Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    A few possibilities in here, PMJhttps://runnersconnect.net/anterior-tibialis-tendonitis/

Awesome racing, BB.  Best of luck at Chester.

Glad to hear you had a good MLR, Birch.  Seems you are heading in right direction over time.
  • Options
    Birch - great to hear how much you enjoyed that 12 miler. And one week before the taper, so just one or two long runs to go.
    Poacher - and the lesson is do less than a 100 miles a month! It's a different course to last year's coastal, so I'm hoping it will be a tad faster. 3:30 would be nice and maybe finishing one or two places higher. Sub 3:20 (as well as very unlikely) would just be annoying as it won't count as a GFA!
    Badbark - that's incredible. You certainly are in top form. Go smash it as Chester!
    Leslie - that's 162.5% increase in mileage - careful now ;) 
    GM - will be  a tough one for you. Hope there's an improvement soon.
    PMJ - sorry to hear that. Any swelling after the parkrun?
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Belated happy birthday GDawg I've been

Sorry to hear about your injury PMJ- wondered where you'd gone. Doesn't sound like a regular injury so hopefully one-off and will pass.

Congrats BB on the great 10k. I'm sure if you really focused (i.e. just ran a 10k with a few speed sessions no extras), you'd easily smash that PB- one for later maybe.

I've had an odd week. Started well but then work got in the way. Yesterday I volunteered to tail run/walk the parkrun, followed by XC in the afternoon. Ran my customary Cr*p pace at the XC then limped round my LSR at 9m/miles for 14 miles this morning. Ended up with 45 for the week but form is pretty indifferent.

In other news my boss has asked me to stick around for a few extra months next year (with some incentives) so I may need to put off retirement until next summer- for no other reason than finances.

Take care all- should have more time next week.   

• Options
    MsE said:
    Think that is it: at least when I try the exercises it hurts more than normal. 

Symptoms tend to occur in patients that are middle aged or older.

Nice :-)

Seems the treatment is normal: a bit of rest, run on softer surfaces, drink more beer.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Cardiff Half for me today: 1.27.13, so 41s faster than Bristol 2 weeks ago. And I am now within 5.5 minutes of current pb and 7.5 minutes of Ultimate Dream Time... getting there!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Those are very ambitious targets Jools but another step up in your progression
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    My daughter attended her 5th Bangor 10k yesterday - how time flies!

• Options
    That's a great set of pictures. Love them!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - I love this! 
  • Options
    Great set of pictures Badbark - well worth continuing to do that right up until she beats you!! Great running to  hit your PB. Can't wait to hear how you get on at Chester.

Belated happy 50th G-Dawg - hope you had a good day. Always good to celebrate with a muddy run.

Jools - that time isn't shabby. Good to see that you're making good progress on the road to full recovery.

Gul - good to see that you've hit the Enter button. With the kind of paces you've been managing on long and short runs recently, I'm sure you'll do well as long as your head's in the right place on race day. Mental preparation is key.

Good to hear that your latest run was both enjoyable and comfortable Birch - bodes well.

Fingers crossed things sort themselves OK GM - did the Rioja help? Are you going to be trying acupuncture?

After a couple of days off at the beginning of the week, I've managed 29 for the week so a sensible cutback. Total for the week included the Club Handicap (just under 4 miles) in which I finished 3rd out of the 3 members of the Lorenzito clan who ran, with Mrs L taking 1st place just ahead of younger Lorenzito. As a result, she's decided that she fancies running in the local XC league this season!!! Would she appreciate a set of spikes as a belated birthday present?! :)

15 muddy miles this morning with 5 other chaps from the club - all good fun.

Total for last month was 236 miles, my biggest September on record and leaving me well on track to hit 2,000 by the end of the year.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Lorenzo great family performance, even if you came 3rd ;)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lovely BB, are they all different club vests?
  • Options
    Jools - encouraging progress.
    PMJ - if the cure includes more beer, do you think the cause is too little beer?
    Badbark - love those photos - priceless.
    Lorenzo - great family performance. And I'm sure you're right about the mental preparation.
    12 mile MLR this morning with 10 @ 7:45 m/m
  • Options
    Jools sub 80 is a might fine goal and I'm sure you will get there .
    Badbark cracking set of pics your daughter has really taken a grown spurt in the last one.
    Lorenzo I didn't realise mrs L was so speedy to beat the youngun ! slowest in the house the shame lol ! still the mileage king though can't that will take some beating ...

