Options

Has your cheque been cashed ?

Comments

• Options
    Still waiting for the postie to arrive, must admit I didn't think people would be hearing this quickly.
  • Options

My rejection magazine has arrived today. Along with a rain jacket as I had bequeathed.

I entered on-line.

Good luck to all those that are succesful. Its my birthday 13th April so I shall be thinking of you all pounding the Streets of London whilst I rest up and watch the finish at the Pub! 

• Options
    I'm assuming you only get the rain jacket if you bequeath, so I'll be looking for the red calling card from the postie if there's nothing else there.
  • Options

Got my "SORRY, NOT TO BE" mag this morming.

Disappointed, but still hope for a club place.

GOOD LUCK - To all that got the other mag.

• Options

car passed the MOT test this morning

Home to find the Congrats mag with Flo in the hallway!!!!!!!!!!

Brill!!!!!

Just as well as I've already booked my accomodation after cheque cleared on 30th Oct

Now to book the easyjet flights, yippee

• Options
    Begsie go and buy a lottery ticket right now!
  • Options
    don't get my post until i get home tonight...has nayone got an acceptance mag who had their cheque cashed (who bequeathed) on the 1st?  Just wondering if there is still a remote possibility i got in........
  • Options

wow this thread is really hotting up!  To put in my tuppence worth...

....did first ever half in October, ran whole way, finished in 2:38, was slowed a little by blisters but prob would have run it is 2:20-2:30 therabouts anyway.  At the time I was 4 stone overweight, now 3.5 stone overweight.  By time FLm comes along I hope to be much nearer my goal weight with only 1 stone or so to go.  So no other health probs bar weight.  i think it'll take me 5:30 to fo FLM, and i'm planning to run whole way.  Of course with all the training I might do it quicker but i'm not too fussed about time as such.  For me completing a marathon is a MASSIVE achievement, and I don't feel i need to run it in 4hrs or less for it to be any less of an achievement.  I can understand though that it is frustrating for those who train hard to be held back by walkers/charity folk dressed up going slow etc, but as someone lese pointed out, if you are that fast, folk infront maybe aren't likely to be walking. On the other hand if someone has to walk for a bit, for whatever reason, then I don't see that as a problem.  If folk are going for PBs but feel that other runners in FLM prevent that, then why not do another marathon?  If it bothers you that much, but you still do the FLM, isn't that because you can say you've run London, which is what a lot of folk are slagging off others for saying?!?

• Options

Yes, just received my "Sorry. . . Not to be" magazine for the 4th time in a row

Now for another long wait to see if I get the golden bond place I applied for the third time in a row and yet no success.

• Options

OMG I'm in!!!!!    imageimage

Never thought I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting in I was banking on this on being my first of five rejections.

EEEKKKKK better think about a training plan.

Oh and by the way I might have to walk some if that's ok? 

I did my first marathon in October and had to take walk breaks each mile between 18 & 23 miles, hoping to run all the way this time!

• Options

Got the "I'm in today as well"

Here we go again !

• Options
    I'm going to echo Pinkerbelle's question (as I won't know for sure either until I get home this eve, but I have a fair idea - and looking forward that oversized jacket!) ... you guys who've got your 'congrats' letters:  do you know when your cheque was cashed?  30th Oct or 1st Nov?  Thanks!
  • Options

DTB

Might just do, get a lottery ticket

Though it'll be on line, saves all that walking and I'm feeling smug after running 12 miles yesterday morning. (1st reasonably long run since Dublin Marathon)

My only problem that 'she who must be obeyed' is out at work expecting me to be busy stripping wallpaper of the walls in the family room. Cant seem to get enthused over this idea today.

Yippee I'm in

• Options
    Rowan - in reply to your earlier post - you'll probably find that Paula Radcliffe doesn't have to wait to see if she's got in the London Marathon for the 4th year running only to be rejected again and then have to suffer another year of watching people dressed up in ridiculous costumes,  walking the course, chatting with the crowd, TV crews etc... and waving at the telly - I do !!!
  • Options

to answer the question: somebody on another thread got in on the bequeath ballot and her cheque had been cashed on the 1st nov.

my cheque was cashed then and nothing in the post for me today so still waiting... 

• Options
    one rejection mag for me 5th year running ...
  • Options
    Many thanks runner duck.  I guess not everyone will get the news in today's post but it sounds like we should all be hearing very soon anyway!  Guess I'm just a bit more impatient to know for certain than I thought I was!
  • Options

CL - So do another marathon?  After all, when people quote PB's for other distances etc, they dont always have to be from a particular race, it's just "10k in x time etc etc".

