Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Skinny - July 12th 2014 5k @18:38  was roughly my January 18th 2015 hm pace.

I once saw a chap carrying his gels tucked into his socks (in a half). He nearly fell over trying to get them out without stopping. I realise this is not particularly helpful but it made me laugh at the time. Trying to be helpful, our club's speedy senior marathoner uses a slimline bum bag for his gels.

Mr V - that 17:36 is from end of  December so probably fairly close to where I am at now. Funnily enough I had the same thought when planning races at Christmas - see what came out of a 10 mile race then attempt to convert that over a half a month later. I've got Coventry half a week on Sunday so that will serve as an information race about where I am at currently (which doesn't feel that much different to pre-Brass Monkey).

• Options

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSB2TSFiFgpC2-SaLaRAAcDnqJ5xEq3hx-AmoJf8ag1lhmdXgtvQ

Thanks for gel answers.

• Options
    Skinny - I shelled out for a spibelt (tm) which was quite expensive but obviously much better than a cheaper brand. I didn't notice it whilst running.

I wouldn't rely on picking one up during the race; in my experience, things started getting emotional at around 19 miles.

Muddy- as Mr v point out: just run 10k at 5k pace, then 10miles at that pace, then 13 miles. You've done it before so no reason you can't do it again.
  • Options
    lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Skinny - I shelled out for a spibelt (tm) which was quite expensive but obviously much better than a cheaper brand. I didn't notice it whilst running.
    I wouldn't rely on picking one up during the race; in my experience, things started getting emotional at around 19 miles.

Spibelt - thanks - they look good.

I'll pack some tissues in it just in case!image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31513159

Hope I don't have to finish like this! Although I'd take her finishing position.

• Options

I've got a SiS gel belt. It was quite cheap. I had to get my sewing kit out to make it small enough not to move around, but after that it was fine. I now have shorts with enough pockets, so might see if they're comfy to run in with 4 gels in and if not will stick with the belt.

• Options

Glad others were able to give you useful answers about belts, Skinny. I gave up on belts and use a specially adapted bra, here modeled by my sister's teddy.  It has 2 layers of fabric and I cut a hole in the top layer at the front, gaining one continuous pocket all the way round. I will add a couple of seams at the sides before VLM this year to stop me losing gels round the back.

5+3+16 yesterday, felt good and made up for a crap run on Monday. I picked up that guy in the park again.

/members/images/473351/gallery/DSC01356.jpg

• Options

I think I'll stick with a belt image - although that banana would look good in some modified undies image

A triple day? WTF - is that in the plan?

• Options

no but the 5+3 let me get to the office via an errand without paying fares or bringing my bike in or sitting in a box when I could be outside looking at the birds and the people.  Run at 8:50 pace I hope to get away with it.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ah- I remember this little number from last years p and d thread, I never appreciated at the time that you were using it.
    Debating what to do for rest of week re running. My ankle, foot and lower leg are purple/black/yellow and there is some mild swelling, however it doesnt hurt to walk and I ran 7.5 yesterday and it didnt hurt. My mate reckons I will end up doing untold damage if I continue to run on it. I am not really sure why I would though.
    Debating to have a few days rest/easy cycling and just maintain fitness and make sure I get to the start line a week sunday.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Marrows, you really do some nutty mileage sometimes.  I don't know how you manage not to break! 

DT, I...don't know.  I would generally think that no pain = no real damage, but swelling could indicate something being not right and potential problems later.  I am lucky enough to be inexperienced with injury, but would think that priority would be getting to the start line, no? Cycling would presumably do no harm if that also doesn't hurt?

I don't have a gel belt, I HATE anything moving round my waist, and no matter what I've tried it starts twisting or slipping about.  I don't use gels though, I prefer shot bloks, and I can squeeze 2 packets into the back pocket of my shorts or tights. It makes me look like I have a peculiar camel-hump-style growth at the top of my arse, but stops the annoyance of wearing extra stuff.

• Options

DT - I think your mate is right and you should not run.

Madbee - the secret to not slipping or twisting is to do up the belt really quite tightly. But that is differently annoying because you've then got some annoying constrictive tight thing round your waist. You may find as well that as you are a slim woman most belts just don't go small enough to do up tightly enough not to twist round.

