Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    TR said:
    Hope the hammy heals quick Reg, maybe get some physio on it when its settled to get rid of any scar tissue

Ric - not me, you mean SQ. He deals with it and still runs well, a great advert for dealibg with it and still performing at a high level in endurance sport.

Hadnt done a long run for a couple of weeks due to.going away and racing, so did 20m this morning which was a toughie, was 29 degrees when i finished at 10.45. Should have gone out at SQ- oclock.
    Apologies TR. Usual mistakes from me.

🙂

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    No problem Ric, i just dont want to take SQ's credit for how me manages it so well, your knowledge of the supporting cast members was pretty good though.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, another turn out today, and after last week's fell eye opener,. back on more sensible road terrain.

Burnham Beeches 10k

With temperatures on the bbc website as 24 degrees feeling like 27 at 9am, with this race due to start at 9.30 it was guaranteed to be a scorcher.
    Hopes of lots of the route being in shade through the beeches kept  things calm though.

A club championship event, there was some decent competition from my lot. Mr Foster, one of our star 4, arguably the best of the lot when everyone is fit, and 2 from my "group below" standings in the club.
    This made for a race within a race!

I hadn't signed up early enough to get the parking within the grounds, the "VIP" parking, so I was about 10-15mins down the road in some random field.
    All ok, as the race is only 10miles from home. I love a little race trip, but sometimes you can't beat the really local ones.

Saw some friendly Burnham pal faces and one of my clubmates, and trudged in, necking a few waters down.
    The HM here was my 2nd ever race and remains the only raced I've ever had to have a  pitstop in! A mix of too much water and Lucozade tablets that day!!

The HM sets off at 9.15 and we're off 9.30.
    I've done a bare minimum 1mile warm up and must admit I spent about 8mins in the portaloo getting some shade. Luckily there were loads and no queue, so it wasn't one of these usual scenarios you'd be screwing everyone else doing such a thing.

The start was similar to the 5k here in May, just a more burnt dusty looking version of May's plush grass. And off in the reverse direction.
    It all looked so much bigger a field today too.

We're off, and inevitably Dom has stormed off as he always does, oblivious to who he's against.
    The 4 of us Dashers, a lady and  a Maidenhead guy that Foster had warned us did a 2.10 800 yesterday make up the front 7, with Foster certain to be the winner, every one knew even this early.

Lap of the field, slight climb out of the field, and this time a right out of the grounds, and a left onto the road the old 5k route starts down.
    I clock a 3.40km first marker come up, but today won't be a time thing.

Dom has dropped off a little, but then absolutely monsters to the front, only to drop back off!

We've formed a Dashers 4 at the front!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A bizarre little 100m down one road, to a cone and back is as always quite unwelcome, when they could surely just move the start or finish on the field a little.

I miss the 2km marker, and instead take a 6.04 mile split.
    It's one of those days for not really having a clue what pace you're doing, a go on feel job.

I'm wondering how long this Dasher 4 will stay together.  Foster isn't at full pelt, but we're working hardish to stay up with him. On form I should be 2nd in this group, but you never know.

The course has a 100 feet climb at about 3-4km, and a shorter climb at 7km.
    However, because of the missing / lack of cetain km markers I'm not totally on board where and when they'll kick in.

I get the next split as a mile too, and it's 6.18, so this must have taken in the steeper climb, albeit after last week's hills, nothing to worry about at all of course!

There's some decent spells of downs to make up for the hills, and I'm going decently, Foster pulling away a bit, and a Maidenhead guy and Chris right on my shoulder not going anywhere. The 4th Dasher has dropped a bit more, as has the lady and Dom.

I do manage an actual km marker this time, 3.33!

On we go, 5.56 next mile, then an utterly useless 1.18 (!) when i took it manually on a km, then a 5.52 mile for even more confusion :D 

Chris has dropped away, but Maidenhead has literally been within yards for 3miles or so now.
    I lose him for a few metres on ups, but he's back on flat and downs.

By 9km, I know I'll be in the pots, but I suspect it won't be 2nd, it'll be 3rd.

