Options

Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• Options
    Grace 51

Brief Running History

I am new to running only running outside when I reached that ripe old age of 50. I had always been fit and healthy and probably like most people took it for granted. I went to see my sister run the FLM07. I just loved the whole atmosphere I wanted to be part of it not just a spectator. I sent in my entry for FLM08 still not convinced I could do a marathon. I was determined to do the training following a beginner’s programme of 10 weeks on the treadmill; it was hard work, but got me up and running. I needed a lot of encouragement to run outside but when I did, I never looked back.

I loved going out early in the morning. I was unsuccessful in the 2008 ballot but determination and hope for a place in 2009 kept me going. I entered the BUPA great Manchester run and achieved my goal 10k in under an hour, my time 58:30.

At the moment I am following a Half Marathon training programme. my longest run so far has been 13 miles.

Another “unsuccessful” for the last FLM09 but Iam not giving up. I still have a chance

Reason you should train me

I have been slowly but surely building up my fitness and stamina I think I have done well but I still do not understand good training practice, interval, fartlek, diet gear etc.  I read all the  training plans but sometimes find them hard to follow. Running a marathon is huge for me. I love running but would benefit greatly from professional advice and training. 

Predicted marathon time: I would love to do it in 4:30

• Options

Name: Sarah Morley and Caroline Wreglesworth
    Brief running history: We have been running for about 1 year
    Reason why we should train you:

We are both teachers (Primary)  and recently completed our first half marathon - proudly!  We spend all of our time teaching others and would like some help please!!  We would like some help to improve our times as we don't seem to be getting any faster.  We train when we can and although we are usually very tired as we work long hours, we motivate each other to go out running, even in the pouring rain.  We often enter 10k fun runs at the weekend and would now like to step our running up a gear.  We don't have a place in the marathon but would dearly love one.  We are aged 29 and 52 and compliment each other, we run at a similar speed and with similar stamina and talk all of the way.  We are both interested in other sport, Caroline does keep fit 3 nights a week and Sarah plays for 2 different netball teams.  In Celebrations Assembly at School, we went up on the stage and took our fun run medals.  Afterwards a child who was bright red in the face at the end of play time told us he had been doing laps on the playground to copy our running.  A parent approached us a month later and said we had inspired her and that she had just done her first 5k.  It would seem we are encouraging others and now just need a little help ourselves.  We eat carefully and bring each other blueberries and flapjack on the morning before a run.  We have now started a staff run once a month which, although the pace is sedate, has got people out and exercising who wouldn't normally leave the safety of the classroom.  We teach PE on a daily basis, including a wake and shake in the morning, and run after school sports clubs to give children sporting opportunities who might not otherwise have them.  If we got a place for this training and entry to the marathon, it would not only benefit us, but would have a knock on effect and spread through to our staff and pupils, one of which could be the next Paula Radcliffe!  Please please help us and give us a chance and a place!  Thank you

Predicted marathon time:
    I have no idea but the only half marathon we have done we completed in 2 hours 22 and we are doing another one this Sunday so watch this space ..... 

• Options

Name: Richard Balshaw

Brief Running History: 

I ran a fair bit at school but never really carried it on until I underwent major spinal surgery at the age of 38.  After several operations to get my spine working again the rehabilitation battle was on.  My physiotherapist suggested I may never walk properly again, I feared I may never be involved in sports again that I loved so much, such as football and squash.  Well the contact sports were out for me but after 2 years of pain and misery I began to find my running legs again and after some encouraging treadmill sessions I ventured onto the road.  I joined a running club in November 2007 and was bitten by the running bug – having completed several 10k races and 3 half marathons with my last being the Great North Run in October 2008 (coming in 205 overall) I am ready for the biggest UK marathon event of them all – London!

Reason Why You Should Train Me: 

At my Club I sometimes go out with a small group of quicker runners but I severely lack a structured plan to reach my full potential.  I am a disciplined person who thrives on direction and encouragement and this coupled with the pains of my surgery has given me a mental strength to succeed against the odds.

Predicted Marathon Time: Sub 3 hours

• Options

Name – Andrew Dooley

Running History

I started running 2 years ago and have now run 4 marathons - 4:20, 3:54, 3:41, 3:30.

I run for a small local club and do many races from 5k to half marathon to marathon.

