Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Mrs Skinny knows.

MP Runs have been okay 

8 at MP 6:49

10 at MP 6:49

12 at MP - this Sunday.

I am not committed yet to this as my PMP - that may become more like 7:05 if training does not improve.

• Options

Mr V - it is quite pretty but a bit hilly and windy. Sounds like a satisfying session - nice not to worry about splits and just run hard (in style of marrows's LT runs).

I was lucky enough to get to do 15.5 miles with 12 @ MP this morning on the way to work, because of the national XC on Sunday. Needless to say I was not feeling enthusiastic but in the end it came out a bit faster than it should because of a following wind for about 2/3 of the distance (mixed with some non-windy sheltered bits). There was a headwind for the first bit of the first mile and for about the last three, but by that point you don't care if it's a bit difficult as it's nearly over. Anyway, I now feel better about last week's LT fiasco, and felt the Fife coastal winds owed me a bit of an easier ride!

• Options

x-post with Skinny - I actually think in a weird masochistic way 12 @ MP is better than 8, because I feel a bit sluggish for the first three miles or so until I get into a rhythm, and the longer the run, the smaller the proportion of it that is.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lit,  I think you're the only runner ever who seems to frequently find following winds.

I can only ever remember running into wind.

The last 2 miles of the Great South Run being the worst ever in a race. Must have lost about 40seconds over those 2miles.

Got home to be told by one of my online stalkers that it was fair enough, because i'd had a "following wind" for other parts in the race.

Told me they'd said so on the tv. 

Well, if it was said on tv it must be more valid than the opinion of a runner who was actually there and running.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

but grouchy coach comments aside, Lit you're in a good place for this marathon.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    But lit, you don't have a Marathon target, so you can't possibly have done your MP too fast

Good to see you back running Lou, was just wondering how you were getting on

Skinny, I think you're very wise to decide without pressure. It's a big commitment, and with your successful running history you'll want to do it justice.

Will be 15 miles for me tonight. I've moved the MP run to next week to accommodate snake lane on Sunday. Typically, after barely any wind for weeks, the forcast is very wet and windy for the weekend. Boo. In better news I have just made brazil and almond butter.
  • Options
    Madbee wrote (see)
    But lit, you don't have a Marathon target, so you can't possibly have done your MP too fast.

I don't have a marathon target; I have training pace zones set by SG based on previous race times.

The prevailing wind where I live is SW.* To find a following wind, you simply run NE.

*except the other day when it changed direction to confuse me.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Skinny – PMP? Looks good on the MP runs front so far. You are nailing those even if you aren’t enjoying the LT stuff right now!

Lit – Newcastle suffers from always being windy as well. Impressive session to get done pre work. Rather you then me! Are you finding a good pace improvement over your previous mara campaign?

Madbee - Typical how the dodgy weather always settles in ready for race day..

• Options
    Mr V wrote (see)

Lit – Newcastle suffers from always being windy as well. Impressive session to get done pre work. Rather you then me! Are you finding a good pace improvement over your previous mara campaign?

Yes I am, but it is hard to compare that session to the same one last year (in Nottingham), as it was ludicrously windy on that day too, and sadly I couldn't find a tailwind to take me most of the way, so I did it on a 4-mile loop with alternating headwind/tailwind bits. Today's session was a little more undulating but more evenly paced, perhaps speeding up slightly in the second half, and the pace was comparable to last year's LT sessions.

• Options

Ruddy 'eck. Busy here since yesterday morning. image

Tommy - Feck. Sorry to hear that. Just as you were getting some momentum going too. Where's the pain exactly?

Skinny - Oh gawd, another one taken by the lure of distance over sanity. You do all realise that the original marafunner Pheidippides dropped dead after delivering his message...

PMP - Predicted Marathon Pace?

Pete - Nope, you are not alone. If I ever do a marathon it will be a sign that I've exhausted or given up on all ambitions at the shorter stuff.

Good to hear you're getting the trainers on again, Lou.

Good sessions from Mace, Mr V and (probably) Lit, but as she doesn't tell us paces any more, who can really tell? image

Lit - I shall probably be on that loop you mention in Notts later. Working this evening, so getting my long run in for the week this afternoon ahead of what I understand is already an insanely muddy Parliament Hill on Saturday. And there's more rain in the forecast. image

• Options

Catching up …

.. couple of terrific speed sessions from Bob and Mr V. The marathon mayhem continues with yet more ginormous threshold and MP sessions and - wow ! - Skinny joins the fray. Good luck with that Skinny.

Sad to see Tommy leave the fray - hope that foot mends soon. Good to see Lou back at it on those coastal paths.

As for me, I am declining the marathon possibility this year. Like Skinny I had been trying on extra mileage for size, but I think given I’m about 5 months off 2 years of running, I’d prefer a bigger base of mileage and strength before committing to what sounds like a massive step up in training. I’d also like to see what I can achieve as a v45 at half marathon and shorter before going longer and 18 weeks of marathon training and recovery would take a big chunk out of that, though I understand if I survived it I'd be fitter and stronger.

Madbee - Good luck at Snake Lane. I have an up and down 5 mile race on Sunday. Forecast is 20mph wind and heavy rain.

Bob - Good luck too at the nationals cross country. Think it'll be milder on Saturday compared to Sunday, if that's any consolation.

• Options

I don't tell you paces because then people start to go 'oooh, you're planning to run x:xx:xx in the marathon' and that is really quite irritating, as I am not planning anything, and also think there are many variables such as terrain and weather conditions to take into account. But 6:25 average if you must know.

