Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

I vote for Liverbird. I've known her since she was a gobby 19-year-old and she's now a gobby, um,  21-year-old and she'll be good entertainment. I've been laughing at her - I mean with her - for years. Oh, and if you don't vote for her, there's a chance she'll not turn up to the GNR because she'll get distracted by the Selfridge's sale, or by a new delivery of handbags in Cheshire Oaks, but if you're following her round, she'll HAVE to do it.

(LB - you can pay me later.) 

• Options
    Wow - so many worthy candidates - I don't envy the person who has to sort this lot out.

While I don't think those who have a large number of posts should be considered by right over the newbies, I do think a previously demonstrated loyalty to the RW forums should count for something.

I would like to second two runners - Roslyn and CC2, both regulars on the GNR thread.

Although she is relatively new to our community, Roslyn was already posting regularly before this competition. Living on Benbecula clearly presents many challenges to training that most of us do not have to contend with. Should she be chosen, I am sure many forumites would be interested in and inspired by her progress.

CC2 has been a regular member of the GNR thread for some time. As a speedy member of the RW family, it would be interesting to see how stuctured training and support can help her to improve her already impressive performances.

Two deserving ladies, with two contrasting tales to tell. Please consider them both.
  • Options

• I deserve to win the elite training package
    • As I need to increase my mileage
    • I run quite alot but I’m not very great
    • I need to know what food to put on my plate
    • The Great North Run is such alot of fun   
    • And with Lucozade in my belly
    • And my trainers all hot and smelly  
    • I wont need to taking a rest
    • And I will be able to bet my personal best
    • I would be happy to log onto Runners World
    • to let you know how my training unfurls
    • I hope you pick me this is my final plea And I promise not to write you anymore poems image

I have completed 2 GNRs in the past and my PB is 2hours 20mins, I would love to be able to do it in 2 hours.  I have run for around 4 years but have not quite grasped how to train properly.  I run around 3-4 times a week with my running friends but we tend to just chat on our runs, which is good but I need to push myself more if I want to improve my time.  This why I need to win this competition!

• Options

LB - I don't think you've read the conditions properly, you have to have photos of you in training and race mode on the website!!!! 

I second LB (mwha ha ha ha ha!!!)

• Options

Andrea Ansell

I was a good county track and cross country runer in early teens representing county at English Schools on three occassions.  Drifted out of running in late teens and started running again in 2003 to support my Daughter who runs at Inter County level (it was easier to stay and train with the club than it was to go home and pick her up again!)  Started running local cross country and road racing and then graduated from 10K's to 1/2 marathons.  

Completed Redcar and GNR in 1hr 45, struggling to get anywhere near that time now, need focused training plan to keep me on track.  Train with my local club 2-3 nights a week but don't have anyone in club/my area who I can use as a training partner.

Please choose me as I am a great ambassador for athletics in general supporting at grass roots level .

• Options

Name - SwimsLikeaWalrus

• I run to relax but not as much as I'd like to as I swim and cycle too
    • I need a plan to stop myself posting thrashings of inane drivel on this website
    • I began running a few years ago and now cannot imagine not running!
    • I would like to train myself to run past my local cycle shop and not go in and spend money on yet more bikes
    • I'd look good in photographs as I'm very fit image although I'd quite like it if you gave me a bit of a tan
    • My10k PB is just under 52 minutes and I quite consistently run around this time.  My best ever run was 12k in 50 minutes.  I was very angry about something and I ached like mad the next day.  Clearly I found my race pace!
    • I'd find coaching useful as I am quite oblivious as to pacing but can reach my lactate threshold and hold it just below.
    • I do charity work and like animals image

• Options
    Hi Catherine!!

I've already seconded Roslyn (page 1) but if its ok can I please also second CC2.

She's a regular poster on the GNR forum and despite the fact that she is so blimmin good at running she is always happy to give encouragement/support and advice to everyone else.

I personally would love to see just what she is capable of!!!
  • Options
    NameimagewimsLikeaWalrus (sensible version)

Brief running history:I began running to reduce work stress and do something to improve my fitness levels. It has rather taken off!

