Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Christ Matt - impressive. I did 2.39 for my 23 and luckily I had just enough energy left to ask the in laws for a sugary coffee when I crawled along the driveway image. New to this big mileage stuff!

Good stuff Scott too..

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great season's best for that 1500 Simon.  Hope you enjoy marathon training.  It certainly makes a change from track stuff.  I'm pretty sure I know which one I prefer.

Matt, a sub 2:40 in training is very impressive indeed - I haven't even been able to do that in a race! - but it's not exactly textbook.  Some people do really well off very very hard marathon training, and I hope you're one of them, but it's not something I'd have done if I'm honest.

Have a good break Bus.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt - Dean mentioned that he'd take Scott for all distances from 5k up on potential, and it's pretty clear he has some outrageous ability that just depends on health and fitness.

However, I don't think you'd be left wanting if you really fancied putting it on the line after the right training setup. A lot of times you've mentioned you didn't fancy racing etc, if you did, imagine the ability!

Went out aiming to progress last week's 4miles easy, 4miles steady, and was pleased to end the last half mile at MP, meaning the mile average was 6.10.

First 4miles at easy didn't feel a peach, so I was wondering how steady would come out, but a mix of it "mattering" and a nice slopey start to the section meant a nice 6.19 to start, 6.20,6.23, and then the final mile 6.10

The breathing muscles clearly take a little warming up at the moment, as i went from thinking i won't be able to handle steady pace, to comfortably rampaging that, and then ramping it up

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PP (if you're lurking) - looks like we're having a race tomorrow!

http://www.britishmilersclub.com/content/bmcitemdisplay.aspx?itemid=1143

I'm calling this "Operation Don't Get Lapped By Dean Lacy"

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dachs - Ah bugger, does this mean I might have to actually race?! image  One or two names ringing bells there. Alex G could be good for helping us round, we ran the Dulwich 5k together in June and he pipped me at the finish.

Dean - Massive congrats on Lyon. MD is my favourite for spectator interest and that was one hell of a finish! Really enjoyed following your progress and reports on the races.  True beliefe!!  image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PP, yep, afraid you'll have to race.  Fancy following the pacer in 70s? image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Well I won't be in front, so yeah, definitely following!

I'd like to have a go at my pb, conditions permitting. So a 3:08 first km is what I've got in my head, and see how it goes from there. Possibly.  image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers pp.

oh! a head to head.  place your bets gents...  a couple of PBs

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

And what's next for you Dean?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

http://youtu.be/yGbwWh9hGrI

For those interested this is footage of my heat.   You can see at 700 I'm itching to speed up and holding off cabrera twice in the last 200.

also missed earlier but good to see SG and ric get their wheels going well again

Talking of wheels, having just watched this, ahem!, footage, I have a sense of why Dean happens to be so fast.

Really, it's the biomechanics. If all you could see was his top half you could be fooled into thinking he was riding a bike.

The other guys in that heat were flailing about, leaning back or too upright while Dean has this perfect forward lean, feet dropping beneath him, barely a hint of pronation or contra rotation. Align this to a good engine and it all adds up.

All round, a solid looking runner.

Very! image

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    alehouse wrote (see)

And what's next for you Dean?

peroni, lots of image   but if i can still move beyond that lot a BMC grand prix in solihull on sat for 1500m  and hopefully an 800m at stretford on tuesday then track is over for another yr.

• Options

Some good training going on here post-Dean's success. Cracking Mara and Half-mara training runs!

The Bus wrote (see)

Garmin has gone a bit weird - it's telling me I did 35 activities at 9.34 last night!

Oh that old chestnut! Caused by Garmin's lack of understanding of time zones. I always delete the history before going somewhere abroad otherwise that happens.

Working near Cardiff this week so a nice 70mins progression run along the Taff in the cool morning sun. Last km was NAD race pace too, nice to see it is there, albeit well hidden most of the time. Just shy of 8 miles inc WU and CD.

• Options

Out in the US for a week's work. Did 9 this morning: was lost at the start and asked a runner the way and ended up doing 6 miles with Andrea Walkonen who is running the 2016 US Olymipcs Trial marathon (see http://www.marathonguide.com/news/exclusives/2016USAOlympicTeamTrialsMarathon/QualifierLists/CreateReports.cfm?Order=IndividualRank&Sex=F

Luckily she was on a recovery and I managed to hold a good conversation with her just faster than 7 m/m. 3 back home was a bit slower.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A thread smack down on the track! Good luck guys.