I stopped running at the age of 22 (1979) after a bad car crash.  I had always wanted to run a marathon but obviously not enough at that time!!  Three years ago (2006) after watching the Flora London Marathon on television, I decided to make it happen before the age of 50. Not being as young as I was I had to start from the very beginning.   First I had some veins stripped out of my left leg then I had to lose 3 ½ stone in weight (achieved mostly through running).  I started 24 weeks of training totally on my own and completed my first marathon in Paris in 4:20 in April 2007.  Since then I have joined a local club and have had some help in training get my best time so far of 3:30:48 in Brussels in October 2008.

Reason why you should train me and predicted marathon time

I still feel that there is room for improvement but at 51, time is limited!!  To get better I need the best help I can get – I can guarantee that I will listen and learn in order to achieve my ultimate goal of 3:00.
  • Options

I have been running since 1987. By the time 2009 London Marathon comes round I would have completed 49 marathons. I would love the opportunity to be part of the team so that I can run my 50th Marathon in London in 2009 just 3 weeks before my 50th birthday. I have a personal best marathon time of 3 hours and 2 minutes. I have been a member of Thanet Roadrunners AC since 1987 and have in the past been their race director on a number of occassions.

I compete in races from 10k to Ultra distances. I have completed the London to Brighton in a personal best time of 8 hrs 20 minutes. My ambition for the future is to run the Grand Union Canal Run at the end of May 2009. I am therefore looking to run as many long distance events as posible to assist with my training for that event. I believe that I would be a good choice for one of the marathon places, due to my running experiences. It is a once in a life time opportunity to receive some professional advice from some of the best athletes at Marathon distance. I am totally convinced that the advice and knowledge the coaches will be able to pass onto me would not only improve my ability to run a successful marathon, but also be invaluable in my quest to fulfil my ambition. 

My target for London would be to run sub 3 hours 30

John 

• Options
    Name: Ruth Sloss

Brief running history:I couldn’t even run to the bus stop until after an operation breaking and resetting both feet in 2002.  Post-op, my boyfriend persuaded (nagged & nagged) me to try running with him. We did 10 minutes round the park with an heroic sprint finish as Parkie was locking the gates.  I never looked back.  The race bug bit and I did 10k, 8 miles, a half marathon and after 3 ballot rejections, took a charity place in the 2007 London Marathon finishing in 3hr 47 mins and raising £2,000.  It was everything I wanted it to be and a lot sweatier.

Reason why we should train you: I’m determined, dedicated and running is the only sport I’m vaguely good at (I was the uncoordinated liability no-one wanted on their P.E. team - with this incredible Training-From-Heaven I can strike a blow for geeky kids everywhere!). I only missed a ‘good for age’ time by 2 minutes in 2007, so I’ve potential. And being good for something at my rapidly encroaching age (35 – urgh) would be delightful.   I kept a blog for the 2007 marathon and downloading my pain and random mental gibbering to virtual friends was liberating and hugely motivating (http://www.realbuzz.com/en-gb/users/Ruth Sloss?pageID=1997&blog=3426).  I’m an evangelical running oracle to my fellow runner mates (an obsessive curiosity to my non-running friends). And I was lucky enough to get a 2009 ballot place! Predicted marathon time: 3.40 (I’d love 3.30, but is that hoping for too much?)  
  • Options

Stu (30 yrs)

running is so much like marmite...some days I absolutely love it out there stomping through the woods without a care in the world and then other days its just like whatever... and my times go up and down with my mood! The thing I just don't get about training for something like this is why marathon training schedules are always 14 weeks long!? why not 15, why not 25 weeks!? I have so many questions for your experts....so please enlighten me as to what training is actually all about.... for me its about being honest with yourself, getting out there and going for it....pure and simple.... stuff like fartlek'ing reduces what should be enjoyable to something else entirely... My challenge to the experts is to show me how training schedules can actually make running even more fun, enjoyable and rewarding than it already is! and if they can help me to reach my goal of 3h30m this year then that would be the cherry on the top!!

marathon PB 3h57m (mainly due to a well dodgy stomach after eating too much wholewheat pasta the night before!!! - here's a tip NEVER EAT WHOLEWHEAT!!). half PB 1h37m. 10km PB 43m.

p.s. already got a charity place secure with VICTA!! thanks guys

• Options

Matthew Mason Age 36 ,

Super keen doesnt even come close , my heart fell flat on the floor earlier this month when i recieved my thanks but no thanks letter from the london marathon having had everything crossed in the hope of gaining a ballot place in this my first year of trying , so rather than just accepting it here iam asking , no not asking but begging you guys for the oppurtunity of a lifetime to come play with the proffesionals just for a short while .

