Options

Roth 13 July 2008

Comments

• Options

Bouncing the thread, I know it shouldn't be said but tough image took long enough to find it again.

After racing at Bala I am looking forward to this a tad more, bit more running to get on with, bike is OK and swimming just needs to tick over. Did see a race report from someone who has done this that says the bike course is tougher than Austria, will be interesting to check out as this is supposed to be one of the fastest, maybe its the new course at Austria as when I did it it was 3 laps and the hills got harder each time !

Anyway, less than 5 weeks to go, 3 hard, 2 week taper with the Eastnor Castle half in the middle.

• Options

Rosey, this bike course is 2 laps, the biggest problem I've found is at the bottom of the course in Greding - here you turn left towards to town and then sharp left uphill, climbing a couple of hundred metres to a feeding station, then the road continues to climb but gradually for the next few kms. Best place on the course is the climb called Solarer Berg, it's only about 800m but is so crowded with spectators it looks like a pic from TdF - only just room to cycle through the crowd and there's a photographer at the top snapping you coming up. Scares me a bit but then I'm not a climber.

Swim is straightforward, start in the water, good swimmers are best out towards the line of canoes in the centre of the river.  Whatever you do don't swim on the right and get too close to the edge or you may cut yourself on rocks, I've done that. You swim around the bend and under the bridge, turnaround bouy is sitting in midstream. Coming back you have to pass the start/finish and swim down to the 2nd turnaround at the dam, then hell-for-leather to the finish. In this swim you really get an appreciation for how long 3.8km is, because you can't see the 1st bouy until after you round the bend and treading water at the start it looks an awfully long way away. I love the start because they always play really loud stirring music building up to the cannon's roar.

• Options
    Interestingly I've just seen that Chris McCormack is taking on some of the other pros only a week after doing IMDE, he's got balls hasn't he? But in good form, having won a tri near here last Sunday with 2:50 for a 2km swim/60km bike/14km run.
  • Options

Rosey, think Roth's faster due to the run, rather than being an easier bike leg.

Looking forward to seeing whether or not Macca can smack IMDE then put in a decent performance at Roth. IMDE will be a mini Kona! 

• Options

probably right, the run's T-shaped, out-and-back one way, crossing at the Landing, and out-and-back the opposite direction along the river.

IMS - yeah, I really want to see how Macca handles that. I guess he thinks Roth won't be a prob as he knows the course so well and has already won it 4 times, or is it 5, don't remember.

• Options

I was talking to some eyetie dude who'd done Roth , he said the bike was not so easy, just that the road surface was super smooth , which made it quite fast?

Good luck Rothies (rhymes with scroties!!)

• Options

ok cheers, I know the race is fast but it still sounds like a disc/tw*t hat event if thats the only climbing involved.

Will check a few splits.

• Options
    Totally - if you've got the gay boy gear, then goy for it!
  • Options
    I can't see how the run could be much faster than Austria - Austria was dead flat except a couple of small underpasses.
  • Options

Unless it has been changed since the sub 8's Roth is faster because it is a short course!!

Bike is short don't know about the run.

• Options
    cool, Roth is the new 218.2
  • Options
    so you keep saying smiffy - you've never done it, so you don't know. It's abliddy long way round those two laps. And Macca did sub-8 last year.
  • Options

well yes, 110 miles is a bliddy long way but its not far enough! image

i thought the fastest bike time had been posted here too, is that true?

• Options

The tri club I belonged to used to go en masse every year  because it was such a good race but they always said it was a short course but what do I know I expect even Mark Allen is wrong

"...on a course (Roth in Germany) that is acknowledged by the athletes (not the the race director) as being at least three mile short on the bike."

"...who really knows how accurate that run course really is that Luc set the world record on!"

• Options

To be honest I couldn't give a fu*k, you go to races like Roth because they are great races not to set records.

Tri is notorious for badly measured courses so whats the point in getting worked up about it. If you want to see how fast you are then stick to cycling or running or swimming in their pure forms.

• Options

Not worked up, just fed up with all the negativity.

• Options

Morgan Smiffers, 

going because its a good race and have heard lots about it, looking forward to the solarer berg hilly thing and the support, shame there will only be a couple of pirates but hey we are going for the race too.

2 weeks this Sunday, racing this weekend at Eastnor if anyone else is over there, will be in understated pirate suit image lets hope the weather holds off.

Also this is a wave start which a few people have bitched about but surely chasing people is going to be fun too, not knowing your position isn't an issue as I just look at the clock.

• Options

Short bike eh? Though Austria was only 109-110 and Nice 108 ( I think) so if Mark Allen is right that Roth is 109 then it's not so different from other courses wrt length.

All races have pros and cons.
  • Options
    I heard Nice was short too from more than one source, puts it about right then.
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

I measured Nice short by over 4 miles.

• Options

107.4 miles according to my gps, but with 2000+ metres of climbing (nice)

Imuk was 109

isn't the requirement +-10%???

• Options
    lol, the requirement should be 'to be accurate'
  • Options
    Lindi and I both measured Nice short , she by more than me probably means she takes a better line as well as being loads fasterimage
  • Options
    When are you all travelling out and is there a version of IM Live?  Im sure it wil be a great time.
  • Options

I am leaving to get there for Thursday, staying in the middle of Roth. It looks like there is an athlete ticker on the site but will only work once the race starts so I have no idea what it tracks. I will get Kelly to text meldy or someone else to put a few updates on.

Rosey no. 910 start at 7.10

• Options

did a nice small race in malverns today and came 3rd, enjoyed it immensely for no other reason that coming 3rd lol, it was a bitch, worse than Bala on a global scale, course was brutal, run was harsh, enjoyed it immensley, did I say I got 3rd lol !!

Sorry am kay lyed !!

• Options
    did Holly and I mention our 5.35/5.27 marathons on this thread yet?

well done sweetie,  excellent result  image
  • Options
    yes you did and thanks
  • Options

Great Lanza prep that ;o)

Lanz you will.

• Options

Well done Rosey! Third? What went wrong? image

13 days to go