Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Can't knock a 10 miler Ric.

Although right now I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's 10mile race.
    Dodgy sleep and woke up a little throaty and generally knacked.

Hopefully a rest day of drinking and eating and a nice sleep gets it back on track. We don't need heroics tomorrow.
    Could well be a payback for the casual 20, and running the next 3 days doubles, with a 5k time trial in there!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I seem to have picked up a bit of a cold, if it does turn into a full blown effort then I may just kill myself and give up.

I'm planning on a slow start tomorrow, assuming I feel alright and hopefully enjoy doing some overtaking the last few miles.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like we're both managing expectations and giving ourself license for a range off not turning up through to a cruise around :)

Fingers crossed it all magics right.

(have knocked back about 6 bottles of water already...and 2 mochas)
  • Options

It will all be OK I the end. Or perhaps God is angry for you both racing on a holy day ;)  I had an absolute raging sore throat the day before Berlin, to nearly thinking I wouldn't be able to run it. Two Anadin extra and a coffee later, felt ontop of the world. Must be big race nerves..or hotel air conditioning.

Track tonight. Thankfully I've forgotten how bad I felt at the end of the last one, otherwise I wouldn't go.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Hello all

I have missed responding for a couple of weeks and work went absolutely mental, so I was taking stuff home and doing it til late.  But it'd done now.

This means I never congratulated Dean on his absolutely immense double gold. What a phenomenal achievement!  Got to be time to retire now, go out on a high ;).  Massive reward for all the effort you've put in and the well crafted training plan.

Some excellent reports and good passive-aggressive relationship with the Spaniards.  That big one looks a bit like Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, so I expected the report to end with him firing a bolt through your skull,

I watched the videos as they came through on FB, and you certainly looked very in control in all of them, although you could see your twitchiness in the 1500.  Didn't realise how much heel clipping goes on, that's the worst aspect of track racing, and if that's more prevalent in indoors it might be a good reason to never do it.

Oh, and SG eventually finding his way to Strava was always going to happen eventually.  Just like him running a marathon.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    cheers dachs...yep the 1500 was the only race i was struggling with energy.  I was knackered holding him off plus the small factor of it was the 4th race in 3 days.    Has it whet your appetite for Malaga?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Gave it every chance today with a lot of refuelling and rest, but I'll pull out of tomorrow.

I'm not that bad, but have definitely entered the run down zone. Hands and head alternating between hot and cold, tickly throat and a bit of a cough. Bit of a muscular ache.

The combo of the 20miler, 5km time trial with no rest days over that period probably slightly depleted me.

A shame, but 10miles is no distance to be trying to blag. Especially when I remember what happened the last time I was under the weather in a long race. The difference is this time I recognise it before hand!!

Could run it for social, or as whatever, but it's also going to be wet and windy, so that doesn't seem sensible in any shape or form. The club do have another 10mile club race in 9 days, so maybe that might be on still.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yeah, think so. I'l be bumbling along in the 5000 though, will leave the middle distance stuff to you fast lads.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Probably the best course of action SG. There's always other races.
    Coughs and colds always seem to hit us at our fittest.

I was once lined up for what I knew would be the fastest HM I'd ever run, only to get a sore throat plus, the day before. 

Oh, and another 10 miles today - faster.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tidy Ric - are you getting back to the 10mile every day spell of a few summers back?

Looking over the years, I guess it's a tiny handful of races to have missed once signed up.

Wokingham half - ill, Gosport half - put back out a day before,
    Marlow 5k/Half - ill, bruised ribs

Datchet XC and Some Oxfordshire 5miler I forget the name of (Phil did it once), that I drove to but couldn't find the venue :):)

Not many over 15 years of racing.

On the other hand, I remember racing for Marlow with a chest infection once, and a fever another time. Both ill advised, but I was a slave to their mad championship where one missed race would ruck your whole year up.

I also ran the Gosport half after a light cold which took the edge off!

Clearly that Wycombe half was the all time worst choice, although that only came clear during and after!

We move on! Catch you in a few days!

My strava stats are going to look crap for my first week or 2! Oh well!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Shame SG.

If I didn't race ill, I wouldn't race. My last five races of 1/2 marathon or Marathon I have been ill or recovering from being ill. That's 3 marathons and 2 half marathons. Tonight I just have a tickle in the throat and a slight running of the nose. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I'll most likely give it a go.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well I"m another with a wasted Maidenhead entry and zero chance of me running. Not done a single mile all week and no prospect anytime soon. Calf/Achilles feels even worse than ever with no improvement so far from rest. Starting to wonder when it will ever mend. This race is my bete noir; entered 11 times and only ran 3; weirdly one of those was last year only 6 weeks after being hit by a car. Can't believe I could run then but not now?. 

