Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Tim and Tony have put images of the race day asics kit on twitter - a sort of lime green, like the webpage model to the right of this forum. Love it! Haven't received mine yet, but am very excited waiting for it.Think it might be time to officially start packing for Paris! 

• Options

Apologies for dropping out for a while, but reading about other people's running glories while completely unable to run was just too depressing. However, Easter and extra free time are now upon me, and I've been able to do two very short and slow runs this week, so I'm back for some motivation! 

How's it going Tom? Do you feel ready? Taper madness kicking in yet?

• Options

Hi Tom

I would like all asics 262 runners to have planned your shopping list in advance as this will start you thinking about the logistics of food for carb load when in Paris! If you are organised 1-2 days before you go it will honestly feel so much less stressful and make you feel prepared – you will be amazed if you are really organised with snacks before you go how this will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on - just takes a little thought & organisation.

Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.

Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.

Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Here are some useful snacks with estimated   carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • I hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 45-50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)

Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day:

The hotel you are staying at are meant to have kettles & minibars in all rooms so you will have a little fridge space should you need and have access to boiling water. When you arrive seek out the local food shop for fresh bread and even a small milk if you need this as a bedtime snack etc.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am and in usual form of a hot & cold buffet but bring your own cereal for race morning if the choice of cereal is important for you. Last year the runners left not long after 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.

Every 5km in race there will be bottles water. There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but avoid and suggest you stick to your practiced plan.

Start times (as you may already know) are as follows:

Tom: 8.47am

Tim: 9.00am

Tony: 9.30am

Amy: still waiting to hear but could be same time as Tony or close to this time but still need to confirm this.

Andrea: 9.50am

Post-race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble on a quarter at a time (when no appetite large amounts of food can seem daunting so best to present yourself with small manageable amounts).

Enjoy Sunday night!

• Options

Tom

As you set off first in Paris what time would you  like to be at start for? As RW and ASICS can plan for this.

Ruth

• Options

Welcome back Speedy - good to hear you are doing some running.

- good runs yesterday Tom, Malcs, KR

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Apologies for dropping out for a while, but reading about other people's running glories while completely unable to run was just too depressing. However, Easter and extra free time are now upon me, and I've been able to do two very short and slow runs this week, so I'm back for some motivation! 

How's it going Tom? Do you feel ready? Taper madness kicking in yet?

Welcome back speedy. Good news that you’re back on the roads, and hopefully we can all be of some motivation to get you back firing to your speedy self! Things are going fairly well for me thanks. I’ve been dealing with a few lower leg issues, but nothing which has stopped me running for more than a few days. I had a bad back since last weekend, but that seems to have cleared now. Am I ready? – I hope so, but won’t really know until the race itself, but I’ve given training maximum effort. 

• Options
    Getting very close and exciting Tom! Good to hear the back is ok. Very helpful to have the carb loading ideas from Ruth and Malcs these past couple of days. Historically I've missed the benefits of juice. That will make it easier to get up to the 700g region!

Good to hear Speedy running again. Take it easy. Iain also.

I did 10 mile race yesterday at Maidenhead. Think it was 65.29 but frustratingly they haven't published chip times. Was a pb and quite pleased. Race time predictor suggesting 3.01.30 for the marathon (based on my 5k, 10m and HM times), which is annoyingly close but reconfirms I'm probably not quite there yet, even with perfect weather conditions. Will remain happy to get a pb!

Hope you're recovering Steve.
  • Options

Good luck on the gentle rehab Speedy and others on the bench, or just hopping off it.

Tom - you're ready. Cotton wool this week and then "Bon chance, mon ami........."

I'm a few weeks behind you guys heading into VMLM and just had my final blast (yesterday) at the Maidenhead Easter 10m. A nice race and it went well, 65:57 (chip). Last 20m (all easy) tomorrow and then onto the taper trail.

Some great training been done by a lot of people on here and I've enjoyed following the interaction with Steve (coach) & Ruth (nutritionist) - good luck one and all.

• Options

Hi Ruth.

Good idea to plan a food shopping list ahead of Paris.

I won’t try any new nutritional strategies. In fact, I’ve always stuck to the same carb load plan you initially suggested. Think I’ve trialled it about 5 times through Brighton Half Marathon – long training runs, and always quite liked it. I can easily buy the snacks and liquids in advance to I know exactly what I should be eating and when.

The plan is below:

Saturday Breakfast:

-          Large bowl of Shredded Wheat cereal (60g of dried cereal) with  milk.

