Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

DT - " enjoyed 20 @ 7:06 " ..... there you go then !! As Lit says, you've been training around 3hr pace so how can you not go for it. It's not like your eyes will be massively big for your belly so there won't be any death marching if you're a bit short of 3 hours on the day.

Lou - seems to me like you'll be in 3 hour shape too, exorcise your Brighton demons image

Lit - damn you, i'm thinking about 2:59 now image

Tommy - i can't cope with too many options image although i'd be happy to do that if there was any sort of chance of us meeting up on the course !!!

Madbee wrote (see)

I would gladly hold hands with everyone round London, but you'd have to all run about 3:12 for me to be in with even an outside chance of hanging on.

* Puts hand up image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Run with meeeeeeee, mace!

I did hill reps yesterday. Everyone took the piss out of my bouncy style.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Madbee wrote (see)

I would gladly hold hands with everyone round London, but you'd have to all run about 3:12 for me to be in with even an outside chance of hanging on.

I'd be delighted with 3:12.

Mace, if I see you on the course, you can attempt to drag me round to a sub 3:10!

Track session for me last night, a sort of pyramid session (2 mins, 3 mins, 4 mins, 4 mins, 3 mins, 2 mins) off 50% recoveries. Pace for the efforts came out between 5:45 and 6 mn/mile pace. Rest day today image.   

• Options

Wow - that's a fast session Tommy.

Mace  - i think I remember  we all tried to persuade should go for sub three a couple of years ago in Brighton, but you sensibly went for the GFA.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Meh.  My effort was considerably more because I'd not run in the preceding 10 days and was a bit injured.  So you're certainly capable of the time you want.  It's up to you.

DT - how come you're starting to taper 5 weeks out?  I thought usual form was longest run three weeks out?  You're in sub-3 shape too.  

Tommy - you're probs also sandbagging.  As are you, Madbee.  And you Lit.  And you, Mace.  Sandbaggers.  

My pace strategy will probably be a bit like last time - I shall pick up two pace bands at the expo and aim to come out somewhere in between.  

12 miles with the buggy this afternoon - blooming hard work coming home into the wind up the hill.  Meant to be doing intervals tomorrow but will see how everything feels.  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, come to think of it that does sound like an early taper considering some of us have barely started training yet... I'm not sandbagging, McF! I said I thought I could run sub 3 even though I am slower than DT & Lou at the moment. I think that is reasonablly optimistic of me.

Well done for the buggy MLR, sounds character building. And good session, Tommy!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I think DT is referring to his 'mini-taper' for the Cardiff half rather than full taper for London.

McF - no sandbagging here! I think that's perfectly reasonable target, based on the 2xHM plus 20 mins rule of thumb...

Lou / lit - thanks. I managed to stick with one of the faster lads for each of the reps which helped (mainly as he took the brunt of the wind in the back straight).   

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Ah, ok!  Taper away then!  

Tommy - I'd say 2xHM plus 20 minutes is for people who haven't trained very well or go off stupidly fast or are injured etc.  You'll bagsy a much better conversion than that I reckon. Think mine was 2x +12 last year.

Lit - ok, I'll let you off then but I won't fall off my chair if there is a surprise display of brilliance.  You'll need to find a difference sleb to cross the line with this year then if you're going to be too slow for Jensen.   

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Whatever McF.  We all know you're the one that's really capable of sub 3:10image

literatin wrote (see)

Run with meeeeeeee, mace!

I did hill reps yesterday. Everyone took the piss out of my bouncy style.

Don't trust Lit, mace, she was going to trip you up last year if I remember?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I wasn't! I was going to break both his legs.

I agree with McF re. 2x HM + 20. It's for people who haven't done enough training, which is most people, so a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

image yep, double leg break it was !! Fortunately for me Lit was preoccupied with finding water at the finish to bother hunting down a 16lb sledgehammer !!

Lou - both Brighton Marathons i just missed my target so haven't bottled one yet image

Tommy - i don't think you'll need any dragging going by your half time and those reps

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm tapering for Cardiff half. I'm essentially doing one weeks schedule over two weeks with some easy runs. The problem is that I started my schedule early to account for weather, down weeks or injury, none of which have been needed. Therefore with six weeks to go I only have four weeks of my schedule left, two of which are taper.

When I did London in 2014 my conversion was 2 x hm plus 15 and I felt I had a bad day. Id expect x2 plus 10-12.
  • Options

I'm not convinced by the logic of starting a schedule early unless you're starting from zero mileage, or maybe if you have a holiday booked or something when you know you won't run. Otherwise the difference it makes is so marginal - hardly seems worth the bother.

I repeated the 5*1000m last night as I found is so hard last time that I thought I'd be better of redoing it than progressing to 1200m.  It was just as tough this time and with a bit of a breeze for the first 500m of each rep.  With a 5k pace target of 3.38/km they came out at 3:36, 3:38, 3:42, 3:33 & 3:41.  I thought I was struggling in the dark - rep four felt particularly tough, but they don't look too bad.

I can't remember my exact HM time prior to Brighton, I think approximately 1:29 which gives a conversion of 2xhm+33.  

I put myself in the undertrained category.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'd be concerned about the risk of peaking too early, whereas I'd have no problem just missing a week if needed and slotting back in later in the schedule.