Went out for 20m this morn but had to walk after 5m and jog/walk the next 5 to get home ( 11:31 average !)  it's all over folks, thrown the towel in, only carded 8m last week and it's getting harder every week .Think/fairly sure I'm having a burnout now ..easy pace is hard work and no speed at all and struggling after just a couple of miles ....

• Options
    September was 160.93 miles in 22:23:53 so an average pace of 8:21. I am normally raround7:50 average so that slow marathon has made a big swing. 

Total for 2017 is 1,523 and I need 1,500 by end of September for 2,000 in the year so still on target. Will see how the tendon behaves in the next few days.
  • Options

Leslie - sorry to hear that; but it does sound like you need a complete rest for a while. Take care.
    PMJ - hope your tendon issue doesn't take too long to clear up and you can keep on course for your target.
    Got my monthly total wrong at the weekend - it was actually 265 and 1658 for the year. So should comfortably clear 2,000 but the poor start to the year has ruled out 2,500.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - I'm really sorry to read about this. :(

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Get some good rest, Leslie, sorry to hear the run was a bad experience.  :(

Great monthly total there, Lorenzo.

Managed 189 for September, my second biggest month ever.  

Treated myself to a day off for birthday recovery today and to return the house back to normal. Nipped out for a cheeky 8 miler at 6.40 pace. Still feeling strong, just need to taper sensibly, especially from next week when intensity will lower as well as distance.

VLM18 mags are out today. Got my GFA through this morning. It's getting harder for the ballot entry guys, over 350,000 this year.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Leslie: I think I was pretty close to burnt out in the summer. I'd pushed too hard trying to regain fitness after my end of season break and absolutely everything hurt.  I DNF'd in a 5km in late June and then didn't really run for much of that week.  I built up really gradually, didn't race for 2 months, and I'd say it's only in the last month that I've started to feel hungry to make myself hurt during training/racing (hurt in a good way).  Although I'm now much slower than I was earlier this year, I do feel so much fresher, physically and psychologically.  Take the time off and then enjoy running easy.  Smell the roses (if there are any in the winter!). Enjoy the views.  Sod the pace.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Really gutted for you Leslie you were looking so solid. I think a rest is in order. I don't necessarily think you need 2 months- really depends how the recovery goes, but for sure not worth rushing it.

VLM confirmation through today- here we go again.

• Options
    Gul Darr said:

PMJ - hope your tendon issue doesn't take too long to clear up and you can keep on course for your target.
    Got my monthly total wrong at the weekend - it was actually 265 and 1658 for the year. So should comfortably clear 2,000 but the poor start to the year has ruled out 2,500.

Tendon seems to be going in the right direction. Have to say MSe's diagnosis was very helpful I was minded to a stress fracture but the article was quite clear and common sense indeed says a fracture going to hurt pretty much all the time and not just for specific moves.

Good total there. My best year was 2014 with 2,309 miles (1,754 by the end of September).
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Well I can't say that this was fun! Saw the chiro/acupuncturist today. Confirmed a bad case of PF. The one on the sole was so painful I almost passed out and was dripping in sweat. Not uncommon apparently. Anyway, she applied quite a few in trigger points and it seems to have settled down a tad. I have to go back on Thursday and next Monday and maybe one more before I leave for Amsterdam next Thursday. £85 a pop too. :( Luckily I have private cover. 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    You can't always push for a date, Leslie. I learnt that the hard way and let my body guide what I can do. I've wasted so many race entries optimistically thinking I would be healed and trained by a future date.  Relax and let yourself have a good all round break from it.

Good stuff, Gerard. Now do as you are told.

