Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

image Yep nothing which mean's I'm probably going to weed the garden because it's a right mess. image

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Swim and run tomorrow and bike and run on Sunday. apart from that not a darn thing planned, yippie! Although like Cake that translates into catching up housework image But I'm looking forwards to catching up with the family.

I'm not trying the Outlaw full this year Cake but might bump into you somewhere along the lines and will try to remember to ask. I have got some breathing exercises from my Anti- Anxiety classes (not OW swim related) so I will give those a try before the next one. thanks for the idea image

Nice spinney bike in the sunshine this morning. Bike is still very much my favourite bit of tri which makes it even odder that it's what let me down at Outlaw full!

• Options

Ali that's basically what could show you used to do some crisis counselling and arty things with folks in my spare time. I would have the a go before you get in the water. Got a few trick's up my sleve so might know a method you havn't been shown but try it out before you get in the water.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

evening all

turbo this morning, but then I have been sneezing all day and rough throat image Shouldn't be hayfever as I have been taking an antihistamine every day, just hoping I am not coming down with another lurgy

man is coming to pick my bike up to service it (local guy, I think he does the bike mechanics on the side rather than as a main job) so should have it properly serviced before dambuster. But does mean that I won't be able to have the ride I had planned for Sunday. Although that does mean I could fit in an ow swim on Sunday instead

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Phew, pretty much done moving. Except sorting it out in the new flat as will go through stuff and try to get rid off as much as we can. Had help from our nice neighbour which made it go a lot quicker. Pretty much done with cleaning the other place, just the oven to do after the oven cleaner has done it's job during the night. Nowt else done today but my feet are aching. Planning to go out for a meal.

Also got my dentist in the morning and she started on the root canal treatment, not really sure if that bit is done but she needs to see me twice more to finish the job, I think I'm getting a crown as well (is that what you call it?). But it's a nightmare with getting an appointment,they're just so busy. I already had one booked for 25th but the other one is going to be on 15th July... I want this done and dusted!

• Options

Hi everyone, i've just signed up for my first open water triathlon. I have done 3 super sprint tri's in the past (one DNFimage) but all have been in the pool. 

I'm not sure about this open water swimming thing, been out and bought a wetsuit so i can start practising but has anyone got any tips.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Bodyglide or similar is your best friend to stop being rubbed raw around the neck and it helps getting in and out of the wetsuit.

• Options

Rule One: Don't swim on your own! That's it with rules. Take time to acclimatise before you head off into deep water. Get your head under the water, let some water in through the neck of your wettie. This sort of thing. Then it is simply about time in the water. 

Remember, if you are having any problems roll onto your back and float for a bit. The joy of the wettie is the added buoyancy! Enjoy it, pool will seem boring afterwards image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

evening all

well, yes I have yet another cold, feeling fed up and sorry for myself image

Diamond - do you know of an ow swimming venue near you? find a venue, go along, chat to people as you get your wetsuit on, say it is your first time and I am sure you will find folk that will let you tag along with them for the first lap or so, it can be a bit nerve racking at first, but that is just a mental thing. Or there might be a tri club that organises ow swim sessions. British Triathlon also do some ow training sessions. 

don't know where in the uk you are, I know some ow places in the east midlands, and others on here will know places around the uk, some places are nicer than others in terms of water quality, weeds in the water etc

• Options

Thanks everyone, I know of 2 OW swimming lakes, down Southampton way, both a bit of a trek from home (Somerset). But i do go down that way at least once a month so if i time it right for the swim sessions i can give them ago. Especially as one is where the triathlon i'm signed up for is being held. Alternatively i was recommended by a friend and the tri shop, that Weymouth is a good place to train in the sea. Thats only about 35 mins away so probably be worth a go. I spend a fair bit of time surfing and kayaking so i'm quite at home in or on the sea.

I don't belong to tri club, i keep thinking about it but i couldn't guarantee to be at many organised sessions so don't wanna waste anyones time. 

Thanks for all your help.

• Options

Diamond - if you're going to swim Weymouth way look up Bustinskin Tri - they are very friendly and happy to have visitors tag along.

That's pants MC. Hope you get over it quickly.

BS - hope you can get your knee sorted.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Bodyglide or similar is your best friend to stop being rubbed raw around the neck and it helps getting in and out of the wetsuit.

Baby oil works well as well. Bustinskin tri are a friendly bunch.

Stands for nation althom

Sorry for the distraction If you can get as much open water in as you can and pactice getting in and out of the wetsuit. Just in case make sure your nail's on your hands as a cut short as you can as they can rip a wetsuit.

Which tri are you doing?

• Options

LSR done.. Knee hurts image Ice applied! 

