Options

Sunday 24th June

13»

Comments

• Options
    Stuart G - excellent 5k, maybe the 7m/m+ `slow running' was worth it:-)

Sodahead - good running and long cooldown after your relay leg. Looking strong. Wouldn't like to be facing you in a race this summer.

Micksta - well done on your faster 5000m. Which event did you play the joker on?:-) <readers under the age of 35 may be struggling with this one...>

NN + flyaway - well done on your positions. Flyaway - did the organisers say pre-race what their prize structure was? I always make the effort to find out so I know where I stand in the pecking order during the race. I look for things like; do they have a M35 (tinpot:-)) prize, do they award best value prize to a higher placed M40 or M45, how deep do the prizes go etc etc. Nothing worse than to think you've won something then to realise you've haven't.

M - nice 10k progression

Tom - nice story about the guy running round a track - did you forget to post your training:-))?

nrg-b - heroic run but a serious question for you to consider. You ran 37+ miles in 150s. You say about your form going near the end and ending up with some tight muscles. Now you have another 13 miles to go in your ultra.

I remember ForefeetGood a few years ago running a beautiful 2:35 marathon in his 150s with no probs at all but then having a mare in a subsequent marathon for other reasons (lack of training or fuelling) and his form going in the last 10k. He said as he was wearing 150s it took his legs months to recover from the mashing they took on a relentless flat road once his forefoot form had gone.

So....

How about this?

We know that to alternate trainers on a daily basis is good as they tax slightly different muscles groups. So in an ultra would the logical thing not be to give yourself a mini transition zone (and how much here we can learn from our triathlon friends) every lap on an ultra course to change into different footwear which would then tax a slightly different set of muscles for the next set of miles.

Never read this, have no research or papers to back it up (not even a mythical interenet guru) but just thought (after a curry, 2 large bottles of Cobra and a glass of wine) that it makes perfect sense:-)

• Options
    flyaway - re. the gender discrimination - it would depend on the relative numbers of males and females in the race.

If there were (to give and extreme example) 197 men and 3 women then you wouldn't expect 3 men's and 3 women's prizes.

100 of each and you might expect 3 for each.

Do you know what the breakdown of each gender was?
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    NZC: Cheers!

Soda: My 26miler a few weeks back left me so drained I had to sleep afterwards. But it was warmer. I think I got my fuelling right this time as feel OK right now. However, your point is spot-on and well-received - thank you. I am interested to see the DOMS effect on Tuesday so will be taking it easy for next few days.

Pammie: Yep, not just Gobi but all the high mileage runners marathoners and ultrapeeps. IMHO, these ordinary people with ordinary jobs are far more inspiring then any professional full-time athlete.

Hilly: LOL!! In my defence, I only played it once and it certainly had me thinking of you two ;-)
  • Options
    And whilst we're on it...

hilly and me have talked extensively about each other's running (no honestly!) and we reckon we're pretty similar standard runners (even on the dreaded age-grading tables!) yet as we look around the little nest we have built for ourselves her trophies outnumber mine about 3 to 1. This is for the reasons she outlined on the previous page.

For me to get a prize always feels special, a medal gives me shivers and a county medal leaves me beaming for a month:-)

Sometimes she goes into a race expecting a prize so it can become less special at times.

E.g. yesterday we both turned up very tired at a low key race. Hilly won by about a minute whilst I had one guy a minute in front, one 15 secs in front, and another chasing me 20 secs behind. So another 3 for me to worry about where she had no one to battle her.
  • Options
    BR, when you pass the 40 mark I am sure you will collect plenty of trophies, medals and bottles of plonk ;o)

Also, start entering races a tad further up north as the competition seems a little less competitive. How about New Marske Harriers 10K in July - you will place in the top 3 and Hilly will win the women's race ;o)
  • Options
    Pammie summed it up nicely.

