Options

Sunday 24th June

Comments

• Options
    M well done on your 10k
    flyaway..fantasic !!! that seems a bit unfair..the way they did the prizes !bloody typical isnt it !! still you should be very proud of yourself ...3rd lady is a great postion to finish !

Wabo nice to see you running .. hope your back feels ok in the morning !
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow! Night Nurse that is some pb!!! Oh dear for your son's mate!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    (I shouldn't say ""The Boys as it includes one woman - but having answered to "sir" for so long I have ceased to pay much attention to gender titles.) They still seem to be catching people on the sailing leg now.

NN - fantastic!

Wabo - glad you can still run. Back is rarely a running injury, so sometimes you can get away with running while it is healing. Best of luck with it. Core exercises in the pool?
  • Options
    great races M and NN

flyaway, not getting a prize for being 3rd woman is unheard of, but very well done for the position anyhow

Stickless, relieved that the guys are OK, and even making ground

Brumliz, I meant to add my welcomes when you first joined in here, but I was awol. I'm in Brum, too; what pace do you run/train, and where in Brum are you based ? I gather you are new to these parts, so if you want to know to know all the good routes, or company running if you are anything like my pace please feel free to email me.

What: nothing,
    Why: my inflamed knee is still rather painful, even just sitting. I'd have thought the antiobiotics would have made more of a difference by now (48hrs)?
  • Options
    flyaway - somehow I messed up the threading when I switched my pedals over a few weeks ago... the right pedal felt just a little loose... so I stopped at a bike shop and played with it... and broke the thread in the process making the bike pretty much unrideable - fortunately Shiraz zoomed out to the rescue and it's not the bike I'll be riding in Austria. Lesson learnt - nex time if it's only a little bit broken then I won't try to fix it until I get home...
  • Options
    And congrats on the 2nd and 3rd places, NN and flyaway!
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Well raced,M,Imski,NN,Flyaway and FL. Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Tom - I found find your posts a welcome break from the normal 'what,why,last this,first that :o) Keep them coming and I hope the injury improves.

Trini - Forgot to warn you about the post Comrades flu. Take care that it does not move into your chest,it tends to do that if you are not carefull.

What: 10K
    Why: It was supposed to be a rest day,but felt like a run.
    Last hard: .....

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    NN, the prize for second F45 is nothing compared to the major mega kudos your gonna get for beating yours son's best mate.
  • Options
    LOL Tom..I felt a bit mean really hes such a nice lad ..but I just couldnt resist it !!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tom
    I loved your post, it was very graphic and full of emotion. Keep 'em coming. Hope your injury allows you to run without the frown very soon!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Well done yesterday's racers.

Wabo: I am very jittery when it comes to shifting heavy stuff. Hope the back gets better. Try some gentle cat stretches?

M: Well done, girlie!

NZC: Maybe a "plod" but I would guess you'd give young whipper snapper a pasting if you were his age...or if he was yours.

Tom: Beautiful.

Flyaway: Wow - congrats on being 3rd lady.

NN: All you ladies seem to get much better placings then the men. Well done for being 2nd lady. Superb for beating lad's mate. :-))

Friday: No run. But got absolutely plastered and came in a right state.

Saturday: Massive hangover. The whole family walked into the main shopping area and back so I reckon we did about 5 miles walking in total. Then did another 30mins on exercise bike. We were all knackered so the whole family went to bed at 9PM.

Today: Woke up at 9AM but had a lie-in till 10. A very nice 12hr sleep. You lot are so thrilling with all your races and fantastic bouts of hills, track and V02max training, I decided I wanted to do something special today.

What: 37.18miles in 5:53 ie 9:29/mi at ave HR of 74%MHR in NB150 racing flats through wet and windy weather.
    Why: 'Cos I went to the Dangerzone.

I did make two 5min breaks, each time for a pee, a banana and cup of strong coffee. So in total that'd be 6:03

I was surprised that 24miles came up so quickly. After that it got progressively harder. I decided to do the last 6miles around the hilly area were we live in case I wanted bug out at any time, then I'm not too far away from home. They were very very tough, such that the perceived effort to do the next mile was becoming increasingly unbearable. I was almost arguing with myself! My form was breaking a lot, but the last 1.6miles I just put the peddle down and ran at an average 8:44/mi up and down the hills and felt very comfortable doing this - though HR was hitting 85%MHR. Quite freaky.

Upper calfs behind the knees were totally fatigued. All other muscles are tired but fine. Though I've got some dreaded patellar soreness because of breaking form. I soaked the lower body in cold water for 15mins then got a bad case of the shivers! So I've wrapped up warm and will be refuelling with pizza and beer shortly.

