Options

FLM Training: Sezz

Comments

• Options
    Great run and report Sezz, way under 4:30 on a less congested course.
    You say never again but we know that you want those 5 seconds image

Great to see you and FF in Chandos after.

I think that you will easily break 2hrs in a half.
  • Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Well done Sezz!

I managed to keep on schedule for the first 18 miles, despite being slowed down a bit by congestion and loo breaks. By then though my legs were aching quite badly (I have had the same problem in all my long runs) and my stomach was feeling a bit funny as well, and by just after 20 miles I was really suffering and had to walk for a bit. I got to 22 miles with a combination of walking and running/hobbling and at that point I was just intent on somehow making it over the finish line, but then the hailstones started to come down and I said "sod this" and made one last effort at trying to run. I struggled to 23 miles and then from god knows where my legs found a reserve of energy and I felt a bit better. My family were cheering me on at London Bridge, which gave me an extra boost, and I was able to do the last 3 miles if not in comfort then at fairly normal pace and knowing I was going to make it ok, and I finished in 4:41:15 - I even managed a bit of a sprint for the finish line.

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed with that time or not.  I'm annoyed that I had to walk for a bit and if I hadn't I would have got close to 4:30, but then at one point I thought I would do well just to get to the finish line.

Sorry I didn't see you in Chandos, I met up with my family afterwards and all I could think about was getting home and resting my legs.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Well done Andy, good going considering you were hobbling.  image

I'm having to type standing up coz I can't sit down and it's even harder to get up and FF has to help me!!  I'm wondering how to dry my hair as usually I kneel down in front of the mirror but that's an impossibility right now!! image

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

I'm actually not feeling as bad as I expected. I ache a bit when I walk and if I stay in one position for too long it's a bit painful when I try to move, but all things considered I'm not too bad. I have strict instructions from my wife to do nothing all day though, so I'm going to put my feet up and read the Sunday papers now. image 

• Options

Well done Sezz - fantastic achievement or getting your target time!! I can honestly say that you inspired me throughout the last 4 months to keep up with my own training. Every time I missed a session and saw you had ticked it off it spurred me on to sort myself out!! So massive thanks. 

I actually saw you about mile 2 and was running to the right of you but didn't feel it was safe or fair to others to charge past the 1/2 a dozen or so people between us to say hello. You certainly looked very focused at the time also! 

I managed to get home in 4:27:29, am so so pleased I have finally got the sub 4:30 at my 3rd (and final!!) attempt. The sore throat that I picked up on Friday unfortunately manifested itself into a head cold by Saturday morning and then just as quickly turned into a chesty cough by Sunday morning I seriously had worried that I would even make it to the start line at all - not had a sniffle for 6 months and then that happened - nightmare!  

Was probably running about 4:20 pace until 21m and then my chest was just not letting me breathe normally at all. Without the support of the crowd over that last section I could seriously have just stopped, quit and burst into tears (which I was seemingly doing alot throughout most of the race anyway!!). I knew though I was still on to get the 4:30 goal so kept pushing through the pain to the end. Was more pleased than anything else about actually running the whole way - except the bottlenecks at mile 1 and cutty sark that you mentioned Sezz - how annoying!! 

Anyway well done to everyone else on here aswell for your respective achievements - a well derserved pat on the back to everyone. Just a quick mention about my wife Sarah who came home in an amazing 3:56:45! She was in a different league to me throughout the training and I am very proud of her!!

Ian
  • Options

DOH . . I meant to post last night . . sorry Sezz . .

So how does it feel to have lived the dream the morning after? I'm so pleased for you, to see all that hard work you put in bear fruit . . what a star you are . .

Great report too btw . .