Iam a relatively new runner , i did my first half marathon ( great west run) in a time of 1 hr 43 last year  and quickly followed that up this year with plenty of short local runs and three more half marathons great west , torbay and more recentely cardiff in 1 hr 40 despite training well i feel i have a great deal more to give to running despite my busy work schedules iam a chef working long hours and run in the mornings or whenever i can ,a great stress buster , the perfect way to start the busy day  .Iam a proud father of one special little boy and i sadly mourned the loss of my father to cancer some years ago and during the darkest parts of my early morning training runs they both are in my mind during the lows but also during the highs of which there are plenty , i have no doubt that if you were to choose me those  highs would be magnified ten fold and would make an excellent story to re tell for a lifetime .

I am of good character with lots too prove and even more to give . i NEED THE NEXT BIG CHALLENGE AND THIS IT  - GIVE ME THE CHANCE .....

TARGET TIME - whatever my body allows , ill be giving 200%

• Options

Name: Denise Baker  46

Brief Running History: Good Heavens...What a lucky girl I,ve been! Never  will I take my health and injury free running days for granted again ! I started running 12 years ago and am now well and truly addicted,even a 20 miler in rain and wind holds a certain enjoyment. Sad or mad ??

I have completed 3 Flora London Marathons achieving my dream of a sub 4 last year.3.56.07 to be exact!!!

Reason Why We Should Train You: Having achieved my first ever ballot place for 2009 (yippee) I have set myself the demanding but not impossible goal of a GFA time. With your expert advice and support, my major commitment to the training and more importantly a real fear of such public failure imagethere would be a massive incentive to suceed !! Plus I get to write about me and my running to a captive audience. Normally I have to pay my family and friends to listen !!!

Predicted Marathon Time: 3.44

• Options
    Brief running history: started 6 years ago when i became a London cabbie just for a bit of exercise.Entered my first race 18mnths ago and have been steadily improving with each race, am nearly 41 and have just clocked 34:31 for a 10k on a rain soaked muddy surface so there is definately more to come.My best half marathon is 1:19, that was in March but i should be a lot fitter now, i train 6 days a week, about 50 miles and have always used Runners World schedules and pace calculators which have been spot on so far. My predicted marathon time is 2:38 which is probably quicker than my cab!! I currently weigh about 8st 7lb so im looking more like a Kenyan by the day!! It would be great to run London i've heard so much about it from other runners, so good luck to everyone who enters this competition. 
  • Options

Hi My name is Nick (age 37)

Last april i was on a train going to a  show in london, on the day of the marathon. At 7.30am  the buzz on the train was electric, i was hooked and i wasn't even racing opposite me was a guy talking to a complete stranger about predicted times and nutrition. They met on the train and probably never saw each other again but the friendship between them for just 40 minutes was great. This to me was the marathon not the race not the time but the dedication to running the biggest race with complete strangers. My show lasted a few hours and on the way home was the same guy with his medal proudly around his neck ,not in his bag. a proud man. I got home and applied inspired by this one guy.

REASON TO TRAIN ME

i am a complete novice since my entry i have started basic running training at my local gym and i am aware i have a large hill to climb but have  a small target of 5k and will increase to the larger distances over the next few months. I believe that with the right motivation i could finish this race in a good under 5 hour time ( i would like 4.30 ). I feel i could give the new marathon runners the same inspiration that guy did on the train for me and make us all proud to stand on the station with our medals around our necks   

• Options

I would love to take this opportunity to participate in the London Marathon.

I have been running now for around 18 months, i  am 34 years of age & took up the sport after piling on the pounds due to a football injury that sidelined me, my weight soared to about 17 stone, i was smoking upto 40 cigarettes a day & sometimes 60 cigarettes on a weekend i spent most of my time hid away behind my computer & eating takeaways.

