Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    In no particular order:
    BB - fantastic. Beautifully paced and a top 10 age group ranking is superb.  It's hard for the rest of us to imagine how you handle the training load and run like than on race day.
    Gul - you must be in good shape now. Cotton wool time.  Road or trail shoes for the coastal?
    GM - +1 for acupuncture, no idea how it works but it does
    GD - keep the faith and remember that Abo is a nice fast course.
    Birch - just spotted that there's a cheeky marathon along the Huddersfield canal on Saturday. Not your part of Yorkshire but are you not tempted to head over?  
    Freemers - congrats on the elite status  ;)
    Lorenzo - I received a LinkedIn notification - very impressed by your new position.

24m last week, probably the biggest non-racing week since January. The road back is long and hard.

GFA also arrived - probably green start again - Lorenzo/OO are you expecting to be red?  Not that the start pen makes any difference to anything. LM no.13 for me, hope that's not unlucky.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher - afraid not - my legs were bad enough towards the end of my 15 on Sat - no way I could tackle even 20 at the moment. 

13 not necessarily unlucky, btw, 2015 was my 13th London completion, and although my slowest in absolute terms, was one of my best in terms of age - not that much different to my PB in WAVA grading  . . .   
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     . .   that made me check - both actually the same !!   So, Poacher - calculate the WAVA grade for your PB, apply it to your current age, and you have your 2018 target ;)
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    3.05:30.  Two chances of that....slim, and no way. GFA will still be 3.20 which is more realistic.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - I remember that Boston 2011 race well. The times were ridiculous that day and down to two things really. They had a strong tailwind almost all the way and the American Ryan Hall (the great American white hope now retired) took that race out hard. He had broken the American half record and run 59:4x a few years previous and he went out hard that day and finished 4th in 2:04:5x. It doesn't stand as a NR though because of the very nature of the course being point to point. Bloody exciting race though and no better feeling when you are just trucking! 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    BB that's a really enjoyable report.
    Birch, so glad you are feeling better. Friends and beer usually help.
    Poacher hope we are together in London- assume Im red.
    Nice week in Geneva, only slow plods so far.
  • Options
    Birch - a day out walking on the moors is great therapy.
    PMJ - great weekend by the sound of it.
    Poacher - I think you're in danger of overtraining. If it's dry, I think I could get away with road shoes for the coastal mara. Looking at the race instructions, the worst bit will be a beach section from Wells to Holkham, but there are still long sections of the coastal path I haven't explored even though it's so close at hand. But I may as well use my trail shoes.
    5 easy miles this morning. Things got a bit chaotic then, so only just got around to posting.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - IMO go for road shoes if at all possible. The terrain sounds similar to Portsmouth which is very multi-terrain but I always use roadies.  The exception would be if you think there's going to be vast amounts of mud.  Road shoes are fine on the beach.

So Lorenzo is 26694 and I am 26709 which is spookily close.  OO you are too fast for us so you will probably be on red with your own personal portaloo, heated changing tent, choice of snacks etc.

GM - Boston is overall about 400ft downhill isn't it? So allowing records to be set would be a bit dodgy...
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Checked some campaign stats last night. Before the Abo run I'll have run 652 campaign miles. For Berlin (PB) last year I just about sneaked over 600 and had never hit 600 campaign miles previously. I didn't think I'd hit a new campaign best total for this one. I know that's small beer for some of you but for me I'm pleasantly surprised, hopefully the quality is there and it will count for something.

Went for a steady-ish 5 miler last night. Traffic issues and not really feeling in form meant I didn't feel as easy as I would have liked. Tried to keep it all in the 6.5x area and averaged 6,52. Had to rein it in for the last 2 miles as I did start to feel quite good.

12 miles steady or slower tonight. Busy weekend for me and my pal, so we're bringing the longer run forward.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - Yes that's right, the decrease in elevation apparently must not exceed 1m per km and Boston is something like 3m per km, coupled with the point to point course it counts as a world best but not a world record.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the radio silence.  I had an impromptu trip to Provence at the weekend and cycled up Ventoux and then rushed to submit an article in time for World Mental Health Day yesterday.  It is here in case you are curious (cannot do clever link thing).  Will catch up over the course of the day.  Especially to see how BB did and how Gerard is doing. And, of course, because I like to see how you all are! https://www.fastrunning.com/training/health/im-a-runner-so-why-am-i-talking-about-mental-health/8462
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A good article there, MsE. Running definitely helps my mental state, makes me more alert and more productive. Thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Well done, it's very interesting and thank you for sharing it.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are right Poacher- I definitely deserve preferential treatment ;)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    12 casual ones at 7.23 pace tonight. Bit wet. 
    Next double digit run will be in 10 days...
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Nice casual pace. 

