Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Off to get some bananas from shop - Fergster I was thinking that it might be lack of exercise too. Will do some serious stretches later and head up the hill for a test drive.

Andrews - Looking good already.

Wenty - Isnt anything you do doing a Wenty? But turning a recovery into intervals is pretty specialimage

• Options

I hate recovery runs, so boring! Andrews quality session especially after you hills (Or mountains they looked like)

I gave running a miss and went for a pub lunch today! image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nice running as always Andrews.

Wenty - you ever listen to music or podcasts, may help with the boring recovery runs?

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Wenty wins the prize for best session today. Lunchtime drinking...the choice of champions image

• Options

yeay - its the only prize i will win!!!

Westy, I normally uses sports mp3 headphones but the battery went flat on the 10m run yesterday and forgot to charge them up for todays run. It does help especially on the longer runs.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

sigh, plodding along 8.3km tapering, 4 to 5 miles tomorrow and that's it until Saturday morning.... Little nervous (translate that to mean s****ing myself). Whats 111km between friends image

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Booktrunk - I don't know how I would even begin to prepare myself for that - '56 k done, broke the back of it now, over half way, only 55 left........' imageimage

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Yeah, I just read 111k. And then I had to read it again and wonder 'but how, HOW?!'

The race write-up better be 4 times as long though image.

You've put in the work bookie, so try to settle your head over the next few days.

EDIT What's the link to the race?!

• Options

15W - Double go well. Hope you're right on the weather forecast.

Scott - Good start there, reckon your legs will be glad of a few easy miles after the last few runs!

Menn - How about treating yourself to a sport massage? Might clear the cramp?

Ferg - 13 miler go okay?

Andrews - cracking effort, even more so if it involved going up some of those hills!

BT - Hats off to you! Best of luck!!

9 miles with 4 @ LT planned.. My least favourite session, 3m WU, 4 LT & 2m WD. Splits were: 8:29, 8:13, 7:52, 6:46, 6:40, 6:40, 6:22, 8:08 & 8:12. Last two felt very comfy, hard to keep at that pace!

Happy with that 6:33 av, last time round first LT average was 6:52. 

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Just Running, nice progressive LT run there. Even nicer to get it finished!

I moved tomorrow's 6 mile recovery run to this evening. 22c was just too warm for 13 miles and my legs still aren't 100% after the weekend. Should be feeling good for go tomorrow. I usually do a bit of swapping around in the first 4-6 weeks of the plan, so it's par for the course. Hayfever is playing up big time as well - not on the actual run, but immediately afterwards when I'm back inside it feels like someone threw a bag of itching powder in my face image

It's a plan, not a prison sentence image

• Options

Indeed Ferg, 22c was indeed a tad warm this evening. I'm moving Friday's 9 to Thursday so I can enjoy a few ales at the pub... 22c good for outdoor drinking image

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Me and my lovely legs have just done 8 miles at 7.30mm. They whinged like a bugger all the way round but are grand now. It might be that all the stretching and foam rollering is part of the issue .image A little bit of internet research suggests that others have the same dark anti establishment thoughts.....

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

That's good news Menn. It's like a weird 'anti-fitness' tweaky pain thing, banished with exercise.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

http://www.ratracethewall.com/

Mennania: hehehe I love that only 55km to go now. HAHA cruel image

I'm not breaking it up as no idea of distance garmin would run out just over half way so turning off GPS, will have it set to Run/Walk and thats it  i'm running in 5 minute segments of run 4, walk 1, and not looking any further forward then that, no idea of my pace, just going to hope I don't run to fast.

Will be the first time ive ran blind since Ive ever ran.  Ive used iphone for first 2 weeks then used a Garmin each and every day since then... So seriously my first run with no clue of my pace or distance is this time. image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

It's like planning a trek across the world, so much to plan for. Looks ace though!

• Options

Think many here will appreciate this

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do

especially the line about Godzilla's penis image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Boob milk from a cyborg gets my vote. You know us well rachel!

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Very motivating reading all the good training going on and promising start to the plans. Well done Andrews, JR and Scott on the LT runs, early indicators of maybe better than expected marathon targets?

Good to see Menn and his legs back up and running, am sure all the foam rolling and stretching in the early weeks is invaluable.

Fergster not done any jiggling with the plan yet myself but am sure will do so before long. 6 rec last night and 8 with strides tonight all passed uneventfully.

BT 111,000 Metres, insane! Have you got the carb loading all planned image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I am constantly jiggling.

• Options

Nice pub lunch Wenty, good alternative to a run image

BT: cant wait to here your race report after Saturday

Nice runs Fergster, JR, Mennania and Milemarker

11 miles early doors this morning, almost bang on pace at an 8.33 average image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 4mi jog into work for me today. Legs feeling all achy and battered already.

Menn - glad to hear you're on the mend.

BT - the very best of luck to you! Looks like you may have pretty good condtions, nothing extreme.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

..except for the mileage of course.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

oh yes, except for the silly amount of running you're going to have to do...

• Options

image 111k image Makes me want another pub lunch!!!!

not sure if to do weights or run this lunchtime decisions, decisions.......

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Hmm. Yesterday's cunning plan of swapping my 13 miler to this evening 'because it will be cooler' has now spectacularly failed after BBC News decided to change their forecast for this evening from 16c to 24c.

On the upside, I feel quite well rested today, despite a rubbish night's sleep. Pfft.

• Options

Now you are sounding like me Fergy with feeble excuses.....

(says the person who ditched the run to throw some weights around)

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Rachelgen - image

Pilates for me tonight, with a four or 5 easy run home after.

It is silly warm out there today.

• Options

Oonly 8 posts today - this is crazy!!!! Is everyone working or something?????

Menn do you prefer sensible warmth?

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Here is a post just for you Wenty!

I struggle to keep up with threads sometimes but the current level of posting works quite well for me!

Other threads seem quiet as well so maybe it is just the summer lull.

Since Monday just a 4 miles recovery yesterday and then a club session tonight. Looks like we are doing 1K intervals so I will no doubt spend the night being burnt off by speedsters who do about 20 miles training a week!

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Oof. 13 miles done and dusted, complete with stomach cramps, threatening leg cramps, mild nausea and slight disorientation at the end. Obviously hadn't fuelled or hydrated enough. Toughest run of the year so far. Opted to walk twice to stave off the relentless sun, but I suspect that I just made the whole experience even worse.

A bad day at the office then, but one i'll chalk up to experience.

Hydrate more than you think you need to if you're going fast or long in that heat this evening image.