Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear your mum isn't well Maths, hope the injection has done her good and she's feeling better soon.

Hi Cake!

Buttercup, hope you had fun at the sprint tri today.

I have been to a spin class which was great, followed by a slightly unwise 3 mile run.  I only went because I haven't ran for a few weeks (been in the gym and cycling instead) and I didn't want a zero run miles month on Fetch! image  Felt surprisingly ok but I suspect I may hurt a bit tomorrow.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Morning folks, I survived the Ride London ride. Eventful, hot, nice medal, now aching.

The ride started really well, amazing speed through London out into Surrey average speed for first hour was 17.5mph, normal speed 12.5mph, then slightly slower as I had a quick pit stop in Richmond Park but carried on out to Pyrford which is between West Byfleet and Ripley, then got stuck in the thousands due to the accident. Stopped my Garmin, as all the enjoyment of the ride had disappeared. One hour and twenty minutes later we got moving, albeit walking for three quarters of a mile ( thank goodness I had my cleat covers with me) then a mass start which lasted less than a mile before we had to stop again due to the narrow country lanes. Another hold up due to another accident but finally got up Newlands Corner hill. By now the cut off times had kicked in so I knew that I would not be doing Leith Hill, later found out that they shut it early due to a serious accident on the ascent. Pootled along the A25 into Dorking,  where that road narrows through the town centre and thousands of us had to stop for 5 minutes or so before getting going.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

By now seriously unhappy bunny, been cycling on my own and feet were hot and toes crampy, so when it came to Box Hill the option was in for doing or missing out and I decided to miss it out. After all being local I can ride up it any day of the week. Into Leatherhead and stopped and the refreshment hub, saw pirate Shaz from another thread working at the St Johns first aid post, had a few words and headed off for the final 25 miles back into London.

The bugbear for the second part of the ride was that it was very busy with riders of all speeds, so you had to concentrate hard the whole time. Think of how busy it is on the GNR and how the runners never thin out but over the London Marathon the runners do, it was that type of scenario, not the best. Back into Kingston and through Wimbledon, more slowing down where the roads were being laned off to allow pedestrians to cross. Nice drop down Putney Hill and along the river, although I thought it was cruel when I had to stop to allow a few cars to cross and one cyclist pulled up but failed to unclip in time, he was OK but embarrassed. Then the final turn into the Mall and I managed a tiny sprint.

About 5 mins later, a man from my cycle club finished and came over to greet me, so we ended up going to the baggage lorries and walked/rode back to Waterloo to get a train home.

Tired, aching and vowing not to do it again, but target a flatish century ride somewhere, sometime, but not such a large event as there is a greater risk of accidents and having to take a short cut to finish.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

For those interested in times, I was 27 minutes quicker than in 2014.

• Options

well done Steady. I am sure there are loads of century rides that aren't as crowded. 

• Options

image Nice one steady if any good did this one before and a bit more chilled out alas i'm somewhere else on the day or would be going myself.

• Options
    Hello all. Another newbie. Blame mathschickimage will be popping in and out hopefully!
  • Options

Becks just seen the other thread I don't think it's to soon for a taster tri it's a getting to know tri stuff and all that and sounds like fun. Noisy question for you you said your training for a half marathon as well which you are you training for? Just being noisy because running is cool. image

• Options
    Welcome aboard!

Not done a lot over the last week, but got myself down to parkrun on Saturday and had a little swim in the sea yesterday
  • Options

Hi Cake! and thanks Mallowpuff.

Cake - training for Basingstoke (my local). I did Reading half last year which was tough as I didn't train properly (due to non running related injuries), and that was pretty flat. Basingstoke has hills so I am expecting to be a lot harder therefore trying to stick to my training plan of running 5x a week! So going to try and squeeze some swimming/cycling in as well...!

• Options

If you need to on any of the hills just taken it easy and walk up the hills and run back then you will make back up the time hills are great. image

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Well done Steady!  What a shame about the accident and the crowds though.

Hello and welcome Becks!  I did a half marathon and my first triathlon in May and now trying to keep the momentum going, so looking forward to hearing how you're getting on.

Lazy start to the week for me - have bought bike shoes and cleats, so have been holding onto the fence in the back garden practising clipping in and out! May venture out down the road and back later, maybe when it's dark!

• Options

MrsL - I found it was much easier to cycle in cleats than I thought, and certainly much easier than trying to balance in the garden hanging onto the wall practising clipping in and out! Just go out on a quiet road so you aren't worrying about the traffic much and can concentrate on the bike

not doing a lot of training because I am on holiday, but in the Alps so yesterday was a very long alpine difficult walk that knackered us all out! Today we had a short walk this morning and I had a run this afternoon - but the hills were a pain!

