Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Christ it’s been a while.

I find myself thinking of you all regularly, and I know I’ve only got some of you on social media so you may not be aware of why I’ve dropped off the face of planet running. 

I won’t lie and say I’m going to read back, it’s all a bit too painful for me right now, but it brought a smile to my face scanning through a couple of pages and seeing the same old familiar names posting.

I’m going through the mill at the moment and won’t bore you with the specifics. If anyone wants to see more, it’s all over on my blog (https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/01/my-spirit-has-finally-been-completely-broken/)

I wish more than anything that one day I’ll be back on two feet, but that doesn’t seem to be a given at the moment. 

If you want some mundane running splits, I’m at least buoyed by (my now wife) Katie going from strength to strength running 2:55 in Seville and 18:03(!) for 5km. She’ll be in amongst it at London for those of you there, most likely targeting somewhere around 2:50.

I’ll keep hoping and praying that our paths will cross in the future. Take care all.

Hi Joe, I've read the last few blog entries. I didn't see blood pressure mentioned. Low pressure can cause some of those symptoms. 

🙂

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Strong tempo 1st time back SG

I guess that Eilish is seeing a blood sugar spike from fuel but it then plummets and causes honking issues, but to be fair she probably needs a break as PMJ says, but i was also watching her racing on a track 10wks out from London, then 8 wks, then 6......there's no way you can then do a couple of long road runs and a few tempos and be marathon competitive in a few weeks otherwise the elite marathoners wouldnt be putting 100 mpw in for 12 weeks.........I used to run long fuelled by fresh air, but not anymore, i take a gel or 2 and a drink on the longer runs, i see it as recovery before youve finished. I still do my weekday morning runs on fresh air, but have to make sure ive eaten enough and of the right sort of things for evening commutes, otherwise I can get blood sugar issues.

5m easy today, legs were real tired, could be a tough long run tomorrow. 4 weeks to go.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Simon, I was watching a Ben Felton youtube clip, and he was disappointed to do a 9.01 3k recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZx8yK1crU0

A couple of mins into this I noticed a slightly older boy in red and black (and shades!) and realised it was your bad self!

Looking at the results, they run the A and B races together then?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps TR, I very occasionally get a touch of the low blood sugars, so I can well imagine it can kick in as the distances get higher. Must be pretty easy to deplete yourself and not refuel enough.

Have probably only run without eating in the morning a couple of times over the years. Not a fan of this "fasted" business.
  • Options
    Well done for all you have written, Joe. I genuinely think you are incredibly strong for both surviving the ongoing doubt and pain, but also articulating it so superbly. You honestly could use your penmanship professionally. Thank you for listing the treatments, investigations etc. I don’t know what more to say than hang in there. 

I have really enjoyed seeing Eilish’s 5000 and 10000 success this summer. But surely that is truly targeted and a marathon four weeks away wouldn’t have been an honest A race? Maybe not thought and the Hugh mileage of an elite wins out. 

Agreed PMJ re UK paths, you go to France or NZ etc and things are so simply signposted it is a wonder. 

Straight in with a 6M tempo is strong, SG. Good going. I fear that kind of continuous effort in training. 

Come on chaps, not buying this low blood sugar business. Just wait until you accidentally take 10u rather than 1u of insulin 😆 

Alderton 5k is a local race, only 13 minutes north of me, but not one I have done before. The full spectrum of paces and a great atmosphere. Simple out an back affair with the finish in a playground field. Ideal for family spectators. Marginally downhill first half with a slight tailwind, so inevitably a slower return, especially as things spaced out a bit.

Lightening start with a few very unlikely characters haring off, but who am I to judge. 5:35 opening mile is ludicrous (51 ft net descent), and equals my track mile in July, but net downhill as said. Into a nice little group, and enjoying the cheers from the side. Turnaround at approx 2.5k, and shocked to see a) a buggy runner a couple of seconds back, b) my undertrained good friend just behind that. Better get a shift on! 5:45 second mile.

