Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, as long as the given pace is my given pace not someone else's.

Basic question. How many already fit runners out there have run any session at 100% of their limit and returned the following week and run even faster?

Not many I'll bet.

Simply too destructive for building purposes.

What actually constitutes hard effort is an error of perception. On a physiological basis, by the time you start hurting and straining you're already past the most effective pace/effort.

Endorphin's can block pain to such an extent that the athlete feels they are doing 'no work', when in fact their bodies are being quite stressed.

However, go fast enough and the stress becomes so great that it over rides even the endorphins. That's when most runners think they are now working hard enough. When by then its too hard.

Take it easy. It isn't.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nikki great news

alehouse -  thanks for the tip off about the mile race. It fits my diary perfectly.

ric - what about those images of Steve Redgrave flogging himself to exhaustion. They seem to think hard work to their max was important. http://youtu.be/7Ghyo82JMbI

• Options
    alehouse wrote (see)

Phil: which race are you doing on Friday 30th? I was going to do the LFoM as I was probably going to be in London then...but neither are happening. LFoM is the previous week, very inconveniently as I'm working.

I just assumed it was LFOTM, now I check it is actually 23rd and not 30th. That Friday is  PruHealth World Triathlon London in Hyde Park so I will probably run down and see if I can spot any fast ones.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - I can accept the concept of over-training being counter-productive, but surely the whole basis of making physiological changes is to get your body to react to (controleed) additional stress.

Johnas - for some reason all of you activities and comments have stopped appearing when I look at the team GB group (even though my in box tells me you've commented!) so I've sent througha new connect request to see if that fixes it.

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

cheers Bob, will look into those.  there also the festival of miles at oxford as part of the BMC event.  i expect more will pop up as its the anniversary of bannister sub 4.

did the bingham mile you did last yr make it to Po10 ?

Interesting point re: the Bannister anniversary.

Is that Oxford event on 19th July? I think the BMC events tend to have fairly strict entry criteria though? Pretty damn certain I won't be fast enough unless this one is a bit more open!

And no, the Bingham mile didn't make it on to Po10. There was official timing from Notts AAA officials to record any national or county records though. If they repeat the event this year and you were interested therefore, I'd guess they'd be happy to verify and submit a time that was going to improve your AT V40 ranking.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ha! i wouldnt qualify for a BMC either but they held a festival of miles so the truly blessed all went off in the first couple of heats at around 4mm pace then the next 10 or so heats gradually got slower so didnt need a BMC qualifying time, which brings us into play.   tempted by Bingham though as have family near by. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Stevie S, great to see you back in some kind of form, and really good to see you beating last year's times.  Hopefully you'll be well under 10 at your upcoming 3000.

Nikki, fantastic news that you can get back to some running at least.  Short and sensible will do the job well.

I've been looking at summer races, and did have a look for the Oxford miles.  I couldn't find any reference to a 2014 event at all - is it on? Anyway, looks like I shall be getting some track races in this summer for the first time since I was 15.  Should be interesting.  I'll be shit at it, but it's all part of the plan/

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

By the way, I have just entered Leeds Abbey Dash in November as my main autumn race.  Hoping to meet some of the northern contingent there.  Anyone else from the south likely to make the trip?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - good man getting involved in some short track this summer. Oxford bmc is on 19th july. but the timetable isnt on line yet.  but will banisters connection to oxford and this being a anniversary i think its safe to say oxford will host a mile event.  I did notice that the BMC are holding a mile race in london but its invitation only and only 20 competitors so thats no hope there as it will be 4 min milers.

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

By the way, I have just entered Leeds Abbey Dash in November as my main autumn race.  Hoping to meet some of the northern contingent there.  Anyone else from the south likely to make the trip?

Dachs, I'd like to do Leeds Abbey Dash, are you driving up solo or doing family visits etc? If there was a southern rad trip going up I'd like to be on it. I can offer my brothers house in Buxton for Sat night stay.

• Options

Right, understood - thanks, Dean. Have added that date to my diary as a possible. Sounds like a good day out, and event to be part of.

I remember you saying previously about the family in Notts now. In fact, was talking to a chap from our club on the way to the Midland Relays last month who knows your brother, and therefore also knows of you. As a fellow veteran we were discussing faster runners of our age group, and he laid enough pieces of the jigsaw out that seemed to fit well enough for me to ask whether this guy he was describing went by your name by any chance...small world!

I'll give you a shout and ask some pertinent questions of the Bingham organisers if it's on again this year - has been early September for the last two, and details were released in late July I think.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, yes I'm aware of Redgrave training to absolute exhaustion but at one level that was simply a test in pain management.

On another level was the day that Redgrave and Pinsett had two races close together. To get their energy back between races they gorged on 1kg of 'Jelly Babies or was it Beans'?

Just that fact alone indicated that they didn't know half what you think they did. 

Bus, if you knew how much physiological changes were required you wouldn't be straining yourself so much.

All you need to do is give your body a good hint that you're going to do something more extreme. It gets the message quite well given a chance.