So it proves as we get into the school, Maidenhead steps up equal and one step ahead, I say "take it on mate", he does so, and I'm happy just to finish the long loop of the field without utterly obliterating myself on a very hot now exposed in the sun finish.

A few cheeky looks round at each corner, to see my Dasher colleague well behind, and over the line for what the chip will probably say

36:27 for 3rd 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Having done 35:46 at Eastleigh - a high quality field in great conditions, I'm delighted with a 36:27 on a much lesser field, undulating course in this heat.
    I think that stands up really well.

34 or so seconds ahead of 4th, and only 24secs off 1st.
    A much higher percentage of my year's best than 1st did for sure.

Knew the presentation was ages away, so 3 of us went for a cool down.
    Which ended at an epic 4.5miles including a random sortee through a field with a bunch of cows right on a gate, and a subsequent dodgy clamber over the stile. Plus getting slightly lost in the woody part, and ending up having to get down on our bellies to get under some barbed wire to get back on the course!!

However, 1hr 45 after finishing,. it was worth the huge wait for the quality trophy.

Great day for the Dashers, taking the 10k win, 3rd place, V40 and 3rd lady - who is 60 so we expected the inevitable FV60 pot, but she actually came 3rd overall!

Our 3 main women competing for the club champs will be gutted - none of them turned up, and all 3 could have had a reasonably comfy 100 points AND a top 3 pot, but that's the game -turn up on the right day!

So a decent day - and now no races on the agenda until the winter, so will have to work out a new plan.
  • Options

Cheers, TR. not sure about my being a high level, but I hope I can inspire a few T1D kids with my antics. Good effort on the 20M and pleased I now have a time named after me 😆

Ball ache, Reg. Hope it recovers soon. 

Enjoyed the race review, SG. Great selection of pictures including the pack racing. Impressive time in that heat. 

Tried out the Saucony Endorphin Pro 2 on Friday morning. Wouldn’t usually bother as have had several versions of 4% then a Next%2 and these have been fine to race a marathon out the box. But thought it prudent for something completely new. 

Most importantly, they fit and no obvious rubbing. 10M at 7:15 average for an impressively low HR. So can’t compare as not a race effort, but for the overall output and the 4 alternate miles I did put in a little bit of effort they seemed to come out well. Perhaps a little nimbler with a touch more ground feel than previous super shoes I’ve worn. Anyway, at £105, worth a gamble. Back in the box now until Abo. 

Recovery running otherwise, including 7M on lovely trails with a mate on the Northamptonshire/Cambridgeshire border this morn. Just sneaked over 70 for the week. 

There is a local 5k that has always been run on a Saturday morning in the first weekend of September. Couldn’t previously see the point given free parkrun that morning, but heard some good reviews. Saw a FB post a few of weeks ago that was solely to ‘like’ a post, rather than ‘share’. Lo and behold, I won two places! So will enter the wife and me. Probably no other racing in the next couple of months so good to get an aptly timed one in (not keen on £40 for Cheltenham Half the following morn). 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Agreed SG decent time compared to your Eastleigh time, especially as you dont like running in the heat. Hopefully you get a performance benefit from it.

SQ - those shoes sound good, decet price too. Ive used Saucony, ran a lot of miles and races in Rides.

10m yday, 10m today didnt get out until 11am today so it was warm, but i have IoW 1/2 next weekend and thats 11.30 start so can get warm.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SG - quality in that heat!  I tried to get out for my LSR early yesterday, and as I rarely get out before 11 on a Sunday these days. 9am was sort of early!  Still hot though and I actually took some water for once, which I was very glad of!  14 hilly miles exploring some new trails, thankfully mostly in the woods to make 46 miles for the week. That's 4 weeks in a row averaging over 45M, so getting a decent block in.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Promising bit of consistency there Bus. 

Decent turnout SG, you're a busy boy this year.

SQ - I have the original Endorphin Pro, I like them, I don't get the sense that they are really quick but I enjoy the more normal running feeling and they work well sockless for triathlons which I could never do in Nike VF/AF.

Of course all members of my shoe rotation are currently sat idle. I iced regularly for two days and seemed to really keep the swelling down and no visible bruising is evident. First couple of days I was very careful moving around and had a few painful moments but now an initial amount of healing seems to have occurred to enable normal tasks, such as walking around and picking stuff up!

