Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    CC82 wrote (see)

Pete - I was thinking something fairly similar there - to have a 5k PB at 5:45 pace but a 10 miler of 58:44 is an absolutely awesome conversion.  I've never raced a 10 miler but I think I could go under an hour these days but it wouldn't be easy.  My 5k PB pace is 5:37, 10k PB pace is 5:50, so pushing up to 10 miles, I reckon I'd be pretty delighted with 5:55 pace, which is 59:10!  In fact, McMillan converts my recent 3k, 5k and 10k times up to just over an hour for 10 miles.

You have to compare recent stuff though. If Bus had done the same fast 5k course, somewhere in around the 58.44 10miler shape, he'd "probably" have bettered his 5k pb
    Probably similar with me and peak days, versus lack of fast 5k courses in good fields, plus never maximising at that distance.
    However, every cloud....it probably means i could still have a go at bettering the 5k pb!

• Options

That one's very soft now then Reg!

SG - yes, only 3 secs slower, but two miles less! I would have been wrecked if I'd added that on image.  The next step is to build it up whilst keeping to abut the same pace, without wrecking myself, but happy enough with that for now. It's still a long way from a few years back when I would do the full 5 at that pace with no warm up! Not just stupid, but physically impossible these days!

Incidentally, my 5M and 10k unofficial PBs were also in that 10 miler (GSR 2012) - I went through 5k in 17:56 and 10k in 36:03. As these are listed in the results as chip I'm tempted to claim the 10k one - it's 12 secs faster than my "official" one image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    Missed it last night, but bus that is a super hard effort you've made there! Would you even be doing a 5k race any faster?!

I think it was RIc that mentioned it once, but its not just the adrenaline, and it matters feel of a race that can lift pace, but also the security of knowing you won't get smashed by traffic!

I confess that I was scratching my head as to how to broach this particular observation, without being sarcastic or judgmental.

But thankfully SG, has stepped up to the mark.

I suspect it's one of the efforts we all have a go at now and again. We think we can go faster, but really know the pace is no more than 1 second per mile within blowing up.

Just easier to keep going, and to hell with the consequences.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

For Dachs, 5mins would be pretty darn close to his mile rep pace anyway. That's a scary thought image

I was doing mile reps in sub 5 in 5K training... image

Difficult to find time for posting stuff at the moment, but have checked back on recent runs.

Quality XC there CC.  People in strange garb are an annoyance, but had you been beaten by orange shorts man, you’d be in good company, as plenty have been beaten by Philpub in his lurid shorts.  Nice reps too.

PMJ, solid XC, but rules are to get out hard so everyone else has to overtake you.  Then you can be the blocker.

Ace casual 10 there Matt, and a 20 as well?  Almost sounds like marathon training.

More 200s from SG.  Might I suggest some 400s though?  I have been doing some recently, and it felt like that speed endurance was what pushed me over the line to go under 9 for 3000.  Oh, yeah, nice session by the way …image

Shame that you’re going through a mini-slump there Simon.  Maybe step away from racing for a few weeks?

Quality tempo Bus man!  Ignore the naysayers, I reckon race pace for half the race distance is a good tempo rule of thumb.  So 10K pace for a 5K tempo, half mara pace for a 10K tempo, and marathon pace for a long tempo.

Cranked out a 10 mile tempo at lunchtime today.  Aiming for broadly marathon pace, so somewhere around 58-59, in line with previous such runs.  Well, surprised myself somewhat by sneaking in a fraction under 56 minutes.  Average 5:36 pace.  Bonza!  Manageable throughout, and second half quicker than the first. Shame I don’t have a half marathon until February.  2 miles warm up and 1 mile warm down meant 13 in just under 1:18.

• Options

Blimey Dachs - that's impressive! Not tempted to do Andy reading 10k on Sunday to capitalise?

