Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)
    Tommy, hr data would give you the answer as Mcf says. What was the pace? 

Maybe it would but I don't sit on the HR table. Pace came out at 7:12 (quickest of 6:49 slowest of 7:24) but I hardly checked my watch we were just running and chatting. It felt about the right sort of effort for a MP session.

McF - I have Newton's Fraction HM a week on Sunday, course profile is reasonable until 11 miles.

• Options

I'm thinking maybe we should be in two separate pubs!image

Newton's Fraction HM - that sounds scientifically exciting but I don't know what Newton's Fraction is?

• Options

. (double post - again)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's ok, Tommy, I'll sneak info over to you.

It'll be like going to a local footy derby. We will have a secure line of police separating us.

Thanks Lit......that reads much better.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Sore spot is approx 2 inches directly below my right hip bone.  Is that a TFL?  

My physio mate has offered me a gadget to buy to deal with it.  You attach electrodes and it does the business whilst you sleep.  I feel like DT.  

Just leaving that there for Skinny.  

• Options

Lets hope it doesn't keep you up all night!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have that soreness sometimes, mcf. I get the electric and ultrasound on it. Though not sure about all night. You'd be plugged in to the power to start with,vwhich surely wouldn't bring a full nights sleep.

That is also an insertion point for IT band so worth rolling that.

I knew one by one people would appreciate my devices. I might repost the link to my breathing device.
  • Options
    Tommy think you might want to look at that course profile again!

It's all downhill from 11 miles, at 6 miles and 10 miles though you might want crampons but I presume the course profile must be deceptively steep otherwise you are abseiling at 7 miles image
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Um, yeah. That actual vertical bit at 5 miles looks a bit challenging.

Meanwhile, I did a track session. I did not like the sound of 'we're only doing 6 600s but you have to run them really hard' and I didn't like it much in practice either. It was actually 3 sets of 2*600, with 2 mins recovery and 10 mins of jogging in between sets, which was just enough jogging to build up a feeling of impending doom about the next set. However, they came out surprisingly consistent, in 2:03, 2:01, 2:02, 2:02, 2:01 and 2:01, and then I felt reasonably bouncy when cooling down afterwards, so I might discard some of the scathing write-up I was planning in the 'say whether you enjoyed the session or not' bit of my training diary.

• Options

Good session Lit - I bet that training diary has some interesting entries in it!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, he said he wanted to know whether we liked the sessions or not! Sadly I don't think this has any bearing on whether we have to do them again. I announced today that I would be writing a detailed account of how much I didn't like this one so he is already looking forward to it.

• Options

Transport For London?

• Options

Tibetan as a Foreign Language?

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Charlie I wasn't 100% sure on the spelling and I really couldn't be bothered to look it up. But just for you its tensor fascia lata image

McF that's the spot - to confirm here's a pic https://correrengetafe.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tensor-fascia-lata.jpg

If you haven't got a spikey ball, you can lie on your side and get Lou to press as hard as he can and hold for 30 seconds or so. Repeat a couple of times. You'll need to lie in such a way that the muscle is relaxed beforehand.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Anyone around?

Good luck tomorrow, Charlie.

20 today at MP plus 30, which is 7.22 according to schedule. Came in quite nicely with no drop off in pace in last few miles.
  • Options

Thanks DT. Had a drive around the route today - not much flatness. But I'm feeling pretty good so we'll see.

Another amazing training run there. Aren't you pretty much finished for the day after these things?

Ta Mr V. What I need is a big poster pointing out where all these things are. But maybe it's best not to have to know,

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Good luck for tomorrow, Charlie!  

Nice run, DT.  

My gadget is different to DT's gadget.  It is battery powered and more like a TENS machine.  But it's tiny and you wear it all the time for a few days.  Seems ok anyway.  Went on the turbo trainer today which was not that much fun.  But I did an hour.  I sort of feel like my hip feels ok until I go to stretch it whereupon it hurts a bit.  So wondering whether to try a run in the next couple of days.  Mr V - I've been doing a lot of prodding and poking around there and some stretches.

In cooking news I spent the evening making pizza and brownies.  In case you wanted to know adding chorizo, fennel seeds, chilli, parmesan and an egg to a pizza is the most amazing thing in the world.  Similarly the addition of kirsch soaked cherries and walnuts into a brownie are a beautiful thing.  You're all welcome.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Charlie, given it's based from the school I assume it'll take in some of the 10k route, and that's pretty undulating.

I feel probably better today than I did yesterday.

Mcf , isn't the advice often not to stretch as if there is muscle damage, it's knitting back together and in stretching you just undo it?
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I thought gentle stretching was advised as it stops the area from getting tight and helps the muscle fibres to grow in the correct direction rather than a tangled mess of scar tissue?  

Anyway, tried a test run.  Felt great for the first half a mile.  Then it felt a bit stiff.  then at a mile I thought I'd stop and stretch it.  Then it felt sore so I stopped and waked home.  Will give it a couple more days and get back on the turbo later.

Hope Charlie's race went ok?   

• Options

Whenever I've had a problem I've always been advised to stretch it.

Twenty miler yesterday.  Another thing that the physio advised was to do a few exercises, squats, clamshells, bridges etc to activate my glutes before runs.  Tried that yesterday.  Run was fine and my ankle felt ok if a little stiff again afterwards, but my glutes and hamstrings felt like they worked hard afterwards.  Could just be my imagination, or maybe they were were working an not used to it.  