PMJ - I have had it a touch but caught it early to avoid it becoming chronic.  Am sure you can do the same.  Am now hyper aware if it tries to creep back.  All injuries are a sign your body is struggling somewhere, so hope you can find out what it is telling you.
  • Options
    GM - ouch! Sounds like you're taking a sensible approach - just hope that everything's OK in 10 days time. If you don't feel 100%, you'll just have to go over anyway and enjoy the Amsterdam scene. ;)

Leslie - you probably just need a few weeks off to regain your mojo. Stay positive.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, the Lorenzito clan didn't manage a 1-2-3 in the club handicap race last week! It was just that Mrs L finished ahead of younger Lorenzito who showed me a clean pair of heels and had caught me up about 3/4 of the way round.

It's a really good event - everyone who competes is given a start time based on their 5K/10K time (e.g. younger Lorenzito started about 2 1/2 minutes after me, while Mrs L started about 10 mins before me) and the aim is that everyone finishes at roughly the same time. Points are based on when you finish, rather than who manage the quickest running time. I suspect that I'll be having my handicap decreased for the next race!

3.5 miles easy this morning.
  • Options
    GD - speedy 8 miler.
    PMJ - must read up and do some self-diagnosing; no idea what it is that flares up when I overdo it.
    GM - let's hope the acupuncture works.
    Lorenzo - never ran in a handicap but sounds like fun.
    Recovery run turned out to be in easy pace range rather than slow today (i.e. < 8:30 and not > 8:30). 6 miles d&d.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just seen something on Facebook regarding the VLM18 mags. It seems the guy used in the front cover photo for the "You're In" magazine actually received a "Sorry" mag.
    Surely that can't be right!?  :D
  • Options
    Thanks all I'm sure its something most of us who train hard will experience sooner or later .I had one a few years back trying to do a second mara about 6-8 weeks after a disappointing one ,I kept the hammer down until the wheels completely fell of and I ended up barely able to walk with a while of in bed with pains in all my joints, and all within a few weeks ..not something Id even want to happen again ! I had a fantastic first half of the year and really made progress this year for the first time in ages.

Jools glad its all going the right way again, luckily the racing season is over now so it will be easy to wind it back . Without the pressure and strain of very long runs and a mara deadline looming I think I would have been ok but its always easy to say this after the event !
    Gdawg that's a cracking 8 miler !
    PMJ and what a year 2014 was for you .
    Gerard I can just imagine you saying hurry up with these bloody pics before I pass out ,looks and sounds like hell, rather you then me but needs must .
    MSE good advice I think the writing was on the wall for me the start of  last month when I dns that half but we all hope it will come together again in time.
    Lorenzo I just couldn't figure how MRS L had become so fast without us knowing about it !
    0054 back in the mara cycle again ,relentless isn't it , my mind is closed to London at the minute it will come round far to quick this time.
    Gul great when they go better than planned ,maybe its the new work and less early starts?
    Feeling relieved its all over for this cycle will look for some roses to smell or failing that some cake which tends not to go out of season !

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - You'll be back stronger, fitter and quicker than ever I am sure. :) They were in for about 15 mins. Most of them you forget about but 2 of them I couldn't. The foot is showing small signs of progress, back on Thursday a.m. for more and then Saturday. Happy to take the pain if it works, even if it's a bit horrible.
  • Options
    MsE said:

PMJ - I have had it a touch but caught it early to avoid it becoming chronic.  Am sure you can do the same.  Am now hyper aware if it tries to creep back.  All injuries are a sign your body is struggling somewhere, so hope you can find out what it is telling you.
    I know precisely what my body is trying to tell me and it has been doing so for years. When I am running well I get a good mix of everything and that means all parts get a decent workout. If I pick up a niggle or injury then I try and carry on running and compensate for the injury and that means some parts get overworked and other parts underworked.  I was getting a touch of plantar fasciitis and heel drops are good for that, but I am too lazy to do them in a regimented manner so decided a lot of uphill running (which is pretty much the same with a lot of weight on the toes) would do and indeed it helped to strengthen the calf muscles. The trouble with that is that muscles come in opposed pairs and the shin opposes the calf (i.e. calf for heel drop, shin for toe raise) so this has caused shin problems. 

I should do a load more core exercises, in fact I should do some core exercises. Maybe now #4 is at uni I have a bit more time to do these.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

6k lunch cycle along the prom today. Yawn! But better than being stuck indoors all day.