Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Madbee, I moved from Brooks Pure Cadence to Kinvaras about 6 months ago. The Brooks have more cushioning, so it may be more what you're looking for. I really liked them, but fancied trying the Kinvaras and haven't looked back.

LT. The extra mile will be one of about 5-7 that I'll be adding to get my average mileage up to over 60 (from 55). It's a planned deviation based on training over the last 6 months - I'm adding a bit more GA mileage and some more MP on my long runs to give me a better shot at sub 3. Good to see that you're on Renegade Watch though!

Maccatheknacca - cheers - you've only got two weeks to wait! And cheers for the 'shift enter' tip, my day has been productive already image

• Options

what sort of mileage base to people think you should be at before starting P&D (based on the fact I have done the mileage before). I want to slack off for as long as possible and wondered when i had to start flogging the streets and beating myself up again.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Wenty, I very easily went from an average of 25 to my first bash at 18/55.  I did build up the week beforehand and I took a couple of extra weeks on the programme so I could have a couple of step back weeks above what the plan suggests, but be careful if you're injury prone...  Touch wood, I haven't really had any proper injury problems, so the jump in mileage wasn't a problem - it depends on you though and your general activity level I think.

Cheers Fergster, I'll have a look at the Brooks.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Wenty - really for 55-70 plan you should be running at least 45-50mi per week for at least two or three weeks; otherwise the sudden increase in mileage plus the addition of speedwork will make you a lot more vulnerable to injury. You should slowly build up from where you are now....but keep it all slowish.

Madbee - I wore racing trainers for London marathon this time; and they definitely felt lighter than my usual trainers so may have helped with my PB, but my legs and feet felt a lot more beat up than previously...and I was probably at a higher risk of injury due to less cushioning. So - it's a trade off. Not sure what I will wear for York in October.

I normally wear Brooks GTS Adrenalines; and I wore Adidas Adios Boosts for the marathon.

• Options

Shane: some good training there already

Fergster: thats a hard run to start the plan!

Whilst we are on the topic of shoes, how often do you guys replace your shoes? Mine must have done around 700/800 miles now so feel it is probably time for a new pair?

5miles recovery this morning.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Probably Shane. I tend to have a few pairs on rotation; and replace after about 500mi (although I never actually measure this). I often keep hold of them and use them for easy/recovery runs; or just keep wearing as my GTS's are so comfy!

• Options

There is only 20 weeks  to Venice eek!!!

so 18 week schedule is out of the window really in my current state and will adopt the 12 week slacker plan. so another 4 weeks off (10-15 mpw) then up to 30 -35mpw before P&D. for 3 weeks. 

I find racing shoes beat your legs up alot more, mainly calves / achilles. Used to use Brooks, but too heavy so use Adidas Adios 2 (racing beat your legs up) and mizuno waveriders (lightish but well cushioned) now.

• Options

Westy do you still use the Brooks GTS? They must feel like bricks on your feet after the adidas boosts.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, they are heavy, but a lot comfier.

• Options

Interesting as in the NYC marathon the adidas adios boost was the most worn shoe in the top 100 runners. (I dont think the Brooks GTS made the list!)

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I use the GTS for training where I want some cushioning to protect my legs a bit more; and I used the boosts for the race itself. Not sure I will again though. 

• Options

I bought some trail shoes yesterday - Addidas Kanadias (sounds a bit too much like a 'down there' infection to me!) 

First run in them last night and they felt good.  What surprised me the most was how wrong my perception of the brand was - I always had them down as a football boot or tracksuit maker, not a top end running shoe maker.  

I'll definitely try on a road shoe next time round.  

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Scott, I usually get around 400 miles out of my shoes. The second my left shin starts to niggle means it's time for a new pair.

ladyfunrun - image at your 'down there' lady garden troubles.

• Options
    Fergster wrote (see)

Hmm I'm not sure LFR was saying she has "Lady garden" troubles.......

I generally use my running shoes till they fall apart, hurt or i find a cheap pair on ebay!

• Options

anyone any suggestions for a pair of feather light shoes with lots of cushioning  - but no jokes like these

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBMrHaFzZmFnF2ZFRFn4darMlDTjYIdvO_nJPuVLxg4pQ7dkoQXXW3S4Oa

• Options

although they do look comfy image

• Options

Fergster: I haven't had any niggles with my shoes but just feel its time for a new pair, they've got pretty high mileage. 

Wenturte: (nice change of name btw) those do look comfy!

• Options
    Wentoise wrote (see)
    Fergster wrote (see)

Hmm I'm not sure LFR was saying she has "Lady garden" troubles.......