Alternatively, I recommend the women's Ronhill cargo trail shorts - 5 pockets!!!

• Options

DT - If you turned it and it's black and blue and swollen, you've stretched a ligament beyond its limits. It may well feel ok at present but if you turn it again for example when you're tired and your form is not so good, that weakened area could get really damaged. At the very least you should wear a brace but cycling or anything that holds the foot in position (like my favourite, the elliptical) would be best.

• Options

When I went to the physio about my sprained ankle (which didn't hurt any more by that point, though was still warm and slightly swollen) she said that the majority of serious sports injuries are repeat injuries from going back too quickly and re-injuring the still-weakened area.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice. I guess even if it looks worse than it feels now, I have temporarily weakened the whole area.

I have a neoprene support on it and ibruprofen gel (in absence of ice in work) so hopefully it will be good come the start of next week. Just frustrated as will miss my final 4 quality sessions before Coventry.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

DT - agree with muddy, sounds like some sort of ligament damage. I definitely wouldn't be running.

Skinny - i use a SIS belt and have stitched it so it's fairly tight. Once you get a few gels loaded it can sag and bounce around (like Lit in a P&D campaign) if it isn't tight enough. Best to have a trial run to see what works.

Lit - 6:25 is good going, it would be nice to run some of VMLM with you but if that's your true MP then i think , if last year is anything to go by, you'll be out sprinting me in the last feking 10 miles let alone 800mtrs.

This week is a swap around for me as i have the Thanet 20 next weekend which will be the P&D 12M MP run week . So this week is the recovery week and i keep looking at it wondering how it makes up 74 miles and adding up the days to make sure i haven't missed any miles. Lit mentioned recently about being "long run brainwashed " by P&D and that really does seem to be the case when a 74 mile week suddenly looks a piece of piss.

So, rather than do the planned 11 GA this morning i felt i could cope with a bit more and chucked 7 miles of MP in it at 6:30 average.

• Options
    mace wrote (see)

Skinny - i use a SIS belt and have stitched it so it's fairly tight. Once you get a few gels loaded it can sag and bounce around (like Lit in a P&D campaign)

http://shockabsorber.co.uk/en/bounce-o-meter/

Like this you mean?

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Mace – I’d have thought the recovery week was in there for a reason even if you feel good. I’m no mara expert and don’t want to sound like a bore but just be careful you don’t end leaving your mara performance in training! Sorry expression of concern over you are clearly in great from at the moment if 74 miles is easy and you still want to add extra quality in image

DT – Agree with the others. Definitely play it safe.

Muddy - Yes I also need to convert my 10 mile pace to a half to reach my 2015 target. But I'm giving myself the full year to do it rather than a month!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I hope I wasnt the only one to select options ff-g and 'extreme' image

Good running mace. 74 miles seems too easyimage

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say lit sagged, particularlyimage

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)

I wouldn't say lit sagged, particularlyimage

I should bloody well hope not!

• Options
    For research purposes only DT.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    7 miles with strides this evening in a normal bra, and I can report a bounce-o-meter reading of 0.
  • Options
    Good work Madbee. I'm sure there was a spring in your step at least.

It's been a woeful week for me with everything getting in the way of running, not least this persistent cold; perhaps I should have given into it last week. I am just going to take it as a cutback week and hope all the rest leaves me feeling good on Sunday.
  • Options

Are you racing on Sunday, Muddy?

Kellogg's are offering a free personalised spoon if you buy three boxes of cereal.  How exciting! We've only got one box, though, and I don't know what I'd have on the spoon.

Recovery day for me today.

DT - the least you could do is provide a photo of your technicolour ankle.  Timelapse would be even better

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

Are you racing on Sunday, Muddy?

Does night follow day?!

Foot feels much better today, just in time for the fizz to look at it.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Im too tight to buy kellogs. My cereal cupboard is full of cheap own brand alternatives.

I do have a couple of pics I took the other night. However ive no idea how to put it on here.

I am in the same position s Muddy. Had I wanted to be training, a variety of scenarios have conspired this week to have meant it would have been a completely frustarting non starter.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

There, I think the flash nd lighting doesnt do the darkness of some of the colours justice. The swelling has gone this morning which is a start.