Reason why we should train you:I'm pretty rubbish at pacing. I always run negative splits as it takes me a long time to get into it. Then I just hunt them down. My 10k PB is just under 52 minutes and I've not run that many of them. I'd like to run a half marathon just to say I've done it! Anything which encourages me to run is a good thing! I'm not sure I know how to push myself enough. I am fed up of being whipped on the run in a triathlon! Running is definitely my limiter and I'd like to address it.

Half-marathon goal:If I said to complete it I'd be lying to complete it with a 'good' time would be much more like it! I'm competitive.
  • Options

Here goes

Name Matt Crake a.k.a. Cake cause no-one can spell or say my surname even FLM on 2 different years!!!!! imageimageimage

Running history

Did other sports and foolishly thought running would be good for then. Ran the GNR before and enjoyed the geodie's so much I try and run it when fit. Once got bored to death by a club runner for 3 hours at the start line off GNR telling me that had the wrong trainer's, attitude, outlook on live etc so much that vowed I'd never join a running club. Latter the next week on a drunken night out with uni mate's was persuaded to form my own running club of one member and call it Balti King in honour of the university football team sponsorship from the establishment. Got a free t-shirt from the owner Tony and never looked back. Been taking the piss out of club runner's ever since by smoking (quit now mostly) in front of them at the start of/ finish of a race after beating some of there times, getting friends to set up relay points of Guinness when possible, camping out in the military vehicle museum to further the wind in at GNR and generally being a bit of a foolish cake. Not done GNR in a few years because of injury recovery after a snapped tendon on left ankle and would love to get to the end for the best takeaway and drunken night out in the UK.

Why you should train me?

Because it's better than selling crack on the street's, I can down a pint of Guinness in 20 seconds and I have puppy with a gun to it's head.

Other info

I'm allergic to onions, hence why the Balti King reference is so funny to my friends and family and no-one else.

• Options
    p.s. pick Farnie she knows she what to do it image
  • Options

p.p.s. anyone from Wizz kids reading this I did the GNR for you guys a few years back, think it was 2001 but not sure image and you never cashed the cheque? image Didn't reply to the follow up letter ever image

Get in touch chaps/ladies I own you lot £200 quid and it preys on my mind sometimes but not often cause I'm a evil cake. image

• Options

Brief Running History: I have been running on and off since 15, had times of seriousness but then stopped for a while due to life getting in the way!! In the last year I have started up my running group for a group of female friends in the area. We use it as tool to get fit and have some social time. I have run a marathon distance, but never officially, but completed half marathons, 10k and 5k's.

Reason: I have recently signed up to run 151 miles across the Gobi desert in 2009 and going to raise money for some local charities. I need some expert advice of where to start and how to train properly. This advice will also be beneficial for the ladies around me who i train with each week. I am now dedicated to running and incorporating it into my life as a life-long commitment.

Goal: I want to complete the half marathon under 1hr 50. I think this is very realistic given the package. I have the drive to do it bit need some knowledge to make the best of my abilities!!

• Options
    Hoping my mate Terry supports me!
  • Options

Name:  Helen Knott
    Brief running history: Been running on the treadmil in the gym since giving birth to my second child in 2006.  I piled on 5 stone and needed to shed the weight!  So combined running with weights.  Couldn't run for more than 6 minutes to begin with but built this up and about 6 weeks ago I made the transition from treadmill to road running and am addicted!  To date have not run further than 8.8km but am improving my times and distance at each attempt.  I am taking part in y first 10k run (Deal Dinosaur 10k) in July and have signed up for the Totally Wild Challenge 10k at Port Lyme Zoo in September.
    Reason why we should train you:  Running became my anti-depressant  after being diagnosed with Post-Natal depression.  It pulled me out of a black hole that at one time I thought I would not escape.  My motivation is my well-being and my new-found postivitiy.  I have two children under 4yrs, they are very demanding BUT the running is for me.  My thing!  It has changed me for the better and so I have applied to do a degree in Exercise in Sports Science.  I am very focused, eat reasonably healthy and would really appreciate some guidance and training from the professionals so that I can get the best out of my running. 
    Half-marathon goal:  Just to get to the finish line and experience that runners high. 