I still say that walking 26.2 miles in one go is a big deal for most people, and requires building up to (aka training!).  To say that walking 26.2 miles is nothing is just assuming everyone is starting with a level of fitness etc, which isn't the case.

Like I say, I think its all sour grapes - if you people REALLY want to do FLM, then get a GB place!  I accept you shouldn't have to, but if you really want to do the race, then thats a way in.  Depends how much you really want to do it though, doesn't it?  If you want it, you'll find a way - of course, its easier to sit back, put your feet up and moan that those slow walking b*stards stole your place!!!

Walk or run?  Who gives a shit?  Surely, as long as each individual is there, doing their bit, what does it matter how they get round?  If the organisers didn't like it, they'd ban it, or impose time limits like Paris?, but they dont, so thats the way it is...get over it!

• Options
    M.eldy - I thought you were guaranteed a place in the fifth year of trying, or is it five rejections and a guaranteed place in year 6?
  • Options

i agree walking is difficult, in fact i did a charity walk in june, 20 miles. i was absolutely exhausted and ached in places i didn't know existed. i'd much rather run than walk!  not that i've done a marathon yet, walking or running image.

although what puzzles me is that the flm organisers are so laid back about who takes part and how (ie 10 people tied together etc) but they won't let mick'n'phil take part. strikes me as very odd and very unfair. 

• Options

Sorry to all those who have been unfortunate this year

but

A tip for next year, never mind bequeathing as a last gasp go for an entry

JOIN A RUNNING CLUB, is the true last gasp/effort for entry

Each running club in the UK get a guaranteed entry, the No. depending on the size of the club.

If I had been unfortunate this year, I would have tried for my club's entry.

We ballot the entry between all our unsuccessful applicants

Apologies to Running Club Members who have been unsuccessful, but there's always next year, from one whose felt the bitter taste of failure previously

• Options
    Kevster - of course it's sour grapes - I wouldn't be posting otherwise !! I do other marathons (and races) but particularly enjoyed the FLM when I did it 4 years ago that's why I want to do it again (selfish I know !!!) - regarding GB places - I cannot conceivably see how I would raise £1500 (which seems the going rate) - last time I did it I managed around £500 for a local charity and that was hard enough !! (Times are hard up North !!!)
  • Options

Begsie, not every running club gets a guaranteed entry unfortunately.  The one I belong to is just too small to receive even 1 place.

Although I'm keen to know whether or not I got in for next year (unlikely I think!), so I can plan accordingly, I've got Edinburgh mara booked anyway, so I'll just keep trying on the FLM ballot until I do get in!  MoscowFlyer:  I believe it is 5 times rejection, 6th year automatic acceptance.

• Options

Sorry Shirley, I'm sure your right

I think our club has about 38 members

Never mind

I'll be there in Edinburgh. That's after London and Belfast Marathons.

I've committed myself to raise funds for British Acoustic Nueroma Society in London and hopefully my 50th Marathon which should be the Marine Corps Marathon on the last Sunday in October in Washington DC.

I would recommend the Marine Corps and you are even assured of entry if you apply on line when their website opens on 28th April or May. Details on marinemarathon.com I believe

• Options

That's okay Begsie - I wish our club was big enough to hold a couple of FLM places!  Would provide one more option after the ballot rejection!

Very much looking forward to Edinburgh ... I've heard it's a great 'first marathon' for lots of reasons.  If I don't get into FLM, it means I've got more training prep time!  That's the bright side for me!

Good luck for the FLM and Belfast and will see you in Edinburgh in May (I'll be the bag of nerves at the back image!!)

• Options

I think I'll have a better chance of gettin a good time at Edinburgh

I previously did Edinburgh when they ran it round Arthur's seat in the first couple of miles. You needed a good sense of humour for that climb but now it's downhill to the coast, so here's hoping.

Lookin forward to that weekend, and we'll even have free accomodation as our daughter will be moving there in the New Year, yippee

• Options
    For Edinburgh you do still need a good sense of humour for the middle 10 miles running into the wind along the coast...
  • Options

*Note to self:  pack GSOH and spare pair of lungs for Edinburgh* image

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Air of confidence 4 weeks' ago was well-placed: cheque cashed on 30th October so was pretty condident that had a place. Postman came today and... I'M IN!!! Not via main ballot but through 1,000 place second ballot for bequethers. Just retyped Amsterdam FIRST programme and 16 weeks starts on Christmas Eve! Here we go again!

Good luck with the training to all those who have been lucky enough to get a place and comisserations to those who didn't.

PS: my first FLM was this year via a club place, so there is still hope.

• Options

I got me official "Bog off" mag this morning.

Now which one shall I do instead?