Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ha, he beat me by a few minutes in 2014.

I have been using my breathing device last 3-4 weeks. I think it was the reason for the 5 seconds I finished ahead of Charlie yesterday. Could be worth a minute in London.

I m keen to see Lous report to establish how I went. It has put me off trying to go sub 3 as Lou is clearly in better shape than I am. Looking on connect there was no real drop off in pace in last quarter. I heard the baggage situation was carnage?

Excellent taper plans, Tommy. I will be parkrunning Saturday with genuine hope if a small pb.
  • Options

Okay that was my time window so updated based on what you've all said - perhaps I'm missing something from Madbee who has certainly been running really well.

So Lit and Pete are older.

Tommy and McF - oh fuck I've missed out the updates to Tommy - see revised silver table below - getting faster at HM - Tommy by 1 and a half minutes and McF by 1 second.

Tommy also got a bit fatter and Madbee got a bit slimmer.

Finally Lou ran what I'm sure he will always tell everyone was a 3 hour marathon unless he runs a faster one next year at Londonimage which also pinched the silver cell (temporarily at least) off DT.

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_368.PNG

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Re. CJ, my teammate finished 17 seconds ahead of him last year and has a comedy race photo of her overtaking him, in the same race where I beat Jensen (and have comedy photo, etc.). It's as though small Fife ladies have a policy of marathon-photobombing celebrities.

I think Madbee has won loads of stuff recently or something.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

NP - will look out for you image

Well done Lou on a huge pb imageMy clubmate was on for sub 3 until 22 miles and then he bombed to a 3:05 which was pretty much a repeat of what he did last year. He rarely does over 50 miles a week though and does his long runs quite fast.

Are we all allowed to use Lou's 3:00:xx as an excuse to not go for it ?

I was going to do 16 yesterday but it felt like i'd been given a dead leg ( the hurty knee one ) for the first 8, felt ok for the next 5 then started to feel like 14 would be enough and called it a day. I walked downstairs this morning like it was a 24 so not sure what's going on there .... mwahahahaaaarrrghghhhhhhhh image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I have also gained an individual prize and lost another 3 pounds, Skinny - so 3 individual prizes and 7 stone 12 (which is odd and not helping) image

Mace... definitely.  You know you want to be on the 3.10 trainimage Hope the legs improve though.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Oh, and I'm 31 as well.  Sorry.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Lou - Impressive stuff, really well done. Looking forward to the long read.

Skinny I really think you need to consider promoting Lou to the gold cells and relegating yourself image

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)
    Ha, he beat me by a few minutes in 2014.

I have been using my breathing device last 3-4 weeks. I think it was the reason for the 5 seconds I finished ahead of Charlie yesterday. Could be worth a minute in London.

I m keen to see Lous report to establish how I went. It has put me off trying to go sub 3 as Lou is clearly in better shape than I am. Looking on connect there was no real drop off in pace in last quarter. I heard the baggage situation was carnage?

Excellent taper plans, Tommy. I will be parkrunning Saturday with genuine hope if a small pb.

Some curious maths there DT, surely if it was worth 5 seconds over 10k then it would be worth ~20 seconds over 42k or are the benefits non linear?

Baggage drop sounds like absolute bedlam.  

Mace - I agree with Madbee, you should definitely lead the Overdone It? 3:10 train...Having said that, after seeing my club mates not hit that (by quite some distance) I'm thinking of revising my target time!

• Options

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_369.PNG

Madbee's birthday, prize and her plan to be able to float round the marathon tied to a couple of balloons.

Mr V - I'm sure you are right however there is a simple rule that determines your overall league position which is your 10k PB - Lou needs to run a 10k faster than 38:01 and he's promoted - I have been waiting for someone to do this and relegate me for a while!imageimageimage

• Options
    DT19 wrote (see)

wtf????????????????

Is that what it says on the blurb DT?

'Use this breathing device for 3 - 4 weeks and you could knock up to 5 seconds off your 10k time. Note that the benefits of this product are significantly enhanced in smog filled cities and over the marathon distance.'