I am away for a week in Pembrokeshire and I left my bike at home so it will be a full week off, albeit I might get some swimming in. I expect to be back on the bike when I get back but running may well be a couple of weeks off yet.
  • Options
    SG, looks like a good result given the conditions. I was about to say I always find racing at Burnham in the woods to be a lot hotter than my normal runs in the woods but when I think about it, my normal runs in the wood are earlier and less intense. I do wonder if there will be a gradual change in the coming years to earlier start times as the difference is huge; yesterday was 22 degrees at 8, 29 by 11!

Bus, I see you keep passing through my patch on the way to and from the Thames so we will have to try and organise a meet-up even if it is just a beer sitting on the patio. 

I've got a few days' holiday at the end of this week (staying a Bourton-on-the-Hill nearish to SQ) and then off to the US for a week which gets me towards the end of August. If all that goes without incident I'll most likely plan an autumn race.

parkrun on Saturday was interesting. I went down early to check the course and decided to run the full 5k even though it is a lollipop so you do the first 2k, then a 1k loop (which ends up very close to the start), then reverse the first 2k to get back. Having done that at a gentle jog in 25:47 I thought the same again would be sensible and there was a 25 minute pacer so I said I'd follow him. A friend (VM55, same age group as me) returning to running after a freak eye injury in Egypt said he wanted 22:30 and I said that was way too fast in the heat but we agreed to set off together and I ended up with 21:42 (him with 22:01) which was just a second down on the time I did a few weeks ago when it was much cooler. It felt hard towards the end, heat definitely cutting in.

The 25 minute pacer did 25:24 but his PB is 25:13 so I don't have a clue what he was on!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ta chaps

TR, it's the humidity that gets me, not the heat. I was out doing runs in the 38 degrees heat a few weeks ago and found it pretty ok and my races in the heat this year have all gone well.
    I wouldn't choose to race long in summer though, say a HM, I think that's a pretty low win strategy!

Phil - it certainly does romp up. And seems to peak later and last longer than we seem to have remembered it in previous years - staying red hot until 8pm or so.

Reg - 22 races on the grid so far for 2022. My record in a year was 32 in 2018 which was certainly my most satisfying year of racing since a good decade back I'd say. Hopefully can continue to mix club stuff, winning the odd pot, doing good times for this period of my running, with the odd mad one thrown in :)
    Have 8 qualifying races in the club champs now, so that should bank me a top 5 trophy at least there.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     If all that goes without incident I'll most likely plan an autumn race.

Yes!
    The big man is back!

I saw Mike from Handy Cross there yesterday, one of their coaches.
    He seems more mobile post hip replacement, but said some potential heart issues.

In comparison you are in utterly mint condition, and quit racing way too soon, so it's good to see you talking about returning.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Good work SG - quality in that heat!  I tried to get out for my LSR early yesterday, and as I rarely get out before 11 on a Sunday these days. 9am was sort of early!  Still hot though and I actually took some water for once, which I was very glad of!  14 hilly miles exploring some new trails, thankfully mostly in the woods to make 46 miles for the week. That's 4 weeks in a row averaging over 45M, so getting a decent block in.
    As per Phil we need you racing more. A good block, maybe another month of that and all being well some road racing stuff might be doable again :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Promising bit of consistency there Bus. 

Decent turnout SG, you're a busy boy this year.

SQ - I have the original Endorphin Pro, I like them, I don't get the sense that they are really quick but I enjoy the more normal running feeling and they work well sockless for triathlons which I could never do in Nike VF/AF.

Of course all members of my shoe rotation are currently sat idle. I iced regularly for two days and seemed to really keep the swelling down and no visible bruising is evident. First couple of days I was very careful moving around and had a few painful moments but now an initial amount of healing seems to have occurred to enable normal tasks, such as walking around and picking stuff up!

I am away for a week in Pembrokeshire and I left my bike at home so it will be a full week off, albeit I might get some swimming in. I expect to be back on the bike when I get back but running may well be a couple of weeks off yet.
    The main plus point of your niggles is that you're now a master of knowing how to judge your comebacks.
    Add in a reasonably quick return to high percentages of your level, and all is never lost for you with these breaks.