• Options
    Walking lunges too Lou. As a fellow fellow with lazy glutes I find if hamstrings are sore after a run it's a sign that they've been absorbing some of the work of the glutes.

Sorry to hear that injury has struck McFlooze. Fingers crossed it resolves itself.

My week has been a bit of a washout as I developed swollen glands and ear nose and throat issues after Tuesday's run. Yesterday I got my kit on but couldn't really face running as I felt like I had a head like Frank Sidebottom. Today was better so I ground out a long run which was tough going after 7 miles. Last week's mileage was 17 miles; this week 26 miles, so slowly getting back to normal.

DT - Another great long run image

A belated good luck to Tommy and Charlie who must surely have finished their respective halves by now. Is Newton's Fraction a pub btw?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did a race too! When I entered the Smokies Ladies Only 10 Mile I thought I would probably win, but that was before I injured my foot and spent 5 weeks not running and then a month only running a little bit. So I was pleased enough to come second and feel relatively comfortable and only a little bit slow compared to last year's 10 mile time. 63:xx I think, compared to 62:39. Also there were some quite nasty hills. But the views over the Tay estuary were gorgeous and the weather was beautiful: blazing sunshine and only a little bit of snow.

Anyway. Clearly I only did it to improve my lead on Muddy in the gold league medals competition. Skinny, could you put me down for one individual prize (second lady) and one team prize (we were given third but think we were second really except Hilary forgot to put her club on her entry but she had contacted them and they promised it was sorted. So we were robbed).

• Options
    Well done Lit that's a very decent pace after everything you've been through. My 10 mile pace is around 7 min/mile at the moment so keep up the pot hunting - I might be fit (but by no means guaranteed a pot) in about 6 months.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks! Yeah, I feel like some of my endurance is still there even though I wasn't training much all autumn even before the injury. So it's just the speed that's missing (noticeable when we did that 1k/4*400m session the other week too - 400s all slow but 1ks got faster), and that's not so important for the marathon anyway.

• Options

Well done Lit! Comfortable and 2nd place - can't be bad.

I did the Droitwich HM. It's on a new route that was billed by the club as "challenging". The overall gradient isn't overly impressive but there were no flat sections anywhere. Just up and down through tiny country lanes which was pretty boring. After a fast first couple of miles (6.14, 6.20) I settled in with the three guys I was to spend the rest of the race with. Field was only 230 so I was glad of the company. The next four miles went by OK too, despite undulation picking up (6.31, 6.40, 6.31, 6.36) but then the undulation got a bit more real and my pace suffered (7:00, 6:29, 6:55). This was a figure of eight built around a hill called Jacob's Ladder, which happens to be one of my favourite films. A classic of 90s edginess, it stars Tim Robbins as a depressed Vietnam vet trying to get to the bottom of some shitty hallucinations he's been getting. But really it's about the imagery (Prodigy videos owe a lot to the Francis Bacon inspired direction of Adrian Lyne, previously best known for Flashdance). I felt pretty beat up coming out of the Ladder, but I could see that my three trail mates were similarly subdued and there was no charge coming from behind. The route was still up and down and keeping up was a struggle, but there were a couple of moments where I felt some energy and they kept me going in the hope for more. (6.43, 6.44, 6.56). The race ended on a tartan track, around which you had to run 1.5 times. A 6.32 13th mile led me into it and inevitably, rounding the bend into the finishing straight, I found I had way more left in hidden reserves and pulled out some 4:21 pace to turn in 5:51 for the scraps. I finished with 1:27:25 for 21st place.

Looking at some of the folks around me I reckon this was a good result. 45s off my PB, which was a big race on a much flatter course. Next HM is Worcester (also undulating but not so much) so I'll be going for it there. 

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Wow, looks like you've not lost much at all, Lit. Congrats on the 2nd. Nice confidence boost too, I bet.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Lit. Pleasing to see you are still up there.

Nice work on the long run, Muddy.

I've been told in the past, certainly for the first few days or week (dependent on extent) to just leave stretching well alone. No idea if that is best advice, however when it comes to the Human body there are a number of "right' approaches.

Rest day today even though I feel fine after yesterday.
  • Options

Well done Lit and Charlie on the pbs and prizes.

Sounds like a tough day out Charlie, though it look like you had a  bit left for the fast finish. Maybe the undulations hadn't worn you down as much as you thought.

Never seen Jacob's Ladder though I remember it was a 'must see' movie when I was of an age when I would watch 'must see' movies.  It's not on Netflix or Lovefilm, so it will have to remain unseen for the time being.

• Options

Fine effort Charlie. A chap that ran under 81 at Birmingham (beating me in the process) was about a minute ahead of you, so you were in decent company. 

I omitted to mention Lou's  20 miler which is amazing so soon after that Coventry run -I picked you and Skinny as my one's to watch and you both seem to be going really well.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    X post, Charlie....good effort. I've seen a lit I talk on facebook about how brutal the course was. Looking at connect data it looks like you were consistently either going up a big hill or down one. The odd thing I your watch recorded about 450 foot of climbing, which is pretty much same as Coventry. If that were right, is there a way the same amount of climb in two different races could have two outcomes.

Coventry, you knew that once you got to 8 miles you had a pretty straight 5 mile downhill so you work to a capacity for 8 then let rip. If the climbing is spread out over whole race you don't get that way of approaching it??