Good consistent miles Ric; 10 a day pretty darn impressive. 

SG; if you can run I would; unless its affecting you below the neck what's the worst that can happen. Probably a 60'xx which would still be top 5%. 

AG; good luck there. Let's hope your legendary ability to produce on the day prevails. 
  • Options
    Bloody hell, bizarre set of ailments just before this race, Can't believe so many affected just before the race, hopefully Reg can at least get some thread representation on it. Feel for you Pete!

Hard session tonight at Luton in the omnipresent fecking rain. It was a 1600,1200,1000,800,600,400. We had about 80 secs recovery on most, 90 secs on a couple. Came out as 5.10, 3.48, 3.07, 2.24, 1.48, 66. Conditions not great, so reasonably happy. The 400 felt really slow, seemed like I was sinking into the track. 

Anyway off to the the folks in Poole for the Easter weekend, hopefully might stop raining for two seconds.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    I'll try and do that Dean. Otherwise i'm gonna be obliterating newsfeeds! And posting lots of silly shortuns.

Noticed a guy on a segment in Wycombe was claiming a 33second 400metre. :)
    A strange run of about 12miles, that he must have been using a bike or a bus midway on. Bizarre.

from 7/8min miling for miles, then suddenly 1 and 2min miling pace!
    If you see silly times just flag them. It's a Strava rule.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes SG, ten miles a day - like I've just done in extra mud and water. I don't take this muck home with me since I have a stream nearby. I jump in there and wash off the debris. Two hundred yards later and I'm finished.

Only difference with five years back is that I'm now ten pounds heavier. I also have to accept that some days are just no-go jobs. What I do is run or try to for about a minute and then decide from what crops up, whether or not to bother going any further.

Pete, you have my sympathy. Half the deal with injuries is knowing them for what they are and how they are resolved.

Prodding and poking the sore bits from day one will just damage the muscle more. It must be given a week to settle down. Massage is only needed to free up and separate new muscle from scar tissue, which is why it's best to leave well alone for a few days.

I think what has happened is that you've over loaded a half repaired injury, with the result that you have damaged new muscle along with damaging again what was already damaged.

As for SG racing while under the weather. I thought he'd already tested that idea with empirical evidence gleaned that to do so will do him the power of no good at all.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I'm comfy that it wasn't worthwhile today. I only just crawled out of bed to eat just then. Feel a little better eating now, so I hope by Sunday I can ease back in! Disappointing at they had a night out planned too, but there's no way I'm driving 30mins like this for a night out :)

Ric, your last line is bang on. I think it was a bit of a casual turn of phrase from Pete, as clearly the "worst" that could happen is what happened last time at Wycombe. Miserable race, collapse at the end, and a year basically in pure limbo.

Instead, I'd ask what the "Best" that could have happened today was.

Hopefully this way, I'd be good to go again in a short period of time.

Pete, 3/11 is incredible bad luck. I thought missing the Marlow 5k and Marlow half for about 4 or 5 different reasons was bad, but that's something else. Fingers crossed that you get to the bottom of things. It's annoying to be ill or something, but you know it'll pass. Those niggles you can't see the back of are the worst!

Ric - I've almost thought 10 is a very solid run distance. My ultra running pal once laughed at me for calling a 10 a long run, but then he was doing 140miles a week at one stage!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Well my low level cold didn't get worse overnight, throat tickling, running nose and slightly wheezy but apart from that I felt ok.

Spoke to Phil before the start and he informed me the start was delayed due to the extra numbers which gave me a chance to have a little warm up jog but I was feeling sluggish. I planned to start out at 60 minute pace and see how that felt before squeezing it a bit in the second half.

After some circling around the industrial park ticking off 6 minute miles we hit the cycle path which I was please to discover was all paved; I assumed it would be mud. I was also surprised to see the 4 mile marker already. I think my mind was still kind of in HM mode. I'm not used to running a 10 miler.

Felt ok but not great and I started to reel a few in but not many. As we left the cycle path and back on to the road I hit 5 miles in a couple of seconds under 30 minutes.

I decided to crank it up a bit but probably went a bit too fast on mile 6 with a 5:43. As we moved onto pavements it became uneven and single file which made it difficult to keep that pace up and miles 7 & 8 were mid 5:5x.