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Well bugger.  That is me in the bronze league for evermore image 

Unless I get a breathing thingy and magically transform my 10K ability.

• Options

Fantastic effort Lou.image

Re: breathing things, I was reading about something similar to this recently with respect to Japanese sponge divers that exert themselves underwater for at least a couple of minutes at a time. Researchers expected them to be blessed with supreme cardiovascular systems but in fact they turned out to be pretty ordinary. 

So in a roundabout way I am trying to let DT down gently about the waste of money on his restricted breathing apparatus, unless he is thinking of going sponge diving.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    DT19 wrote (see)

wtf????????????????

Is that what it says on the blurb DT?

'Use this breathing device for 3 - 4 weeks and you could knock up to 5 seconds off your 10k time. Note that the benefits of this product are significantly enhanced in smog filled cities and over the marathon distance.'

Madbee - That 10k time has so much slack in it compared to your current ability it's ridiculous! Get that breathing device ordered and I'm sure you'll knock about 3 minutes off that time.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Its surely going to have a compound benefit so if its say 1 second per mile in a 10k it might only be 0.7 in a 5k. Though....maybe it hoes the other way the shorter the distance as the breathing is harder.

Let's all be a bit more positive as I paid ??37 for it and spend 5 minutes a day training with it.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Training yourself to...breathe??

Tommy, yes, but I hate 10Ks and don't want to do one image *sulks*

• Options

I'm possibly going to regret this, but what do you do during those 5 minutes DT?

(any Inbetweeners fans out there I'm thinking Jay in one of the opening sequences to the first movie)

Surely you're faster now because you've lost all that excess blubber and you've stopped overtraining so the cross training now fits into a more sensible overall weekly schedule rather than being on top of a full week of running too so your body can cope - not because you're wanking off in the bog with a £37 plastic bag on your head? 

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

HAHAHAHA " it's just holidays, i'm looking at holidays !!!! "

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I sit up straight and purse my lips around the device and bite lightly on the mouth.piece and begin the process. It's 30 breaths in and out twice a day.

I'm upto level 5 now of 10 so excellent progress.

Yes but I've never beaten Charlie before even since I changed my training and weight loss. Come on.....it's the only other variant!
  • Options

My goodness - this discussion has developed in an unexpected direction.

• Options

image - '...and begin the process.'image

I've heard it called Bashing the Bishop but never Beating the Charlie.image

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

imageimageimageimage

It's so good to have you back, Skinny!

• Options

Congrats Lou - the perfect time. You ran a 3 hour marathon PLUS you leave yourself something to look forward to next time!

So "beating the Charlie" is a thing now, so to speak? For the record, Muddy and Lou are also on the record as Charlie beaters. 

• Options

Rob Lowe too.

Oh, you mean running races image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I want to post something witty but I am too horrified by the mental images the last couple of pages of posts have produced. image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay guys, so I know I said I was going to run sub 3 hours etc. but I've been really tired again for the last 10 days and just had to bail out of a session of 400s because I was just jogging round in 90 secs and couldn't make my legs go any faster, plus a weird urge to fall asleep on the track. I think I might still be a bit anaemic. So I'm hoping things will improve a bit in the next couple of weeks!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, that isn't good, Lit.

I had a touch of taper madness this morning, having convinced myself I had a cough coming in. It seems to have gone now....phew.

5 x 1k at 5k pace lunch which was reasonably pleasant compared to the usual break neck interval paces I do.

Final big mp run tomorrow night. Conditions are forecast to be good for a change so this will hopefully help me make a decision.

Work have told me not to bother booking holiday the day after London and to just come in for a few hours from mid morning, which is nice.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Huh, that's not fair. Some of us have to be at work the next day at 8:30am. In Scotland.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well the amount of press coverage my firm have had in last week from me doing this, something I didn't need to do, they are up on the deal.
  • Options

What sort of press coverage DT? Are you running for charity? Or are you just getting hounded by paps now that you have beaten me in a race?

Sorry to hear about your fatigue, Lit. Although I would hardly call 6 minute mile pace "jogging".