FatFace . . you too mate . . I know neither of us achieved what we'd hoped to yesterday but we're both big enough and ugly enough to bounce back and catch up with Sezz aren't we image

thanks to you both for all the encouragement you've given me these past few weeks . . you've been great and I wouldn't have missed this experience for the world!!

and catching up with the two of you for a Chorley Wood Pizza is a top suggestion image  I might even be able to catch the train from here and thus enjoy a little drinkie  image

well done everybody else as well . . it's a long way to run after all and we've all worked really hard to prepare so that on the day we can cope . . may your recoveries be swift and your memories precious image

• Options
    someone mention pizza in C'Wood?

its almost a Bucks social  image
  • Options
    Well done Sezz and well done FF....when we having that curry???
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Curry?  Pizza?  I'm liking the way this thread is going. image

Wolfy, deffo next time I'm up we'll sort it out.  FF will contact you about it.

Meldy, of course, more the merrier image

We've been out for a walk which I could just about do, but my left leg kept giving way and I got stuck stepping up into the communal hallway of the flats.  FF laughed at me.  Meany!

• Options

Hiya Sezz - I'm back in the land of the living (or walking!)

Well done - you really deserved it - you've trained so hard and kept focussed - I am really pleased for you!

Sorry didn't get chance to catch up yesterday morning - I couldn't see anyone at Pen 7 and by the time I finished it was too late to go to the Chandos ..... another time, perhaps?

....... signed on for next year yet?????

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Too late GD!!! That's what you think. There were some rather drunk forumites in there last night.
  • Options
    Really?  Oh b**ger.. I just assumed that because it had taken me so long everyone would have gone home to bed!!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

GD, there are some forumites that never go home to bed!

Right, my new targets are:-

Half Marathon:   2:00:05
    10k:   54:05
    5k:  26:05

I'm going to start following the Garmin schedule for a half marathon - and Fat Face is going to make his own up as usual image.

I'm going to do Ranelagh Richmond Half Marathon on 11th May and Dysart Dash on 26th June.  Anyone care to join me?  Might start up a sub 2:00 thread for half (maybe not attainable at Richmond though due to dodgy legs!).

• Options

GD- you should have come. Some of us went for a curry - think I got home just before midnight. Surprisingly unhungover today although it could just be the pain in my legs is comparatively that much worse.

Well done on finishing GD!

• Options

Sezz if you start a sub 2hr half thread please can you let me know as i would love to join in.   That is my next goal - half pb is 2:02 from Milton Keynes in march this year.  Up to that time i was also aiming for a sub 4.30 FLM but due to a back problem have only run a handful of times since Mk so was very surprised to get round in 5:03 yesterday.

Well done - brilliant achievement.

Pinks 

• Options

Managed to get photos of Fat Face and Rich on the Mall yesterday. I'll e-mail them to you once I have down loaded

Sorry Sezz didn;t spot you all day

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Well done Sezz - fantastic run, and a great report. image
  • Options

I thought I posted earlier but the site was so busy I think it crashed. Anyhow, it was lovely to meet you Sezz and Fatface in the Chandos last night. I just wanted to congratulate you both on fantastic runs -FF I think you are too hard on yourself, a big PB like that is something to be proud of.

Sezz, your race report sounds eerily similar to mine, found the congestion a little frustrating but very emotional experience overall. When I saw you I told you my time was 4.33 but actually official time was 4.36:43 so think my garmin must have been on autopause for a few minutes. Still not bad for a first time marathon. Just like to thank everyone here for spurring me on not to defer when I was seriously considering doing so after the flu. Particularly you Steve who said that I never knew whether I'd be injured or not the following year so why not go for it. Wise words

V sore today - can't walk, Maybe the 3 pints last night wasn't a great idea...

• Options

I tried to post earlier, but it went into a black hole, so I'll try again.

Very many congratulations sezz, on a well run race. The race description was very vivid, and reminded me of various parts of my experience too.

As you know, I wasn't realistically aiming for the same time as you, but had followed get you round as a novice like Granny Denny in 2005, and did want to step training up a notch. I entered a target finish time of 4:50 into the plan, so my paces were adjusted accordingly. I also tried to run with my club a fair bit, as I seem to do better with company, so didn't follow the plan to the letter.