I didn't really feel like I was in a race, more of a hard time trial, basically I knew the time was going to provide a soft PB. Mile 9 was a tougher one as it went up over the railway line and twisted and turned and I had to slow for a couple of guys that didn't seemed to be able to go round corners at speed.

I enjoyed the last mile as we were back on the road and I ended up in a 4 way battle for whatever place it was. I slowly cranked the pace up and held them all off to finish with a 5:40 for the last mile and to win my meaningless little mini battle.

Time was 59:27 so decent enough and I did the second half in pretty much in the odd 29:27. My average heart rate was actually 5 bpm lower than my Wokingham HM run so clearly there's more to come.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good run there Reg. Sub 60 mins for a10mile is always a decent result.

As for the runny nose sore throat issue. I always check the wind direction if I get those symptoms. If the wind has come from an easterly quarter then it's odds on it's the shit air quality from the continent.
     The sooner we are out of the EU the better. No need to import their pollution?

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What on earth Ric :):smiley:

Pretty good effort there Reg. Certainly must have only been a low level cold!

Rest day 3 for me. Very gruff voice n throat now, so it's moving. Glad i wasn't due to go to Manchester today. That'd have been a slog.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just completed my walk - looks like a lot to read backover, so for now, good work reg and sensible decision SG!

I'll bore you with a full report some time, but for now, just to say that the weather, new boots and a hacking cough every night meant it didn't all go to plan, and I had to shave a few peaks off. Nevertheless, got to where I needed to each night, and since Tuesday afternoon, have done around 68M and 25,000 of climbing in rain, wind, snow, ice and sunshine! Temperature on Robinson today was -16C with windchill in a total white out! 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Not sure how a ? mark ended up on the end of my previous joke post.

Anyhow, well done on the walk Bus.

My lot will do a bit of a hike as part of some other exploit but not for the sake of it. At least it means when a tsunami hits us in NZ, there's half a chance they'll bother getting out of it's way.

Up there I reckon should do it.

🙂

• Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Reg, good work on the sub-60! Sounds like a favourable course for a fast time, as long as you're not needing to take places in the narrow sections.

Bus, looking forward to reading about your hiking exploits - rather you than me with that windchill!

SG, hope the illness clears soon!

Long run yesterday, but not by SG's mates standard ;) 10.2mi at 7:38/mi for 75.2%HR - not a bad run all things considered, longest for some weeks and one of the best paces. Definitely benefited from a rest day Thursday. Today was another tempo run, 30mins rather than 5mi this time. Split it into 6 x 5min sections (but still continuous) on the watch to keep tabs on pace. Went off too enthusiastically with 6:12/mi for the first, followed by paces of 6:35/6:47/6:36/6:25/6:42 - overall 4.69mi at 6:32/mi for 87.1%HR. Much better than last week's affair!
    Best 5k within the run was 20:15ish, so what do you chaps reckon I could pull out in a couple of weeks? Perhaps closer to 19.

If I finish the week's running today, I'm on 39.8mi. Not sure whether to run tomorrow and make it a 6-day week, or perhaps make next week the first 6-dayer.
  • Options
    Quick report from Maidenhead. As Reg said, the start was delayed which was a bit of a pisser as I had warmed up, stripped down and started to cool down and then had to go back to the car, get warm again and start the whole thing over again. I went through 10 at Wokingham in 65.xx so ideally sub-65 was the target which is easy on the match at 6:30 average. 

Got back to the start for the second time and stood a bit back. 1,200 starters and I reckon I'd end up round about 200th but there were all sorts of hopeful fools ahead of me. Too late to adjust, the gun goes and we are off, tip-toeing to get started and a few take tumbles on the speed ramps as we pick up the speed.

First 3 miles on target around the office estate but then it starts to slow down. To be frank, Wokingham was a surprise so if 65 were to happen it would also be a surprise so 6.3x became 6.4x for the next handful of miles. I was being passed steadily and drifting backwards but the speed of drift was reasonably slow and no need for panic. Miles 7 and 8 are on a rough pavement so I spent a lot of time on the road being told not to do so by marshalls and then the slow mile 9 with a few tight turns and the field to cross before the last mile back in the estate for 67:50 and 207th.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Good tickle round Phil. 15min delay sounds annoying. You all formulate a plan to be ready to go and it just throws things off. Is parking there more awkward than it used to be?

I see there's another 10miler on the club champs next Sunday too. Hadn't given it a thought, as I'd presumed I was doing Maidenhead. Can't say I overly fancied it either, 10miles on a tow path, starting at 8.30am! That'd require one heck of an early wake up and leave.

Relaxed about champs these days after the Marlow bind! Good days out, but not worth throwing everything off for them.