I just received an email from the organisers of Amsterdam mara to say please note it's going to be hotter than expected. It doesn't look too bad to me, maybe 20-21c max. Not ideal mara running weather as it's forecast to be sunny as well as warm, but that's the least of my worries. The foot has been twinging the past few days and I rested today again and will be travelling tomorrow, so no more running for me before other than a planned jog on Friday morning with my sister around The Hague. I will be on line when I get there but my race number is 5001. This is the start of an unknown journey in so many respects but I'll have fun no matter what the outcome. See you later guys. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good vibes heading your way, Gerard . . . . . .
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Go for it, GM! I was think about you during the weather forecast last night. It does indeed look like a warm one. I hate the warm races. It was 26 degrees in Boston this year and a blistering sun making it feel warmer. 

Hydrate well and look after that foot. Have a great run. Good number as well.  B)
  • Options
    Poacher - given the location, it's highly likely to be damp underfoot so I'll wear trail shoes in case of mud I think.
    GD - not long now; plenty of cotton wool.
    MsE - great article and nice trip to Provence.
    GM - all the best; at least you should be used to the heat!
    Woke up too late for a long run this morning; so 9 miles with 6 railway bridge sprints and 10x100m strides. Last chance for a long run this week tomorrow as we're away for my father-in-law's 75th birthday this weekend (ironically about 1 mile from the coastal mara finish).
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Just off to the airport now for the 1st leg of the journey. London first then Hamsterjam (I like that Jools). Take care all and will drop in later. 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Safe travels and safe race, Gerard.  Look after yourself so you get home in decent shape.
  • Options
    G-Dawg said:
    12 casual ones at 7.23 pace tonight. Bit wet. 
    Next double digit run will be in 10 days...
    7.5 at 7:20 but it was a bit harder than casual but not as hard as tempo.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Track session tonight.
    Session was 5 x 1 mile with 2 min recoveries. Coach went easier on me due to taper week two and put me in the group doing 6.2x pace.
    Legs a little tired after the last 3 days but did find it a good session with plenty of chatting which showed we weren't going too hard but did get a good sweat on.

So that's all speedwork done and now down to a few short runs at MP over the next week and a bit.

Looking foward to tracking runners I know on Sunday doing Birmingham and Hamsterjam.

GO, GO, GO, GM!!
  • Options

Sounds like your taper is going to plan GD - just need to wrap everything in cotton wool now!

GM - have fun in Hamsterjam :D

A couple of decent treadmill sessions this week - including one in a hotel in Birmingham that was actually one of the best hotel gyms I've been in for a while, with good quality treadmills and - wait for it - air conditioning!!!  I'm staying away from intervals until I need to build them into a proper marathon plan in the new year - so concentrating on just getting up to a decent speed.  Today was 5 miles increasing from 12 to 13kph.  Not quick but it's the best I can manage!

• Options
    PMJ - nice > casual < tempo run.
    GD - good final speed session at slightly less than full pelt. Definitely need to take care now!
    Freemers - plenty of time yet - don't peak too soon!
    Woke up in good time this morning and out at 3:45 for my final long run before the coastal. Remembered one of TR's bits of advice and didn't burn any more matches. So 18 miles with 7 slow @ 8:43 and 11 easy @ 8:02. Brings up 52 for the week with 2 rest days to follow. Off to the coast this evening.
    GM - all the best in hamsterjam - hope it works out and you have a great day.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Freemers - Great to see you getting back to it. The speed will come back. 

G-Dawg - You're in fine shape! Yes, I thought you'd like the race number. 

Gul - Excellent run and well done on holding back with the pace. 

Artived here last night. It's loveiy. Lots of people cycling everywhere along the canals. Went into town today to collect my number. It was a quick in and out within 5 mins. Went for a 5k jog with my sister this morning  and the foot held up well. Will go for another light jog tomorrow and then just chill. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Gul: I never cease to be amazed at your early starts, especially at this time of year.  Something about the days shortening brings out a response in me that I crave more sleep: getting out of the door at 7am felt like an achievement today!  Great long run.

GM
    : glad the foot feels ok. Amsterdam is a lovely city, and from what I remember of the race, a nice event.  Sounds like you have the plan right for tomorrow!

8 miles with 8 sets of strides for me.  1st cross-country of the season tomorrow.  Cardiff again. I seem to be racing in Cardiff a lot at the moment!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    fine mile reps, G-Dawg & seems it was pitched just right  . . .

good work on the 'mill Freemers - do you use music ?    
    Gul - nice match-saving ; always good as well to accomplish such a run on Friday & enjoy a well earned (and guilt free) weekend break !    

Gerard - I feel good vibes for you - its nearly time !  

Jools - good luck with the XC - our county league starts too this weekend.
    Seems incredible that I actually won the thing (VoGit60 cat) 2 years ago, given my state now, but would be foolhardy to do the series this time, given the still ongoing hamstring issue (into its 5th month now) . I'm ok going in a straight line at easy pace, but any intensity or lateral movement, and I know about it !  

Still, able to complete a very pleasant 15 in the sun, on the trail & towpath with my daughter this morn - (well, until my legs started to "go" in the last couple of miles  . . .  
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - Thanks and glad you enjoyed a nice 15 with your daughter. 
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good luck racers. DBS.

While GM is enjoying Dutch canals and the many nearby cafes ;) I will be running along the Huddersfield canal in the rain. Living the dream.