Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    Razor, Horse should send us a roll of Police tape so when I arrive I can just tape off an entire corner of the site to keep people out...
  • Options
    Yeah that would be good lol, we will be there Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Evening all - newbie checking in here as (like lots of others from what I can gather) I'm a runner / cyclist who can't swim (at all!) who has been suckered in by Tri.

Decided to go big early so entered IMUK 2017... giving myself a whole year to train, as well as completing some shorter events along the way. Some of your stories on here are great motivators... does anybody mind a chubby Yorkshireman hanging around for a bit?
  • Options
    Yorkshire? I already tolerate Hofmeister and as a Lancashire lad myself that's one Yorkshireman too many already...

But I'll give it a try...
  • Options
    Haha - thanks - hopefully we can overcome our cultural differences for the sake of the groupimage
  • Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

*sneaking back in hoping no-one noticed I was missing*

Hello Pie!  I had to learn to swim completely after signing up to a triathlon so it can be done.  I only did a sprint though....  Good luck!

No running going on here for about 3 weeks.  I've been sulking instead.  Although I have been in the gym and out on my bike with a bit of Nordic walking thrown in, so not completely lazy.

I'm plotting another triathlon though so will get back on it.

Who did Outlaw?  Hope it went well.

• Options

I did the bike in a relay, and even enjoyed most of it! Surprised myself with how well I did as I've not done a lot of training for it as I was originally going to be doing the run. Average moving speed was 17.3mph with an overall bike split of 6:46:27. Spent about 21 minutes stopped at feed stations/side of the road stretching my back out and giving my feet and knees a rest as was having problems purely down to lack of hours in the saddle. It's given me a realistic idea for targets on the bike for next year.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

welcome pie man - my advice would be to get some swimming lessons and learn front crawl. You need to be getting out of the water feeling not knackered!

I had a great time at outlaw, managed to be in a relay team with a fast swimmer and cyclist which meant I had 10 hours for the run image I didn't need it all, but I was slower than I hoped. Mind you, I had a really tight calf and was worried about whether I would make it - but by 18 miles my feet hurt more than my calf so just plodded on. The finish was awesome. Struggled to eat afterwards which is unusual for meimage

• Options
    *Waves at Mrs L*

Thanks for the encouragement - good to hear others have done it...! I have my second lesson tonight, I've decided that as I have so much time to prepare I can take a little time to nail the technique and then start multiplying the lengths.

Running and cycling are fine - save for the fact I'm in the middle of moving house and all my bikes are in storage...

Who's up to what today?
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I am so stiff from Sunday - but I think I might walk to the gym, do a gentle bike, and some stretching. I know a swim would help with the sore muscles but I just don't feel like I have the energy for a swim image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Morning everyone.

Back from a break in France, took the hybrid bike so I could get some training done. It got too hot for a while, 40 degrees is really hot for me, lots of dips into the swimming pool to keep cool required.

Well done to all those taking part/supporting at the Outlaw,  I was sorry to have missed it this year. Massive well done to MC on the run, I read about it on other threads as well.

Just need to get on top of work, so I can then concentrate on getting organised for the Ride London event on Sunday.

Welcome Pie man and hello again to Mrs L

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

is Ride London this Sunday? Ooooh good luck CJ - hope this weather holds for you, if I remember right it was awful last year?

• Options

The sun will be shining on us on Sunday CJ...
    I won't be in Pirate kit due to corporate sponsorship, but will definitely be shouting encouragement at any Pirates I see on or off the course!

Have a good one!

• Options

Good luck Steady and Bob!!

I will be doing a wee sprint try on Sunday - should be fun image 

MC it could have been the heat and your body might have been a bit distressed - as you know my body just loves to eat after big events image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

good luck buttercup - which one are you doing?

Bob - good luck to you too for Sunday

I have now made up for not eating much on Sunday image

• Options

Just entered the Weymouth Classic olympic tri on the 21st August, as I'm down there all month for work. Just got to hope M&M hasn't sold my bike...

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

had a couple of nice lazy days, bonus that the kids are away at scout camp. I kind of forced the youngest to go, eldest didn't want youngest to go- something about cramping his style, so hope they are having a good time

I suppose I had better get dressed and go for that run I promised myself today, it will be slow and plodding but I don't care

• Options

It's the Halton one MC - so just down the road - not going to do anything exciting just dip my toes back in and enjoy myself  image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

nice slow 4 mile plod. I have 2 toenails that are bruisy and sore and going to fall off at some point, but other than that all good

buttercup - have fun at the weekend, I like a nice sprint tri just for fun - no cutoffs/time pressures, I don't even worry if I get stuck behind someone in a pool swim, it might slow me down, but not important....

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Bobs your father, I will not be pirate kit either, but may have my buff on first thing in the morning. I will be in cycle club kit as we go through our town and the cheers are almost as good as the pirates, although most other cyclists seem to think that we should be good at climbing hills, some are but not me.

I have spent ages this evening, planning and looking at maps, staying overnight in London before event and then a short cycle to the start. Now to get the kit packed, busy tomorrow night and then Friday after work, I will pop over to Excel centre to register.

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend.

• Options

image I've been right lazy for a while and it showed the other day so need to very big kick up the bum. Thinking not working with computers all day might be a factor as not talking carp to you lot so made the super human effect to get all the way to the corner and load up the lap top. *waves* Ay up. imageimage

• Options

Hello gorgeous just in case http://thecovehouseinn.co.uk/ Really nice place to eat on a sunny night.

Right night time Promise will fire up the pc again tomorrow it's almost as good as training and all that isn't it? image

• Options

Looks awesome does that Cake. I'll have to have a spin along on the bike.

No training for me next couple of days, getting my last few bits of packing up done before collecting my hire van to move my gear to Manchester. Back up here tomorrow, farewell drinks on Saturday. Next training will be in Weymouth on Sunday.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

hi cake, great to see you at the weekend!

mum was taken back into hospital yesterday, either side effects from the chemo or an infection so we don't know how long she will be there. At least the kids aren't here to get upset about it

I am going to running club tonight, I know training with them improves my running, and my legs feel ok now (well apart from sore left calf)

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hello Cake

MC not so good news about mum but as you say at least the kids weren't home to get upset. Hopefully she will get sorted out soon, is it the expected low point in the chemo cycle when an infection could show up? If so then she is in the best place to get it sorted, they are normally good on the oncology wards.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - yes, I think so, although they do think it is side effects from the chemo rather than an infection, but they gave her a big penicillin injection anyway

went out with the running club last night for the first time in ages, and was pleased to be able to keep up. The 73 year olds are still faster than me though! I aim to be quicker than them at some point....

• Options

Maths trip them up it always works for me. (((hugs))) for mummy maths

• Options
    I am training for the Weymouth Classic by acclimatising. Got to get over the jet lag, but I'm straight onto the cider down by the harbour. #commitment
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

puffy - lovely photos on facebook, have fun down there

slow slow run today

and kids came back from a week at scout camp yesterday so I have been mainly washing stinky clothesimage