As for my seemingly controversial tempo pace over a paltry 3 miles - not sure what the fuss is! I've always used target half pace as a tempo, and although this one was at the fastest end of that, provided I'm not leaving anything on the road , what's the issue? I've been more knackered after hard track sessions, and less able to run the following day.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Take it easy old son, it's admiration from the more soft core of us image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In my case, my tempo speed currently sits at around 7 minute mile pace. It isn't the speed which is the prime factor, it's the effect it has on my system regarding the threshold between operating totally aerobically and being just over the edge.

Go much faster than that and the issues regarding recovery negate any gains I'm hoping to be made.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i also fully admire anyone who trains hard in the morning, and then has to deal with a lot of people at work. I can find my mood drops off the edge of a cliff at times, like today image

ps Dachs, haven't done 200s for at least 3 weeks image but they're fun aint they. Well, not so much off 30secs in fairness. But it's good to be able to cut a 16 x session by 8 mins by not taking a min a piece!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just back from a china so missed out on loads. sounds like everyone is riunning well

Dachs - if you want to do a fast 10k and use that fitness you have at the moment for a PB, you can have my telford 10k number for this sunday as i am pulling out due to even 6mm pace seems brisk at the momentimage

CC- i have a treadmill and it goes to 22kmph so i get just about any session on it.  but at the moment i use it for morning easy runs so i dont have to go out in the 6am cold and get sick!  i hacve a large screen tv set up and i watch box sets.  im a few episodes into series 1 of orange is the new black.  a very unusual choice to run to.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean & Bus.  I'd have loved to do a fast 10K this weekend, but December is manic with family stuff.  Telford was my initial thought, but once I realised the date I knew I wouldn't be able to make it.  Can't race until January now.  Hope you can get back in the groove soon Dean.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Quality tempo Dachs. Shame you can't get a race in. Threw the 20 in as I'll try and get some decent runs in over December as I'm doing Manchester marathon all being well.

Likewise Bus. I found when I had my lactate threshold test a couple of years ago, I found it pretty much impossible to get in the red zone in training (over 185 bpm i think) so my tempos are what they are, if I'm knackered they're slow, if I'm feeling good they're quick. I've raced slower than some tempos.

Looks good to me.

You back running Pete?

Dean, looks a strong field at Telford! Building for next year i take it now?

I'm tempted to maybe have a go at Ribble Valley 10k as its local but its on the 27th Dec and although it gets a decent field it's pretty undulating and smack bang in the middle of the festivities.

Don't mention CRs to me Reg. chased a couple today in what was supposed to be an easy day but the fecking trees are that big my GPS is all over the shop. Serves me right. The only time it's got my run right is when I was doing the 4 miler after Monday mornings 10.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    On my way back I hope Matt thanks. Done a few easy runs of up to 30 mins but attempts to run fast (Tried a couple of parkruns at tempo) just are setting the problem off again.
  • Options

Take it easy Pete, and it'll come. It's a good job patience comes with age cos' we need it more image

Cheers Matt - that's what I was trying to say. Sorry if I sounded snappy chaps! You don't need to chase Strava CRs though - you've got genuine proper wins under your belt, with your name engraved on proper trophies and all!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Pete. By my calculations you've tried a couple of parkruns since your post of 23/11 saying you needed to do a parkrun to keep up your record.

Does that mean you went and did another parkrun on 3/12, despite setting off the injury on 26/11, which on it's own was not a good idea?

As I said.

It's the re-occurring chronic injury which ends most runners careers. That's why the condition must be avoided. The wish to race, which hastens the process, is another factor.

The medicine must be taken, or it finishes.

However, for some it's almost inevitable.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tricky one Pete.

On the one hand you need to "test" it to some level, or you'd never return, but on the other hand you can get into the scenario Ric describes.

The "tempo" in a race, albeit a parkrun would slightly put me off. We all know the race day magic/extra adrenaline can turn the usual injury hints off, at least temporarily. Not to mention needing to be disciplined to actually limit yourself

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Traditionally, the thing to do with addicts is stage an intervention.

Pete is a parkrun addict.  Therefore, I think we all ought to wait outside his house in a van, and when he emerges at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning, we jump out, put a hood over his head, bundle him into the back, and then drive him off to some harsh rehabilitation centre run by terrifying nuns.  There, he will learn to spell Park Run in two separate words with capitals, and will also learn that, when 200 people set off together and try to run as fast as possible, that's a race, not a run.  It's the kind thing to do.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Ric; You are right; if only it were that easy as none of us here have your discipline, least of all me!

