so there

• Options

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVI050309135031PIC.jpg

Me and my LS.

Aaaahhhh.

I'd say its mighty refreshing! 

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to Footpather. She works really hard at all her activities and her recent charity bike ride shows that she has grit and determination. I'm sure that a structured training plan would help her achieve her half mara goal.
  • Options

Just over 2 years ago, I thought I had it all - just married, new job, new house... but life is never simple. It throws challenges at you just when you thought you had it all planed. And that's what happened to me.

...It was just another Monday morning, that changed my life - a persistent nagging cough that I've been ignoring for months, turned into a terrbile chocking blood spittig cough - I was later to find out that I was suffering from TB, a multidrug resistant form, killing milions of people each year.

But I chose to fight, I chose to walk my first 5K in one of the "Race for Life" events... and that was only the beginning. London 10 K, Cardiff Half-Marathon  and Hampstead Heath Midsummer 10 K runs, they all encompassed my will to overcome my ilness. I am fit now and on my way to Berlin Marathon in September just as I am turning 30! And it makes me feel GREAT!

My goal is to make my 30th birthday a day to remember by enjoying my marathon, no matter how long is going to take me.

The prize at stake would offer me a fantastic experience and at the same time the opportunity to combine the element of sports science with my "DIY training plan". And as important, the chance to tell the world my story and how running changed my life.

Cristina

• Options
    2 years ago following what was then an exhausting and ardous 3 mile run I made the decision to run the Great North Run and so began my training!!

Sept 30th 2007 after numerous trips to my physio with numerous ankle and achilles problems I completed the GNR in 2hrs 16min. I was on top of the world and from then on I have got the running bug!!

I still struggle with injuries and often feel I am not a born runner however I can't get rid of the buzz of finishing a good run and feeling fantastic if a little tired!!

I can't wait to do this years GNR.

Good luck to everyone taking part.

Rob
  • Options

As a schoolboy  I would always take the shortcut on crosscountry runs as an opportunity to have a fag (smoke). It was quite a shock to my system therefore that many years later, at age 50 and after a lifetime as the archetypal couch potato, that I entered a half marathon and discovered that not only did I enjoy it but also that I was pretty good. So much so that at age 57 I ran the FLM in 3.14, and my PB for a half was sub1.27.

But that was 10 years ago when my legs were as good as new and since then I've always overdone training in an attempt to get back to where I was with the inevitable resultant injury. I've always said if I ever ran over 2 hours for a half I'd pack up. The last one I did was 1.55 so now I only run 10ks rather than risk it. I'd love the opportunity to train with the RW team and feel with disciplined guidance I've got some very good times left, and would like the chance in the GNR for others of a similar age (67) to think "if he can do it there's a chance for me!".  

• Options
    <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

For the last few years I have taken part in Race for Life, finishing in around 40 minutes or so, and promised myself I would take up running properly and get better. Last year I decided to actually do something about it and started training for the Edinburgh Marathon. The friend I was training with got pregnant and had to pull out – I half-heartedly carried on and completed the marathon in a poor time (6hrs 58mins) with an injury. The story was pretty much the same for the Great North Run – half-hearted training, unsure of what I was really doing, managed to get round in a poor time (3hrs 17mins) and with an injury.

This year I want to do it differently, partly to give me something to focus on while coping with the stresses of becoming self-employed, and actually get round in a much better time (ideally 2hrs 20mins) and with no pain! And the pain bit is important as I am going to be bridesmaid for my sister 10 days after the Great North Run! To be part of a team would be great – I found it rather lonely taking part last year, which might sound strange given how many people took part!

If I won this package, you would be helping to prove that overweight (by 5 stone), unfit and unsure of themselves people can still enter and complete one of the greatest races in Britain.

• Options

My Name is Karen Watson, In December 2006, aged 31 I was diagnosed with breast cancer which was both advanced and agressive. I have since had chemotherapy, a mastectomy and radiotherapy, and fingers crossed I am, and will continue to be cnacer free!

The last part of my treatment is breast re-construction surgery which can only happen when I am fitter and have lost about a stone in weight! In order to do this I have decided to take up running again. I last ran in 2004 when I completed the Great North Run, not sure what happen afterwards but I think I just fell out of love with running.

I would love the opportunity to join the Lucozde Sport team, and I really believe with their help I could get fit enough to improve my last performance in the race - which from memory was some time over 2 hours, I would love to complete it in the 2 hour region...

If I dont get in, I wish all the rest of the runners the best of luck!

xx

• Options
    Name: Gemma

Brief running history: Been running regularly (5 times per week) for a few years now, getting a bit more serious each year. I joined my local running club a few months ago, and am now averaging 35 miles per week. In a moment of madness, I entered the GNR (my first half marathon) and was ‘lucky’ enough to get a ballot place, and have since pledged to also run for charity.