I had three targets in mind - one, to run all the way, two, to finish sub 5:00, and three if at all possible to finish sub 4:50. I was lucky that the 11mm pacer should get me round under 4:50 if I could stick with them, so didn't have to pace myself.

The result? I DID run all the way (apart from the section by Cutty Sark, which we agreed was outside our control, so didn't count!) and I finished in 4:47:59!! Woo hoo, I'm a very happy bunny.

My hips really hurt for the last 10 miles or so, so I had to switch to the 'dig deep - hang on' mantra. I actually feel reasonably good today, with slightly achy hips & quads, but can get downstairs reasonably normally. Hopefully will feel better rather than worse tomorrow!

My best half time is 2:13, and I'd really like to get that down, so do start the thread, sezz!

• Options

Pizza ..................................... in Chorleywood?

Can I come?

• Options

Well done Sezz, FF and everyone you all did so brilliantly. What an absolutely amazing and memorable day! What a great 'leveller' running is, so many amazing stories and inspiring things written on the backs of shirts (though I didn't anticipate the heightened emotions at all and cannot believe how much crying I did!) something like this really does make you think that when you get down to it money and other material possessions matter nothing on the road (well, ok so maybe it wouldn't be quite as great without our Garmins but you get my psycho babble??) My run was a disaster by all accounts, was absolutely flying up to 17 miles despite stupidly long breaks for loo queues but then my knee just went altogether and I finished in the grand total of 7 hours, 20 minutes and many many tears later. Could have been soul destroying stuff but I knew my knees were weak and I'm just so glad I plodded on walking to the end because my knee pain was excrutiating, off to physio tomorrow.

A big big thank you to everyone for all your advice and inspiration, although the end result wasn't brilliant for me to say the least, the overall experience was just pure magic and I can finally say I've experienced my one life defining moment of pure euphoria (even though it does sound a bit odd that Neil Diamond was in there!!) Brilliant thread Sezz, nobody could have done better. Thank you all.

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Pizza Man, of course you can come and perhaps you could have a word with the owner, coz I believe you know him, and negotiate a discount? image

• Options

FF, I have just realised summit, can you call me on my home no, I'll email it to you.

I understand the owner is a realy nice bloke and I'm sure would be more than willing to negotiatte something image

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

>>crashes thread with loud bang<<

Bucks social? Or edge of Bucks/Herts social..............................

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Helen Heath, sorry to hear you had a bad run, but at least you carried on and finished despite the time.  You'll do better next time!

Diana, wowza!  Fab run.  You can deffo get your half time down now.  Good news that you can get downstairs easily.  Wish I could, the amount of times I've been stuck in a chair today is not funny.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Sezz/Fat Face - tried to say hello and engage you in conversation in the pub afterwards but couldn't get the words out right to introduce myself (called Fat Face some stupid iteration of his name) and Sezz , you shot off upstairs (I couldn't get upstairs), would love to say hi and congratulate you if you're at the social at the end of the month.

Take care both. 

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Helen Heath, sorry to hear you had a bad run, but at least you carried on and finished despite the knee issues.  You'll do better next time!

Diana, wowza!  Fab run.  You can deffo get your half time down now.  Good news that you can get downstairs easily.  Wish I could, the amount of times I've been stuck in a chair today is not funny.

Mitten - absolutely.  In fact it would be great to see anyone from this thread and have a little thread reunion.  Actually, anybody at all image.  I'll sort out a date.

Oh Mousey, really sorry image.  Just grab me next time and say hi. To be honest, I was beginning to get into a bit of a daze after a while as I badly needed food! 

Huge well done to Eaglelad.  That was a great run despite your cold and huge congrats to Sarah on an amazing time.  Are you sure it's your last mara? image

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

Sezz - congratulations on your fantastic run!  well done - that's soooo speedy.

and sub-2 half threads - there is one already - it is a bit quiet, but I posted my recent sub-2 half

1.58 at the edinburgh half a month ago

You could easily go sub 2 now, and sub 54 for a 10k - that's my next target too....

shame my marathon pb is 4.58 : - (