By contrast, if you keep giving your body the 'beating of its life', it'll will simply call off the deal. It won't adapt at all. You'll just free-wheel around your basic ability until the injuries stop you for good.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ, I'm likely to be doing it as a weekend trip with my wife - not sure I could justify it otherwise.  I expect she'll want to get in some Bronte action the day before or somesuch to make up for it.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

I remember you saying previously about the family in Notts now. In fact, was talking to a chap from our club on the way to the Midland Relays last month who knows your brother, and therefore also knows of you. As a fellow veteran we were discussing faster runners of our age group, and he laid enough pieces of the jigsaw out that seemed to fit well enough for me to ask whether this guy he was describing went by your name by any chance...small world!

ha excellent.  fame (or infamy) at last.  i wonder if your mate knows of my brother through hockey links? 

regards leeds abbey dash - im hoping to make it a target race this yr. 

• Options

Am also considering a Leeds entry..

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    alehouse wrote (see)

Phil: which race are you doing on Friday 30th? I was going to do the LFoM as I was probably going to be in London then...but neither are happening. LFoM is the previous week, very inconveniently as I'm working.

I just assumed it was LFOTM, now I check it is actually 23rd and not 30th. That Friday is  PruHealth World Triathlon London in Hyde Park so I will probably run down and see if I can spot any fast ones.

I think the London WTS elite tri is a sprint this year, so you may need to watch carefully or it'll be over in less than an hour.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great news Nikki! Slow and steady wins the race!image

I'm hoping to be at Leeds abbey dash also. Will be my last 10k of the year.

On a more depressing note I've hit 30 today and celebrated it by having treatment on a sore ankle after being at work all day. Rock and roll.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

happy birthday Matt imageimageimage

• Options

Happy birthday Matt. image

• Options

Happy birthday, you are catching us all up!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers! Managed a couple of 5 milers today so the ankle still not really hindering things. That said I did some circuit training on Friday and I'm still in pieces now. Must be old age! ;/)

I've also eaten enough crap this last few days to last me a lifetime. Captain America will look a bit round on Sunday at the fell race
  • Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

ha excellent.  fame (or infamy) at last.  i wonder if your mate knows of my brother through hockey links? 

I think that's probably it, Dean - yes. Thought I recalled hockey cropping up as part of the conversation.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Happy birthday for yesterday Matt. Start planning for veteran status...

This weather can piss right off. All my running shoes are soaked, and i havent even been running that much.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Happy bday for yesterday Matt.

perfect conditions at the track tonight. 12*600 off 2 min rec. target 1.48/1.49 which is a 72 400.  Session went well but hamstring tightened before rep 11 and i made sure I didn't push the last 2. All 12 were 1.48/49. I felt leggy on last 2 reps. So will go very easy tomorrow.

• Options

Dean, 12*6 is 7,200 which is a step up from your usual payload of about 5000 (fanatically at 5000 even to the extent of 6*800 plus 200). Coach just varying or is there a plan?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

yep, coach works off 8k volume (though only 7.2k last night) where my own made up sessions are 5k volume at race pace. im going along with his approach.

he has split the group into 2, middle distance guys who did "only" 6*600 but at 1500m pace and the 5k group who did 12 reps at slight faster than 5k pace. 

i think this is my last week with the 5k group as i was trying to build up some general fitness to last me the summer and next tuesday is a 3k race then it all eyes on track 800m so will join the middle distance guys sessions.  my problem, or could be a good thing i need to see, is im comfortably the slowest 800m/1500m guy in that group.  they are all 1.50-1.52 men so i have to be smart, park the ego and accept that i will be dropped during the reps.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Lots to be gained training with faster guys in my opinion Dean. Is the summer plan still sub 2 min as per last year?

Happy Birthday for yesterday Matt. Wishing your ankle a speedy recovery

Oh, and good to hear things are progressing in the right direction Nikki

Dachs - long shot but I'm over in Newbury at the weekend and wondered if you were doing a long run on Sunday and wanted any company?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

johnas - that is the goal.  but its going to be very difficult finding those 3 seconds.  if i can train injury free and get in the right races i wil; give it my best

hope you are training well and ready to attack some races soon

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Highgate 10000m for me next weekend. Shitting it! Should be a great experience though and am looking forward to watching the elites races later in the day:

Joanne Pavey, Fionnuala Britton, Charlotte Purdue, Alyson Dixon, Sonia Samuels, Tish Jones, Andy Vernon, Andrew Lemoncello, John Beattie, Alistair Brownlee, 

Jonny Mellor, Ryan Mcleod, Paul Martelletti, Alan Murchison to name but a few all in action

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You name dropper you! Should be a grand day out....

Dean - it will be inteeresting to see what happens after a few sessions with the middle distance group.

Odd run yesterday. Started off with very heavy legs, but after about 5 miles I decided to force the pace a bit and the last 4 miles all went a lot easier. Then today, on my run to the station the legs felt a bit more like their old selves thankfully!

Reps tomorrow hopefully

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas, looking forward to hearing about the track shenanigans.  I did consider coming to watch with my oldest, who's starting to enjoy watching athletics, but it goes on way past his bedtime.

Good reps as always Dean.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a good 10K plan for my kind of level of runner?  I've previously just run 10Ks as and when I fancy, but I wanted to see what would happen if I actually specifically train for Leeds in November.