Options

Is this man a Fraud?

Comments

• Options
    I say "keep him in" for the next few years- it's given me a lot of comedy value these last few days.

And if he's got one of those flowers that squirt water, then I could do with some of that on the course...
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Stick him on a unicycle on a tightrope and pie him.
  • Options
    Saw his stilts in half and shove em up his bum.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    and then ......
  • Options

He finished 5.39.26

I finished 5.39.25

Gladly he isn't in my pictures and I aren't in his.

My number was 34680 and I have a full set of split times.  I found several sections tough going on Sunday (namely the start, middle and end sections!) and to think that someone may have cheated really annoys me!

If he's going to cheat, why not just buy his medal from ebay or something, as the medal he got at the end means nothing if he didn't do the full distance!

My medal means I got off my fat lard arse this year and trained!  Shaved 1.29 off last years 7.08 personal worse!  (4.44 pb in 2002!).

If there is some truth in this, then surely he should be reported and banned?

I raised £2500 this year (with another runner) and we raised that on the basis of completing the marathon.  Pulling out through injury is one thing, but to blatantly cheat is not on.

If he just wants to raise money for charity, then raise it in other ways!

By him getting a place and then medal is taking the acheivement away from the other runners who do the distance.  By getting sponsorship beforehand and/or money on the day is defrauding those donating if he has no intention of going the distance.  OK, so the money may go to charity, but as one poster said, they give £xx amount to collectors during the race, so for him to take that money is taking it away from a charity who has a GENUINE runner.

Bad man, as FF says, throw custard pies at him!

• Options
    I still like the sound of a giant squirrel mugging. image
  • Options
    Oh me too - I'd buy tickets for that image
  • Options

what a funny, sanctimonious thread.  who cares if he takes a short cut?  it's not like he's cheating to get a GFA place or anything.  anybody think he was evil alex vero, or something.

assuming that he doesn't nick it, of course

• Options

I think we all care very much that he takes a short cut.

As Mr B said in his very first post it is completely against the spirit of the race.

And as others have said, why take up a place in the race that someone more deserving could have been given - by which I mean someone willing to complete it.

He knows full well if he just turns up with his trolley and bucket people are going to give him less than if they think he's running.

It is deception, pure and simple. 

• Options

So disapproving of fraud, deception and cheating in a race is "sanctimonious"?

Hmm I guess by that token being against robbery, assault and murder is being "Holier than Thou".

What a strange world view you have, Candy. 

• Options
    Well you could get him kicked out and named and shamed in his local paper. He'd be ridiclued and stop doing his fund raising. Is it worth it though ? Presumably the money goes to charity - I dont think that he is taking money off other runners really - how many ask for money on the day ?

OK - so he's cutting corners - but he is dressed as a clown with a trolley. Its tough enough and he's not depriving anyone of any medals or great times. If he got in the way of me getting a GFA then I'd be peed off, but he is doing it for charity and who actually checks that the runner you sponsor for the marathon actually does the whole route.

If the guy falls at mile 25 and breaks his leg - who would be stingey enough to take back their cash ?

• Options

He shouldn't enter the blimmin thing if he has no intention of running it - he has form and has done the same thing the last 5 years.

That's five runners he's gipped out of a place and 5 medals he's claimed with no justification.

• Options
    Yeah, why don't we all take a short cut next race we're in? It would be sanctimonious to criticise, after all.
  • Options

Good plan - I am thinking of doing first hundred yards, then to the pub, 8 pints and cross the finish in sub 3 - no-one will be any the wiser and who is anyone else to criticise I've raised tons for charity innit.

I reckon I can do an Iron Man in sub 10 hours as long as I can lay on a van for me and my bike.image

• Options

If the guy falls at mile 25 and breaks his leg - who would be stingey enough to take back their cash ?

Not the same thing at all.

but he is doing it for charity

So was I last year, and I ran 26.2 miles before collecting the cash. 