Hopefully on course for a crack at decent Autumn of racing.
  • Options
    Good time that SG - hotter than my 10K last week. I must admit i'd be happier with my £15 in an envelope than a trophy though ;). What did you get for the team prize?

Off after today for a week, so not time for a full report, but..

Saturday - Sunny Hill parkrun, Hendon/Barnet - 21 odd on a hilly course. Wife and kid drive off to Thurrock, I have brunch in the cafe...then get talking to 2 French guys about footie until 12.30!  Then Tube to Tooting Bec, 1500m in the SAL. As expected, very hot - 4.24.

Sunday - 12 miles

This morning - 9 miles
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There wasn't a team prize unfortunately SC! Sod's law!

And talking about football, I needed that quality Sunday race after my 2 boys shockers!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    SG - humidity is tough, but luckily we get more heat than humidity. I dont mind training in the heat, but you'd defo race better on cooler days as your HR would be more under control.

Good stuff Bus, Reg is doing you a favour by sucking up all the injuries.
  • Options

Some good mileage, SC. 

SG - agreed that humidity is a killer when racing. Singapore parkrun ruined me on that front. 22 races in eight months is good going!

Have a good trip, PMJ. Some lovely Cotswold trails there if you get a chance to run. Do you have the Strava or Garmin route feature? Or probably plenty on Fetch as well. 

TR 1130 is an outrageous start time for a summer race. I looked back at my trail marathon from November. 0815 start. That is the dream!

Third BAC session of the 12 week block called for 3 x 15 minutes at a touch faster than marathon pace, with 3 minute jogs. 

Headed to the (bone dry) grass track for an approximate conversion of 3 x 3.6k off 600 jogs. Actually headed here twice - the first time I arrived at the track and got a call for some family rearrangements, so it turned into a random 3M run at 7:40 pace. 

Take two a few hours later. 1600 splits were:

6:30, 6:30, 1:37 for the final lap (600 jog)

6:30, 6:30, 1:38 (600) clockwise 😳 

6:25, 6:30, 1:35

Some generous GPS gave me 11.4M at 6:40 pace. At least I know the track splits were correct. Happy with the consistency and feel like I am building some fitness. Either the longer tempos or just the aerobic runs seem to really do it for me - something I’ve not been doing since March. 

• Options
    Sorequads said:

Have a good trip, PMJ. Some lovely Cotswold trails there if you get a chance to run. Do you have the Strava or Garmin route feature? Or probably plenty on Fetch as well. 

I use Fetch to plot routes (https://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes.php) but cross-check with rights of way via https://www.rowmaps.com/ as the maps they use, OpenStreetMap, can allow you to plot a route on paths with no right of way. I then download the .tcx file and upload that to https://dynamic.watch/me which syncs the route with my Garmin. I use the free version so only one route at a time so I plan a stack of routes and process them before the holiday and then switch between routes using my mobile. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    3.6k reps has to be a first for the thread in 11 years SQ :D 

I looked at that Winchcombe 10k, as I scout for some next races, but I saw your last year's strava and saw something like 460 feet over 1 mile, and just thought, no-one needs that in their life for a standard 10k!
    Obviously I had last weekend's hill double, but for a 10k road race that'd be no fun!

Have a good  hol / work trip double up Phil.
    Fingers crossed the race build up can begin in earnest.

Our lot have a 5k handicap event on Thursday. It's basically one of their local parkruns and then a social after.
    A few weeks ago I sort of fancied it, but at this venue, basically running a parkrun hard but without the credit, i've gone off the idea.
    Think I'll do a session Friday instead.

I think these session from the front door have done good things for fitness this year, as well as making timings easier lifestyle wise.
    A couple of nips to the track when it needs tastier stuff, like small reps 400s, or the 200s in general.
  • Options

Pleased I could introduce a new distance to the thread, SG 😆. Re Winchcombe - it is a funny one, I cannot find anything about it this year. As you suggest, its usual slot is August Bank Holiday. As I really enjoy it, I have contacted them via various routes, but not heard back and so can only assume it isn’t on. A shame. I loved nothing more than a race with free sausages. Think it might have changed slightly since you did it anyway. Whilst there is some road, it is definitely predominantly trail. Suspect it would be classified as a fell race if the same elevation were in the mountains somewhere. 

