Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've been used since start of year to doing 2 x quality a week its just been an mp run and a xc race or hill reps. I'm trying to carefully build up through training paces but retain mp run as I quite like it.

That's perfect running temp!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's just that, to me, LT runs (longish tempo effort) and MP runs (long sustained effort) seem like quite similar types of session and because they're both long they take some recovery (and are a bigger volume of quality miles than doing one tempo and some short reps or strides). I still think have one or the other, and do a lighter second session which is just lots of strides or something to build faster paces back in.

It's also going to be 24mph wind, which is less perfect.

• Options

Which is harder: sub-40 10k or sub-1:30 half?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
  • Options

Sub 40.

A 90 min half converts to 40:22 10k according to McMillan. You would need to run all the way down to 89:10 before you convert to a 40 min 10k.

The subjective experience of which is harder will depend on how you've trained for each event though. Probably whichever you do first will feel the hardest.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was running a 1.27 half before I scraped sub 40.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

Probably whichever you do first will feel the hardest.

I think the opposite - I was fairly sure I could run a sub 90 minute HM so I did. Sub 40 10k took loads of work (and I had already run 2 sub 90 HMs by then).

• Options
    Fair enough. I was clumsily trying to say that breaking either significant sub-xx time and then putting in a decent block of training to attempt the other could leave one better conditioned to deal with the next race, even though perhaps not conditioned enough to achieve the target. So the first one might feel hardest. I said probably because there is always the influence of course and conditions too.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Personally I found sounds 90 harder and it took me longer. But I agree that all things being equal sub 40 should be harder. Obvious your longer/ shorter distance bias will come into play here.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It is also true that it took me longer to achieve a sub 20 minute 5k than four sub 90 min HMs, which might say something about endurance biases or might say something about how much I can't be bothered to do parkruns.

It is National Run To Work Day today. A pleasing coincidence.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Also, for the record, it is set to be a whopping 12 degrees in Fife on Saturday. I think we can all agree that is pretty spring-like.

More like high summer for that part of the world. Though the bastard weather forecasters appear to have been leading us a merry dance with all this talk of spring-like weather at the weekend anyway. Not much evidence of it on the more recent forecasts. image

If I were to participate in National Run To Work Day, I'd have 48 miles in my legs by the time I got home!

Never having run a half I'm not best placed to comment, but whilst I can see how in theory a 90 minute half would be more comfortably achieved than a 40 minute 10k, in practice I agree with Mr V that it probably depends on an individual's bias. Pretty sure it wouldn't have been for me.

Enjoyed my 5 x 0.5m reps last night, which I planned to run between 5k and 3k pace, though kept generous 2 minute recoveries to save the legs a bit in case I do end up racing on Sunday. Target of 2:55, though got a bit carried away in the first and last reps with the odds having the benefit of the breeze and what little incline there was. 2:51, 2:54, 2:54, 2:55, 2:51 - average of 5:46/m pace, so a bit closer to last year's 3k pace than initially intended, but all of them nicely under control and never felt like I was forcing the issue.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, they never said anything about running home too. I am planning to get a lift.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hang on, you are not supposed to enjoy 3k pace reps.

• Options

image 2 min recoveries

Well done though Bob - nice session.

Charlie W wrote (see)

Both will be a piece of piss for you Charlie image

• Options

Nobody else here commutes from my neck of the woods, and it would be 3 buses!

3k pace reps are much more enjoyable than mind numbing long runs, mahoosive MP chunks, and tortuous LT sessions. image Vive la difference!

Anyway, these weren't quite 3k pace reps - that'd be 5:41 - though it won't be long until I get properly stuck into the 1500 and 800 pace reps again - can't wait. image

Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

image 2 min recoveries

Well done though Bob - nice session.

Charlie W wrote (see)

Both will be a piece of piss for you Charlie image

Rep length + a third, recoveries + a third on your session, Skinny. Seems about right at this stage of the training cycle, though I was getting bored jogging about by the end of the 2 minutes; 90 seconds would have been plenty.

Agree re: Charlie - I think he'll bust both first time out. image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

My run-commute today included 3 x 2 miles @ HMP off 90 secs. Much more enjoyable than an LT session - it's incredible what a difference a few seconds per mile* makes!