Reason why we should train you: I love to run and the GNR is my ultimate running goal this year. I run rain or shine (also partial to snow, hail and wind!), am absolutely committed (aka perfectionist)...and I promise to finish with a smile! The prize package would really make the GNR a highlight of my year and I’d love for RW to be that extra voice in my head screaming that bit louder than my legs going uphill at mile 10.

Half-marathon goal: Enjoy it...oh, and sub 2 hours (although the dreamer in me says 1h50!)

Thank you and good luck to all.
  • Options
    Vote Farnie and BTS
  • Options
    I think that I should win this even though I have only just started running and I've only just really got into it but I am really enjoying it, I have run in all the cross country course's my school has offered me and did a 10k race in 52 minutes exactly, i really am enjoying running and hope to keep running throughout my life!
  • Options
    Brief Running History: I have a shorter history than  those new Russian countries....image

I always wanted to run the London marathon before the big four 0. Applied 3 times without luck, so after the big 40 I did a charity place for The Blue Cross and raised £3500. Did all my training on my own and did my knees in and had to have surgery on both knees, so I gave up running.  But I starting again last Sept. as my knees were fine but my waistline was not. I saw the bottom of a pint glass far to often. So In april this year after another london misfire I went to Paris instead but was not fully trained and walked a lot of the second half but beat my London time by 16 seconds - 4 hours 59, rather than 5 hours

Reason why we should train you:  I think I did OK with my solo training last year and hardly missed a single session until tapping started and running stopped.Opps. I've joined a running club but work keeps getting in the way. But I keep trying, it's very demoralising after working so hard last time only to stop. I need a cattle prod to get me out of the pub and get my little legs moving. 

GNR would be great as my brother lives in Newcastle and it would be great so see him.

Half-marathon goal: - To go under 2 hours would be an excellent achievement for someone as slow as me!!The 5  hour marathon man needs pushing but I know I can break that magic 2 and then go to Dublin on October 27th and break the 4.30 marathon.

p.s HELP ME PLEASE!!

• Options

Name  Sally and I am a plodding veteran at 52

Started jogging once a week about 3 years ago as I also went to a gym twice a week as well.  It took me 18 months to give up the gym and run 3 times a week.  Joined a local running club to vary my training and met lots of new friends.  I have done a few 5ks and they are not a race for the older ladies as I usually am about last.  10ks I have done better and my best time is 56.57 although I think I could do a bit better but think I am to old  (and I cant rid myself of this thought).  I have read tips on how to improve as an older runner and I want to believe and achieve this. My dream would be to get the chance to run the FLM.

I have run 2 half marathons this year one in 2hours and 2 minutes and another in 2hours and 7 minutes the second one being a hilly one.  I would love to be able to complete a half marathon in under 2 hours.  I have found I run out of enery at 10 to 11 miles and I just can't work out my nutrition and diet before and during a race and I am sure advice from lucozade would help me greatly.  Without help and encouragement this goal seems elusive and distant although I am sure with your help and advice I could achieve my goal.

Good luck to everyone runniong the GNR and I will apply for a place next year if I don't get in.

• Options

Name :  Kat

Brief running history:  It is pretty brief.  I used to bunk off school rather than get lost during cross country to avoid the humiliation.  Suddenly at the age of 39 I developed plantar fasciitis and got really cheesed off that I couldn't do what little I was doing to stop adding to the wieght I gained with my kids and a sedentary desk job.  By a stroke of sheer luck I was friends with someone who had had similar problems and after a couple of abortive visits to the doctor I resolved to take the radical step of paying someone myself to try and sort it all out.  Suddenly, last year, at the age of 40 I discovered that one of my legs was longer than the other.  Armed with my orthotics the pain in my feet went away and I quietly sobbed as I realised that I would probably never wear heels again.  At the same time a colleague - a year older than me exactly - we shared a birthday died from stage 4 breast cancer.  I resolved to give this running thing a go.  I'm still giving it a go - I like it  - I don't think I'll ever be fast  but as long as I get those moments that keep me going I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life.  I've done a few races now 5K's and 10K's  - I'm mid to the last in the pack but I still think it's a bloody miracle that I'm taking part so I don't care as long as I don't double my time or get injured.

Reason why we should train you:

I could do with some attention  - I've thought of joining a club but as I heard a tale ( from ex members ) of my local club dropping some poor overweight unfit woman joining the "beginners " section - she ended up walking home alone in tears.  I think they might be a bit elite for me - she sounded like me last year or even after the winter this year.  There are  other clubs nearby but  I don't really like the idea of driving to do a run.