I am not sure how it happenened but i think i got fed up of people calling me fat & winding me up over my weight, one day i woke up & decided that's it!

i started training at an old run down arena where i live & worked my way onto the roads, in march 2008 the weight & training had taken it's toll & i had to have an operation on my cartliage, i then entered a 5k which i completed in 22mins & then completed the Leeds 10K run for all in 46 mins, i havn't entered any events recently but i am still training hard, my 10k time now is around 44 minutes.

i am not sure where my running will take me from here but i am enjoying it & looking for a new challenge, this would be a fantastic opportunity for me to take my running  & training to the next level.

• Options

Backing Jovi Runner

Smokin' Chi Monk has said it all really but - this girl is amazing!! She has overcome injuries and setbacks but still stuck by and supported her friends, fellow forumites and local club members with dedication and conviction. She has been through a lot and deserves a real good shot at getting the marathon time she is capable of. 

Vote for Jovi!

• Options

Hi my name is Mutluluk

I have been running for two years.I completed the half marathon in Cardiff on the 19th of October my time was 2 hours and 19 minutes.I do believe I could have done it quicker ....I am 30 years old and married.I work full time and also look after my  two girls and fit my running schedule in.

I have two children and knowing that I may be inspriring my children and the other children (and also adults) that sees me running and enjoying makes me feel proud. I also completed the London 10k last year.I am passionate and well disciplined person and for me , receiving a good training directions would help me to achieve a great time in London Marathon.I love London and sweating in London streets and getting better each time would be great!

I am not an ordinary individual, I am a woman who wants to raise money to help, who wants to be an example to make others aware ...We have to work together ,hand to hand to be stronger and happier...

I hope to complete the marathon in 4 hours and 30 minutes and quicker would be just perfect..

• Options

Name: Sharon

Hi I am 39 years old and have always been interested in keeping fit, I first got into running in my late 20's but was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my mid thirties which gradually stopped me in my tracks for a while, but through medication, this has settled down now and I have gradually started running again and found a new determination to succeed and overcome this disability.

Recent running History: I have done three 10K’s (53min, 49mins, 45mins) I try and run most days (4-6miles) and have gradually got my mileage up to 13 miles, I can only manage one long run a week as it does take its toll, but I am determined to fulfil my dream of running a marathon in by 40th year, whether it be the London or another race, but running the London marathon would be the ultimate birthday gift.   

Why should you train me I have always trained by myself as there is no one around me that has my passion for running (except for my husband but having 3 children we can rarely train together), so by having a good team behind me to guide and push me would mean a great deal to me and I would love to show my family and friends just what I can do even with a disability. 

Marathon Time: as I am new to this I would hope to achieve less than 5 hours.

• Options

Hi

Brief Running History

I started running in February to train for a 10k with people from work. I did it in 1hour 12, running all the way and felt so proud of myself afterwards. Since then I have done a race every month, most recently the Great South Run - my first 10 miler in just 6 seconds under my target of 1 hour 50. Since January, I have lost over 2 stone, gone from a size 16 to a 12/14 and have just fell in love with running. This new lifestyle has changed my outlook on everything and I am becoming one of running biggest advocates.

Reasons why you should train me

I'm excited and terrified by the idea of doing a marathon - I've dreamed about it for years but worry that I would wimp out of the training when push comes to shove. If I could benefit from the advice and support of the experts, I know I could achieve one of my oldest dreams and it would cement my move into this healthy lifestyle that I have been moulding for myself.

Estimated finish

Actually running a marathon without stopping would be amazing but I would love to do it in under 5 hours. Even entering this competition has me all excited!

• Options

Hello, my name is Chris Davies. I'm a 37year old ex rugby player, I could have played for Wales if it wasn't for a lack of talent, speed and basic rugby ability. I started running Two and Half Years ago in an attempt to fight off middleage and a longrunning bet that one day I would run a marathon. I've  missed out on the FLM three times via the ballot but despite this I got a place through a club entry in 2007. I have run 4 other Marathons my last being Loch Ness where I achieved a P.B 3hours 16mins.

I feel I have unfinished business at the FLM, my one and only attempt was hampered by illness and with the unseasonal hot weather that year the race turned into quite an ordeal. I've been told by so many people what a great event the FLM is and would love to experience this and to erradicate the bad memories of my last attempt.

My ultimate running goal is to break 3 hours, I feel I have a few good years on my side to achieve this and hopefully joining your team will help me on my way to meeting my ambition.