Thanks Wenty! Ferg, I wasn't speaking personally!!! 

• Options
    Ladyfunrun i absolutely detest hill reps but they are the one workout that has slashed minutes of my race times and made me a stronger runner..im actually going to throw in the odd hills workout into my 18/55 training intermitently..

Madbee have you started the 18/55 yet? Wont be on after today for a week..a nice holiday on costa del sol with the wife and kids and some training too..Will try and keep tabs with everyone if i get free wi-fi..
  • Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

I may have interpreted this rather loosely image. Since when has this thread ever been a slave to the truth?! ... faked marathons, porky pie training paces, sandbagging race predictions etc etc.

Glad you got the all clear anyway image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Shane, me old Sausage, I’ve done Dublin and it is one of my faves! Might do it ‘for fun’ again this year if I can get me blummin hammy fixed.

Talking of which, I’ve been visiting the hyperbaric chamber and my physio is pleased with how the tear is progressing. She suggested I do a short, gentle jog which I did last night. Apparently it’s important to work the muscle while it’s repairing.  Leg felt OKish, but it’s still early days. 

I like the look of those racing slippers, Wenty. Might get myself a pair image  I have to stick with my heavyish Asic Kayanos for training and racing - anything else plays havoc with me bunions image. I have some Kanadias too, LFR. Thankfully my lady-garden is ok at the moment image I find the Kanadias pretty comfy, but not grippy enough for fells (I use Inov8 Mudclaws). 

I demote my shoes after about 350 miles – they stop being my ‘best’ shoes and get used for GA runs and eventually short/easy runs. I usually have a few pairs on the go at the same time and I’m pretty anal, cos I keep a log! image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

A vindaloo-strength garlic chilli chicken and a few beers last night set me up nicely for my 9 w/ 4 LT this morning. Two poos before I left and two since.image 

The run went ok, with the LT miles at 5:55, but I ran only 1.5mi into the wind, but 2.5mi downwind. Still, I needed a bit of an easy ride to make up for my sore tummy!

No more beer and curry from now on!

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Nice LT session there andrews148 (5.55 image) - you're braver than I would be after a vindaloo and beer session though. I learnt my lesson last year after a pepperoni pizza smothered in Levi Roots XXX hot sauce tried to make a speedy exit at mile 18/20. I made the bowl. Only just.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Andrews. Maybe you had a bit of jet propulsion out of your bottom.

• Options
    Fergster wrote (see)

I may have interpreted this rather loosely image. Since when has this thread ever been a slave to the truth?! ... faked marathons, porky pie training paces, sandbagging race predictions etc etc.

Glad you got the all clear anyway image

Not Sandbagging!!!! - Thats the ultimate crime !! speaking of which can you change my venice time to 3:30 again fergy. Just did 10miles at luchtime and it felt like murder. Really hating this running lark at present!
    Thinking about it just faking marathons would make more sense....... Hmmmm....

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Based on one run, when you haven't even started a training plan? I'd have to say a resolute 'No'. You know the rules - this thread runs like an organised crime syndicate - once you're in, you're never getting out.

EDIT: Like I have any say over what goes on around here... You can't manage the unmanageable.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Wentmeister, I refer you to this code of conduct... http://www.runnersworld.com/advice/should-you-run-today

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

That slightly disappointed me Fergster.  I was hoping it was just going to say YES, whatever you put into it image

Skipping over all the poo stuff....

1.  Great LT sessions andrews and Fergie

2.  Loving Wenturtle.  When does it change to Wentapin?  

3.  Shoes.  LFR - I am after some trail shoes but have hated every pair of adidas trainers that I have ever put on.  I'm wondering about Inov8s, as my neighbour knows someone that can do a dodgy deal on themimage As per first sentence with the idea of boosts - I'm sure they are not all the same but I've just never had a good experience with them.  I have really weird feet so a bit fussy on space in the toe box etc...

4.  Sausageysteve, I did 18/55 last time round - I'm doing 12/55 this time, as Edinburgh marathon was only just over a week ago, so I'm doing the recovery cycle before going into 12/55 - it just seems to fit really nicely.  The other option was to bin a couple of weeks of meso 5 and go in at week 3 or 4 of 18/55 but I suspect that wouldn't be the sensible choice, much as I would probably prefer it.  I'm not a super-low mileage kinda gal so four short runs a week is making me miserable at the moment!

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

New season, new rules Madbee. Pace deviation and sandbagging will not be tolerated. Ahem image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Yes Sir Ferg-Sir! image