• Options
    Mathschick I think the Alps count as slightly more than a hill?!

Thanks lollipop. Went for my first swim tonight - did definitely more than 8 lengths, but stopped for a breather between each so need to work on that. And when did front crawl become difficult, feels like an exercise in drowning. My other half delightfully declared that when I turned to breathe I looked like a worried turtle!!

But positive I can already do the distance with breaks, 6 weeks to work on it and next swim planned for Thursday!
  • Options

MrsL Just remember most of us fail to unclip the first time we are at a traffic lights its a right of passage and nothing to get annoyed about. As above with maths chilled out quiet roads just to get used to it. I still sometimes struggle with cleats now after years of using them but I'm err special.image

Becks I'd just work on your for technic swimming distance will come with time and training 

• Options

becks - might be worth seeing if there are any adult lessons near you? A couple of lessons will make it feel much easier. 

• Options
    Thanks MC. Will look into it!
  • Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Ooh Maths, extra brownie points for training on holiday!

Becks, I had a few lessons and it was quite helpful.  The best thing about it for me was time in the pool without other people so I could concentrate on swimming and not have to worry about steering as well!  Don't worry too much about stopping at the end of each length, even if you do that in the race people will just go around you.

• Options
    Thanks lollipop. Unfortunately the tri is in a lake so no stopping opportunities - hoping the wetsuit helps. Going to bite the bullet and enter end of this week.
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have not done much of anything this week, apart from gardening, but tonight enjoyed watching the eye candy of the Olympic divers and gymnasts.

BecksF, a wetsuit does help if you need to stop, just bob about, don't worry as a kayak is bound to appear within seconds and the person will  ask if you are OK. It happened to me in the Serpentine and more recently at Thorpe.

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Ah, I forgot these things are usually in a lake!  I picked a pool one because I was too scared having only just learned to swim.  I believe its easy to float in a wetsuit though so you should be ok.  Can you have a go before the race?

I'm climbing the walls!  Finding it really hard to get much training done this week.  It's been a pain with the kids being off school as I usually train in the day while they are at school, so have been doing what I can in the evenings, but this week there's just been too much on.  Have managed to arrange to sneak out for a swim this evening, but I think I'm going to have to admit that early morning might be the way to go for now. Ugh!

• Options

Mrs L - early morning is definitely the best way to fit it in and you do get used to it!

• Options

Mrs L big advantage of early mornings as well is you will be training at the same time as you might be racing. Helps a little to get your body used to the exertion come race day. 

• Options
    Mrs L - yes hopefully should be able to have a go in open water, if not it will be a grin and bare it job on the day!

I don't mind early mornings - but have to say I haven't been able to get up before work to run for a long time!
  • Options

Well I spent a bit of time this morning adjusting the gears on the bike and tracking down some annoying creaking noises that had appeared during Outlaw. Got it all sorted and the headed out to check out the bike course for next weekend's Weymouth Classic tri. Got 16k into the course before hearing a worrying cracking noise which caused me to pull over. Snapped spoke on the rear wheel, bollocks. Tied it to another spoke and then turned round and headed back, as didn't want to risk another spoke going whilst even further out on the course. Now have a wobbly back wheel that needs a new spoke and truing, and typically the local bike shop is shut on Sundays. Still, better that it went today than during the race!

Bike course does look lovely though, although it's all either uphill or downhill, not much in the way of flat bits...

• Options

I suck at early morning training. However, don't seem to struggle on race day. Bizarre.

Last couple of days training gone a bit sideways. Not long now till D-day!!! Gotta get myself rocking!

• Options

Hey MrsD I am sure you will be fine, you have done quite a bit latey haven't you?

I am on holiday so not doing a massive amount, have had a few runs, lots of walking and some ow swimming - but with my youngest who is 12 so have to keep my eye on him so not exactly training as such, although he is a good swimmer, he is only 12....bit too hot the last few days for running

• Options

image Mrs D Any self defecation will be met with a swift blow to the head with a large wet trout. Everyone wibbles before a big race it's human nature. The important thing is to not let yourself worry yourself to fail before the race has started. I know you can do the swim and I know you can do the bike trust your training and trust yourself or I've get mischievous on you. image 

Oh and cheers for the cake at the weekend sorry I was to court up in mincing to say thanks properly.image

• Options

MrsD, you'll be fine. I'll be drinking lots of booze to help you keep going.