Predicted Time: 3hours 10mins.

• Options

My name is Stuart, I am 43 and I would have to confess to being a fairly ordinary runner. I suppose I am a bit of a Mr Average which may not be such a  bad thing as I'm sure thare are plenty of Mr and Mrs Averages out there that might benefit from the insights of someone going through the experience of training for and competing in one of the great world races.

My running career began as a 10 year old when I became one fo the 1st members of the now well known Kilbarchan AAC in Scotland. In fact, I was the 1st Colts track champion but that prabably says more about the number of colts in the club at the time than it says about my runnnig talent. I packed in running for football when I was 16 and only started again aged 40 when I retired from football. I have completed the Liverpool and Blackpool half marathons and achieved my ambition of running a marathon in Brussels in 2007. I found it incredibly tough and had to walk in parts toward the end. My finishing time was 4hr 36 which I was both pleased and disappointed with. The hills really took their toll.

I think that with top notch training schedule and assitance I could run all the way round and hopefully keep up with the man carrying the 4 hours balloon. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with others and therefore feel that I would be a worthy addition to your team.

• Options

I'd like to support Vicki: Graceless Whippet, Jovi Runner, Kaysdee and Scottish Mike in their bids to become part of the Lucozade team. All are genuine, supportive, motivational folks who post pretty much daily on the GNR thread (among others). All have given their encouragement to me and many others, including the last Super Six team at GNR, so now it's time for them to get something back.

So many deserving stories, shame only a handful will get through.

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    Name: Rosie Illingworth

Brief Running History:

I started running about 5 years ago after the still birth of my son. Always involved in martial arts I needed something to focus me and get me back onto the good side of life. I have always enjoyed running but was amazed how quickly it became my 'feel good drug' and was soon able to go long distances (over 12k) at least 4 times a week. I have however never raced! All the times I have planned to I have been injured or in recovery form knee problems and operations! The sport then inspired me to retrain in PT and become a fitness instructor.
    Running is my therapy and motivation, it has been a long lasting love affair for me! I gave birth prematurely, to a beautiful baby girl last year and have found it increasingly difficult to get back to my sport and fitness but it has always been my dream to participate in the Flora Marathon and I know it would be the focus and drive I need right now. I would love to complete the race for my mum who is recovering from breast cancer and has shown such strength over the last 2 years

Reason Why you should train me:

Although previously trained in PT, I have lost the confidence and knowledge to take myself to the level needed to run to the standard I would be happy with. I have always quickly regained my fitness and am one of the most determined and committed individuals I know - always striving to to excel. I would relish the opportunity to gain the experience of such coaching and feel that with my previous injuries it would give me such an incredible advantage. Sharing my experience would enable me to give something back whilst the feeling of being 'watched@ would hopefully keep me challenged!

Predicted race time:

As i have never raced, I would be guessing - using pb distance times!!
    3.5 ish hours : (if I could get back to peak condition!)
  • Options
    I came to London and ran the Marathon in 1984 to help raise money for the miners welfare clubs. 2009 would 25 years later and a suitable anniversary to do it again. Much has changed. Docklands is now built. I ran 3.58 and would aim for the same. I have run ever since but never in London.
  • Options

I'd like to nominate Liverbird (but shhhh everyone, then it will be a big surprise for her!!! )

Name: Liverbird

Running History: Liverbird began running with me about 5 years ago when a friend asked us to do Race 4 Life in memory of her mum.  Since then she's done loads of races up to half marathon distance.

Why should you train her:  Liverbird decided to step up to the marathon distance this year and has posted regularly on the Shades thread about her progress, she followed the programme religiously up to her 19 mile run which she completed despite suffering from a virus which meant she collapsed after the run and ended up in A& E.  Labyrinthitis meant she had to pull out of both the GNR and the Dublin marathon which was her big target.  I know she's gutted, but she's still gone to Dublin to cheer on fellow forumites at the finish line.  She needs a new marathon to target and I know she would love to do London!  Liverbird is a a regular on the forums, getting her to post would not be a problem (getting her to shut up might be)!!  

Marathon Time: She was aiming for sub 5 hours, but judging by her Dublin training she should be quite a bit faster than that.

Otherwise vote Coops & Corinthian!!!