-          1 full bagel with generous spread of honey & jam.

-          200ml glass of orange juice (approx. 130g of carbs). 

-          Black coffee.

Mid- morning:

-          500ml of low fat milkshake (approx. 50g of carbohydrates)

-          2 slices of pre-sliced malt loaf (40g). Approx.90g carbs.

Lunch: 

-          100g pasta (dried weight – 73g carbs) in tomato sauce.

-          200g low fat fruit yoghurt.

-          200ml glass of orange juice.

Mid-afternoon: 

-          250ml fruit smoothie.

-          Half banana & honey sandwich (1 slice of bread or ½ bagel)

-          200g pot of low fat fruit yoghurt (approx. 70g carbs)

Dinner:

-          100g (dried weight or around 300g cooked weight) of pasta or large jacket potato with usual foods but keep vegetables and meat/fish to small portions. 

-          Large glass of fruit juice (300ml) or full sugar diluting juice (approx. 110g carbs).

Before bed:

-          60g bowl of cereal.

-          2 slices of toast / bagel & jam (approx. 105g of carbohydrates).

Total carb intake approx. 625g (based on 9-10grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight – 66kg, which is what I currently am).

Morning of race. Breakfast:  

-          60g bowl of cereal – 3-4 hours pre race.

-          200ml glass of fruit juice – 3-4 hours pre race.

-          Bagel or 2 slices of bread with jam & large banana – 2 hours pre race.

-          Sip on 500ml of caffeine High 5 hydration drink until race start.

Are you happy for me to continue on the same plan and start it 24hrs in advance? I know some of the other runners are doing a slightly longer carb load plan for example. Is there anything I should particularly be eating on the Thursday & Friday next week if only starting this plan from Saturday AM?

You mention that during the race every 5km there is water and fruit – I’ll avoid the fruit and stick to gels every 40 mins (0:40 / 1:20 / 2:00 / 2:40). I’ll carry 3 gels in my holder, and carry a further 2 (1

• Options

Golfer - Maidenhead Easter 10m (paste into your browser)

http://www.chipresults.co.uk/

• Options
    Brilliant - thanks Mike. 1 sec quicker than I thought! Don't know why they haven't published the chip times on their website.
  • Options

Golfer & Mike – Well run at Maidenhead both. Very similar times. How accurate do you think race time predictors are? I’ve never paid any attention to them, but maybe I should. 

Early weather forecasts for Paris next week suggests a dry race day of approx. 18 degrees Celsius with little wind. Sounding positive. 

• Options

Tom - many people find predictors optimistic but I think this is code for "maybe I'm not as fit as I need to be". Remember these are often based on conversion times from elite/sub-elites so depending on where they are in the pecking order they may struggle.

Second point: if you try and compare a 1 mile or 5k time to a marathon prediction the margin of error must be huge. Obviously a HM time on a similar course would provide a better comparison

Finally, I would imagine the predictors work on even splits - if you burn your matches in the first 10 miles they can't help and of course, if you are a "super-converter" (can pull off negative splits), they may not be very accurate either!

Short answer - a guide, and I would imagine that more races have been ruined by people "believing" the prediction rather than the other way round.......no evidence, just a hunch. 

• Options
    Tom - based on my age grading, I've always found them reasonably accurate. I use www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

However, from previous observation and comments on these forums I know that quite a lot of faster guys over short distances struggle to hit their suggested marathon times. So treat with lots of caution. I'm guessing the predictor will suggest something like 2.45 for you but best to stick with the just under 3 plan!
  • Options

Well done on the 10 milers Golfer and Mike.

I do think the predictors are usually optimistic and not always accurate at distances below 10 miles.

They are better at HM though runners with great endurance and lacking relative speed sometimes run quicker than the predictions.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mike, golfer, well done on Maidenhead, great running - you must have been fairly close to each other no?

Interesting views on race predictors. From experience they've always overestimated for me...or maybe I'm just running too slow?image

Seems ver much down to the individual. 2 x HM + 15 seems to be what I usually end up on but I'll be doing my best to prove that wrong in two week's time image

Speedy - great to see you back! I'm sure it won't take long to get back into training. Wish you the best of luck.

Tom - how is the chocolate resistance going? I can tell you it's much harder when you have children and the house is full of the stuff! So far so good here but if I don't succumb to a creme egg by the end of the day it will be a miracle!