*erm, and the inclusion of recovery intervals.

• Options

Yeah I know - I was trying to explain to Lit why they were fun and not horrific. I was not saying that 2 mins was too long.

One of the luxurious things about the P&D schedule (and there aren't many!!) is you can choose your recovery time between 50 and 90% of the interval lengths - I have taken that to mean that you apply the same recovery time throughout.

So for this week's 600m * 5 I went for about 70% (90secs) because I had been working hard over the weekend and did not want a tough session but next week is 5 * 1k at 5k speed so 2 minutes would then be close to bottom end of the range and is what I'll go for making it a much tougher session.

EDIT: Just found out yesterday that I'm going to have to go to Head Office in US in w/c 16/03 so that will make things a little more difficult that week.image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

The edition I'm using just tells you how long to take, I think - to be honest I've always found two minute recoveries to be long enough for anything as you get bored jogging around as Bob said.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Hey Bob! -  A little out of the blue, but someone asked me the same question the other day, and you're talking about 800/1500 training... are you up for the BMAF track champs again this year?  I've pencilled it in for the 5,000m, hoping to be in PB shape and also hoping that my new experiment with XC spikes on the track works out without causing me any gyp.  Racing with spikes on the track will make me a proper aflete or something.

Hope everyone's well.  image

• Options

Ta guys re thoughts on 10k and HM. Yeah I'm sure I'll piss them both. It's only running right? What can be so hard?

Seriously, it'll be strange doing something longer after all these 5ks. Last 10k I did was in 1997 and this will be my first HM. But I have a feeling it might be my last so the 1:30 is the one I'll nail to the mast. (10k a week Saturday, HM April 12th)

• Options

Is that Worcester half Charlie?  I might have a go at that as it's one of the few dates that fits with McF's schedule.
    90min HM is much easier than 40min 10k.  Took me about 18months between the two (though I didn't properly race a 10k in those18months, so that is probably a little misleading)

• Options

Its really really hard to break 40 mins for a 10k if you don't run a 10k!image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well.....i'd reassess that after you have run Worcester!!! Ive done it twice and would say its the hardest half ive done. The entire first mile is a not insignificant climb!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Its really really hard to break 40 mins for a 10k if you don't run a 10k!image

A compelling point. I didn't run a 10k until after I had already completed 5 half-marathons!

• Options

Now then, Phil - Good to hear from you, and you bet! The BMAFs are to me this year what I suspect Berlin is to you. Gearing my year around trying to peak for those. Hopefully keep in touch with the pack this time rather than being a little off the back of it - at least in the 800m. Who was asking...your pal Kenny Everett...I mean Stu? image Be good to see you both there again. I'm also planning to get some spikes for this season in search of those marginal gains - we'll really look the part this time, 'erm...maybe. I was going to use my XC spikes too, at least initially, but they now have a large three inch rip (and one smaller one) in them from getting spiked at the Nationals the other week. Ooof.

Skinny - Sounds about right to me. Is head office (Denver?) where you had the memorable reps session early in the life of this thread that left you panting on the ground, 'I hate Stevie G, I hate Stevie G' at the end of it? If so, I demand a rerun...most entertaining! image

• Options

image haha - yes it was - I suspect the paces would be quite achievable now but I'll trawl back and find them - give me 2 mins.

EDIT: Great memory Bob - that post was September 2012!

The actual post is a bit embarrassing but the session was only 4 * 1.2m at 10k pace off 100 sec recoveries and 10k pace was 6:45 - 6:50.

That is now MP that I ran continuously for 12 miles the other week which just demonstrates training is amazing.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I remember that post, can't quite believe it's was 2.5 years ago, blimey.

Easy 5 miles with a few strides through Wirral Country Park this evening. Windy Miller.  

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Skinny - Good to see how you've progressed in the long term. All you've got to do now is convert current 10k pace into MP and you are onto a winner image

Better session for me tonight after Tuesdays DNF. It was 5x1 mile @10K pace with 2 minute recoveries. Reps 1-3 were into a stiff headwind. And then a tailwind for the final 2. Average pace of 5.42 which seems fairly reasonable.

• Options

Bit more than reasonable I would say, Mr V.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Don't say that, muddy, that's what he wants you to say! image