Options

Has your cheque been cashed ?

Comments

• Options

Hey FF you stirring up trouble again......? image

• Options
    Is FLM a running event or a charity fund raiser....?
  • Options

oooh controversial..... image

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Both. The main issue as I see it is that the marshalling of entry to the start pens is a lot less organised at FLM than at other races, e.g. GNR where you now have to provide proof at point of online entry that you have previously run a time that you are claiming you intend to do. I ran GNR in 2005 (the one when 4 guys died) and 2006. They strengthened the marshalling of the pens in 2006 as a result, with 8 foot high fences and two marshalls on each pen gate checking numbers. At this year's FLM no-one checked my sticky label with my pen number on. I went in the right pen but no doubt others did not.
  • Options

PQ

lol, if I could do the 25 miles in my lunch hour think I'd be in with the elite field!!!!

Have decided to go for a run instead and prolong the wait.

Didds,

At the 2005 FLM I saw two blokes with printed stickers putting them over the issued sticker so they moved from pen 5 to pen 3!

• Options

AndyTrig, you will always get people finding ways to move up pens lol.

But surely, even with the correct number stickers, marshals must know when people are fibbing.  As said prev I passed a guy within 200m of start of one FLM already walking, he was huge.  There was no way he was going to run any of the route.

I should have noted his number and then checked results to see if he'd finished lol.

• Options
    post has been, still no news image
  • Options
    Does anyone actually know anyone who's entered intending to walk all the way?
  • Options
    Yes 10 people from work.  Needless to say I'm not speaking to them and totally refuse to sponsor them.......
  • Options
    OK, that was a few more than I was expecting....  I actually do know of two cases, both of whom do it in costumes that are pretty murderous, so a real challenge still, and starting at the back so they are in no-one's way.  PQ if they are just walking then I don't blame you for being mad at them.  However replacing them with 'real runners' would just increase congestion down the front... 
  • Options

I am doing it in costume this year for Children with Leukaemia.  the costume weighs 6kg I am told.  I am training carrying the weight already so that I can run it (in some shape or form) to the best of my ability.  (I have run it before or run most and walked a little bit).

Even wearing a costume there is no excuse not to try to run at least some/most of it with proper planning and training.

• Options

hi checked email last night not in iam really gutted.  i dont know why coz i knew i hadnt got in never mind ill look for something else but really wanntted to do flm next year boo hoo

• Options
    The two cases I were thinking of were the guy who does it in diving gear and dragging dragons, and another guy, who I met in 06 and who you may have seen pics of, who does it in policeman plod outfit.  The boots basically leave his feet raw and bloody: I couldn't actually vouch for him never running, but he's certainly doing a challenge even if he doesn't.  You wouldn't realise how much of a challenge without talking to him.
  • Options
    Still no post for me either!  Well at least i can still hope!image
  • Options

Hello to all on this forum. I'm new on this one - recently ran NY so some of you may allready know me from that forum....

I to am waiting for my acceptance/rejection magazine. As my cheque has not been cashed then I fear it will be the latter.

What I find crazy is the good for age categories. FLM is classed as one of the 5 Marathon Majors but they have completely different good for age times. For FLM I would have to do sub 3.15 (not done it) but to get in to Boston its sub 3.35, and I believe its a similar time for NY. You can even get into NY by doing a sub 1.30 Half !!  Crazy....

• Options

My colleague (the Borg) is intenting to walk the whole distance.

You see, back in April, he was nearly 22 stone.  He suffers from arthritis - somedays even walking knackers his joints.  He accepts the weight is a big contributing factor to the arthritis issue.

He's tried diets...and looses motivation (like lots of people!).

I did flm this year and he saw it as an inspiration and a goal - he knows that to complete the marathon, he has to loose the weight and get fitter.

So, by entering the marathon, he is giving himself that long term goal to keep training and dieting.

Since April he's lost over 4 stone and now walks 8 miles in 2 hours - previously he had trouble walking half a mile.

On his application form he put down a finish time of 7hrs, so he'll definately start in the back pen.