• Options

Hi, I have been running since I was at school, but have recently got more serious after a bad stress fracture in in 97 scared me off for a while.

I have two small children and work full-time. I think you should pick me for three reasons. One I could really do with a proper schedule, which maximises the time available to me. Second, I did my first marathon (in Las Vegas) in December in 4 hours 10, but did 10 minute miles the first half as I was worried that I would `burn out'. I suppose my goal is 1 hr, 45min or less for the half, but I need help in pacing and knowing what my `maximum' race pace is. My final reason is that, although I love running., I could do with the motivation as I have recently moved back to the UK and am without my running buddies.

Thanks - here is hoping!!

• Options

Woke up with a stonking hangover one cold November morning 4 years ago to find a CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR THE FLORA LONDON MARATHON mag on my door mat!! very sobering indeed! However not being one to shy away from a challenge I erm!! quickly, well eventually embarked on the set training program and so began my indoubtable life long love affair with running.

Having a young son at school full time and no job meant I luckily had all the time in the world to adhere to the 'Perfect world' training plan they redcommended and apart from a broken heart, a lousy bout of flu and hitting the age of 40 in the intervening months I completed my first and only marathon in 4hrs 30mins WITH might I add good hair and full makeup!!

I would love chance to run in the great North Run as

• Options

Once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was nearly a good runner.

Now I am older, more rotund and just pretending run, about 50 mins on a weekedna d around 30 mins duirng the week with no goals or motivation. 

My best half marathon time was behind the late Benson Masha in 1985 & if I could get within twice his time then it would make a happy man very old!

Tony Hutchinson 

• Options

WHY ME!!!

Woke up with the hangover from hell one cold November about morn about 4yrs ago to find a CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR THE FLORA LONDON MARATHON mag on my door mat!! Oh bugger what had I done!! I was only keeping up the Jones' (my neighbour ran the previous year.. well if he can do it!) However not being one to shy away from a challenge I quickly, well eventually embarked on the set training program and so began a life long love affair.... with running, not the neighbour!

I tried hard to stick rigidly to the 'Perfect world' training plan recommended and apart from a broken heart, a lousy bout of flu and hitting the age of 40 in the intervening months I completed my first and only marathon in 4hrs 30mins WITH might I add, good hair and full makeup!!

This was 4 pairs of running shoes,3x mp3 players, 5 water bottles and 1 ipod ago.. Since then I've completed 2 half marathons but had to turn down the milage due to a dodgy hip last year, have since had physio and am now back upto 10miles so raring to go for another half marathon.
    Have always run alone so would relish some support, help and input from more experienced runners. I am open to inspiration.
    I would love to run the Great North Run; as a Northerner exiled in sunny Brighton It would be something of a home coming.. and it would my Mum so proud!!
    Pick Me!!!

• Options
    Why me?

I started running about a year ago after a volunteer trip to Aftica where I decided to start my own charity called the Neema Trust Kenya. The trust is to build a school in the western regions of Kenya for orphans in poor agricultural villages. Myself and seven other volunteers decided to raise awareness and funds by doing challenges such as running a marathon, doing a bikeathon and swimming the channel. The first challenge is the marathon.

I have only trained to run a 10k race so far and am running in the London 10k on the 6th of June. I have got by so far with advice from some other runner friends and some help from gym instructors but I think I need someone to push me/ train me for the next step. A half marathon is the next step and I think I need some professional help to get me started and help me to complete it in a good time.

The Great North Run has been a target for me ever since I started running I have friends who have completed it and have told me what great fun it was. I never thought that I would get this far in any sport and would relish a chance to take is further.

I aim to raise £10,000 in time for the London Marathon in 2009, so i could use all the help I can get. I am very motivated, positive and hard working If I won this package, I would definitely use it and enjoy it to the full!