Buggy runner soon overtook me and, to be fair, provided a great wind break and spot of motivation. Pulled away a little, but provided close enough motivation to push hard. 6:07 for the third mile (49 ft net ascent) and into the field. Pulling out the Tom Cruise hands by now, can I catch buggy runner? He only bloody stops with 20m to go and calmly unstraps his daughter to run home. Fortunately I take them 😆. 

18:11 official time. Delighted with a season best, especially off a huge 24M hilly Monday and tough 13M session day Wednesday. 

Race started at 11:06, in the car by 11:28 to drive my daughter to gymnastics. I assume that is what Jake Weightman does, anyway. 8M extended cool down/general mileage along the canal about 45 minutes later. 

Now to hang on for the next seven weeks back at work. Mileage will definitely drop, but hope to keep the sessions in there. London would probably have been better timed than Abingdon, but never mind, just wasn’t ready to commit to it. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a mad race SQ, that fast a race, and the sting coming later! Nice to get the best time of the year in before autumn is properly amongst us and we all put 5ks aside for the year.
    What's buggy guy doing? So serious to be haring behind you at that pace, then messing about at the end?

And of course our minor experiences with the old very occasional bloody sugar lows are mere small fry to what you deal with and have to plan so professionally :)
    If you do mistime it, is it simply a hot chocolate / dextrose tablets type thing the likes of us amateurs do? Or is it always jabs?

Found a small bit of dosh burning a hole in my pocket so entered a little stash of races. 
    Last race was 3 weeks ago now, it's amazing how quickly time rockets away at times.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good pace today SQ, you're in good shape. You've set yourself nicely up for Abo, if you can keep the longish runs (inc pace) that you plan and an mlr/session as well as whatever filler you can then you'll be in good shape for Abo.

Nice one SG, gives you a few more fixtures on the list.

Legs were pretty ropey as expected, when i went out today. Started pissing down just as i got back from doggy walk, so i waited for it to stop and didnt run til 10am, and was wet through within a few miles anyway due to it being so humid. Pushed on a little in the 2nd half and ended up with 22m in 2:58. Which was a much needed time on feet. 79m for the week, 4 wks til the b of the bang.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

That’s a huge week, TR. You are peaking mileage at the right time. 

Buggy was a little unexpected SG, but I guess he is just a very fast runner who wanted to finish with his daughter. I’ve never fancied running fast with the buggy, just can’t see the risk/reward in it. 

I jest re the low blood sugar levels, but thank you for asking anyway. In essence, if I have only a tiny bit of excess insulin in my system it is just a matter of dextrose tablets (hot chocolate too slow acting). If I’ve cocked things up to a greater extent, it is full on mental confusion, black stars, sweating like a pig etc. Still dextrose, but longer lasting and might have to eat an additional snack. Fortunately this is relatively rare - a good thing as the blood sugar rollercoasters that follow are taxing. 

Thinking about it, I am not sure why dextrose tablets aren’t a little more popular towards the end of a marathon - they are the very fastest way of getting sugar into your system, and I can’t see a gel having much of an impact with a mile to go. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to read that. I've tried eating pasta, banana and orange juice on the occasional blurry low sugar levels thing, but found hot chocolate a lot more effective. Hadn't clocked that it's slower than dextrose tablets. Although I had a few of those last time and it sorted it .

I once tried "lucozade" tablets...I assume they were actually dextrose type ones but I always remember it as Lucozade tablets for some reason. Combined with loads of water pre an August half marathon in 2002 for my 2nd ever race. 
    I ended up pants down in the bushes about 9miles in and my only memory can be described well as "stinging ring piece".

So erm, I'm loathe to try tablets pre race again :D
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13.5miles today.
    Out to Marlow, gentle down / flat.
    Monster hill, then gradual slight wood incline, but 300 feet over 1 mile.