Dachs, I'm fed up of textbook. image Doing Dublin was about finding out what it's all about and seeing what works and what doesn't ahead of a proper go at another marathon next year. 18 mile fell races and 24 hour endurance races aren't in the P and D book either but where's the fun in that.image

Legs were fine enough for a 4 mile shake out later the same day for a 31 mile day and I've ran 2 easy doubles since. Sports massage last night and another easy day tomorrow.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I haven't been on here for bloody ages, but some ridiculous running going on...

Dean - World medallist??  Awesome!  Watched that heat back and you made it look very easy indeed.  I loved when the Spanish bloke had a go a couple of times on the final lap and you just held him off with such ease.  Great racing.

Matt - you are a bloody machine.  Running a sub 2:40 marathon back and forth along a 3 mile stretch and not even properly trying is ridiculous.  And then adding in a second run the same day.  Wow.

You've got to have the potential to represent England/GB if you get the training right and stay healthy.  What's the marathon qualifying standard for Commonwealth Games?  2:16ish?  I bet you can do that by 2018.

As for me - training's been a bit up and down over the past couple of months since my Edinburgh Marathon performance.  A month of taking it relatively easy but getting back into it with some solid training including 45+ mile weeks with 3x sessions per week but work changed and I've been struggling to fit it all in.  Re-jigged the plan a bit so I'll be aiming at 5x per week instead of 6 with 2x sessions - 5k focus to start with then 10k focus then build up to HM in November.

I managed a third place at a local hill race with the club - 8 miles of fairly tasty hills in 55:02 which I was pretty pleased with and a Parkrun PB of 18:05.  Going to have a go at Parkrun again next weekend and hopefully get under the 18 mins with some better pacing (I set off at 17:30 pace last time and bonked a bit after 3k).

• Options

Good stuff CC82. Bonking after 3k will take some energy out though image

Good to see a track showdown with Dachs getting PPs old legs moving!! enjoy, both its a great track down there.

Did 6 x 1500 last night, on the road for 800 and the rest on grass. Think it was 4.50, 4.48,4.47,4.43,4.45,4.41..felt pretty strong as I was a bit worried about the effects of the 23 miles on Sunday, but felt OK, went through the 800 mark around 2.26. Not sure what the recovery was....not long enough image

Nice easy 12 today..

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Steady on Simon, that all looks a bit like marathon training!  Good stuff.

Yes, I'm sort of looking forward to this evening, although I'm reaching the end of my enthusiasm for track racing for the season I think.  In fact I've recently made the decision not to race the 10,000 at Tooting, on the basis that next week is my last opportunity to post a big mileage week with proper marathon sessions in it before winding down for Berlin; that still leaves four weeks but the following weekend is the Wissey HM, which I'm targeting to run hard to give me an indicator for my sub-2:30 prospects.  So a four week taper, effectively.  Don't think I'm running scared, Simon - we've still got the old men's relays!  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well it's all getting a bit track obsessed on here aint it.

Just as well I showed up to bring ting back to a more modest realistic level!

10.5miler, 7.03 pace, no alarms no surprises.

Well, except for headphones dying at 3/4miles, meaning a run back the other direction to pick up my mobile, and blast Wycombe with some 90s mixes off Youtube for 9miles or so.

I'll know when  I'm 100% back, as it won't take 3-4miles to breath less laboured, and I won't have to ditch the vest due to feeling hot, even when it's not a warm day, and is overcast.

However, the pace and distance being fairly comfy suggests full fitness cannot be too far off. Bizarre old time.

Ectocardigram Saturday. With a bit of luck that'll be a "continue", rather than a "stop, stop this instant son".
    If it's the latter i'll have to choose whether this thread becomes like Taggart, with the chief protagonist just dying off and it all continues regardless, or like some dodgy soap, where every few years I'll pop back in as if nothing ever changed.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to see you on the way back (hopefully) SG. I'm sure it won't come down to the situation you describe, though maybe it says something about me that I was thinking more of a Sugababes analogy rather than Taggart.

Great reps as always Simon. Nice representing in the U.S. by PMJ and in Wales by Iron. Good parkrunning CC82.

So, tonight was the BMC 5000 at Eltham. It's an hour and halfs drive away, so I'm only making that trip if I'm confident of a PB. Having felt super confident for the last few days, suddenly realise today that I'm insanely nervous, like almost shaking nervous. Why? Last chance for a fast 5k this year, but it's still a bit OTT.