The race day kit looks awesome! Can't believe it's come up so quickly. Only 5 days until you head off, how horribly exciting! image

Steve - great to see you at Parkrun yesterday, thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated. I feel bad that you didn't get to run but you are clearly doing the right thing in looking after that calf. 

My 15 miler was in jeopardy today after colliding with a dog in the last sprint at Parkrun. It looked like it was going past but then suddenly darted across the front of me at the last moment and I clattered it in the head with my knee. 

I looked back and thankfully the dog was just fine. However, I spent the rest of Saturday nursing bruises on my knee and lower thigh. 

Decided to just get up and go this morning and if it was painful I'd head back. Luckily everything was ok and the run went really well. 15 miles in 1:52. Didn't feel easy but it didn't feel too hard either. I think (hope) that's about par for the course at this stage in the taper. 

• Options

Thanks for the feedback on race predictors. A guide they shall remain!

Interestingly, based on my 10km time, it’s predicts a HM time just 15 secs out from my HM PB which is scarily accurate.

Anyway, it predicts the following times based from 5km, 10km & HM times:

5km – 2:52

10km – 2:47

HM – 2:47

I’m going to ignore this though, and stick to my 2:55 race pace strategy.  

Malcs, resisting the choc is tough, but successful SO FAR! Poor dog – what did he do to youimage I also, had a near dog/running accident a few weeks ago. I must have scared a dog, whilst running around Tooting Common. He jolted in the opposite direction, yanked the lead out of his owners hand, and ran straight across a busy road causing a car to make an emergency stop! Seriously close one.

The calf felt a little tight towards the end of yesterday’s 5 mile run, so I pulled up after 4.5 miles as a precaution. Probably taper madness Malcs! I didn’t do my 13 miler today either. Again, more of a precaution than necessity. Instead, I went out for a lovely dog walk and reassuringly haven’t felt any discomfort at all. I expect it to be 100% for Paris as next week’s schedule is very gentle:

Mon rest
    Tue 200m reps
    Wed 4M (30 mins) easy
    Thu 3M (20 mins) easy plus strides
    Fri rest
    Sat 2M (15 mins) easy
    Sun - The race – 26.2M

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

So close now Tom and thanks for sharing the carb plan. Its very similar to my rough plan save for swapping porridge for cereal. I too also swear by the mighty malt loaf!

7 miles today for me bringing me up to 55.25 miles for the week. My highest ever and now into taper for London. Hoping to avoid the usual madness this brings with abit of pilates.

Abit of a random question but given the wealth of knowledge on this forum....any thoughts on using kinesiology tape on the legs for the marathon? Ive suffered from late race cramps on my hamstrings in the past and hear some swear by it.

• Options
    Hi Andy. I do love the malt loaf! Good question on kino tape - I actually started using it a few weeks back on my calf and have found it very good, but hadn't considered it for use of beating late run cramps. Interested to see what people recommend.....
  • Options

Some great running going on not long to go now for Tom and anyone else doing Paris , take it easy this week and stay lucky.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Last 20 miler for yesterday before London 7.10 ave for the whole run last 6 were around 6.45 pace so happy with that.Taper time now always find it hard to judge what to do any tips Steve

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Tom - I always take race time predictors with a pinch of salt.. if I put my 5k and 10k times I get marathon times of 3:01 and 3:05 but then if I do it the other way with my marathon time I get 5k and 10k times of 18:30 and 38:15. at the moment those times feel a million miles away...only a week away and I'll be watching your progress as the race goes...its been very interesting following your training highs and lows ...

• Options
    Looks as if I might be the only one who finds some value in the race predictors! Fwiw, based on my 10m time from Friday this is what it comes up with using the age grading:

Distance - prediction - my current pb (year)

5k - 19.09 - 19.11 (2014)

10k - 39.49 - 39.41 (2014)

10m - 65.28 (2015)

HM - 1.27.01 - 1.27.02 (2015)

M - 3.01.27 - 3.06.30 (2012) (3.06.49 in 2014) both VLM

I tried to do 20 yesterday but was tired before I started (also did parkrun on Sat) and bailed after 17. Not ideal but I have done five 20+milers in the last couple of months, including 22 last Sunday, so will try to put it to the back of my mind!

Malcs - are you also at VLM? 15 looks a more sensible option after your Spitfire 20 last week.

Sorry, no experience of kinesiology tape Andy.

Great to hear you expect to be 100% for next week Tom. Hope the same will apply to you Steve when we get round to the 26th.
  • Options

Went for a very gentle cycle today – only a few miles, and really just to keep active than for anything else.