• Options
    I'm sure a lot of runners who were DNF would have a bit of an ethical tussle about collecting sponsorship if they didn't complete - and good for them too - it shows they are taking their obligations seriously.
  • Options
    I guess he runs on a gold bond place ? The charity wont really care if their runners finish or not - its purely a fund raising exercise - so they'd rather the places go to the guy who can raise the most.

Its not like they are trying to raise marathon runners of the future.

And its only a medal - you can have all the medals in the world - doesnt mean anything really ? Ebay has all sorts on. The reward is the achievement of covering the distance yourself with no aid. The medal is no reward at all - all of mine are scattered over the house and without the achievement - they're meaningless.

Like my IMDE 2006 medal ! image

• Options

Cripes Cougie - sounds a bit cynical on a number of levels, innit?

But I agree about the achievement thing - its a pity "Tommy" doesn't see the achievement as being of any significance at all. 

• Options
    Candy personally I'm not too bothered by him taking a short cut, especially if he did have 'issues' like another case someone mentioned.  If it was just that then he'd be cheating himself as much as anyone else.  What really is a problem is him coming back year after year and taking money off people by deception.  As someone else said, if you were running an event for charity how would you feel if someone asked you 'are you really doing the whole thing?'  Any charity fundraiser that shows themselves to be untrustworthy makes it harder for other fundraisers.
  • Options

Well, I'm willing to Give Mr. B another chance to report this as he was the person that noticed the apparent deception.

If not I will bring it to the attention of the organisers myself. Otherwise we'll all keep going around in circles and nothing will be resolved.

Whether they, or his charities, choose to take action or not then that's entirely up to them but I think they should at least know that what this man appears to be doing has been noticed.

SP

• Options

Watching the TV coverage was a bit telling. Whenever the TV interviewers stopped anyone for a chat and they said they were just running for themselves and NOT raising money for charity, the interviews weren't quite sure what to say. You could almost see the cogs turning over. And lots of runners seemed to feel they had to justify themselves by explained that they done it for charity last year. And then it was a quick 'over to Ben Fogle / James Cracknell / Ronan Keating interview'  to get everyone back on an even keel.

Its good that people use the event to raise cash for charity, but I think this should be a bonus and that people should be congratulated for taking part regardless. Personally I think that if you are going to use events as a way of raising money, you should put the effort in and do the event to the best of your ability.

( Its like some of my colleagues who have just asked to be sponsored for a local 5k and then told me they are walking it - I find it really hard to sponsor someone to do the equivalent of walking to the shops and back. )

• Options
    My finish time was 6:51:35 and i remember seeing that clown fellow at the back of pen 9. I realy dont remember seeing him come past me. I do remember two men dressed in clowns outfits and one had a bucket sat in a pram and the other was carrying a bucket of money, but that was just past tower bridge.
  • Options
    Ika, I guess they think that's a major thing for them!  Sadly many people don't walk to the shops and back... I think you should sponsor them, but only a token amount and tell them you'll give them more when they run a 5k
  • Options
    has someone reported him? he's not coming up on the results page now - at least not for me...
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Well walking 5k should take about an hour. Sponsor them £1 for every minute they finish under an hour. That should make them get a wriggle on. image
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    He is still there Lucy
  • Options

I saw a mag ad yesterday with a Jo Brand quote saying "if I can bloody run a 5k then so can you"

She makes a very fair point I'd say.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Some charities don't care whether runners actually complete the course.  Remember the Marine Corps Marathon a couple of years ago?

And pie the b*stard!

• Options

I'm not sure they do Wilkie and perhaps they have been turning a blind eye but it might be different when they realised he's been rumbled.

Doesn't  reflect well after all does it, for them or the FLM organisers?

• Options

I was really tempted to reply  '  Why don't you do a sponsored walk then ? ' but didn't. I know what you mean, but these are young people, with the normal amount of working limbs, who aren't recovering from a major illness or intending to wear full fancy dress or push around a colleague in a bath of baked beans. I know its harsh, but I'm with Jo Brand on this one.

( But I will probably cave in and give them a token amount..... maybe with PhilPubs speedwalk incentive thrown in )