I guess the most important lesson for me: Focus on the form.

So there you go, just a training run but I have a broad smile on my face right now :-)
  • Options
    Evening! nrg-b, GREAT run but (unless I've missed something), why are you running 37M?!!!?????!

I went out last night and drank and ate alot to the point where I felt like I'd swallowed a balloon. The feeling was still there this morning, plus the ghost of the lime pickle, so instead of running, I went for a bike zoom instead! Thought it would probably rain this afternoon so headed for the hills.

What: 26.7M in 2 and a half hours, getting soaked with 3M to go!
    Why: a great day for biking
    Last hard: yesterday's race
    Last rest: Weds

I've decided to go for buying a real road bike this summer as this biking lark is really sucking me in! Now to spend hours looking and dreaming at bikes...... ;-D
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    FL: 50Mile Challenge (he said with the realisation of the enormity of the task ahead). Good luck with the biking, given how well you raced yesterday I get the feeling you are about to transmute into a proficient triathlete.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Verrry impressive nrg-b.

Missed your post flyaway - 3rd place! brilliant.

TmR, not entirely surprised that you haven't noted a lot of progress yet. Hopefully tomorrow should be a whole lot better. Trying to recall how long it took an infection behind knee cap to recover, think it was two days on crutches. Then again, no guarantees that the situations were analogous.
  • Options
    nrg-b - I see!! Well done then for the massive undertaking today, if you can do that in that weather, then things must be looking up! Then again, I reckon this weather is proably conducive to running long.

As for me and triathlons, careful! Others have reckoned I should have a go. Hmmm, watch this space........

but not yet!
  • Options
    And, well done to all the other racers!
  • Options
    Was racing a 5000m at Falkirk today, and ran a new pb of around (waiting for official result) 15:36. That's roughly what I was hoping for (I was thinking initially 15:30, but was going to accept 15:40), so I'm quite pleased with that. Conditions were a bit windy and it was a generally gloomy day.

The race had an alright quality field but not too high (since the usual longer distance runners were found doing the shorter events today). I think it was won in around low to mid 15. There were quite a few in it too, not all fast runners, so it got a bit troublesome passing thsse people at the start and thereafter.

I started out at the pace of the front pack, which was about 70 secs per lap but I think slowed a little after lap 1. I settled into about group 2, sitting around 8th or so and gradually clawed my way up and out of that one, but group 1 had got a bit of a gap on me, which I closed, but never truly finished off in the end (so was a bit isolated for quite a few laps). In the end I finished 5th though, and was first in the B string (another runner from my club was first from the A string). I held off others who were trying to get me too. Overall I'm fairly pleased with it, as I felt good today, and felt like I was working well but not having to kill myself to do so (maybe I should have worked harder!). While on the flip side, the time I got, while being a pb is still something I see as 'good for now' in that I aim to beat it quite soon. The aim then will to be going sub 15:30 in the near future as per planned. However as my first 5000m race of the season, and in a year, it's not bad.

Stats were 4:52 for mile one, 9:56 for two miles, 15:01 for 3 miles (and 35-ish secs for last 200m - which is a bit slow, thought I was going faster). However I'll need to see it in the actual results before accepting anything.
  • Options
    Evening all,
    Southern Mens League for me yesterday, same meeting as Imski, so nice to catch up!

Started with the Long jump, which was literally nasty bad! so bad I was laughing at my own pathetic efforts! lol

Then did the 5000m, my first of the season, started off at 78secs laps, and tryed to keep with I guess the Div3 leaders, started to drop back after 2k, then ended up in no mans land rest of the race, 3k-4k was a struggle, but I was able to pick things up over the last few laps. 17:22secs was my time, best since may 2005! not pleased though, but I know I should be! then had 30mins break and into the 1500m b-string, legs were mashed so had no chance of running fast, cruised around the best I could to get 4:54secs, pleased to have broken 5mins to be honest! then I was 3rd leg for the 4x100m relays, our team was not last either and I held the sprinters both inside and outside of me around the bend!

so busy day for me!

What:
    pm:6-miles easy already done, legs very stiff today, from racing and day out in London, surprised at my pace though 7:05mm achieved aerobic wise felt very very easy.