Besides which, I posted my paces from ALL my LT ones just the other day!

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Lit - I wont make the obvious comment then, I'll leave that for Skinny image. 12@ 6.25 is pretty good going regardless of the target you dont have.

Muddy - I think that's a wise decision. If you get your half down down even more that gives you a great base.

Bob - Really glad I'm not doing the Nationals! Thankfully the girlfriend is travelling down with her club giving me an excuse not to go!

• Options
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Tommy - Feck. Sorry to hear that. Just as you were getting some momentum going too. Where's the pain exactly?

On the outer edge of my right foot just behind the ball of my foot. Not as painful today but can still fell it. Went for a swim this morning before work.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I was lucky enough to get to do 15.5 miles with 12 @ MP this morning on the way to work, because of the national XC on Sunday. 

Well done Lit, that's a great effort before work and probably mainly in the dark - I did 16 with 10 at MP before work a few weeks ago - the only advantage is that at least its relatively quick - 18 miles at Long Run pace that I did the week after was a really early start! For just an extra 2 miles you're comparing about 2 hours with over 2 and a half hours.

PMP - Planned Marathon Pace rather than calculated MP.

Re Lit's time for a marathon - I wouldn't be so rude as to guess but from a thread point of view its really exciting to see her and Mace bashing out similar training times and both looking great with 9 or 10 weeks to go (or 6 or 7 weeks until taper starts which is how my brain is dealing with what's still to come)

• Options

muddy: good decision!  A close escape from the forces of darkness.  I can imagine you making a serious impression as a V45.  Looking forward to it!

• Options

PS I was not suggesting it is exciting because they will be racing each other - it is exciting because both the times they are going to run will be excellent.

• Options

Just been on runbritain to have a peek at V45 rankings image.  Some amazing times.

Unfortunately, I also noticed that my handicap has crept up to 13.  Not so much unlucky as embarrassing.  Hope I'll be in a position to reverse the trend come summer.

• Options

PPS Because I'm sure Mace does not want his legs brokenimage

• Options

I will outsprint him in the last 800m. It's starting to get light earlier now; didn't need knuckle lights and it was light before I'd finished my warm-up.

• Options
    Nice to see a bit of fighting talk amongst vlmers.

Muddy - you might as well wait until you qualify for a vlm championship place.
  • Options

For me the reports of training are more interesting and useful with the numbers included so I am grateful when someone is willing to put them out there and put up with the annoying comments (which I know often come from me! sorry).  It's a big ask cos you forfeit the chance to amaze everyone by smashing a declared 'target' unrelated to training paces image (a girly behaviour, though I can think of one boy)

• Options

I like numbers, too image

Edit: apart from 13.0, obviously.

• Options

Lou - I made that joke a while back to fend off club questions about when I would do a marathon ... but I have to take it seriously now. Just so you know, that's 5:44 min/mile pace, so just outside current 5k best pace image

Pete  - Yep, some terrific times there for 2014 at a national level and far out of my reach - but I am looking to compete locally in my age group.

• Options

Okay now I am public I can start asking irritating first time marathon questions. There are so many marathoners on here that no need to seek out an expert thread!

So I need to practice having gels and it looks like the way to carry them is a gel belt. So my stupid questions are:-

1) Do people actually race with the gel belts on and carrying the gels? I notice that the feed stations at Manchester only have free gels at mile 19 which doesn't sound like the regular early consuming of gels advice that you can read everywhere.

2) I've decided to pick MyProtein gels as my first ones to try because at least they will match the free ones at mile 19 so that's one less gel to carry provided my stomach can handle them. They don't seem to do a gel belt so do all the gels fit in any gel belt or do you need to get a gel belt for the right size of gels?

3) The MyProtein ones are 70g per gel - if I have one every 4 miles that means I'm going to be carrying 5 plus the free one - so an extra 350g for first 4 miles - sounds a lot?

• Options
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

Lou - I made that joke a while back to fend off club questions about when I would do a marathon ... but I have to take it seriously now. Just so you know, that's 5:44 min/mile pace, so just outside current 5k best pace image

Pete  - Yep, some terrific times there for 2014 at a national level and far out of my reach - but I am looking to compete locally in my age group.

I CBA to go back and look but how long ago is it that your current HM pace was your 5k pace? 

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Muddy -That isn’t a current reflection of your 5K pace though. And you’ll probably be hitting that for 10K the next time you race. Then just need to step it up to 10 miles. By which time you are nearly there. Simple really image

I also like numbers and the associated guessing of race times that goes with it!

• Options

Skinny:

1) yes.

2) dunno but no point getting a special belt to carry a particular brand until you've actually tried one or two.

3) they're not especially heavy.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, I didn't fancy a gel belt as worried it would slip etc. I purchased a cheap neoprene mp3 holder off eBay to strap around arm. I got 3 gels in it I think and jelly babies and carried one gel. As soon as I got to one gel I threw it.
  • Options

I just wear a small pink bumbag that has my gels and other bits in (lipstick, mascara, face powder etc).  I jest but I do carry stuff like bog roll, a map and a phone in case of emergencies like getting lost (obv won't apply to the marathon itself but I have form for this sort of thing in training) image.  

I did pretty much the same run along the coast as Lou did today - 12 miles of leg quivering hillyness.  I can report that it was done at a cripplingly slow pace as I value my ankles.  Very beautiful though. I ran straight to the pasty shop to refuel for a Large traditional (good and peppery) before meeting my family on the beach.