Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

razor - great running

DB - you will be fine!

• Options

It always is Matt, it always is.  imageimage So get on that fekkin bike tomorrow . image How's Mixed Grill doing.

• Options

She's alreet, much more positive than me at the moment. Part of the problem is we're learning we just can't train together. Different strengths and weaknesses mean one of us will always be frustrated by t'other. Going to work on going it alone for the next few weeks

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

had a great day today, open water swim (shockingly it was the first of the year) so really just took it easy and used it as a session to get used to being in the wetsuit again. Then an 8 mile run and then masters swim tonight image

• Options

DB - my OH is so much quicker than me now. We can swim together that's about it. It's been great watching him improve. Must admit, I feel a little left behind at times. But, I have always in the majority trained on my own. 

Nice work Maths... Can't wait to see you at Outlaw image

• Options

Visited physio yesterday, she's given me some youtube videos to watch to help strengthen my knee.

Just did sprints today 650m fast, 650m gentle.  Repeat ad nauseum....

I think sprints might be harder than long distances...

it's still cold here.  I think we might have reached double figures today...but only just.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I we're somehow getting same weather Pete as it was 9 degrees at 7am today, again! I toughed it out though in shorts but went for a long sleeved cycle jersey and it's still taken me until now to feel warm again. I obviously need to work harder when I out to warm up!

Training is going well but I've been suffering from acute heartburn for the last week which I never normally get and it will NOT go away despite vast quantities of gaviscon. The upside is I've lost 4lbs.  Off to see the Quack on Thursday and really hope they can sort me out as I'm supposed to be riding Flat out in the Fens on Sunday and I don't fancy 112 miles with heartburn...

My hubby thinks I'm completely binkers but will now bike with me either if I have a short easy bike session or if I have a shortish run session. IT certainly makes me run a bit quicker and it's nice to have company image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good to hear that peeps are training well.

I have been back to the GP and had blood tests done, more results by the end of the week. Told to fully rest so no exercise yet, so it is just as well that I have lost my mojo.  
    I will be camping and supporting at Outlaw.image  
    I have done the online deferral of my place in the Ride London 100, but at least I know I have a guaranteed place for next year, even though I will need to pay again..

• Options

Well I've got a weekend to train by myself this week. Current plan is to go to my first ever Park Run on Saturday, and turn it into a long run. Run from home to the venue (about 3 miles) at a slow pace, do the Park Run, run home, refresh supplies and head out for another 5 to 10 miles depending on how I feel.

Sunday I'm going to head out on a club ride with a local club, 7 miles to the start, 45 mile ride, 7 miles back, and then do a few local loops to bump it up to 90+. Looking forward to it

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - that's a shame image but glad to hear that you will be there supporting. Hope the tests are all ok and it is nothing too serious

Ali - I don't like the sound of the heartburn!

• Options

DB,, looks a good weekend plan, Its your first parkrun dont go off too fast or you will be blowing out of your arse before you've got to the first mile. enjoy it and dont forget your barcode.

6.5 mile run for me tonight all in Z2.    9:44 avg pace and felt good 1hr 3mins.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, I have contacted IronPingu to make sure she is OK to take over, if not Meldy offered even though she is off to do IM Austria this weekend. So team Girls that Tri will be fine.

• Options

Currently trying to get the printer to work so I can sort out my barcode Razor. Not planning on doing the park run quick, just need to take that first step and get one done. Planning on doing them regularly as part of my goals for next year. No full Iron next year, going to focus on a couple of halfs, and working on getting better at the individual long distances.

• Options

DB  Whatever time you get it will be a PB   image My first was 29 min,I got it down to 26 mins after about 8 weeks.Then 2 weeks after I did Outlaw I knocked 40 seconds off my PB, the week after I knocked another 52 seconds off it.My PB now is 24:57. The speed will come If you do it regularly.

• Options

Have fun at the Parkrun DB, they are fab! I got excited that there is now one in Glos but have been working every Sat since image

Bit of a turbo tonight, long day at work tomorrow. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

phew, must be a bit warm on the turbo MrsD, though I am thinking of an early morning turbo, see if I can cope with it, not much time in the mornings to head outside, and never a good idea when I am a bit sleepy and dopey at 5am

• Options

Did my first OW swim tonight, managed 2k, 4 loops of the 500 mt course. Don't know my time I went straight from work so did'nt have my Garmin with me, It felt tough the first loop then seemed to get into a rhythm and felt better and it felt faster the further I swam.

• Options

you're all showing off with your "too hot for turbo" talk!  Although the weatherman is suggesting a high of 17°C for the end of next week.  Woo!

I have patellofemoral syndrome or something.  Basically my knee pain is due to my knee cap not tracking correctly when I run.  So I have some really silly exercises to do.  I'll stick to some gentle cycling next week.

• Options
    Stick at the exercises Pete and hopefully it will sort it out.
  • Options
    peteinthehills wrote (see)

you're all showing off with your "too hot for turbo" talk!  Although the weatherman is suggesting a high of 17°C for the end of next week.  Woo!

I have patellofemoral syndrome or something.  Basically my knee pain is due to my knee cap not tracking correctly when I run.  So I have some really silly exercises to do.  I'll stick to some gentle cycling next we

I don't want to rub it in but they are predicting highs of 30°C here next week image

Squats, single and double leg, done slowly and controlled will help with the knee. Keep doing the exercises as they will work to strengthen the muscles in your leg to help support your knee

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Big weekend of training lies ahead,

Tomorrow 2 hrs OW swim, 20min bike, 2hr run
    Sunday Flat out in the  Fens, 112 mile sportive and aim is under 8 hours
    Monday evening - first ever sea swim image

I really hope I manage it all OK and get to see you on the other side.image

• Options

Thought the park run idea was a goner earlier when the printer decided it wasn't go to work. However another local triathlete has offered to print my barcode and meet me there with it tomorrow. No excuses now!

So minimum 9 miles tomorrow, ideally more. Then aiming for 90+ miles on the bike on Sunday. Might have a go at making some of the rice cakes from Feed Zone Portables tomorrow afternoon to try out on my ride

• Options

Got myself out and did the park run, and really glad I did. Lovely course, great weather today though a bit hot and a brilliant atmosphere. So I've now got a park run pb of 30:55, as part of a 9.2 mile run. Might do another 4 or 5 miles this afternoon.

• Options

Nice one DB  image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Ali - I love swimming in the sea. Never done it in a wetsuit though

well done DB

I dragged myself round the clumber half marathon, it was too hot, my legs didn't want to run and I only entered a few days ago - just needed to do an event after all the DNS I have

• Options

Well done Maths, it's good to get one under your belt after your DNS's

I have just run 3.7 miles in Z2, negative splits, 10:05, 9:11 and 8:57, deliberately kept HR at mid point in Z2, avg HR 152. happy with that as the run felt easy even if it was only a short one. I'm up early and out on the bike in the morning hoping to be out for 4 to 5 hrs on my own as Horse is on holiday. image

• Options

Rain is happening tomorrow morning razor

i was planning on doing a lap of ironman course in the morning but it might have to wait for the afternoon

• Options

Crooky,

I did Sheephouse Lane last week but the other way round came up from the Black Dog end, sharp climbs that way but only short. I'll be out early, if it rains so be it, we can't choose the weather on race day.I'm doing Outlaw, are you doing IMUK?

• Options

Yes mate, back on it again

like you say we can't control the weather on race day but for me it's far safer if I don't go out when it's wet 

I have history image

• Options

Best of luck mate. I don't need rain to fall off my bike, did that just before Outlaw in 2012 and broke my leg    image