Why:
    Aerobic endurance
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    nrg-b - Glad to hear you will be at Comrades next year. Can't wait to meet you.
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    nrg-b - you have learned the most important lesson,fill up with beer :o)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Woke up this morning HR was up 5 wasn't sure whether to run or not, asking myself if i should. Do you bin a run when heartrate is up 5 beats 10 beats is there a magic number decided no. Rest today had some relatives over we went on a grandtour of South Essex finding a place to have something to eat all 10 of us
    Must take it easy this week cos its serpietime

M - great race from you again wind not good
    Wabo - gosh look after your back
    Tom loved your latest excerpt, hoping to here more
    flyaway - Good racing from you, just a shame about the non-prize
    NN- Great half-marathon result - 6 minutes wow
    nrg-b - fantastic run today. Whens the race can't be that far away now. What made you enter an ultra, has Gobi got your soul?
    Stuart G Another super run from you
    Micksta - Busy day you had yesterday. Well done
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

Stickless: Thanks!

FL: Just enter a tri-event, do it on a whim for no other reason then to learn. You won't know unless you try.

Sportaloo: Thank you! The 50M is a UK event next month. But I am soooo tempted by Comrades or Two Oceans. Yep, Beer = Nectar of Gods.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Pammie: Thx! Ooops - x-post. I guess if you feel ok and you're running by HR then you'll naturally slow down.
  • Options
    Flyaway - well done on 3rd lady.

Night Nurse - huge improvement - well done.

nrg-b - that will give you a lot of confidence - recover well.

Stuart - great stuff.

Micksta - very nice 5000m - shame you still had to run the 1500m - why do they do that - why can't you just concentrate on one event. It just doesn't seem fair. Well done.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Wabo - hope the back is feeling better
    Tom - love reading your reports, they're great fun!
    Stickless - my ex is into sailing and did the 3 peaks 2 years ago and had an amazing time, brought back some fab piccies
    Congrats to M, BR,Hilly, FL and anyone I've missed out on racing successes

today: 20k ish on bike in 55mins
    why: need to start somewhere
    last hard: yesterday
    lyrics: yup, fab song!
  • Options
    Evening,

UltraTrinni, my part of the relay starts in Skinningrove and ends in Slapewath. The profile is 2 miles up to approx 100 meters ASL (including a vertical climb up steps on the cliff face), 1 mile down to sea level again then 4 miles up and down peaking at 210 meters ASL and then 1 mile down (ish).

Flyaway, well done in your 10K and congrats on the 3rd place female and shame on the organisers regarding the issue of prizes.

Tom, I guess the run went well then.

Nrg-b, 1: wish I could sleep for 12 hours and 2: fantastic effort today but be very, very careful. It sounds like you have emptied your bodies resources to zero. Refuel and recover well.

FL, 26.7 miles in 2.5 hours with a “hangover”. Blinkin’ eck then I read again and realised that you were on your bike ;o)

Stuart, blisteringly quick and happy new PB

Micksta, well done in your 5K. It’s a real mental struggle sometimes when you get isolated and on the track you know exactly how far you are behind and there is no hiding place.

I completed the relay distance in 61 minutes. This is about 3 minutes faster than last year (I think) and on the back of a 90 mile week so quite satisfied with today’s effort. 16 miles in total, 1 mile warm up, 8 miles running the relay leg and 7 miles jog home. The jog home was surreal. I appeared to have my own personal rain cloud following me for 6 of the 7 miles. It rained on me all the way to the top of a local hill and one village from where I live (I mean, it really tossed it down), running down the back lane to my home I was accompanied by a fast flowing river either side of the road – but the rain had now stopped. A left turn towards my village and the river followed the road to the right and I found myself running on land on which not a drop of rain had fell.

On the up side, my old Nike Skylons are now very well washed and my feet are very well rinsed indeed.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    NN and Flyaway - well done on your placings and your prize NN. Shame you didn't get one for 3rd lady Flyaway. It's quite disappointing as normally awards do go to the first 3. However, I've known many races where there hasn't been an award for 3rd, it very much depends on who is organising the race and the number of runners in the field.

Stuart - another pb, well done you're doing really well.

Nrg-b - amazing long run. How did you keep your concentration? Was it the US military song over and over:-))

M - another solid 10k from you, well done.

Nrg-b - as a female who places in most races I have to say it is far easier because there's not the depth of strong women as there are men. When I was in Dorset I could easily win a local race with a 40 min 10k, here in Yorkshire that might get me in the minor prizes such as an age category, but only if the prizes went that deep.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Micksta - I think you're a true club man, well done you!

Sodahead - good relay leg, you're looking strong for NF!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - I think its because it was quite a small event - only a couple of hundred in all i think, they havent put the results on the website yet. But the steward people I asked did look at me funny when I asked if there were top 3 womens prizes too...
    Never mind. I have the knowledge of it, that will have to do!!
    It was a woman that came 3rd overall, incidently, but I was 21st overall, so you kinda get picture of dominance of men at the front of the field....idly thought about what BRs feelings would be on that as a form of gender discrimination!