Thanks

• Options

After suffering in the heat of the Flora London Marathon in 2007 my motivtion for long distance running has declined. I have ran in a few short races this year but would love to participate in a structured training programme and enjoy the Great North Run.

I love the atmosphere at the GNR, for me the sight of all those thousands of runners ahead of me on the bridge over the Tyne is unbeatable, to see so many people fit and enjoying themselves is wonderful.

I have been running since just before my 40th birthday 9 years ago, my first race was the ladies Race for Life in Chester and I haven't looked back since, although I do need a goal and winning this prize would help me with that.

I would love to run the GNR in 2 hours.

• Options

Evening all

I would also like to support CC2 who put herself forward last night.A very worthy candidate alongside Roslyn.

• Options
    Mike Yates I have never run the Bupa Great North Run, though I have always wanted to – my mum claims to have seen me in the coverage one year (weird!). I have been running since 1996, I decided to replace my habit for cigarettes with a more healthy pursuit since my Dad became very unwell, due to smoking.  10 years later my Dad died leaving a hole in our family. I have done 30+ half’s, 7 full-marathons and many 5 and 10k’s, and consider running my sanity and salvation.  I am due to run the New York marathon this year, in November, to raise money for the Motor Neurone Disease charity, who did so much to support our family as my Dad faded away.  Some of our family are making the journey with me, he had lived and worked in New York many years ago. I have been training hard since January, ditching the car to run and cycle to work each day, and I have discovered swimming as a great way to cross-train thanks to Runnersworld.  Also, not easy with a young family! Winning this prize would mean everything to me: a first for me in the GNR, as well as being a boost in my ultimate goal of a PB in New York – in memory of Terry. Thanks for this opportunity to try Runnersworld.
  • Options

Name: Kirstie Morrison (or Cranky Kirstie, depending how well the trainings going!)

I think I've got a lot of potential and I'm ready to train with level-headedness  (which is kind of new to me) and dedication to prove it. I'm no longer embarrassed to say that I want to see just how far I can go.

According to my fellow club members, I'm a bit of a dark horse. But with the highs come the lows. When I fade against more experienced competition, I let it get to me too much. The PBs are never enough: I could have always given more, trained harder, recovered better. I look at people like Holly Rush (like me a TeamBath AC member and another latecomer to distance running) and think 'why not?'. What is there to stop me from achieving if not myself?

I've only been distance running for a couple of years.  I've always trained haphazardly and I've always been my own worst critic. I've run 2 half marathons (PB 97mins), 1 marathon (3 hrs 39 mins - with a hip injury from an inflatable matress!), a Bupa 10k (PB 43 min 21) and a couple of legs of relay races. I've always held myself back but I'm no longer afraid of failing.

I 'd set a goal of running sub 90 mins for Bath Half Marathon 2009, using Bristol Half in September as a test. Maybe I should be aiming for proving myself in Newcastle?

I've got four years until London 2012... 

• Options
    I started running last year - I had tried to run race for life twice before but failed miserably. So I followed a plan and ran the whol 5k in around 31 mins. By now I had got the bug I carried on running and did 10k at Castle Howard and 10k Abbey Dash. I have struggled all my life losing weight and putting it back on. Since I started running I lost 2 and half stones and kept it off since October that is a big first for me.

I decided I wanted to try and run the GNR because I was 50 in May. I was pleased to get a place but then the panick set in will I be able to do it. my Mum died 6 years ago after suffering with illness for years due to obesity, she had diabetes and lots of other illness all connected. So running keeps the weight off and keeps me healthy. My Father died of a heart attack at the age of 63 and both my Mother and Father in law died of cancer. So I want to be able to prove I can run a half marathon both to keep me fit and healthy and to help raise money to help others and prove I am not past it at 50!