Half-marathon goal:  To do it will be an acheivement - not to walk too much if at all.

• Options

Two votes for me! Im a shoo in image 

Sorry if I seem a little optomistic, it must of been that refreshing Lucozade Sport I just had. I guess you could say after a truly refreshing sip of Lucozade Sport I feel like I could do anything, run a million miles (thats nearly 78000 half marathons!!), climb the highest mountain (thats like running half a half marthon verticaly up!), swim across the widest sea (thats like swimming a very long way!). Then still have energy left to laugh in the faces of any competitors who stupidly choose a different energy drink and then collapsed of exaustion after a couple steps. And all that from one sip of Lucozade Sport. Imagine what you could do after having a whole bottle.

Now combine that with the outstanding training tips and articles in my favourite magazine, Runners World, I know I'm going to do amazing in the Bupa Great North Run. Did someone say sub one hour?

• Options
    I have been training and racing off and on for the past 22 years (I'm now 31)so you could say that I'm passionate about running. As a kid I competed for Elswick Harriers (Newcastle Upon Tyne) but for the last 10 years or so I have been training on my own and making up my own training schedules with varying degrees of success! I have been living and working abroad for the past few years and in 2006 I ran the Dead Sea Marathon, Jordan, in 3 hours 18 mins. The following year I had a baby and did my first race when she was 3 and a half months old which was a slow 5km. I am a teacher, now living in Oman and have to train at 5am in the morning, as temperatures can soar up to 45 degrees in the summer (I could provide some amazing pictures of me training in the mountains of Oman!). I am eager to do another marathon and am hoping to do the Dubai marathon in January 2009. I was delighted when I discovered the date of the Great North Run was October 5th as it falls in my half term, and as I haven't done the GNR since 1996 I am itching to compete and experience the amazing atmosphere and it's also an excuse to come back home to Newcastle.

I was delighted with my marathon result in 2006 as I did all my training on my own in difficult cultural and environmental conditions(I was living in Cairo, Egypt at the time), and feel that with proper training and nutritional advice I can make big improvements from 5km and up. I would like to think that I can break 1 hour 30 minutes for the GNR.
  • Options

I would be honoured if I won a place to run this half marathon. I have taken part in 3 half marathons which have all been hilly and have taken part in 4 full marathons with 2 more this year. I have raised nearly £9,000 by myself for charity and this could takeme over the £10,000 which I would be delighted with.

Go on let me have a place in this magic half marathon.

• Options
    I have a story about overcoming a problem that is as unique and personal to me as running is to each of us. I have been running for 25 years and I had a dream to run a marathon in less than 3 hours - my best time is 3 hours dead (twice!). In 1985 I noticed that I felt giddy when running and after medical investigation the prognosis was a heart murmur and low blood pressure which resulted in a slow run or I would just be sick and fall over . I found this hard - my goal was within my grasp and now the faster I ran and fitter I was the worse the giddiness.I could not achieve my my goal so I stopped running . It took time for my frustration to subside and I realised that the problem was not my condition but my goal. Instead I set a goal to run 50 marathons or 1/2 marathons by the time I was 50 years old . I have completed 43 of them and will do the 44th this weekend. All the other runs to reach the goal are scheduled but my dream is to complete my challenge in the Great North Run instead of the Congleton 1/2 marathon , with due respect to that run! It would be great to be trained to run across the finish line in under 1 hr 45 – a milestone I cannot normally achieve, without feeling giddy.

• Options

Hey, do you want to feel energetic?

Then try Lucozade Sport, for people who need gratuitous amounts of energy.

Have you tried new Lemon Citrus flavor? Its like adding Lemons (and citrus) to an electrical storm.

Sports. You’ll be good at them.

Its an energy drink for men. Menergy.

You’ll be so fast Mother Nature will be like slooooow down, and you’ll be like F*%$ you and kick her in the face with you energy legs.

You’ll have so much energy. Just running all the time.

Power running, power lifting, power sleeping, power dating, power eating, power spawning babies.

You’ll have so many babies. 400 babies.

In short, DRINK LUCOZADE SPORT WHILE READING RUNNERS WORLD

• Options

It would be such an amazing experience to stand on the start line of the world's biggest half marathon, knowing that you had had the best preparation possible. A once in a life-time opportunity to have this kind of assistance, to help you achieve present goals, and carry the knowledge to continue performing in the future.

As someone who just enjoys 'sport', I began running in 1995, at the age of 44. This was after football and cricket activity had ceased in my twenties, due to work commitments. I found the running exhilarating, however, injuries and illness meant my participation was always being interupted. In my early fifties, I posted some reasonable times, 10k - 40.49, half-marathon - 90.31.