More woodyness and fields, through a subway then a small climb again, before a flat then made the same downhill through some more woods.
    Mid 7s. Decent run.

• Options
    Great to see the marathon training has made you swifter SQ. You’ve been building nicely all summer whereas I’ve spent August going backwards but having a lot of fun 😂
    You’ve been working hard too TR: plenty of miles & reps. Can’t fault that 22M.
    Usual mix of parkrun & hilly lanes/trails for me. Got out for my longest run since my SWCP epics at the end of July: 17 hilly trail miles in 2:30. Socks & shorts were wringing wet by the end even at my sedate pace.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Interesting re the dextrose SQ, I'd have to wrap them well as i get a good sweat up.....I'm creaking a bit, but 2 more big weeks. Will target 3 key runs, mlr, session and long run.

Good to make the long runs lumpy SG, good for strength.

Good to see you jools, youve had enough great summer of adventures. I often think of you when I'm running the same commute lanes day after day (even though some of them are nice country lanes).

5m easy recovery run today.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stick with it TR, no wonder they say half the battle is getting to the start line!

I like to think of Jools as doing in his normal week to week life, what I do as an adventure/trip  :D
  • Options
    I remember as a kid being dragged around all the girl shops with my mum and sister. My only chance to get anything for myself when they were buying eyelashes and make-up in Boots the chemist, these were the days when shops didn't sell confectionery unless they were a newsagent or sweet shop. They did however sell whistle lollies at the counter and dextrose tablets. The latter was my favourite and no doubt helped fuel my post shopping nightmare, hyperactive period!

Nice to hear you coming into form SQ.

I manged 37 miles last week which was good, every single mile hurt in someway mind you! I am definitely less fit and a little heavier but I am hoping I am arresting the slide from here.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    After the 6m at 6.12 last Friday, I monstered straight into a 3x10min today. Aim of sub 6.

5.55, 5.59, 5.55 saw that off.

It's funny how that sort of 15secs faster zone can feel a higher step up than that.

But anyway, all banked.  A work conference Thur/Fri causes some awks training wise, so I'll probably try and scrape an easy run in one of the days, and do a rare Sat run to make up for it.
  • Options
    PMJ - agree re: Eilish McColgan. It's reassuring to see somebody with a sensible team/approach who looked at it with a longer-term view. Agree with TR' view on the training differences too. Training needs to adjust how the body fuels itself.

SQ - again, more great training. Nicely done with the 5km SB too.

SG - nice MLR and nice 3 x 10mins. What races have you gone for?

Ended up with a good week last week after a slow start. 78m with a decent mix of efforts. Longest run was only 15m though. Started this week with a 5m jog/Aussie Quarters double yesterday. 17:12.8 for the AQ on grass, with some left in the tank (last 400 was 73) so I'll take that for now.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TT, all in the 5m-10m range for the next 3months really, also with xc kicking in again.
    That was the key call to get back to the tempos and tempo rep type stuff.

Outside chance of a late year HM, but we'll have to see how it all stacks up, as I certainly don't like going into those without a proper buildup, which for me means at least 5x15milers.

78m is strong volume. That's more what you're about :)
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    SG - sounds like plenty to keep your interest keen then. I'm hoping to do some of the xc this year, but it's really dependent on other things. Which HM are you considering - Gosport? 
    For me I just need to get in the rhythm of sticking those weeks together now and I'll be sorted.

On that note, weekly long run done. Easy 18m (7:26). Only effort were 3 uphills of ~ (1200m, 400m, 700m) spread across the middle third. Feeling stronger this week, which was handy as I've got a bit of a mental block on getting out the door for long runs at the moment (I'm out of practice).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I remember the whistle pops Reg

Good change of emphasis SG, i like the tempo and 10 min reps. You could do a 1/2 off that, 5 x 15 isn't really necessary given your usual mileage, but i guess the odd 15 is good for confidence. I bet Ellish hasnt done 5 x 15m recently.