Extra comments:
    Micksta - 1500m after 5000m must be really tough indeed!
    nrg-b - prep surely coming along nicely!
    hilly & sodahead - yeah, I reckon it's all those minkseasy 6 milers that sharpen my FT fibers (but more seriously just pleasantly surprised myself)

What: rest
    Why: that sprinter in me wrestled its way out leaving lots of doms behind and recovery jog in the rain just didn't appeal at all.
    Last hard: s/c yesterday
    Last rest: friday (CBA kicked in after posting plans)

Only 34 miles this week so consistancy still problematic.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Imski: You're one speedy dude.

BR: Cheers, mate! An interesting question.

If you recall Pose running is made up of three parts: Pose, Fall and Pull. My form was going in the sense that I was breaking at the waist but only on my right side - bu33er!!!!. This meant that my Pose (the stance everyone goes through) when on the right leg had my bum sticking back. With the GCM further back I could not Fall hence maintain pace. So to compensate I was inadvertently pushing back with my right leg but then had to yank it quickly with hamstrings but ended up over-striding. This braking motion ends up aggravating the right knee since my right ankle/achilles/calf is way stronger then that knee (Tom, are you paying attention?).

So the correction is really really easy. Push your hips forward and pull your ankles up just enough to break contact as your GCM passes the support, keep your ankles flexible ie don't force yourself onto the toes. That's what I did during the last few miles to good effect.

If I've recalled correctly ForefeetGood ran on his toes yet he overstrided. This meant before he landed:
    1. his calf muscles where already contracted
    2. his achilles was tensed
    3. his leg would have been straighter
    The impact would have been severe. All a big no-no when it comes to Pose.

I would have worn my Puma H Streets but didn't for two reasons:
    1. It was raining, NB150s are better in the wet
    2. I thought I might take walking breaks, the NB150s are good for power-walking.

My upper-most calfs hurt due to lack of strength in that area and that I was over-pulling (ie waste of energy). Those muscles together with the lower hamstrings (just above the knee) work together to flex the knee joint. You can bet your last beer bottle that I'll be exercising those muscles every few days from now on.

Sorry - but I think I'll stick to pavements and minimalist racing flats.

Oh, and I have 139 bottles left ;-))

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Sodahead, sadly it didn't go that well. Had it, then the posting would have read thus......

"It's a grey wet morning....blah, blah,blah.....

He fumbles inside his tracksters to locate his car keys, thrusts them into the lock and drags the car door open. As he makes to step into the car, he glances over his shoulder towards the sugar beet silos. The drizzly cloud is clearing and the early chards of sunlight are glistening on the factory roof. He screws his eyes up in the morning sun, smiles a broad smile, a smile that should be shared, and slams the car door shut. Seconds later, the engine roars, the exhaust rattles and the car is gone.

Meanwhile back on the track, the breeze ripples the rainwater puddles and a big black crow plucks a wriggling worm from the sand pit".
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I meant that FFG in that dreaded marathon overstrode in the last 10k. In his 2:35 he ran really well and he had a great appreciation of landing on your forefoot below your GCM with a bent knee.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    NRG-B, yep paying attention as always:-))
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Just checking - we miss you on the Outer Edge of these forums :-)
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    On the strength in depth of men/women I think running is probably more even than most sports. Football for example - my partner played Sunday football at proper grounds (good non-league) after 12months of 5 a side having never kicked a ball previously - and cycling is much the same - there are so few women who race that you can more or less walk into a team and get a free bike if you are semi-serious about it.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    oh - nothing today, partner went to London on a running club trip so I've taken the kids to the park and built some Ikea furniture, only been able to get out 3 times this week on the bike with her mum being in hospital (partner's mum not bike's) but still managed 140 odd miles - did a very hard 60 yesterday and came home absolutely dead.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics were 'I just don't know what to do with myself' Dusty Springfield, written By Burt!

I have polished off a fair amount of wine and back aches slightly less but I dread getting up in the morning cos I feel sure it will hurt.

night peeps.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Excellent

At least I did get the lyrics correct.

Well dones to all you deserving peeps. I was out-gunned by Stickless today, and probably by Minks too. Nrg has done as many miles today as I've done all week.

I must book some target races.