Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny -  2 good traing runs for you and i guess what you're trying to say about the LT   run is if you'd done 6:25's as somebody suggested then you'd have nailed 7 miles image

McF - well done and a nice strong finish suggests some in the tank.

DTimage on a confidence boosting pb. Over the next few weeks i'd concentrate on how you can eliminate your race day toilet issues ( don't forget, if there's no loo roll you always have a pair of socks ) image and get some decent LT sessions in using your new stats. I found the Daniels LT reps in the Autumn both enjoyable and raised my fitness.

Charlie - well done on the long run milestone

Bob - sounds like a good analysis of your time and why it wasn't quite what you'd hoped it would be. So many variables involved including that we can't always perform at our best all of the time.

muddy - great work on another sub 80 and i want one of your race reports image

I did 6 easy and 14 @ MP for a 2:16:04 at Thanet 20 which got me 12th place and 3rd V40. A nice hard training run and i'll post a report later.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Thanks all, but as Bob and Skinny have said, it's overdue!

Good work on the time and the prize winning, Lit.

DT - well done, looks like you judged the race really well (with the exception of your bodily functions), good to see you back close to PB form.

McF - looks like you judged the race to perfection, great work image.

Muddy - consolidating a sub 80, excellent. sure you'll be back on the PB trail at your next race.

Bob - I'd seen your result on the club FB page and didn't think you'd be happy. From what I've read elsewhere, conditions sound pretty poor, especially in the last 2k. I'd say it was still a pretty solid result coming off the back of base training and a tough day XC'ing the weekend before. Finger's crossed for better conditions at Lincoln. Are you down at HP tonight?

• Options

Sorry Tommy - your sub 20 slipped by me somehow. Well done ! image

Excellent run there Mace. image Any prize for 3rd vet ?  

Bob - Just bad luck, pure and simple. As I was finishing yesterday and the wind was blasting through I did pause to think your race was going to be a tough 'un and seemed I wasn't wrong. Sure Lincoln will put it to bed though.

• Options

Well done Mace - great run - 2:16:04 for 20 miles - or 2:16:04 for a marathon less 6.22 miles.

I'd be pretty excited to go through 20 miles in that time in 7 weeks but there wouldn't be 6 easy miles in there!

On the assumption you got a prize I've realised that I've missed Lit's prize off the updated tables so if you confirm one way or the other and i'll update.

PS: And yes 7 at 6:25 might have been doable - I did try and calculate how slowly I could do the 7th mile and still claim an average of 6:25 but my brain wouldn't work. Obviously that would have been a stupid thing to do anyway!

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Nice race report, DT. Needing a poo mid-run is always a horrid feeling.  Slightly in awe of your willingness to shit yourself in the line of duty though!  Mind you I'm so nervy before races (even Parkruns) that there is literally nothing left as I'm on and off the loo all morning.  Those water things were ok as you could hold onto them and sip at leisure. Bit of a knack to them though and at one point I was squeezing ineffectively for ages but the water only came just as I'd given up and taken an in-breath.  Spent the next mile coughing and worrying about pneumonia.  

Mr V - left knee seems mended image.  Right knee still a bit sore but no worse than it was and it wasn't sore whilst running.  I think not going over LT pace (and only 7 miles of that) means my legs are only as damaged as they would be in a training run.  So feeling not too bad today.  Day off anyway and a recovery run on Tuesday.  If still sore will take an extra rest day on Weds.  I need to start getting into track sessions again if possible but aware this is probably the biggest stress and these sessions not as important as my long runs so going to be a bit cautious about that.  But I do need to try and build my mileage back up or I will have nothing to taper down from.  

Mace - that sounds like a great run! How does the pace feel now?  Feeling confident? I'm a bit worried about how to get the 14m at MP done now - was originally going to do it in Warwick half but that's going to be raced hard now so going to have to do it on my own . And we're running out of weekends! 

Bob - sounds like everyone had a tough one so I wouldn't be disheartened.  Or you're just turning to the cross country dark side?  

Thinking about doing Shakespeare Spring 10k which is the Raceways one round Long Marston in a couple of weeks.  Looking at the results it doesn't look hugely competitive for the ladies.  Anyone know what the prizes are like?  DT - Lou mentioned you maybe placed in the 5k once?  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Gosh, that's a lot of activity for one morning. I went for a 6-mile run at 6am and have been busy since then. The main thing that leaps out at me to contribute though is this: I always bring my own toilet paper to races, even though I never need a poo.

• Options

Top notch 20 miler, Mace. I do hope you're going to tell us what pace the MP section was.image

DT - Similar thing with the RB rating for our race I think. Lots of new runners (many of them recent recruits to our club!) who were either racing a 10k for the first time, or are still on their initial improvement curve so PB'd regardless of the conditions.