Very thorough, PMJ. I was suggesting looking for other people’s route suggestions via these means, but agree that Fetch is excellent for planning a new adventure. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's changed totally SQ.
    Mine was a 4.7miler!

Including some unmarshaled road crossings for danger too.
    I do recall some sort of hill but deffo not the levels it sounds now.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Been away so haven't read back fully but looks like some good racing for SC, SG and Jooligan!

SG - I like Burnham as a race but a quick check says it has been 10 years since I last done the HM. 11 years ago I felt I had a stinker and then ran 20s slower for a podium place the following year (very very hot and muggy). I seem to remember Dave Bedford being the starter then as well.

PMJ - iron levels.... I've got lifelong anaemia issues so take a daily high-strength iron supplement (ferrous fumarate) with lactoferrin (helps with iron binding). The regular iron supplements are ferrous sulphate which an old GP maintained were about as much use as licking a railway track (plus they'll play havoc with your stomach).
    I'm not a fan of aging, but as my wife always tells me it's better than the alternative, so yep, pretty much in agreement in making the most of whatever time we've got. Easier said than done sometimes though.

SQ - you're putting in some tasty training. I'm sure you've said, but which marathon are you training for?

I ended up with a week off as had to dash to Ireland, then 4 days of 30-40mins easy, before 8m yesterday (5 easy, 3 steady) and 12m very easy today. I feel better when I've run but finding it hard to get the motivation to get up and out the door at the moment.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - good going on that BAC session, you seem to be in good shape. Plenty of time to get yourself well under 3hrs too.

SG - nothing wrong with intervals from the door, any session i do is in a commute, which is a bit lumpy.

10m yday which was tired, so i wibbled about doing my session today as i needed a double for logistics, but got going ok after a few creaky reps, so 10m (inc 14x3min) and 7m for the day, good mara prep.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a busy day right there TR.

TT - the years quickly rack up don't they and it can be funny how long we go without certain distances.
    Before autumn last year I'd not raced a 10k since spring 2017. Four in 2022 so far!
    Am sure the motivation will come back soon. You'd have to be an animal to feel 100% motivated the whole time, year in year out.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps SQ, when you said about making enquiries about Winchy 10k, I think I recognised the name of the lady I'd dealt with about my trophy in 2008.

A quirky looking goblet that I believe they hadn't realised was quite valuable AND would be won by a non local.
    Hence some frantic email hounding to get it back from me :) 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SG - my powerof10 for the last few years is almost non-existent. This year saw my first 10k and HM for 3 years and my first Marathon in over 4. 

Speaking of races, I see there are conflicting options for road relays in September - the Southerns at Crystal Palace, but also an alternative event being put on by AFD in Aldershot. I loved the relays at Aldershot but given the previous cancellation at short notice I can't imagine they'll get a big turnout......

3m jog/track yesterday. 8m very easy this morning. Track was 2 sets of 10 x 300m. Generous recoveries of 70s and 5mins between sets. Aimed to run smoothly and consistently. First set was 8 x 57s, a 58 (traffic), and a 56. Second set was a mix of 56' and 57', but finished with a 55 and 52. It felt a lot better than I thought it would.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Our man Foster really knows his onions running wise, and he politely told us that the 6 stage relays aren't really worth our while as we'll get annihilated.
    We can have a decent yet realistic effort at the 12 stage with the higher numbers needed, but competing with superstar clubs over 6 is just a mug's game for us.

Nice work on the 300s. A distance I only ever do on my 5k plan at a really hard effort with very few reps - 6x300.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Back into the sesh

6x0.5m, 2x0.25m, 2x0.12m

Usual road loop, and a fair variance today, depending on terrain and wind.

2.51, 2.55, 2.50,2.43, 2.43, 2.49
    37x2

Woods 4 at lunch, 46 miles so far in a post 10k race week, and I look forward to a SAT OFF tomorrow.
    Sunday will be usual long.