see)

Hi Ruth, hope the hammie is feeling better?

Overall I’d say I’ve increased my carb intake since the start of the training schedule. I now have stir-fry’s with noodles for example, but prior to starting the ASICS Target 26.2 programme I used to just have vegetables and meat without noodles.

I’ve been doing the carb-loading most of the recent Saturday’s as I’ve had a longer Sunday runs.

This week, I’ve tried to scale back the carb intake as I haven’t been running. Most of my evening meals have been veg and protein based, but I’ll do the 24hr carb load again from today, as I’m targeting a long run Sunday.

Monday – Friday:

Breakfast (07:30):

-          2 eggs scrambled (no butter or milk) on 2 slices of toast or bagel / Shredded Wheat cereal with skimmed milk

-          Black coffee

Mid-morning (10:00 – 11:00):

-          Cashew nuts and raisins / flapjack / Jaffa Cakes

-          Black coffee

Lunch (12:30 – 13:30):

-          Wrap including cous cous, lentils, potatoes, peppers, brown rice, chicken / cous cous or quinoa salad with reduced fat feta cheese, spring onions, chicken or tuna / occasionally a supermarket ‘meal deal’ including sandwich, crisps, and diet fizzy drink

Mid-afternoon (15:00 – 16:00):

-          Cashew nuts and raisins / flapjack / Jaffa Cakes / reduced fat hummus with pitta bread x2

-          Electrolyte drink with caffeine

Training (18:20-21:00)

-          Gym on Monday & Friday & running on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

-          Protein shake post gym only, not post running sessions

Dinner:

-          Chicken vegetable stir-fry with noodles / Chicken Fajita wraps / pasta with chicken/tuna/mince beef and tomato sauce / salmon with steamed vegetables

Tom,

No more carb loads before Paris and yes you really do need to take the final gel at 160mins - this is more important than your ones at 40 & 80mins as this is the time you will need it. So stick to every 40mins for Paris with caffeine practiced gels.

Just checking - for your mid-morning snacks is it one of the snacks not all three?

For all three meals - suggest you reduce carbs as you woudl when not doing high milage (for example at breakfast just cereal & add large fruit instead of bagel if feel you need more, if having eggs then 1 slice of toast with 2 eggs, at lunch - 1/2 wrap) etc. At evening meal reduce dont exclude  carbs completely but limit

Snacks - 25g of  whole nuts  at morning snack (and if feel you need more then add 1 x fruit -pear or apple).

For afternoon snack if running in evening - fruit and natural yoghurt (200g) or if out and about fruit & 1 slice of pre-sliced malt loaf or lunch box snack size (to control sugar intake from these). If not running piece of fruit or yoghurt or 20g nuts or 1 slice of malt loaf.

No eating after main meal at night and no extra sugary foods such as jaffa cakes but also no dried fruit or

• Options
    No eating after meal at night and no extra sugary foods such as jaffa cakes but also no dried fruit or flapjacks (flapjacks too high in calories).  I think you are someone that can just focus on job on hand and do this when organised but this means you need to think ahead to have fruit and nuts at office or in car (but don't eat just because they are there- stick to usual snack times and dont skip these snacks).

how much yoghurt and malt loaf in carb load?

For you taper is about sharpening up on extras and reducing carbs  like you usually do when not on high milage weeks.

• Options

well done on your halfs Roundman and Jim.

Jim - your plans look good but I would maybe put some marathon pace into one of the runs. You have a chance of sub-3 based on that half time. I think if you are at that close, it's worth trying and even if you don't do it, you find out how feasible it might be next time when you are fitter.

Or you might never be as fit and if you run a comfortable 3:06, you will wonder if you could have gone quicker.

Tom - maybe go for 16 this week but put 5 miles in middle at Marathon pace or at least easy 5, 3 transitional miles building pace towards marathon, holding that and then easing back over last few miles to 7:30s.

Ros from the training group who collects your money at the track won European Masters 3000m this morning in Poland. The male M65 winner ran a world record 10:02 which is 5:20 miling!

• Options

Glad the calf held up well Tom. Interesting point from Ruth regarding the gel on 160 minutes (makes mental note!)

Wow Malcs - what a half marathon PB! Shows all the hard work is paying off. Re the food, I tend to feel hungry late afternoon and late night too., but try and steadily snack during the afternoon, like fruit & yogurt etc. I think I might need to drink more water?, but I have about 4/5 cups of green tea during the day so should be hydrated.