That’s a quick average pace 20 mile run Jim. You must be feeling very strong.

Golfer, your times are scarily close to the predictor results!

Going to skip the track session tomorrow evening to avoid the temptation of trying to keep up with the super speedy characters. Steve has advised that I shouldn’t be going flat out at this stage so I’ll do some controlled 200m reps on my own.  

• Options

Sorry Andy have never used tape 

re tapering it's a case of doing just enough to keep the fitness and making sure you continually top up fluid levels but don't eat too much before the loading phase but not take anything away from your endurance or energy levels.

i quite like doing relaxed gentle strides to get a little pace into the legs without taking anything away.

• Options
    Thomas Rann wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.

Good idea to plan a food shopping list ahead of Paris.

I won’t try any new nutritional strategies. In fact, I’ve always stuck to the same carb load plan you initially suggested. Think I’ve trialled it about 5 times through Brighton Half Marathon – long training runs, and always quite liked it. I can easily buy the snacks and liquids in advance to I know exactly what I should be eating and when.

The plan is below:

Saturday Breakfast:

-          Large bowl of Shredded Wheat cereal (60g of dried cereal) with  milk.

-          1 full bagel with generous spread of honey & jam.

-          200ml glass of orange juice (approx. 130g of carbs). 

-          Black coffee.

Mid- morning:

-          500ml of low fat milkshake (approx. 50g of carbohydrates)

-          2 slices of pre-sliced malt loaf (40g). Approx.90g carbs.

Lunch: 

-          100g pasta (dried weight – 73g carbs) in tomato sauce.

-          200g low fat fruit yoghurt.

-          200ml glass of orange juice.

Mid-afternoon: 

-          250ml fruit smoothie.

-          Half banana & honey sandwich (1 slice of bread or ½ bagel)

-          200g pot of low fat fruit yoghurt (approx. 70g carbs)

Dinner:

-          100g (dried weight or around 300g cooked weight) of pasta or large jacket potato with usual foods but keep vegetables and meat/fish to small portions. 

-          Large glass of fruit juice (300ml) or full sugar diluting juice (approx. 110g carbs).

Before bed:

-          60g bowl of cereal.

-          2 slices of toast / bagel & jam (approx. 105g of carbohydrates).

Total carb intake approx. 625g (based on 9-10grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight – 66kg, which is what I currently am).

Morning of race. Breakfast:  

-          60g bowl of cereal – 3-4 hours pre race.

-          200ml glass of fruit juice – 3-4 hours pre race.

-          Bagel or 2 slices of bread with jam & large banana – 2 hours pre race.

-          Sip on 500ml of caffeine High 5 hydration drink until race start.

Are you happy for me to continue on the same plan and start it 24hrs in advance? I know some of the other runners are doing a slightly longer carb load plan for example. Is there anything I should particularly be eating on the Thursday & Friday next week if only starting this plan from Saturday AM?

You mention that during the race every

• Options

Hi Tim (regarding above)

Managed to cut off rest of your quote but I have answered it below.

24 hour carb load is fine for you (although if want a high carb supper snack on the Friday before bed please do!) . Extra gels is good idea in case you drop them.

5 sleeps!

• Options
    Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

Hi Tim (regarding above)

Managed to cut off rest of your quote but I have answered it below.

24 hour carb load is fine for you (although if want a high carb supper snack on the Friday before bed please do!) . Extra gels is good idea in case you drop them.

5 sleeps!

Tim - Tom! Hope this was meant for me. I think it was. 

• Options

How was the track session?

I did a 5m easy jog with some strides. Felt pretty good. 

Trying to suppress my excitement, but not doing too well! It's basically all I can think about at the moment!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jim - blimey, what an awesome long run! Great way to go into taper.

golfer - no, not doing London this year but I have GFA for next April so I hope to do it then. 

Wow, quite amazing how the race predictors are so spot on for you.

Quite right to just put that long run down to being one of those days. You clearly have had plenty more good ones. All will be fine! image 

Tom/Tim - well done on the 5 miler. I couldn't make it to track tonight either. I had planned to but time ran away with me. Ended up doing 10 x 400s. So much harder without the group! Not sure on my splits but they were definitely slower than last week. Felt good though.

So, not long now as you say. I'm not surprised you're struggling to contain the excitement. 

Got everything packed yet?

Steve - what's the latest on the calf and back? Did you run tonight?

• Options

A good looking day of food there Tom - best of luck for Paris and enjoy the whole experience! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

WHich marathon are you doing Malcs?