Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image 7th place and first FV40 was also interesting.

• Options

tried the stretching which does help with the symtoms but not the problem. I have come to a conclusion my sciatic nerve goes through my muscle and not much i can do - except suck it up!

On another note got my hair cut this lunchtime instead of a run and the barber did a flame thrower act on my ears. anyone had that before ? It was new to me. (I presume it get rid of ear hair) 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Oh, and it was pretty lively for some of the supporters too....

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/watch-car-crashes-full-speed-comrades-marathon

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)

image 7th place and first FV40 was also interesting.

Oh yeah! Blimey. Cool man. Wonder if she still runs bare foot. Wonder if she's still a cheat! image

• Options

15West: stopped listening to music a while ago on runs, but lots of people seem to recommend marathon talk, so might have to give it a go soon

Wenturtle: I have never heard of this flame thrower act before? Were you in some dodgy back alley hair dressers or something?image

• Options

I was getting concerned myself when he lit up the flame thrower! and started waving it at my ears! might stick to the running at lunchtimes. Should be easier now i have less hair in my ears!

Good job i did not go for a back sack and crack! image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Car crash video, Dr Dan. 

Of the half dozen sat on the barrier at the bottom of the shot, the black guy with the light blue top should be considered for South Africa's 60m sprint team!

• Options
    Wenturtle wrote (see)

On another note got my hair cut this lunchtime instead of a run and the barber did a flame thrower act on my ears. anyone had that before ? It was new to me. (I presume it get rid of ear hair) 

Just wait till the nasal hair takes hold - Flame grilled nostrils! 

Scott - Another recommendation for MT from me.  When you get to the long ish mid week run and a long weekend run in the program, you'll be looking for another episode to keep you going.   

• Options

Yeah been looking at the schedule earlier and definitely going to need something to get me through the week with a 22mile long run and a 15mile midweek run, so that should certainly help image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Wenturtle wrote (see)

Good job i did not go for a back sack and crack! image

Yup.  Quite enough issues with people's arses being on fire in this thread without your barber joining in.

Scott, another thumbs up for MT - I'm a bit frustrated at the moment that I only ever have long enough runs to listen to half an episode, but it won't be long before I'm scrabbling around looking for extra ones!

Edit:  Warning on MT though - be careful where you run and which session you do when listening.  Many a time I have looked completely barmy laughing my head off and attempting to do V02s on a heavily dog-walker-populated stretch of path!  It ends in peculiar looks and slow reps!

• Options
    Another MT thumbs up from me too. Some top guest and really insightful interviews. TalkUltra (their Sister podcast) is also pretty good, and are often 2hr+ in duration to get you through the long runs.
  • Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Wenty, no I haven't received anything. ?? 

I just tried to send you a pm, but it says that you're not set up to receive them.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Did you get my PM Wenty????

Guys, What is this MT thing that you all do - Can I get it on my sony Walkman??

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Tony's Trials last week at EMF was particularly funny I thought.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Mennania, I'll do you a copy in my tape deck. Think I've got a couple of spare D90s lying around.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Carry a gramophone round, it's great training running with some extra weight image

Mennania wrote (see)

Did you get my PM Wenty????

Guys, What is this MT thing that you all do - Can I get it on my sony Walkman??

15West wrote (see)

Tony's Trials last week at EMF was particularly funny I thought.

I thought that was really funny too, especially as I knew all the bits he was describing! Some major excuses going on from people talking about Edinburgh though - there was a bit of a breeze, but it definitely wasn't windy compared to some of the things we trained in!

Boy on the Run always kills me too - especially his things about the vegan barefoot runner etc.

• Options

Andrews - RW tells me that you dont accept PMs. I have received PMs from other members. Have you? All a bit weird

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Maybe RW sensed that your approach to following a plan was totally incompatible Wenty and andrews, and tried to make sure you wouldn't argue over PM image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Weird. Wenty, my email address is mrstevenandrews at gmail dot com.

Not feeling like running today. I've just arrived home from nights and back on later. 

Nice weather though.

• Options

andrews - stick to the plan!!!!!!! will email unless gmail conspires against me as well.

I think madbee could be on to something there.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nice cool temperatures here today for running. Listened to this week's marathon talk this lunchtime, now I want to run comrades. BT - that must be on your list, surely shirley?

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

15w - go and lurk on sub 3.15 thread - Poacher has pit his race report of Comrades up this morning.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just read it. Would love to give it a go...unlikely though.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Ive been reading the book and like it a lot. Im actaully going with what a coach set out for me for Abingdon in october but a lot of his stuff seems similar in spirit to P&D. So i'll be lurking here.

Good luck with your programmes everyone.

• Options

managed 5 miles again today and felt a bit easier and even the knee is loosening up a bit!

comrades marathon is 56 miles image I think I will pass on that!!!!

• Options

Good afternoon all,

Good to see that this thread is fairly active, I'm doing the New York marathon in November and plan to follow the 18 week 55/70 plan. I followed this for my last marathon Chicago 3:08 and got an improvement of 14mins.
    yes the first few weeks are pretty tough but I suspect lots of people hit the training plan with not enough base mileage.

Just need to up the pace and bit and hopefully get sub 3:05!

My training doesn't start for a few weeks yet so just getting in a few base miles at the moment and heading the Welsh Castles relay this weekend.

Good luck all.

• Options

Its not fair Debutant I wanted to do the NYC marathon! Did you get a charity place and book with international tours?

• Options

I didn't I bought a place through a tour operator package, always wanted to do NY. So here goes! Not the easiest of courses if you are chasing a time though! Hopefully the crowds will pull me through.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Hi Debutant. I was thinking of applying for a GFA for NY but the costs put me off. So opted for boring old york instead!

Nice weather here, going to be stormy tomorrow morning on my longish run though. I might get struck by lightening which will give me super powers.

• Options

of course Westy you sneaked into the very tough GFa for NYC - but  yes entry cost is a bit daft - but nothing compared to flights hotels and spending money. Go on chance of a lifetime.

I want to do it as my retirement marathon