At the moment I feel it is a big challenge I have just done Race for Life on the Saturday and 10k leeds on the sunday the same weekend i did the 5k in 29 mins and 10k in 71mins not sure what I can do the GNR but I would love a proper training plan to help me get through to the end my main mission is to finish!.
  • Options

Name Clare Byrne

Hi, I started running about a year ago after losing weight and wanted to keep it off (despite the chocolate!) and a friend was talking about a 10 mile race, and guess what I said I would do it with her. I had never run further than 3 miles so the challenge was set. I ran it in 1hr 33 and developed the race bug! Since last September I have competed in a few 10 K & 10 mile races and my biggest achievement was completing my first half marathon this year in Bournemouth in just over 2 hours.

I was really envious of my sister completing the GNR last year and she said the atmosphere was amazing and was desperate to take part, and got in through ballot. However, as my current role is caring for people with heart disease I am going to raise money for BHF. Raising the money will not be the challenge but the goal I have set finish in sub 1hr 50.

I currently run with a club and have seen a big improvement but would relish the chance of having proper training to improve my stamina and speed. Choose me so I can do my sponsors proud and help save lives.

• Options

Name : Gary Sanders

Running History: I only started running last July due to the floods in Gloucestershire in which my Gym was closed. However i wish i had started running earler in my life. Since then i have joined a running club almost  Athletes and completed the Bath Half Marathon in 2 Hrs 19 mins. in March 2008. I now hope to contine with training specifically Half marathons.

Half Marathon Goal: To complete a Half in less than 2 Hrs with a view to continued progress in my training.

Why you should train me:   I feel that the GNR will be a great inspiration to me and would enable me to cleary get better at running and improve overall. i am also very determined and will continue to run in local Halfs and 10 ks regardless of the out come.

• Options

Name:  Michelle Fairclough

Running History:  Before this I hadnt ran since approx 1989 at school.  Jan 1st 2007 - found myself a size 20 and 16.5 stones (photos to prove this are quite revolting).  This really opened my eyes and it was a major turning point, ran out the front door, got 100yds and stopped. Once my poor muscles allowed me to walk again 3 days later I did the same, slowly increased to half a mile with 2 walk breaks, come June 07 entered race for life 5k, managed it in 35 mins - 1 walk break.  In Jan 2008 joined local running club, did Gt Manchester run 10k in 52.38 no stops. Now weigh 11.5 stones and a size 12/14.  Cool !

Half Marathon target: 1.50.  Ive ran 10 miles in 1.32 so a big step but with training not impossible.

Why train me? - I have the determination to improve but  I need thorough training to help me keep going at a good pace after 8 miles as I seem to slow right down to 10 min miles pace and this really bugs me ;o)  Id love to do the GNR but was unsuccesful in the ballot

• Options

Name : nigel marley

Running History:    I ran the great north last year. i loved the atmosphere and the course was fantastic. i started running in 05 to loose weight then started racing 06 . last year i ran 72:55 at the great north and this year i ran 2:36 at london.

Half Marathon Goal: i would do anything to run close to 70 but a pb would be great.

Why you should train me:   i think if i had the right support and guidence i could achieve a lot more. after running the great north last year a return trip this year would be fantastic. i train hard but maybe not as effectively as i could with the correct help. being an apprentice plumber i cant afford to go on my own steam

• Options

NAME :- Emma Sockett

RUNNING HISTORY :-  I started running at the end of January 2007 as I had, thinking it would be easy, agreed to run a 10k in the middle of February. After only a couple of weeks training I did the race in 1.01, feeling really proud and on a massive high. image   From there I have ran at least twice a week and done 3 half marathons.

I would love to be able to do a half marathon in under 2 hours, my best time yet is 2.10.

Why you should choose me :-  To have the knowledge, support and expertise of the "professionals" would be a once in a  lifetime opportunity.  The GNR would be a great Half Marathon, I may even, with all the right training, give some of the top athletes a run !! for their money !! image If only !!

I can't wait to soak up that atmosphere and achieve that goal of a sub 2.00hr half marathon.

• Options
    I nominate Liverbird - But not sure about her request for a punch & judy boxing match with me at each Mile. It may interfere with my 1hr 30 goal