Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    Does that mean we might have to wait longer than tomorrow for the results
  • Options
    A vote for TS would be a great vote and I already have done.
  • Options

Probably too late, but I forgot to put my half marathon goal: 2hrs 15 probably realistic but 2 hours would be fab

• Options
    I still think you should give it a go Catherine......!!!
  • Options
    Farnie, farnie, farnie, Don't think I have a chance they probibly think my one was joking image
  • Options
    RichyC wrote (see)
    Forgot to add in my initial post that my birthday is 5th October so what better way to spend it!!
     Mine too Richy! It would be a brilliant b'day!!!
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Ooh dear - over 800 posts! So much work to go through them all, Catherine. If I were you, I'd just stick to the first page...

Pick meeeee, pleease!!!
  • Options

Joddy - if I was Catherine I'd stick to the frist 6 posts image .

• Options

Name: Steve Partridge - age 47
    Brief running history: Intermittent runner since the days of green flash and long socks.  Usually run between 6 and 10 races per year nowadays and whilst I enjoy running - I havent joined a running club, (still self analysing that).  Have ran mostly 10K races over the last few years , but this year stepped up to the half marathon ( because I needed to see if I could push myself  to do it).  Followed the RW beginners plan, and have ran 3 half marathons, so far this year , but havent yet got to my personal goal. Reason why we should train you: Its not that I dont think I can get round, its rather the challege of running closer to my limits and if I could get to my time target, I d seriouslty think of stepping up to a full marathon - which would be awesome. With family in the North East - the on the GNR day motivation should be there.
    Half-marathon goal: 1:50 or less

• Options
    Name: Claire Molloy

Run History:I first ran outside a gym and without the aid of a treadmill in June 06, running the Race for Life, after a dear friend from work had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I throughly enjoyed the whoe experience and the bug set in. Unfortunately my friend Wendy died that September but I've continued to run. It hasn't been an easy road to run at times with set backs alone the way including personal ones with the death of my yongest brother, safety ones after being followed on a long Sunday run and ending up at the local police station, and at the moment health ones with trying to get to grips with an overactive thyroid, but still i plod on.

Reasons for help in training: I love my running but am struggling with motivation and a slight lack of confidence. I'd love to experience the of a true professional trainer encouraging and pushing me to achieve what I know I could with the right sort of help. I know I can do better but really could do with the extra boost, not just for me but ot make the last years struggle worth while and so I can hold my head high and say "Yes I did it" and feel good about it.

Goal: To complete a the GNR in 2 hours and actually improve a race time this year plus raise loads of money for BHF for my brother Alistair

RW I'd love this opportunity please really consider me !!!!!
  • Options

Name : Anna Anderson

Run History :  I have had 2 attempts at 10k's coming in around 1hr and respectivley, a couple of 5k's where I have come in 32 mins and 27mins and I am completing my first race for life on the 27th July 2008 where I would like to come in around 25mins.

Reasons for help in training : Well since I started running ( if you can call it that) 4 years ago I just don't seem to have progressed.  I go out a couple of times a week and run for about 10 mins then have to walk.  I go out, plod, come home and feel miserable that I don't seem to have progressed.   

Frankly I find it incredible that I am competitive at work, I challenge others, I stick at my working goals and achieve results - yet my one little hobby just does not pack the same punch. I really really want to break through this complete barrier and stuck in this rutt period, with a goal with perpose, a mission and most of all with the push push push to keeping me going through this mental ( and phisycal ) wall that I seem to have built.

Goal - to complete the GNR with an utterly fantastic amount of pride for overcoming these obstacles and having found myself a new lease of physical and mental achievemnt.