Shame to miss Maidenhead. I'll wonder how I'd have stood against our two guys in 3rd and 4th home from the club doing 5840s. I did 5840ish 10miles into Wokingham half 6 weeks ago, but different race, different situation.

One odd result I noticed was James at Wycombe Phoenix (in the kit, but not down as the club in the results). Started close to the front line, yet a 77min output. If intended as a jog that's a very prominent starting position, so was it injury? Quite a long way to slog round if so.

Matt - can you keep your mileages to full or half miles please ;) Those 10.2s unsettle me.
    Strava is bad for that. The amount of .99s where people haven't let the garmin do the final beep is high :)

Your tempo paces are quite different! Was it undulating, or some sort of fartlek? if you're 20.15ing on your own mid session though, you'll easily storm way down the 19s I'm sure.

Got a 4miler in after 3 full rest days. 7.20 feeling tougher than it should! But i'm back to some extent.Will probably do similar tomorrow, and hope it's one step closer to full capacity.

Would ideally like to do the Dashers 6x4mins session on Tuesday evening, but I dare say I'm on a race against time for that one.  May have to suck up a 40-50mile week this week.

However, a bit of patience, and we have all summer to properly get going, for fun sessions, relays and races.

Glad the 12 stage relays is 2 weeks away, not this weekend though.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, a good run out Phil despite the delay.

My worst delay to a race was one edition of the Abingdon marathon. I'd done my warm up and glugged a litre of isostar away from the start line, but wondered why there was no urgency to line up with only minutes to go. Reason? 30 minute delay to allow late entries to join in.

It wouldn't happen today for obvious reasons, but whoever made that last second decision deserved a slap. 
    When I finally set off I felt like I had lead in my legs. Discovering my shoes had loosened up didn't help, though that would have happened regardless. It was that factor which cost me a pb more than the delay.
    Shoes have to be welded to your feet for maximum effect in a race.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Strava was worse when it rounded everything down SG - took them years to sort that out!

Good work at Maidenhead philip.

I did my only run of the week yesterday evening. I wasn't going to but the weather was good and forecast to be horrible today, so forced myself out and up over Stile End, Outerside, Scar Crags andmy favourite fell, Causey Pike, for 7M and 2,600 ft climbed. That made my total climbing for the week just shy of the height of Everest!  Unsurprisingly, my hip, which was fine all week, was a wee bit sore at the end.

Rest day today.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You love to shatter yourself on a few climbs! A question on climbs, my 4miler yesterday reckoned there was 260ft climbing which surprised me on what i thought was a flat route. Especially as only two of the miles had a feet climb on the splits and only 50-60 at most.

Any way after bumper post i had forgot the one thing i meant to mention... Watford ac open meets.

A few changes!
    No longer sign up on day, it's all online now - with entry limits.
    £6 an event now, and you need an affiliation number.

A bid to keep the numbers and admin more sensible then. Will have to have a couple of dabbles this year. I see they start wednesday..which is too soon. But erm..soon

• Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I still enjoy seeing the .99s on Strava, as that shows real OCD to exact distances ;) but like Bus said, better than when they used to round down to a single decimal place!

Yeah, a little different eh! The first was much more undulating/hilly, as well as one of those days where you know you need to do it when your heart's notnreanot in it. This week, however, weather was better, wanted to do it, and probably also benefitted from turning my legs over with the other workout - a bit of confidence!

Good work at Maidenhead PMJ. There's nothing I like less than delays - my worst was an hour's delay at the first revival of the New Forest HM a few years back... All warmed up, only to find most of the runners were stuck in traffic! Then to rejoin the toilet queue...

Ric, where did you go in NZ? And where would you recommend in the North Island? I'm heading out at the end of the month for 5 or 6 weeks, got a few days in Auckland before a long stint at Taupo working - I've a few days to fill between Taupo and coming back.

Bus, you should now challenge yourself as to the shortest period of time you can accumulate Everest ascent!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Matt, the Tongariro Crossing is a great walk or I guess you could run it. It freatures Mt Doom (can't spell the real name). It's not far from Taupo. I can also recommend Taupo Sky Diving!

Easy run tonight and I am pretty pleased with how fresh I feel after Friday. Races normally take a bit more out of me.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    MattH: love the word "notnreanot"! 
    re Auckland, parkrunfan is currently living there and am sure would provide advice, as would NZChristine: she has kindly provided advice in the past. Also two of my student running friends have just come back from their year's work experience there...lucky girls! You can contact the first two via the message facility on here, plus if you want to message me I can forward your details to the students.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.