Brilliant PB too AndyV. I wouldn't dismiss a sub 3 with that current form.

Golfer - you are consistent. I did the same 3 years ago with 2 seconds separating the 2 half marathons.

Big PB Jim - looking good for a sub 3!

Brilliant time too Roundman at Reading especially the latter 5k splits. Shows good speed endurance to pull that out late in the race.

A good 24 miler from you Steve with your bad back. I think a lot of people would have stayed at home.

I may be on the cusp of a sub 3, but I'm going to go for it again and hope the extra endurance (and gel @160 minutes) will help this time round.

• Options

Malcs - congrats on the pb!

There are a lot of half marathons being reported here that have the potential for a sub 3 marathon - interesting!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Wow, it's not just the rugby that was spectacular this weekend - it's raining PB's on this thread! image

What an outstanding set of results!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, really appreciate it image

golfer - excellent running, 5 secs is nothing - sounds like you could have made the PB so just claim a moral PB anyway I sayimage Main thing to focus on is that's two brilliant half results in succession so you are obviously in great condition. 

AndyV - surely you have to be confident of sub 3 after that great result?! I agree with Steve and FinishGantry, you can't give up on it.

I've had doubts too but I keep thinking what's the point in going for something in between? If you get yourself in a position to go for it you surely have to go for it. Seize the day and all that. 3:04 is so close, who wants 3:02 or 3:03? Nobody! image Go for the big one! 

Iain - great to hear training is officially back on! image

Finish Gantry - thanks and best of luck next week! Love the positive thinking! image

Ruth - lol, I can imagine it must have been very tense in the Irish supporters camp. Glad that the kids got some entertainment out of it. How is your injury, any improvement?

Jim - blinkin' nora, that's a storming result, no wonder you're pleased!

Totally with you on the scary front but my PB is 3:14 and your half is over two minutes faster than mine - if I'm going for it then you are too, ok?image

Roundman - and it just keeps getting better! That's a total belter - sub 80! And a suntan too. Does it get any better than that? image Wow!

KR - cheers, great to hear that you're in the 'go for it' camp image Although if you weren't I'd be sending the boys round. You were so close last year - surely this must be the time given how well training has gone.

I also get the munchies just before bed but then I have a bowl of cereal to quench the hunger (I'm sure Ruth told me to do this, or did I make it up?)  Fluids do seem to help to curb the pangs I find. Sometimes I think I'm hungry but after a drink I'm fine. Maybe I was just thirsty?

[skips past Ruth's food bit for fear of hunger attack...]

Steve - blimey, when you think of it like that it does show how much the marathon comes down to what happens on the day itself. Here's hoping that you're back to your comfortable sub 3 shape and not 3:30 condition by VLM. I'm sure you will be - loads of time left to get the back sorted. 

Outstanding result for Ros there! That's absolutely brilliant. She was flying round the track last week so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. 5:20 pace at 65?!!!! Wow!

One Gear - yes, I totally agree. It's very inspiring, especially for a wannabe sub 3 newb like myself. I'm still scratching my head as to how I'm even in this position. Crazy to think that this time two years back my marathon PB was 3:58!

Tom - I could see the worry on your face after you left last week but after reading your last few posts it's clear that's all faded away now. We all know what that kind of relief feels like. You can take it a bit easier now. Don't take any risks and have a great taper!

Sorry, I seem to have written War and Peace again! 

• Options

Hi Ruth.

No more carb loads before Paris – cool!

Final get at 160 mins, and every 40 mins – noted. What’s the best was to carry gels? Does anyone where those belt things? I tend to just hold them, but it’s a bit annoying.

I only have one of the mid-morning snacks – not all three! Although, occasionally I feel like I could easily eat all three.

When should I start reducing carbs through the three meals? My scheduled milage is:

-          Approx .50 miles week 23 – 29 March,

-          Approx. 40 miles week 30 March – 5 April

-          41 miles (including Paris race) week 6 – 12 April

Snacks – 25g of nuts as morning snack sounds good. Does it matter what sort of nuts? Cashews are my nut of choice, but I also like pistachios and almonds.

I wouldn’t usually eat after main meal at night, so that’s not problem.

During the carb load I try and have 200g yoghurt per serving and 2 slices of malt loaf (although I have not bought the pre-sliced loaf, and probably have more than I should!)