My crap performance is still niggling away at me however, and did a bit of digging on the Wunderground website - looks like I was right that the wind was stronger than the 24mph Connect reported. The below graphic (if the link works) suggests that after a breezy morning, the wind really kicked up to 28/29mph just in time for the race at 10.30, and continued to strengthen to 31/32mph just in time for coming round the corner shortly after the 5m mark to run directly into it...which was nice of it!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/histGraphAll?day=1&year=2015&month=3&ID=EGNX&type=3&width=614

Was due to be running a hilly 6 miler for Charnwood on Sunday that I was going to LT, but I need to put this one to bed, so if the conditions look more favourable, there's also a comparatively flat 5 miler at Weston that I may not be able to resist that morning.

+1 for always taking bog paper even though I rarely need it...thrice before I even left the house yesterday morning!

Tommy - I think it's more likely I'll run a short recovery run solo tonight, although I don't feel like I've got 'race' legs having waved the white flag before the run in. Fancy Weston on Sunday? 11am - register by 10.30 on the day.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think Connect just takes information about what the weather forecast was for the time you started your run; it often bears little resemblance to the actual weather.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

I missed Tommy's 5k pb, TITS !!!

Nice one Tommy image  image

As well as a medal for 3rd Vet40 we got a trophy for 3rd Men's team image

McF- difficult to say for reasons i'll elaborate on but yesterday felt about right and i'm fine today. As for the 14@MP, i did pretty much that yesterday but will have another go in a few weeks on a flatter ( more VMLM-like ) route. I was looking for another 20miler to have a crack at but being so far out of the way down here there isn't anything about and i could get the run done in the time it would take me for a round trip.

I don't go in for all this Run Britain malarky or Strava, sounds like too much bother to me worrying about what everyone else is doing. I can just about cope with Facebook.

Lit - i think you're probably right re Garmin weather.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm boycotting Run Britain until a certain person tells Scottish Athletics she doesn't live with her mum any more so I can be no. 1 in my postcode area.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob , I've been considering the Weston 5 miler, initially as a build up race the marafun, but haven't entered et as I might be out on Saturday night. So I was considering another parkrun (possibly making a short trip to Melton). However, I'm not sure if I'm out on Saturday anymore so Weston is looking more promising. Looking at the TTT your 5 mile time is due for a serious revision! Hopefully the weather conditions will be kinder. Will be in touch later in the week to confirm plans.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Bob, it definitely was windy yesterday, so you did well to even manage what you did.

Well done Cov crew - sounds like you did a little better out of the weather than the rest of us.  Special well done to DT - a strong performance after a frustrating year by the sound of it.  McF, good controlled run too - I think you'll be in PB shape pretty soon...  Muddy, we've just got used to fantastic performances from  you... but actually your assertion that you were  running into the wind all the way round would have been totally believable this weekend so you could have written a reportimage

Skinny, great long running - nice to have that one in the bag.  Race prep has felt easier to me on the last two training attempts than the LT mesocycle, so enjoy the next few weeks!

Mace, good way to get the MP run done, sounds like you had a well-controlled run too, and great finish position.

Had first ever physio experience on Friday.  Main finding was that he was absolutely gorgeous and I was a bit in love, but nothing seriously wrong with my legs.  Apparently I should have gone to see someone about my slightly dodgy inner ankle about 5 years ago, as the tissue's thickened around the area, but there isn't much physio could really do, as it's due to my left arch collapsing and stretching the ligaments repeatedly.  He suggested doing some general strengthening exercises on both ankles, but go and see a podiatrist about orthotics to keep the arch up and correct the foot issue.  So need to decide whether to go down the NHS route for this and wait a bit longer, or pay for it.  Doesn't seem urgent really, as I've had the problem on and off for years and it's never actually gone twang.

So yes, running as usual at the weekend.  Did 17 with 12 @ MP on Saturday at my more ambitious pace and found it really very hard, so probably going to stick with original goal pace.  That said, I did run my GA the night before about a minute per mile too quick, and had a rubbish night sleep so that would also account for general fatigue.  Splits for MP section: 7.30, 7.21, 7.29, 7.33 (stop and breathe for about 10 seconds afterwards), 7.29, 7.27, 7.27, 7.17 (much too fast), 7.22, 7.28 (stopped for a drink after this one too), 7.29, 7.34.  A very heavy-legged eight yesterday finished things off.

EDIT:  Tommy!!  Great PB image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mcf- yes, its my greatest moment in running! I came second in the 5k. Basically there was a table of seemingly random and donated items and I got to simply pick what was there. Obviously the further down the distances the less choice. I had a litre of aloe vera gel which I then sold on eBay for about ??15. I then received a rather cool pair of cuff links in the post as v35 winner. I think if you win the event there are gift vouchers and if you wing age group there is a defined prize. Everyone else picks off the table.