SG; Your are right and practical too; will try and up my distance and ensure I can do some longer reps pain free, maybe k's at 5k pace, before next pr attempt

Dachs; You are less right (only about 20 of the 200 go as fast as possible and I usually leave about 8.30 am!) but very entertaining, certainly made me laugh! I did manage almost a month of cold turkey but it all got too much for me; I'll have to emerge in disguise next Park Run day image 

• Options

I say just carry on Pete otherwise you'll never get your 1000 Parkrun t-shirt.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If anyone manages 1,000 parkruns, they deserve more than a t-shirt.  A handjob at the very least I'd say.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Darren WOOD - 285 runs at Frimley Lodge, 257 at Bushy, 588 parkruns Total

He's not even 35 years old yet and has done over 250 runs at each of 2 different courses! He will probably get his 1000 in his early 40's and look forward to Dach's offering! 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I love some stats, love racking up medals, races, pbs, good reps etc. I even had a little bit of fun doing a stack of parkruns over the weeks i wasn't confident of doing "proper" races.

But i just don't get strolling round a parkrun each week, and the same one or two.

Maybe i don't put as much emphasis on "community", and maybe i'm missing a clever way to bag a hottie, but i didn't used to like losing on reps to people at running club sessions, so I really wouldn't like boobing around behind people I should be smashing.

Fair play to doing 500 though. However seemingly pointless it seems to some of us, that's around 10 years worth of doing it every Saturday!!

• Options

I suppose if you see them as training sessions it's not that different to going to the track twice a week to run with a group rather than on your own.

• Options

I'm with SG, I like to keep any recorded performance within the realms of what is good for me, whether it be all out or a hardish tempo.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

this guy is a genuine parkrun addict; he even did several on crutches a couple of years back straight after a pretty serious leg operationimage 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reg gets it spot on.

Pete, that really is a strange level of obsession. Especially as it seems he has volunteered at 200+ as well!

• Options

Yeah...but who else had done Bushy when it ws the only PR in the country? (and like a berk got up at 5.30am to get down there to do it!). Talking of which, I still fancy the Aylesbury/Tring double New Years day - as both have confirmed they are on.

Tuesday night was 5 x 2k, with the double hill again. Well as Kimpton was so far ahead I had to swap to 2k, 1800 x 4 and an 800 at the end. 6.42 for the 2k and then just measured the miles for the 1800's around 5.16's before the last 200m with 2.30 for the 800 at the end. Basically cross country reps and bloody tough.

Ric - Had a chat with Jim after the race, sure he'll go well at Oxford on Saturday.

Dachs - Shouldn't race as much that's true. somewhere between my situation and yours races wise would be ideal, must be annoying being fit and not getting a race in.

So being sensible and just doing the easy short commute run before tackling that bloody hill on Saturday at Oxford. the only course with a song named after it that I can think of . Point each for Song, artist and the album it was off. (90's) image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

He's one of the clique at Frimley that run it all; usually sets up the course directions as part of his WU with a couple of the other quick guys, then they take it down as part of their CD afterwards. Gets him a volunteer tick and a run each week. 

• Options
    *delurk*
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Point each for Song, artist and the album it was off. (90's) image

Kate Bush - Running up that hill - Hounds of Love

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i will be doing a parkrun this week at tempo pace.  if i win, lovely  if i finish 10th no worries.  As long as i know what effort i put in im not bothered what others might read into it. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, i remember seeing it listed in the RW mag each Saturday!

Those early ones must have felt weird, with about 10 or so runners.

Simon, i fancy a double up (ooh matron) too. I wonder if Aylesbury/MK is a doable combo too.
    9am, sub 18min race, 30-40min drive (max?) over 18 min MK job?

Will have a look at any other combos too. Maybe one where you start out at the further one and come back towards home first! And 2 new venues of course.