Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    I reakon we will prob know the same time we find out about who won the t shirt comp. LOLimage
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Starting to wish I'd pimped up my "entry" a bit - now the time has come, I've realised how much I'd like to do this! Somehow, I don't think declaring myself "nothing special" will have put me top of the shortlist!! image

• Options

joddly - I don't think you are the only one.

I wish I pimped mine up aswell.

Deep down I know I aint gonna win, so trying not to think about it, but I can't think 'what if' and I really want to win.

• Options

Deep down I agree - but if I had won then I wouldn't have to decide which event to enter this autumn. I am based in teh Midlands so everywhere is close enough to get to. I can't decide whether to do a challenge like the Langdale half or something a bit kinder like Cardiff or the Great East run.

If only RW had told me for definite that I was a competition reject then I would have no excuses why I can't make a decision!!!

• Options

Here we are, all trying not to think about it and desperately wanting to be picked... I have to keep coming back to check if there's been any news as it's driving me mad!! image

Let's hope we don't have to wait much longer... At least I know there are loads of people who want it just as bad as I do so I can only be happy for who ever gets a place (be even happier if I was one of them though)! image

• Options

Sorry to keep you in suspense -  all will be revealed in due course. As per my previous post though, probably not as quickly as some of you would like!

Thanks for bearing with us image

• Options
    what about the t-shirts Catherine...
  • Options

How hard can it be? Have you tied up Farnie, Catherine?

*imagines Catherine whipping Farnie's backside into submission*image

Yes you will do it! Take one for the team......image

• Options

you'd think that we're all grown ups and that we'd have learnt some patience by now!!!

At least  we know that we're not totally out of the running - and surely we get some bonus points for being so keen image (nudge nudge Catherine!!)

• Options
    Why is it that even though I never win anything I still hold onto the hope that I will one day.  Perhaps if I entered something that I didn't really want, then I may actually win it.
  • Options

Woooo Hooooo I've won!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

(Only joking, just wanted to add to the paranoia - I've only ever won a toaster and that was 17 years ago)  

• Options
    I won a toaster the other month in the work raffle. Would have been happy but wanted the single malt and already have 3 of the dam things. Due to various house moves the last couple of years if anyone wants one or a kettle I'm your man. image
  • Options

Reading your post DG made my blood run cold for a minute there...image

And I'm not the jealous type....image

• Options
    image I throught you were just the nutter type?
  • Options

I won a jar of sweets when I was 6 in the school fair. You had to guess how many were in it and I guessed 139. There were 141.

I can still remember how excited I was when they called my name out! "It's me! It's me!" I yelled as I legged it like an absolute loony up to the front to collect my prize!

Now you might have been forgiven for thinking that I was sick that night, munching on all those e-numbers, but no....

When I got home, my mum said "you are going to share those, aren't you?"image

I was about to split them with my brother, when she said "with everybody"....

By "everybody" she meant next door's kids, who, (like us) never got sweets! Next door to us there were SIX KIDS!!image

141 divided by 8 is 17 sweets each!

I hated my mum for weeks!image

• Options

Cake - jealous, high maintenance foot stamping, tantrum throwing pain in the ass type!

You've read my FB haven't you?image

• Options

I only started running last year for a Race for Life, and it was a blinding revelation to me that I could run, breathe at the same time, and survive for more than 20 minutes doing this thing.  I have fallen totally in love with running, to the point where I’m becoming a bit weird.  I have a really hard, stressy job teaching special needs kids, and running has become my escape, my anger management, and my precious time when I feel both truly ‘me’ and really, really alive –I told you I was getting weird!

I’m running the Chippenham Half Marathon in September, and would love to run in under 2:15, but I don’t know if I can, as I’ve never run a Half before,  and I’m actually quite old now. 

There is so much I don’t know about running, so much you could teach me, so many new ways to find out what this body can really do when it’s pushed.  Please let me.

• Options

Running is great fun Sue, and it makes you feel so alive when you are just out enjoying the countryside and scenery. A few years back I started running to lose weight. I did race for life and felt pretty similar to you - its an amazing revelation. Since then I have run Robin Hood Half, Silverstone half and Edinburgh marathon plus a few shorter distances in between.

My advice would be to keep going and to make sure you enjoy it - there is nothing worse than ruining your motivation by pushing yourself to do something you don't fancy doing. If I had planned a tempo run and felt like doing a longer easier run then that's what I would do instead. In my (totally non-expert) mind, it is far better to do something, even if it wasn't in the original plan.Maybe my fluid atitude isn't the one which will make you an elite athlete, but it has worked for me and I have never suffered from a running injury. 

Persevere, increase your miles and runs steadily as you've got time to build up to september, make a simple schedule (there are loads of examples on this website) and enjoy it!!

Not sure if that's right - what does anyone else think? 

• Options

This is so typical ... another deadline missed!  Is it too late to add my plea? Oh well here goes anyway...

Running history: I've done the last few Race for Life's and last year did Powderham 10k in 1h20m my first one. Since then nothing. I got back into running again in May and have joined 2 clubs, one a local running club and the other a womens network club, and last week managed 3 miles in 39.04 mins - my fastest ever!!

Why should you train me?: Basically, I think I would be your challenge! Actually, this year I have promised myself to continue with my running and not just do the Race for Life events and stop again. I am 43 with two small children under 5, an extra stone and a half and a history of depression that I've battled with over the last 10 years. I am finally starting to believe in myself and the self satisfaction I get from a half hour run with the club is spurring me on to seek more goals. If you have faith in me, I won't let you down, but I WILL need several kicks up the proverbial to start me off!!!!!!!!!!

Goal: To be able to run the distance and make my little people proud of their mum.

• Options
    RW - can't you just train all of us? There are so many good stories and reasons for people wanting to be trained!! image
  • Options
    Why not join a running club?
  • Options
    Laura - take a good look at the site there are plenty of training plans and hints they even provide ones for you to download to a garmin that tells you virtually everything you need to know, just about tells you which foot to put where and when image
  • Options

LauraLou - Robin Hood half fits into my training plan. What's it like?

Trying to persuade Mr LB to do it, as he's getting a bit to used to his year off running! image

• Options
    LB - the nantwich tri also fits into your training plan!!.
  • Options
    JP - No LB can't do the tri - she's got to be my support crew.  If I get a puncture, she's going to fix it for me image
  • Options

I'm in charge of Jelly Babies and clapping for DG too! image

*puts puncture repair kit on the shopping list for Tescos*

• Options
    DG - you could get her to blow the tyres up with all the hot air that comes out of her image
  • Options

Well, I am hot.........image

• Options
    That was the theory I was working on - you could take her with you to IMCH instead of a hairdryer!!!!