Over the time I have persevered, and after eleven months of inactivity in 2007, I was able to start running again in December. It is now July 3, and my training has been continuous. The new regime suits my body and I am able to achieve on average 40 miles a week, with two quality sessions and a long run, with easy runs and rest in between, as I feel necessary.

My goal is very simple to keep healthy and running, well into my later years. More immediately, I would get great satisfaction in breaking 40 minutes for 10k and 90 minutes for the half marathon.

The thought of having a prepared training schedule, with ongoing support, nutrition assistance and the opportunity to meet and run with an Olympic athlete, is just amazing. 

I also see it as a challenge to both Steve Smythe and Lucozade  Sport, to help me keep improving and achieving sub 90 minutes, due to my health issues, which are diet related. 

• Options

I don't know if now would be the appropriate time to say this, but I can't hold it in any longer.

I love each and everyone of you beautiful people at Runners World. 

• Options

Kevin Ryan

My attitude was always 'why run for the bus when you can wait for the next one?' but 5 years ago a 'friend' suckered/blackmailed me into a couple of months of training and a 10K. It was ok. There may even have been a few glimpses, moments, of enjoying it. But then life got in the way. Nothing dramatic or anecdote worthy, just normal life. Anyway my nascent running career petered out.

Fast forward to this Spring. I've drifted past 40, seemingly gained a pound for every one of those Winters, perfected my sedentary lifestyle and been rewarded by adult onset asthma. I dig out my old running shoes and try to sort things out. But it doesn't seem as straightforward as putting one foot in front of the other. Some weeks I try to do too much, others I never leave the sofa. When am I supposed to fit it in? And how do I finish a session not bent double gasping for breath? A little advice, guidance, motivation, encouragement (maybe a little stick) would be nice.

I'd like to make it round the Great Northern without resorting to walking, but mostly I'd like to make running a regular part of my everyday life, to stretch those moments of enjoying it into something more...Hell, I'd like to feel like I was actually running instead of just shuffling

• Options

Oh and Kate Dew says she votes me as well, which means 3 Votes

Hurray!!! 

• Options

Name: Michelle Meakins

Brief running history:erm not much, only started running this year in prep for the GNR. Have been training 3 times a week since jan as well as cross training. I am doing the GNR for charity so it is a good incentive to train properly and achieve it! I am excited that its my first half marathon and I am doing well so far, so I hope to complete the course with no injuries and with my head held high.

Reason why we should train you: Although I have always enjoyed many different sports, I have only started running this year, and along with it I have trained myself, using info from the web, friends advice and that of forums on the internet. I think I am doing well so far, and I have learnt alot from what I have achieved, however having professional help/guidance to help me for this last 3 months can only serve me well and really help me achieve my goal. I want to run the GNR and be sure I am at my absoloute best for it, both for my personal fitness and my charity! Go on, you know u want to help me train!!

Half-marathon goal: to finish! and to finish with no injuries - oh and with a big smile on my face  and a wad of cash in my charities bank account :-0)

• Options

Brief running history:

On and off since in school, but not competitively since left school. I do some sports every day, and I had been just running for training. I have done some 10k runs and fun runs

Reason why we should train you:

I would like to see how much structured training plan could help someone like me. I have always been quite fit, and do some sports every day, but after when I could not train for 6months, I have not been able to come back to the previous level of fitness. I have very strong motivation to train, and I would like to improve with every race. 

Goal:

To run under 1:45, and to train effectively without injuries. I also would like to learn how diet/different food helps for training.  

• Options
    john byrnejohn byrne ✭✭✭

name john byrne

when i was lighter and fitter had a best of 1hr 26 for mansfield 1/2 and the crowning glory for me 3hr3 in amsterdam for the full this was about 4yrs ago i have run about 20 marathons and 8 half marathons

reason for training me im 37 and work shifts as such in the last few yrs i have gained a lot of weight currently 110kgs on road runs i used to impress now i get sniggers my first son will be 1 in july i want to get back to my best to not only to make him proud but for me to get back to peak fitness with your help

1hr 40 is my target which with your help i WILL hit i just need the right training advice

• Options
    Forgot to add in my initial post that my birthday is 5th October so what better way to spend it!!
  • Options

Hi guys

Thanks to all of you who have both entered and nominated -  all your pitches were of such a high quality (and all so deserving) we sure have some tough decisions ahead of us.

We'll be announcing the winners in due course so stay tuned over the next couple of weeks to find out who will be our lucky six!

• Options
    Super, I look forward to reading about BtS, Torque Steer, Tish and the 3 others shortly image
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Pick Bts, Catherine, and I guarantee those photos will never see the light of day image