Those are excellent and very consistent reps, Lou, apart from the one that felt tough because you were going really fast. image

My conversions have been approx (1) 2xHM + 9, (2) 2xHM + 6, (3) 2xHM + 9. I'd done loads of training though, which I haven't this time. On the other hand, I now have more lifetime miles and am probably healthier (in vitamin & mineral levels) than last time. So I am thinking I'll just see how fast I run at Alloa and then use +6 to +9 as a good guideline for how fast to run at London.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good session, Lou. No wonder that one felt tough.

That's a pretty sharp conversion, Lit!

My plan was to have three weeks on then a rest week in the absence of enforced rest, but it never quite worked like that in the end, leaving me a spare week. I'll just repeat a medium week from the schedule. I'm due a recovery week this week anyway as I've done 4 straight weeks with a half and 3 x 20 milers. I'm just spitting over two weeks as from experience, whenever I've cut back for a week I come back feeling like I've lost momentum and seem to suffer with doms etc.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

So, based on the conversions above (ignoring the two outliers (2 * HM +6 and + 33)) and based on my recent HM time of 1:28:35 that gives me a range of predicted marathon times from 3:06 (+9) to 3:12 (+15). At the start of marathon training I'd have been very happy with a sub 3:15, now I think 3:09 to 3:12 is probably a realistic and hopefully achievable target (although the former may require mace's assistance image).

McMillan calculates 3:06 but I think that's out of reach for me at the moment. Daniels predicts 3:04 which certainly is.     

• Options

I almost packed up after the 4th but that explains it.  It's had to see pace on the Garmin the dark.

Sounds reasonable Tommy.  Daniels predicts about 2:55 for me which seems far too optimistic.  Though I've just checked back and the P&D plan only has 4*20 milers rather than the requisite 5, so I'm doomed whatever. image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - you are clearly not running your HM's hard enough image

2xHM + 13 is all i have to offer

I have no plans to run a HM before London though so will rely on the trusty HRM to tell me what sort of shape i'm in.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I have only done 1 20 miler. image
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    My London conversion last year was HM x 2 - 5 image

But that's cos my HM was very old at the time!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

In that case, my all-time conversion is (HM x 2) + 3 image

Aiming for 22 on Saturday which will give me a 75M week. I fancy another 3 weeks of around that and then a 2 week taper. I'd feel a bit of a fraud taking a 3wk taper.

literatin wrote (see)
    I have only done 1 20 miler. image

I get a feeling it won't matter to you and you'll just bounce round anyway.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I've only done 2x20's, Lit, so you're not really that behind.  Missed one with my hip issue. Maybe 3 in the 16-18 mile range.  There are still a good few weeks to go.  I'm doing another tomorrow morning.  20 with 14 @MP the following week, then poss a 22 and then it's time to taper!  I may do an 18 (rather than the prescribed 16) with two weeks to go to make up for the missing 20.  

Impressive mileage, Mace!  

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Enjoying the marathon talk. Every year I wish I was doing London when I hear everyone talking about their prep. Not enough to actually do the training mind! Very impressed with some of the conversions. I think a few on here have a strong endurance bias!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Mr V wrote (see)

I think a few on here have a strong endurance bias!

Do you mean 'some of us are crap at speed' Mr V? image Though actually I think the HM x 2 + 9 is pretty much a McMillan conversion. Just a pity I can't make that happen for shorter distances.

McF - I'll probably do a 22 in a couple of weeks, but not sure how much else I'll fit in. I've managed a 17.5 and an 18. My instructions are to stick between 60 and 70 miles for a few weeks, and will probably have a short taper.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little more ahead in the ling runs with 5 x 20 and 1 x 22.

I will do another 22 at start of April. I think I've done 3 x 18 as well.

I doubt I'll fair any better for it.

Good to see the big mileage back, Mace. Are you still doing any x training?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I have done 2 x 20 with one to come on Sunday. Planning on another 20 (or maybe 22) at the beginning of April and then I will begin to taper. I've done a couple of 18 as well. The big thing I'm lacking is mid week long runs, think the furthest I've gone is 12 miles. Will try and slot a couple of 14's in over the next couple of weeks I think.

Just found out that I've been given a long leg at the Midland 12 stage relays alongside 3 very fast club mates. My aim is to not be the slowest long leg runner (in the whole competition, I certainly will be from the club).

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Long runs - in the last 11 weeks i've done 4x20, 1x19, 2x18, 1x17, 1x16. Problem is, some of them were fricking hard as my weekly mileage was shite. I've had a relatively big jump in mileage this week and it's been creeping up the last month so it'll be interesting to see how tomorrow goes. You'd expect it to be difficult but i'm definitely feeling fitter now so i'm hoping for a image. And i'm feeling slightly less chubby !!

Lit - a short taper is my plan too

DT - my XT has consisted mostly of pouring pints of Guiness down my throat image I haven't done a spin session for over 6 months and my core work is virtually zero.

Good weekend all image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

There you go. Mace has done loads more training than me. Sandbagger!!!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

But i'm old and need to do loads more than you to keep up image

I mean, could i do a 63:xx 10miler at the moment ? Like fcukety could i !!