Drawn in the A heat, which is right at the beginning of the meeting. It's being paced at about 14:40 pace, so I'm not getting involved in that. My plan is to go at 74s. That will get me to 3k in 9:15, which shouldn't be a huge issue, and then try to hang on for under 15:30. Feel like it's doable.

Bit of rain has fallen, so I make a late switch to spikes, which I've never worn over 3k before, but decide to risk it.

Set off dead on 74s for the first couple of laps. This means that a group of 4 or so pulls away with a 5th guy in no man's land and me a few metres behind. Ok, doesn't look like there's going to be a group for me to hang with. First sign that this might not be the night I hoped for comes on the third lap when I slip in a 75. Try to concentrate on the 4th lap to get back on pace, but that's a 75 too, and I'm starting to already feel like it's a struggle. 1600 in 4:58. 

Second mile is just hard. I'm on my own, and the pace is slipping, with 75s and 76s. This is not what I wanted, and I'm feeling shit. Can't get back on pace. I hit 3k in 9:23, which is way off what I wanted, and at this point I'm seriously entertaining thoughts of stepping off the track, cos I don't know where 5 more laps are coming from.

However, the splits show that at this point I stemmed the tide, no idea how. I don't feel any better, but I at least commit to finishing the race as fast as possible. A PB may still be on. 15:30 has gone, but I need my last mile to be 5ish to beat my 15:42 (road) PB. Someone comes past, but I'm oblivious, just worrying about my time. 2 laps to go, it's 13:07. I can do this. Grit my teeth and get ready to push hard on the last lap. I push hard, by my standards anyway. It must be a PB, and it is. Cross the line 6th in 15:36.85.

So, quite pleased to manage to pull a PB out of what looked at one point like it'd be a real disappointment. But a month or two ago, I really felt I had something quite a lot faster in me. Just can't translate that into the races, maybe I've just got really good at running my sessions.

Hung around a bit to watch Jess Judd. Can't be too many other sports where you get to run in the same events as internationals.

• Options

Great stuff mate, also very polite of yourself not to go under 15.27!! The weather didn't seem that great tonight either so it was a good effort I reckon, showed some real grit not to give up, I suppose if you are getting a sniff of the last few laps it gives you a kick up the arse!! 

Enjoy Eltham? It's a great open meeting I reckon, better than Watford for times, although I might have another sub 8.50 crack there next Wednesday, not decided yet 

• Options

SG hope everything goes ok with the procedure at the weekend, sure it will! 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yes, it was a good meet. Still think Watford is my preference, as the track is a bit more sheltered when there's a bit of wind like tonight. And there are more toilets. But I like the little park you can warm up in, and I especially enjoyed the Quaggy River, which sounds like something Frodo might have had to cross in the mist.

Yeah, do Watford. I shall be there next week. Main aim will be a 1500, though I may do the 3000 as well if I'm feeling sprightly afterwards.

• Options

yes I'll have a think about next week, intrigued to see if the extra mileage helps at all, as it seems to have a little with the 1500 time    

Phil- not sure about the 10,000 either tbh. Might just use it as another mileage weekend before the 3 racing Sunday's start in September...the southern, eastern vets and then the relay! Busy busy. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Excellent race Dachs, a 5k in spikes.... my calfs are aching at the thought!  Showed some grit to stay with it later on and get a very sharp time.  Congrats.   I was once told that you can tell if you have the right pace in a track race if you feel like you want to quit at  2/3rds to the end.  Sounds like you did.  

• Options

Like that quote Dean.

I remember Chris Chataway describing hanging onto Kutz? at White City in 58 I think it was and ultimately beating him. Constantly basically in disbelief that he is still running at the right pace and keeping up with him Kutz. Amazing what you are capable of.

Spoke to CC at the end of a Herne Hill/Thames H&H mob match. we had similar bags and he was looking in mine by mistake - he was obviously unnecessarily over apologetic. He was a class act .

• Options

Good going Dachs, and an impressive result in the end.

DeanR7 wrote (see)

Excellent race Dachs, a 5k in spikes.... my calfs are aching at the thought!  Showed some grit to stay with it later on and get a very sharp time.  Congrats.   I was once told that you can tell if you have the right pace in a track race if you feel like you want to quit at  2/3rds to the end.  Sounds like you did.  

I don't know about the calves, but after an XC season in spikes it was the balls of my feet that were really hurting.

Dean - I've heard similar about a 5k. If you want to throw up by mile 2 it's paced correctly.

