Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gels in hand luggage is fine as long as they are less than 100g each- they should go in one of those silly clear bags. Biscuits and sweets are fine in any quantity. I've been known to take cheese, tins of food and breakfast cereal to Switzerland image even frozen meat. No questions asked.

Legs are doing fine. I've run every day, only Monday a rest day. Slight pain in my left hammy above the knee, but otherwise everything is coming back nicely.

Back to the UK due to a very ill relative- should get out for a run later though.     

• Options

Thanks for the info, Gang.

Hope the relative situ goes positive, OO.

Went to the track tonight intending to do an easy 3 miler with some strides in the middle mile. Coach had other ideas and I'm up for trying different thing.

Ended up doing 6 x 800m at 3.15 each rep with 2 min standinag rests. Found it very easy, chatting all the way.

So that's me fully cooked. 16 weeks of 5 sessions per week, over 600 miles, not a session missed, under 13st for the first time in years, average pace 7.33 including warm ups/downs, all of this is an improvement on the VLM16 campaign.

Whatever happens on Sunday, there's a lot of personal achievement in that last paragraph. A sub-3.10 would be nice but we all know the fickle mistress Lady Marathon can be! We'll see how it goes. 

GD

• Options

OO - Sorry to hear about your relative. Glad to hear you are feeling ok though. 

Abbers - For some reason I thought your Salisbury race was a 10 miler. Sounds like you're looking forward to it and have a positive mindset. Fingers crossed & who knows you might surprise yourself. Personal targets aside, 7mm approx. for 13.1 miles is very decent and I think sometimes we lose perspective of that. Keep at it and enjoy your running. 

G-Dawg - I hope you get the ROI your campaign deserves. Are you able to post your race number? I'd love to do Berlin one day. 

Lorenzo - I like the sound of that run of yours. I have my head torch in the car as my son has now moved up to cub scouts now, which means a much later start of 7pm and it finishes at 8:30pm. Good news for me though as I can get some decent mid week mileage in when I have him. I'd ideally like to make that my 10 miler for those weeks and that should keep me reasonably fit endurance wise over the winter months. 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Good luck on Sunday, GD.  You are in fine shape. Just keep your head screwed on and take it easy and your training will do the rest.  It's forecast to be quite warm so no crazy fast early miles and you should be pleased with your result. image

• Options

Great stats there G-Dawg. It looks like you have been consistently consistent. Best of luck for Sunday.

I presume you didn't take any Alpen to Switzerland 0053? I'm impressed you got the frozen meat through baggage control even through pretty random. What was the story behind that?

Beach BBQ sounds great GM. Beach anything sounds great.

Nice tempo run Abbers

• Options

GM - Never been to Yorkshire? Utterly unbelievable!! Good lunchtime run.
    Lorenzo - I was slacking a bit there, wasn't I? I could have got up at 3am and put in a few miles! However I didn't want to risk nodding off during the training course!
    Abbers - Nice 1 and 0.5 mile efforts! At least you won't peak too soon. And good tempo run too!
    GD - sorry to hear about your bike - hope it's not put too much of a dampener on things. All the the best in Berlin! You seem to be in great shape.
    Leslie - hope you've learned your lessonimage
    KR - long run on a Friday night doesn't sound very appealing!
    OO - sorry to hear about your relative.
    Thanks to Poacher for the suggestion of running on the towpath. I did 5 easy miles on Wednesday evening - bit of an unusual experience for me especially as there were other people around including lots of runners. Thursday morning I did 9 miles inc. 16 x 0.2M reps. Out much later than usual (6:18) as I thought I'd better wait until there was some daylight when I got out of the immediate city centre. Got a bit frustrating having to negotiate all the other people on the towpath when doing fast stuff though. But the most surprising and disappointing thing was how few people replied when I wished them a good morning - I thought Yorkshire folk were meant to be friendly - probably all visitors on training courses! 6 mile recovery run this morning.

• Options

OO - bad news about your relative. Hope everything's OK.

GM - there's a Salisbury 10 mile race as well every March. The HM used to be over most of the same course, but now heads out of the city in a different direction. We're quite well served with local events. I'm quite relaxed about targets/results for this one, so will just run as well as I can on the day and see what happens. Sounds like good evening opportunities for mid-week double figure runs there!

KR - when/what is your autumn HM?

GD - good work fitting your morning runs in during your training course. Sounds like the towpath was busy!

Rest day for me today, but will don some strength/conditioning work tonight before a long run early tomorrow.

• Options

So, the autumn marathon season begins!  Best of luck to GD and MsE (hope the lurgy has shifted).

Sorry to hear your news, OO. Hope things are as ok as they can be in that sort of situation.

Prom Run (5 miles) for me last night.  A solid 30.29 and finished as 1st lady.  Legs still feel a bit tight and tired, and I'm a bit annoyed that a slow 4th mile into a headwind cost me a pb (6.17 when other miles were between 6.02 and 6.06 and pb is 30.20...) but I couldn't quite overtake the group I was with to latch onto the next group.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

quick "Good Luck" shout to G-Dawg, MsE  . . . . .

• Options

Tonight's my window of opportunity Gul for a reasonable long one (15miles+). I thought most runners were quite sociable - you must have looked dodgyimage

Autumn HM is the Leicester half at the end of October Abbers.

A great time and position Jools - looking good

Good luck for the marathoners this Sunday - go get em!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You keep delivering the results Jools. Remind me which mara you are targeting?

Sounds like everything is on track GD. The very best of luck to you and MSE this weekend. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'll do parkrun tomorrow then land around 45 miles with my LSR

• Options

Chicago: 2 weeks on Sunday.