Very tired and achey 10m last night, which made me wonder about this mornings session, but got going a bit as it went on and 12m inc the standard 14x3mins. Legs were very achey in the wd,  i can tell its nearly marathon time. Will defo get a good freeing up by the fizz lined up.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I dare say I could do a HM at any point of the year you're right TR :)
    But a "performance" one, I think for me needs that body of work.

The easiest motivating factor is clicking the button on a race entry! That seems to work well!
    I can imagine how you must feel clattered mentally and physically this close to a race. I bet it goes well on the day though. 

TT - Yes Gosport is the late year option. I dare say I look every year and veto it. I've been down there twice, this little pen pic is from that race - a particularly bleak part in the wind, solo, late on :D 
    But you can see how old it is, in face, and club vest (!) The course is totally different as well now.

I love the south coast races in general, and like to do a few little trips down there each year. So far it's been Chichester, Eastleigh, and Gosport itself.
    You can easily take this for granted, and it wasn't that many years ago I wasn't sure if I could be back racing again, let alone the perfect scenario of it being worth these decent length trips for races.
    Add in the pandemic taking it all away from us for so long, and I'm definitely in the vet footballer "appreciating it more" zone, even if I hope I'm not close to the end of my career like them. But you never know, that's the point.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I plotted some potential races, then realised it could be 5 weekends in a row. Whoops.

I suppose if a couple were "B" races, you could treat them as being instead of a tempo in the plan and re-jig the week. But you'd need to make sure the long runs weren't neglected and probably have to fit an awkward one in midweek.

A few years ago I got into a decent flow of Thursday morn 15milers just pushing my work hours back 1hour, then a Sunday XC. 
    So without a commute, getting out at 7am it's doable without much messing.

Alternative I suppose is just to a 2 for 1 around the race. 3m warmup, say 10k race, 5-6 or so miles cool down.
    Whether it's as beneficial split into 3 I don't know though, and do you lose that post race joy of the chats after etc?
  • Options
    SG - Cheers for the heads up on the youtube clip! God i look painful on camera LOL. Where he was warming up was where the Bedford kids were training last week.

Good race SQ - Monster miles TR. 

Decent weekend, great seeing Notts mates Saturday at Forest and winning 3-2. Eastern masters final on Sunday was a long day after starting with a slight hangover might have been handy, good excuse to pop a couple of Anadin extra down me for the morning....

1500 first, decent enough 4.24 although the first track race is always the worst. 800 was 45 mins later, went off the curve with the V60+ gang too. Went in the lead at the start, 65 first lap which was ok, had the Bedford V50 record in mind (2.13.2), which I got with a 2.11.7. Not as good as earlier in the year, but getting better.

Later I had to do a 400m (2nd last as expected as I had to run 'down' in the V40's) and finally a 400m in the relay. Good day, but pipped yet again by MK for the title. Both 1500 and 800 were Bedford and league final records though which was some recompense.

9 miles Monday, did a minute pyramid yesterday 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 with 1 min and 2 min recoveries.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - I've got a Gosport place, good race on a still day, esp with recent route, long way o travel for a windy race though.......I've done plenty of B races and made em into long runs, 3m, 13.1m, 2m at recent IoW 1/2, I've even made Chichester 10k into a 20m, by doing around 9m as a wd (some with SQ) and a 5m wu.

Simon - good range of distances there, congrats on the record.

Slow and easy 6m today for me.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    It's funny how conditions change and you forget the ones you were moaning about.
    From heat to humidity, today was into fairly decent rain at one point on my single 8.

Then the dreaded wind, as you mention there TR.
    A 2 lapper with what must be 3 or so miles each direction could be torture for 6miles. Imagine that Chichester 10k wind for 6miles like that :D 

Will do my best to nick a run or 2 the next couple of days over this Midlands work conference. Will at least guarantee one by doing it before I set off, early tomorrow.