• Options

Steve, I’ll aim for 16 slow this Sunday, with middle 5 miles at marathon pace.

Amazing news about Ros. Completely inspirational. You have a rather amazing group of runners at Dulwich.

Ruth, you couldn’t really lose in the rugby to be honest.

Malcs, I’m not sure – my mind is playing all sorts of horrid games with me. I feel like I may have strained or light sprained my ankle today, although not sure where or when. It was sore for the last few hours walking, but now it’s not. I did chuck it in a bucket of ice water earlier which was excruciating much to the delight of my flatmates! Arg….. hoping I’ll wake up and will have forgotten about it. 

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Tom- I have a belt that fits snug against my body with a small pouch in the front which I can fit 3 Gels in And nothing else...it works for me rather than having them flopping about attached to my waist.

• Options

You sure you didn't play Rugby at weekend?

wrap yourself in cotton wool and ice for the next few weeks.

I have a gel belt which I have used a few times and think better than carrying.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hmm, hope it's not the taper madness Tom. Did you feel something go or did it come on afterwards?

If it's an acute injury then that's one thing but something that just comes on slowly afterwards could well be just tightness or some overuse and should ease off if you take care of it.

Deep breaths!

Re. the gels, for the love of God, you surely can't carry them all the way? That would drive me bonkers. Unless that's some sort of incentive for getting you to run it quicker maybe?image

I'm with Iain - I used to use a belt with loops for gels but they flap around something awful. Since then I've used a pouch on a belt and that worked much better.

It's really worth practicing with a full load in advance so if you can do it on one of your longer runs I'd definitely recommend it. You don't want any surprises on race day!

I've got a flip belt this year which sounds a bit like what Iain has too. Mine isn't an official one though, I got an equivalent from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LBZ826M

I have yet to try it with a full load but I'm confident it'll do the job.

• Options

I usually wear 2 belts Tom and carry 5 gels. I have one belt at the front and one at the back, that way it splits the load. Blimey, only 3 weeks left, I like Steve's advice! Make sure you avoid contact with anyone that looks remotely ill/coughs etc.

Had a good 3 x 2 mile speed endurance rep session tonight, which felt daunting on the way to the Park, but was okay once I got going. Average paces were 6.16, 6.12 & 6.09

• Options

I might walk round in a SARS mask for the next 3 weeksimage

Interesting re the gel belts and pouches. I’ll go and have a look at some this weekend. They don’t rub or chafe do they?

• Options

I usually put a bit of vaseline at the bottom of my back too to stop any chaffing. Probably best to try it out a few times with the gels in to get used to how it feels and also practising getting the gels out okay.

• Options

Sounds sensible KR. I'll try one out on runs even when not actually using gels!

Just completed my 'pace your race' band which I'll collect in Paris from the ASICS stand. Cool tool! It's all starting to seem very real.

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/ 

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Tom - I got my belt from sports direct. I never had an issue with chaffing before, only thing I find is that if I don't pin the strap to my shorts, it ends up riding up around my waist rather then on my hips.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Tom - I have a pair of short split shorts (got to go split on race day!) that have four small gel pockets and one zip pocket on the back. They are really lightweight and enable me to carry and access gels with a minimum of fuss.

I've worn a belt in the past for triathlons, but you do run the risk of the gels falling out.

It goes without saying that the shorter your shorts, the faster you go!

• Options

Sorequads, as tempting as 'short shorts' are, I just don't think I've got the legs to pull them off!! 

I'll have to give the gel belt and pouches some serious thought. I'm still not adverse to carrying them like a relay baton! It's what I've been doing in training.... at least you don't forget to take them that way!  

Funnily enough, the kind people at Asics actually sent me some new shorts and shoes today. Gel-DS Racer 10's. Awesome! I do feel very lucky. 

/members/images/858296/Gallery/Gel-DS_Racer_10_low_res.jpg

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Good point about the baton method Tom. A few years back I got nicely into my pen at VLM only to realise that I'd left my gel belt in my luggage bag....PANIC!

Ran out the pen to the trucks and had the embarrassing task of asking them if they could fish my bag out....."Yes, that's right the red one...the one that looks exactly like the 100's of other ones on the truck"image

Believe it or not they found it!

See you tonight Tom!

Steve, hope the back is up to it tonight.