• Options

Best of luck to GD and MsE this weekend if I don't get on again before Sunday! Have a great day image

• Options
    Best of luck to GD and MsE - would love to go back and run Berlin again

Well done to the Hull tourists last weekend - smashing runs from OO and Poacher and well battled out to the finish Woldsman

GD - my son's bike was stolen last week after being at uni for 4 days - annoying

Gul, you need to say hello to folks in Lancashire - much friendlier.

Good luck to KR for the footy - I'm enjoying the sharp decline in United's form after being schooled by the blue shirted heroes the other week (waves to GM)

PMJ - hope your time on the rack is productive but sounds painful to me

Some early swimrun sessions again this week (starting in the dark in the lake is interesting - training buddy wore a head torch in the water!). Also been hitting the bike hard and body feeling ok whilst still ticking over some run mileage. All good image
  • Options

SJ - Good to hear you are ticking over nicely. That lake swim sounds a bit scary but fun at the same time. As much as it pains me to say you were the deserved winners of the derby and look very strong. The league cup tie will be a ding dong battle. You may recall I mentioned sometime ago that Jersey is staging the Breca swim run event? It's tomorrow. It's meant to be 24c, so that should take it's toll on the run. A few of my buddies are doing it. Nutters!image

Does anyone know if Berlin is being televised? Looking forward to seeing Bekele run. Good luck to MsE and G-Dawg, I hope you both smash it! 

• Options

Quiet day today - does that mean that everyone's been glued to the darts on TV?!

Nothing much to report from me - 6.5 miles commuting yesterday and then Ruhsmoor (Aldershot) parkrun this morning in a rather disappointing time of 19:47 having done 19:22 on the same course a couple of years ago. Taking a positive out of it, it's a bit of a kick up the backside to make sure that I do some more speedwork.

Highlight of the run was the appearance of Ben Smith on the 390th of his 401 marathons in 401 day (http://www.the401challenge.co.uk/) - a quick 5K before heading off down the Basingstoke canal. Hats off to a guy who's raised close to £150K for Stonewall and Kidscape so far

Cuba tonight on the Random Country Generator so I knocked up a rather good Ropa Vieja and Cuban-style rice. image

Heading out on the trails with a mate tomorrow morning - looks like it'll be perfect weather for it.

Viele gluck to MsE and G-Dawg.

• Options

Loernzo - It certainly is quiet on here today. You did much better than me today. Old ropey clothes for dinner hey! image

Poor outing for me today. Got to the start early and did a mile and a bit warm and had bad tunny cramps. Tried to go out at a similar pace as last week and by 3k I was done. Just couldn't muster the power or leg speed for the tough last 2k on the trail path and finished in 20:25. Can't really expect to run well on this course with two runs this week and it's a reminder in terms of where I am right now, but on a positive note, today's run marked the 1 year anniversary for Jersey parkrun and there was a big turn out.300 plus runners which is a record, and there was cake at the end! image

• Options
    GM, Breca Buttermere was awesome - hope your buddies had a great time at the Jersey race - the pre-race photos looked great

Long and windy all day bike ride today around Bowland which included sandwiches cakes and several beers. Perfect training image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I was in the same territory at parkrun 20:05. Thought I was over the marathon but clearly not.

• Options
    Sorry to hear the various parkrunners didn't hit the times they wanted. Hard to run well every time you put the trainers on though, for all sorts of reasons. Sessions banked, move on!

SJ - nice carb loading on you ride. Need to keep your energy up after all!

14 for me early yesterday at just over 8mm. Not as comfortable as last weekend, but that's the furthest I've run for a while. On 39 for the week - might have to fit in a short recovery jog later to nudge over 40!

Hope the Berlinners are going well.
  • Options

Quiet on here!

OO: give yourself a chance - that marathon was last week, IIRC.  I don't usually even jog until the Friday or Saturday after a marathon and would definitely be slower than 20 mins for 5k!

12M with some sluggish 500m efforts yesterday and a rather better last 'long' run of 17M today @ 7.49m/m.

Hope everyone's races went to plan today image

• Options
    Nice Long run Jools.

Wonder how the Berliners got on!? Watched the live stream of the race, great win for Bekele.

SJ - I didn't get to see any of the Breca yesterday but my mate's team came 4th and two others I know cane 2nd. No idea who won.
  • Options
    Hi Gang! Currently in a swanky 10th floor bar in a Berlin hotel, not mine.

Report to follow but I found it warm here today. However still scored a PB with a 3.09. Bloody over the moon!

Getting sloshed so will report tomorrow. Thanks for being such an inspirational bunch.

Hope it went well for MsE too.

GD
  • Options
    Excellent G-Dawg, well done! Party time wohoo!
  • Options
    Well done GD - cracking time! Enjoy the beer, very well deserved image
  • Options
    Great work GD! Enjoy those beers, you deserve them. Looking forward to a full report in due course.

Nice weekend's work from Jools too.

Managed to get out for an easy 3 this afternoon following the Ms As on their bikes, so finished with 42 for the week.
  • Options
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Congratulations GD! Hope you're enjoying celebrating your hard work now. I've just arrived back in London. Waiting for a cab home. Quick report: I wasn't sure what shape I was in having not raced since London 2015. I decided to give it a good MRP effort to halfway and then reassess. At halfway I was just under 91 mins so decided it wasn't worth chasing a time nowhere near my PB and pulled the effort level back to soak in the experience and remind myself what racing in big crowds with noisy supporters is like. Came home in 3:07:47. Pleased not to have sprained an ankle this time and look forward to training for the spring marathon.