• Options
    Good mileage that TT.

Tearing up the old man record books SC, well played.

Easy 9.5 for me today. A runner turned onto the same road as me about 100 metres ahead and seemed to be going at a fair lick so I suspected it was Kevern. Having lost a few CRs to him recently, I was aware he was running on my patch! By the time I turned onto what is a good long stretch of road he'd already disappeared out of sight. That was despite me doing 3:55 for that particular km.  :#

• Options
    Cheers TR & Reg. Need to pot hunt properly. Looked at the odd half marathons, v50's winning in 1.24 etc. No doubt the one I look at will be stacked.

Hopefully Bedford Parkrun will be on tomorrow. Sadly that V50 best has been 'Leached'. As in Andy Leach (Matt Leach's - 7th in big half in 64 mins' dad) has set 16.36! Damn ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry SC, missed the significance there in a skim read away with work. Well done indeed. Proper competitive stuff.

But surely a 64min half guy should be nearer 1436 than 1636 unless its a beast of a parkrun?!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - id not bother to travel to gosport on a windy day and I'm 20mins away, so its a big risk for you to enter.

Simon - youd defo win some prizes if you tergetted it, i win the odd one and you're a few gear changes quicker than me, I'm 1.22ish.

Reg - got to pick your training races carefully.

Couple of easy days after Tuesday's session, decided that Legs were ok this morning so took the 9 or 10m left turn instead of the 5 or 6m straight on, regretted it later and finished on very tired legs. Long run tomorrow is going to be a grind.
  • Options
    Getting that long run done on tired legs will sort you right out, TR. 

Looks possibly a nice trail route from your conference location, SG? I know what you mean about races and long runs/weekly mileage and schedules. Just got to be flexible I guess. Tagging some miles on post race can work well if you avoid injuries. As TR says, we shared a good chatty 7M or so round Goodwood. I quite enjoy doing some of the route in reverse straight after a race and cheering on club mates. 

Heck of a day at the track, SC. When did you last race a half?

Big week and cracking 5k in training, TT. 

Sounds like I should keep spare dextrose for Reg not SG 😆 

Back into the thick of things at work, so opportunistic running returns. Haven’t quite squeezed in the weekly BAC session, but had a couple of good ‘uns nonetheless. 

Recovery doubles Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Usual trail, 9m/m affairs. 

Only an hour to play with on Tuesday, so headed to a 0.75M flat road loop and ran eight laps progressively. 6:53 pace for the first down to 6:29 for the last few. Solid enough 6M tempo. 

Long with stuff yesterday, heading round the river to get back to the 2M flat as a pancake racecourse loops. 

3ish mile warm up (7:50 pace)

4M MP (6:47)

2M steady (7:24)

4M MP (6:43) felt good! 

2M steady (7:19)

2M MP (6:57) legs had absolutely had it. 

2.7M WD (7:33)

All in 19.6M at 7:06 average. Not quite the MP I’m looking for (6:40s ideally) but a good first higher quality long run. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    If I had the time over SQ, I'd have asked reception, and no doubt they'd have told me about the "nature walk" route, that we used on the gentle morning activity (i.e. something to stop boozed up types driving straight off after a skin full).

Instead, I did a mix of skulking round the extremities of the golf course , turning swiftly back if I saw anyone playing, or any maintenance types :D 

In fairness, the actual nature walk wasn't as clear to follow as it could have been and we ended up way off from where we should have been. But frustratingly it would have been a much better run regardless :) 
    Oh well, got 2 runs in there, which is beyond the call of duty I think on a work away trip.

How you motivate to get out for 20milers, let alone with faster miles in there I do not know. Looks a good effort.
    Tracking a few pals and clubmates aiming for a marathon, most of them seem to get fairly clattered, I think it's a gift alone to be robust to train for them, AND come out the other side without a down period.