I've suddenly started thinking about raceways as my wife is off that day. However, given I didn't get home until 2pm yesterday she might be less enthusiastic.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Do the kids like to run?  Ours love racing and there is a kids race at 9:15 which is good fun.  Sell in on basis of a family day out and maybe go to the Butterfly farm or Stratford Armouries afterwards?  Lou can keep her company whilst you run.  It's a good one to spectate as you get to see your runner multiple times with little effort.  

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Madbee – I think you need to be very careful with orthotics. I know so many people who have ended up with much worse problems than those they were intended to fix. If you go ahead make sure you go to someone who is experienced in treating sports people and specifically runners. 

• Options

I think we lost some posts, including Mace's race report.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/server-work-at-2pm-today/287679.html

Shame that wasn't set as a sticky at the top of all forums. image

I still had my post from earlier open in Notepad...though my reply to Mace's post doesn't make much sense without his report!

Well played, Mace. Suitably confusing to ensure that we've got little chance of working out what actual MP might be - sly dog. image Enjoyed the report though, sounded tough, and a mopping up of prizes while you were at it too. Great stuff.

Tommy - Rightio, will catch up later in the week once the dominoes start lining up.

Madbee - I have not dissimilar issues, and now do (most of) my road running in mildly supportive trainers, which seems to have sorted them out. Said with absolutely no knowledge at all obviously, so don't take my word for it, but might be worth looking into whether that might help you too to save going down the complicated orthotics route - which I also had suggested to me by the fizz initially, until I explained why I was keen to avoid them for a variety of reasons. Top notch long run / MP'ing anyway.

Lit - Good point on the Garmin weather now I think through the alternatives.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Bob, what were your reasons for not wanting to go for orthotics? I already wear support shoes but doesn't seem to have solved it...

Mr V, thanks for the caution - I don't know much about it really, but obviously what I'm doing isn't totally working... Though it's bearable discomfort so maybe I should just put up with it. Don't want extra issues really!
  • Options

Hi Madbee - when my latest physio looked at shape of my legs he said one of the problems causing my peroneal problems may well be my overpronation caused by my bandy legs. He said that whilst core, glute, hip exercises could all help that they could not prevent some overpronation which may always cause a problem.

So I asked him about shoes and he said just stick to shoes I'd got and also said that orthotics would be the final option if all else failed. The reason he gave was that by correcting your feet positions you would probably solve the problem that currently exists but would change the form and impact areas throughout the rest of your legs, hips etc and therefore often new problems/injuries are caused.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Oh FFS i haven't gotta write all that again have i, it took most of my lunch break ?!

Summary - Thanet 20

Race organised by my club in memory of Ricki Savage, a fellow Thanet Roadrunner, who died shortly after completing 2013 Dublin Marathon.

Route is from my hometown of Ramsgate along the coastline to Broadstairs, back along coast to Pegwell and back again to Ramsgate.

5 easy running East with a tailwind av 7:18

10 MP after the turnaround running West with a headwind av 6:43 ish

5 MP back east with a tailwind av 6:25 ish ( including mile 19 uphill 6:36 and a last mile 6:14 )

My HRM played up from mile 6 so i had to go on perceived effort as it's a fairly up and down course so difficult to get a rhythm and there was no way i'd hit MP into the wind and still be alive at the finish.

As i have no HR data to go on, the course is completely different to London and the wind was pretty horrible ( we heard somebody say after " i'm not doing that again it's all up, down and bloody wind ), it's difficult to say but i reckon i should be capable of 6:30-6:35 with a decent taper.

• Options

Now that was a bit more fun this morning than LT runs and massive long runs.

5 * 600m off 90 secs at 5k pace - to save me messing around with the garmin went for 5 * 0.38m in 2:10 which I calculated as about right. Looking at speeds I maybe got my calcs a little wrong but anyway I did the first 4 all in 2:09 and then the last one I ran past a couple of people I knew so it was a bit faster in 2:04 which worked out at 5:23 pace which is inside my track mile PB time from last Oct/November - so a bit fast! image.

My weekly P&D question

Previously I have asked if it is important to do the races on the Saturday and the answer was no, normal runs of that length are fine. The follow on question is that I don't normally run on a Saturday at all as I play golf and that already takes 5 hours out of the day. So if Saturday became a rest day and I shuffled that run earlier in the week am I then not running the Sunday long run on tired enough legs to get the intended benefit from the structure of the plan.