• Options
    My vote goes to Torque Steer. A good candidate for this type of case study. He has a public history of training and racing so the effects of a particular regime should offer genuine insights for many.
  • Options
    In my previous post the regime I referred to was a training regime not the goverment or a particular political system.
  • Options
     I am running the great north run for cancer reseach. Because a dear friend who helped me,when my mum and dad were in hospital together for 3 months,my mum nearly died and my dad did.She was there for me every step of the way. Then she was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly after.My son and I are doing it in her memory and to try to help other people who are going through what julies family is right now.
  • Options

Name: Sarah Lewis (self employed barrister, age 28)

Brief running history: Ran the London Marathon in 2006 (3 hrs 46 mins 20 secs); did the London Triathlon in 2007 (2 hrs 50 mins).  Trained for the Cork Marathon in June of this year but pulled out about a month before due to lack of training in the latter stages of my training programme, but between October and end of March had been running 20 -30+ miles a week.  Last race was the Kingston breakfast run in April - did 16 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes.

Generally enjoy keeping fit and great believer in cross-training for improving overall fitness and keeping training interesting.  My main problem - lack of time and structure in my life in general (see below!)

Reason why we should train you: There is no real mystery as to why my training took a nose dive.  Whilst I steadily trained in 2006 and 2007 as a law student, in April 2008 I finally completed my training and am now a practicing barrister.  As such I am self-employed and work all over London and the south east, at different courts on a daily basis.  One day I can be in Ipswich, the next Reading or Margate.  I may find I have time to train in the morning; it depends how far I have to travel.  Similarly I may have time to train in the afternoon as quite often I will be finished at lunchtime or soon after, but sometimes it will not be until the courts close at 5 and I have travelled back into town.  What does disrupt my training the most is that I cannot guarantee fitting in an evening session as I receive my court papers for the next day at 6pm, which may require several hours of preparation.

I ask to be trained as at the moment I feel as if that as long as I am a practising barrister I will never be able to be very fit again.  I'm sure that is not the case and that there are many people who have unpredictable jobs that cope very well but I ask to be steered so that I can be one of these people.  RW I need salvation!  I don't want my job to take over my life!

Half-marathon goal: To run having prepared thoroughly and trained hard.  Target time: 1 hr 45 mins

(afternote: this is slightly late - my internet connection broke down - I hope this does not invalidate me)

• Options
    ............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Options
    I would love the chance to run the GNR and the thought of the training package to help towards my own goals would be fantastic
    I started running again in august 2007 in preparation for the FLM 2008 as a challenge for my 40th birthday and to eventually get back into running again after a 20 year break,I am now hooked again and boring my family to death,as i want to make up for all the lost years.I want to try to get back towards the fitness i had then or to see if this is possible at least.
    My goals for this year are 10k sub 40mins,
    half marathon sub 90 min.
    marathon sub 3hr30 and ultimately sub 3hrs15mins
    my current pb,s 10k in44mins,half marathon 1hr40,marathon 3hrs53mins all done around 12 hr shifts which split between days and nights,in the process of hopefully joining a local running club to help towards my goals
  • Options
    just sending this so I can cross the notification box, just in case anyone has any news
  • Options
    Good idea Strawberry JAM - I haven't heard (yet) but I guess with the number of responses it will be Tues or Weds at the earliest before we know.
  • Options
    Didn't they say it would take a couple of weeks?
  • Options
    The original blurb said 5th July!
  • Options
    It says July 5th in the terms and conditions too!
  • Options
    Any ideas how we will get notified ? Personal email, names on the forum ?
  • Options

Maybe they were not expecting a high amount of entries. Here is the comment I was talking about:

Catherine RW wrote (see)

Hi guys

Thanks to all of you who have both entered and nominated -  all your pitches were of such a high quality (and all so deserving) we sure have some tough decisions ahead of us.

We'll be announcing the winners in due course so stay tuned over the next couple of weeks to find out who will be our lucky six!

• Options

Although saying that it could simply mean that the winners will be notified as soon as possible and everyone else will be informed in a couple of weeks.

In that case, we aint won. lol image

• Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking that's what they meant too Mike... looks as though we ain't in the lucky six image
    Totally gutted... I guess it was a slim chance anyway, there were SO many great pitches in there... we all wanted it so badly, just glad i didn't have to choose, you'd have to wait a lot longer than a couple of weeks for me to decide who to pick!
  • Options
    I'm pinning my hopes on they weren't expecting as many entries, in which case we're all still in with a shout!
  • Options
    Why do I sonetimes have the tool bar and sometimes not image