In terms of Taggart vs Sugarbabes wasn't it Morse that then famously became Lewis? In terms of bands that kept the same name but had a complete line-up change we cannot miss out Atomic Kitten.

A nice easy 60misn low HR along the Taff yesterday, barely scraping 9km. Calves are still sore from the progression run which was the first speed session since before the hols. TTing tonight then the British Triathlon club relay champs at the weekend. I am in a 'fun' team image

• Options
    Nice PB Dachs! Impressive and well fought on! As with Dean, deserved with the perseverance shown over the summer

Hope all goes well SG and hopefully you'll be able to pick things up sooner rather than later
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, cracking race. The bit i like the most is you can seemingly race at will and if not a pb it won't be far off. My last spell like that was years back, needless to say, and a much lower level!

How much would a 1500 take out of your 3000 do you reckon? I bet for you, not even that much. It's funny how the scale goes, to office people, i'm super hardcore with my running, yet to you I'm a casual.

I think your fitness level and more importantly desire level are near on peaking out right now, this is your time. I remember a similar time when I was about 23/24 in football, where I was a pure machine, especially in indoor football. I'd have played at 6pm with the work guys, then at 10pm the same night start an indoor game, and would absolutely run people off the pitch and be gutted it finished at 11pm. The fitness increased from that point, but the desire started to decline rapidly.

Iron, Atomic Kitten did keep 2 founding members consistent, it shouldn't be forgotten.

In terms of founding members on here, not just 1 off posters, but proper consistent contributers, I guess there were obviously myself and Moraghan, Stevie See, ALD, sawney bean, beany bean, Harry/Ultra Gregory, Mee Meep.

Some real missed characters in there, but SS/Mee Meep are still around here and there, albeit it currently either doing their own thing or taking a more watching brief.

Seen a lot of characters come and go too. I wonder if they still lurk every so often. I also wonder about the peeps who don't seem to have raced in years, what happened? Did they get a bad injury? Did they lose the passion? Did they embrace the heady ride to pb paradise, but not have the heart to rehab/come back/stay in the game when they'd topped out

One of my oldest pals, who did about 20+ races with me in 2009 and posted within the first few pages of this thread in 2010, has a love hate relationship with running. Very peaks and troughs.

A few weeks ago, I was a bit gutted when he gave me his garmin, deleted his running records spreadsheets and dumped all his old running numbers/paperwork etc. Happy to say he's back involved with a local club to him, and i think it suits him that he's a new runner there in his own right, rather than  being Stevie G's mate. Hopefully he keeps this "peak" and it becomes the norm.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dachs - cracking run last night.  You seemed a bit disappointed about that 6/7 seconds but a great time anyway and by the sounds of it your training will translate to a quicker time sooner or later.

So, smack-down honours to Dachs last night. Reading his race report, my thought process went through a similar pattern during the race, just a second or two slower per lap! 15:58.57 for me, so another sub-16 which is reasonably satisfying, but the legs just felt too heavy with mileage to really have a crack at my PB. FWIW I was also in spikes, but my XC spikes which I'm really happy with now on the track.  Once I've put the marathon to bed this year, I'll get some proper speed work in and concentrate on the shorter stuff next year, hopefully give Dachs and Simon some more honest competition!  image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work too Phil, and nice to see you last night.  Worth bearing in mind that you ran that with a 10k win from the weekend in your legs as well as all the marathon mileage, so given that it bodes very well that you can still crank out a sub 16.  Would be good to see you having a real crack at shorter races, which are very difficult to balance with marathon training. Hope you got your washing done.  I celebrated with a filthy McDonalds at Cobham services.

SG, cheers.  I ran 15:54 for a 5000 in June about 45 minutes after a hard 1500, so I think I may be able to manage a 3000, even if it's not likely to be a PB, but I'll see how I feel after the 1500. I suppose the benefit of the track stuff is that you can just crank out race after race because it's so easy to recover from.  I suppose there comes a point at the end of the summer where it eventually drains you, both mentally and physically, but I'm enjoying it at the moment, and am likely to run out of races before that happens.  I suppose what helps with the motivation to keep cracking out the races is firstly that I'm a pretty consistent runner, so even when I have a bad day, it's not really that bad at all (which often leads to ribbing on here when I complain about bad races).  Also I seem to be pretty lucky with injuries, with nothing that has forced me out of running (other than illness) for the last 2 years now.

Hopefully the motivation can continue when the PB streak dries up.  A couple of years now until I turn V40 and can start obsessing about WAVA and age rankings, so that can be the next thing.