For a few weeks I'm prepared to shuffle my life around a bit if that is the considered view but I'd like to know that it is required before I do.

Thanks.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't know but I would say that for me personally, I would not be tired if I had been for a normal run on Saturday and then went for a long run on Sunday so I would just do whatever I thought was most convenient, if not doing a race.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - i wouldn't take the day off before the long run for the reason you state, sack the golf off for a few weeks image

Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Now that was a bit more fun this morning than LT runs and massive long runs.

Fun ? You're sounding like our very own Zebedee ...

In other news, i picked up a trophy ( 3rd male team ), a medal ( 3rd V40 ) and another medal ( 2nd male team Kent Championships ) at the club run last night image

• Options

Well it is about 12 miles to golf which I start at about 7:20am so one of the options is getting up at 5:30 and running to golf having dropped all my clothes, clubs etc at a mates the day before.

Well done on the prize haul - are you building a trophy cabinet at home?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Well it is about 12 miles to golf which I start at about 7:20am so one of the options is getting up at 5:30 and running to golf having dropped all my clothes, clubs etc at a mates the day before.

Perfect !! image

madbee - hope you get sorted

We were discussing a possible newcomer to our club at our run last night. He's actually the chap who i caught and overtook for 3rd place at the Thanet 10 in December. You may recall me saying in my race report at the time how excited i was taht i almost wet myself.

Anyway. apparently he's mid 30's and started running in March. He trains Mon-Fri consisting of 5 runs of 15-15-15-15-15 !!!! He recently did a 2:52 Marathon and followed it up shortly after with a 2:58. I spoke to him on Sunday after the race ( without knowing who he was at the time ) and he was complaing about having knee pains .... He raced Sunday and is doing another 20M race this weekend.

• Options

imageimage

Lacks a little imagination, flair and creativity with his training - is he an accountant too?imageimage

My mate who I'm doing Manchester with ran his long run on Saturday and it was 22 ½ miles at 7.32 pace with last 3 at 7:08 pace with 1285 feet of ascent - his normal training times are just slightly faster than mine - he's got about 9 marathons under his belt but his times have tailed off recently.

I think that's too hard a training run with 7 weeks to go particularly with the ascent involved or is it just some great stamina and endurance banked - time will tell I guess.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Mace – Sounds like a well-executed run. Seems like you have an idea of what you are capable of but sensible not to commit to a specific target. Interesting programme he’s following there image

Skinny – Sounds a quick session though I can’t work out the paces so I’m just guessing!

Looking very windy for the last race of the club 5k handicap series tonight. Think I’ll have my work cut out avoiding a series worst time. But I’ll give it my best shot.

• Options

I caught Mace's excellent report before it disappeared. Some terrifying paces there for a 20 mile run.  Did you have a fuelling strategy as that wasn't mentioned in the report ?

Bob - Sounds like a good idea.

Madbee - Very impressive 12@mp in amongst 17 miles and more over the weekend. I am cagey about orthotics having been recommended them. I tried a cork sample and it made me feel like I was going to fall over. It was such a big change in the biomechanics for such a little thing. Decided to work on the strengthening side instead and so far so good.

Fast 600s Skinny.

Mace - There's a senior at my club a bit like that. Ran a 3hr marathon in training 3 or 4 weeks out from his target marathon image which was a 2.52 last year. He's coming on leaps and bounds though and finishing top 3 in races recently. I can't keep up in training now image

• Options

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_196.PNG

Updated for Lit's second place which won her £30 and Mace's haul which included an individual V40 third and a couple of team prizes - not bad for a training runimage

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Interesting that there is a strong leaning towards no orthotics.  Think I'll hang fire till I can do some research.  And/or buy new shoesimage 

Skinny, I put my runs all over the place due to a peculiar work schedule, and I don't think I suffer for it.  Have never had chance to put this to the test by actually doing all the runs in the correct order, but I really don't think it makes a massive difference in something like P&D which uses a lot of miles, mainly easy.  If you were doing something like Hansons that relies on shorter runs and cumulative fatigue then it might matter, but I really don't think having a day off on Saturday will ruin your training.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Madbee- I ouyld also echo the comments. I have been told that if you have spent all your life in a position, then orthotics shift you slightly it will just create more problems.

I missed Maces report, sounds like a decent 'training run' nd a nice haul of medals seperately.

Skinny- One other point re Saturday races that I recall from discusions last year is that in the US a saturday race is a far more common thing and that is why they appear in the schedules as they do as opposed a sunday.

MCF- I don't think I will push my luck with Long marston. Plus I looking at things sensibly I have a 5 mile, 10 and a half in April so need to get  clear 4 week training block in I think.

Legs are still a bit sore today so will do  a recovery run lunchtime and leave it at that.