The point you are all still missing is that it is the individuals goals that matter, not others perceptions.  By the time he arrives at the start line, he will have already won his main goal (loosing weight and getting fitter) but the arthritis will still be there, so for him to walk the marathon is still going to be tough.

Why cant someone enter this event with the intention of walking it?  Surely it all depends on your personal circumstances.

He's starting right at the back with no intention of blocking anyone - as he's walking, he won't be darting off in different directions, so I fail to see how he could bother a runner.  He won't be taking all the drinks (like the runners in 07 having mini-showers with water bottles) so I really can't see how a considerate walker, who is completing a life changing challenge, can in any way be a problem for a runner possibly hoping to complete in under 5 hours etc...the two should never come close on the day.  Or am I blind?

The paperwork may say "RUN" but FLM clearly don't look down on it - or they would set cut off times etc.

• Options

Kevster, I'm with you and your mate.    Well done to him and good luck with his training!

And tell him to watch out for the teleports that aparently drop walkers in front of fast runners *G*

• Options

well said, kevster. i've been following borg's thread and he is putting his heart and soul into this challenge. no one could be trying harder than he is and has been doing so since april - a 12 month training plan not a 16 week one!

• Options

Sod it!

Bequethed cheque cashed 28th. No place again. Jacket is grey and I was expecting Blue as per the entry form picture.

Really fed up, 4th rejection in a row, can't run in 2009 when I'm guaranteed a place due to prior commitment (already).

Going to finish my bottle of wine and book some flights for Rotterdam.

Hope all those who are RUNNING have a good RACE.

Yours well and truelt p......... off

Trig

• Options

Trig - Is it not 5 rejections before being guaranted.... Still apply for 2009.

• Options

Dale

it is 5 rejections then in, will have to apply and pay for 2009, get my guaranteed place, pull out injured (because I've promised to take the missus back to Mexico for our 5th wedding anniversary) and defer to 2010 when I will have to pay again! therefore costing me £56 to run.

I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I really am annoyed.

Did you get a place?

• Options

Rejection for me too - Second year, but are for a club place.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Options

Andy, if this if your fourth rejection, then your guaranteed place is in 2010, not 2009. If you apply next, year and do not bequeath, then assuming you get rejected, you will only have to pay once, in 2010. If you get accepted next year, then you can defer a year, but yes, will have to pay twice. Either way you're in for 2010.

Kevster - good luck to the BORG. Sounds like he'll be working as hard as anyone, and harder than many, on the day, and for that deserves a lot of respect. I hope he enjoys it too.   image 

• Options
    Good luck to you borg, you are what LM is all about, the man/woman from the couch getting up and doing the best they can, I failed to get in this year but do not begrudge you or any other "walkers" your place, you are all achievers, LM is a street pagaent for people to enjoy.
  • Options

Congratulations to all who have been successful. 2nd time rejection . Will opt for charity place again , although raised 5K last year. Hoping those that sponsored are still as generous.

• Options

5k - that's amazing! what did you do, sponsored bank robbery image

waiting for the post... 

• Options

image Sponsored bank robbery.  Thats class, I love it!

Have to talk to the borg and arrange that!

• Options

Got the rejection this morning but I was expecting it. Crap rain top and why would I want to have a top of a marthon I am not doing?

I already booked Rome marathon on March and I am also doing Edinburgh in May. The FLM rejection means you get into Edinburgh without going through the ballot.

Try again next year

• Options

Got my glamourous grey loser's jacket this morning too and wasn't in the least surprised, just had this gut feeling all along.  image  It was my first year of applying so not too downhearted about it really (thought I'd feel worse ... maybe it just hasn't sunk in then!).  So - unless they change the 5-year rejection rule (e.g. up it to 10 years knowing my luck!), I should at least get in by 2013!!

Well it gives me 6 additional weeks of training time for the Edinburgh marathon, that's the bright side for me as a marathon newbie!

Hudds - good luck for Rome - and I'll see you at Edinburgh!  image

Commiserations for those who didn't get into the FLM this time around and congrats and good Luck for all those who did!