• Options

Hope it's ok today Mrs D.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Hey MrsD, I was doing a LSR at the same time. 9 miles. Not feeling too bad at the time but woke up early feeling dehydrated. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - hope that knee is ok, where does it hurt? Don't get injured now!!

still snotty but not as bad as yesterday so it is going to be a housework and marking day image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have done my marshalling at the TT, quite bizarre fun standing on a roundabout at 7 in the morning, keeping an eye on traffic and super fast cyclists.

Then went out with the club, did a flat 29 miles, by that it meant that the majority of the ride was flat apart from massive downhill at the start and climb up Box Hill at the end.

My average speed was 14.3mph until the bottom of the hill then it went down to 13.1 by the end of the ride.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done steady - must be knackering going for a ride after the marshalling!

• Options

Cake i am doing the HOWSC tri in september, it's only sprint distance but my first OW swim. I upgraded when they cancelled the duathlon i was booked in for, i thought it was the perfect excuse to take the plunge so to speak.

Hopefully it will be ok, i'm doing a novice with pool swim the weekend before.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, I came home had a shower then went to sleep for 2 hours. I do not mind one early start once in a while, but have had too many late nights and early starts recently.

• Options

Ended up doing the Keswick Triathlon today. We entered last week when we noticed places had come up due to people dropping out, but we didn't pay much attention to what the course was like. 800m swim, so nice way for me to ease into open water swimming, then a 21 mile bike (though I clocked it at 23.5 miles...) and a 10k "run".

The swim started alright for me, being my first proper try at open water. Got to the first buoy though and started to struggle. Think it was a combination of lack of OW experience, not pulling the arms up enough on the suit leaving me with limited flexibility making it harder work to swim, and not having lost enough weight to fit into it properly. Oh, and a complete lack of any sort of swimming over the past couple of weeks. Had to keep alternating between FC and breast stroke and was knackered when I got out of the water feeling like I really couldn't be bothered doing the rest of the race.

Then got to T1, took my timing chip off to get my wetsuit off and completely forgot to replace it (luckily had my Garmin and remembered to press lap at the right times). Got out on the bike and passed a few people heading out through the streets of Keswick, then hit the first climb and realised it was a big one (as we were camping at the top of it). Still, everyone else was struggling up so I just headed up slowly.Then some fast downhill, passed a few more people and started getting into it. Lovely course with some stunning views. Overtook quite a few people which really helped me get back into the right frame of mind.

Then got to the run, which turned out to be a hike up a 325m hill followed by a stumble back down the other side. Proper Type 2 fun (horrible at the time, but already looking forward to another go at it next year)

• Options

3 hours 41 minutes for the lot

• Options

Glad you're feeling a little better today Maths image

Steady - sounds like you need a lovely holiday! image Well done for your stamina today.

Well done DB imageimageimage You should be most proud! 

Knee is sore but ok. Pootled out on the bike for 30mins as a tester. Supposed to do long bike today but will now be tomorrow! Will continue to ice, roller and pop ibuprofen. Shattered today after finishing nights yesterday morning and doing my long run. Didn't get to sleep till after 3am and didn't wake till 12 image Missed Cotswold 113 - gutted! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

DB - well done. I have made that mistake with a wetsuit before - not pulling it up enough round the shoulders and you just feel like you are fighting all the time

MrsD - make sure you get enough rest, both in terms of sleep and on your knee

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Durhambiker, sounds challenging but good.

• Options

Aye that's how it felt. Like there was an abnormal amount of resistance to work against to swim. Which was annoying as initially it was going great. Was up near the front of my wave, water was a decent temperature and good conditions. By the mid-point I was swallowed up by the next wave and it wasn't a pacing issue

• Options

Well done DB a great effort at a weeks notice and the swim can only be easier on your next tri.

• Options
    Diamond2 wrote (see)

Cake i am doing the HOWSC tri in september, it's only sprint distance but my first OW swim. I upgraded when they cancelled the duathlon i was booked in for, i thought it was the perfect excuse to take the plunge so to speak.

Hopefully it will be ok, i'm doing a novice with pool swim the weekend before.

Cool OW is all about the spotting if your have your head down FC depending on your style you might find yourself zigzaging a far bit I would get as much open water in as you can in the next few month's. I breaststroke still mostly and quite often overtime faster swimmer's at racing just because they arn't looking where they are going. 

It's the new forest so you might be able to get some other's of the thread to play.

DB nice one mate. image

• Options

My FC is very bad, so my head is up a lot to breath as i can't get the hang of the correct FC breathing thing, so hopefully i will be able to keep an eye on my route and not zig zag to much.

I see that the venue holds swimming sessions a couple of times a week so i might pop down and check it out. I also did some googling and found a lake in Eastliegh  and a place called vobster Quay not to far away so hopefully i can get some real practice in.