• Options

Name. Chris Sherwood .(42 yr old male)

Brief running history.

I started off cycling on tandems with my children and progressed to doing a sprint triathlon in autumn 2005. I lost an argument with a bouncy castle in summer 2006 and ended up having arthroscopic surgery on my birthday in march 2007. Trained up to olympic distance triathlon september 2007 and gained a club place for FLM 2008 .Made lots of mistakes in training, including ITB  trouble  which meant  only trained 11 out of 16 weeks of plan but got round in 3.53.  Since then I have started running as a guide for a blind triathlete(Haseeb Ahmad) who just loves to run fast. We just did leicester half marathon in 1:35:13 but was being pulled along by Haseeb .

Reason why we should train you.

I want to guide Haseeb to victory in the national disabled triathlon championships in June 2009 (www.thisisleiccestershire.co.uk) and maybe even the world championships-our times are competitive but for us to acheive our full potential I need to improve my running . I feel training for FLM will provide a good endurance base for the triathlon season ahead. Who would have thought I would be helping someone compete for a national title 3 years ago ?I am a good trainer and motivated and am excited about the year ahead.This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to help a friend acheive something very special.

Predicted marathon time. I want to go sub 3.15

• Options
    DG wrote (see)

I'd like to nominate Liverbird (but shhhh everyone, then it will be a big surprise for her!!! )

Name: Liverbird

Running History: Liverbird began running with me about 5 years ago when a friend asked us to do Race 4 Life in memory of her mum.  Since then she's done loads of races up to half marathon distance.

Why should you train her:  Liverbird decided to step up to the marathon distance this year and has posted regularly on the Shades thread about her progress, she followed the programme religiously up to her 19 mile run which she completed despite suffering from a virus which meant she collapsed after the run and ended up in A& E.  Labyrinthitis meant she had to pull out of both the GNR and the Dublin marathon which was her big target.  I know she's gutted, but she's still gone to Dublin to cheer on fellow forumites at the finish line.  She needs a new marathon to target and I know she would love to do London!  Liverbird is a a regular on the forums, getting her to post would not be a problem (getting her to shut up might be)!!  

Marathon Time: She was aiming for sub 5 hours, but judging by her Dublin training she should be quite a bit faster than that.

Otherwise vote Coops & Corinthian!!!

i vote LB too
  • Options

Hello,

My name is Lee Allen and I'm 19 years old and a student. I haven't been running in events for long but have been running as part of either weight loss or fitness for years now. The first running event I took part in was The Nottingham Marathon this year because I wanted to push myself to a level I hadn't even dreamed of doing before. I completed it and have been bitten by the runners bug ever since. I have done the Leicester City Half Marathon and am currently training for the Luton Marathon in December. I would love to do the London Marathon because it is the Ultimate Marathon of the world and is such a fantastic event. My goal for the Luton Marathon is to complete it in 4hrs 45mins which will be a PB for me. With continued training and help hopefully from the wonderful training package from you I would love to achieve a time under 4 hours and maybe even close to 3. I love running and have booked several Marathons and different distance runs here on runners world because it excites me so much to think that I can help people with fundraising for charities and for me to run and help save peoples lives, well that's life satisfaction for me.

Thank you for reading my post.

• Options

Where do I start. Age 56

--overweight by at least 2st. What am I doing about it. Just started back running again. I suffer from hayfever and normally stop running between May and September. This year has been a little later. Why each year gets harder and harder to start again.

I last did London in 1990 in just under 5 hours. I would love to do it again in anything better than that.

I enjy the Manchester 10k each year which I run with some ex-work colleagues.

I support two causes Christies in Manchester and Action against Prostate Cancer.

I definately need motivating. Thanks for considering my application

• Options

Name: Annemarie Brooks

Running history.

I have only started running over the last two years I was inspired by reading about Jane Tomlinson and my first 10k race was the inaugral Leeds run in 2007. I found it tough but the mental image of Jane's smiling face kept me from stopping and walking. I have done a couple of 10k races since and want to push myself to greater distances with the intention of building up to a marathon. I have been unable to find a running club that meets at weekends so I set up a small weekly running group of my own on the meetups internet site. I had been training for the Cardiff half-marathon but a few days before the event a car driver knocked me off my bicycle on my way to work and the injuries prevented me from attending.  I am hoping to find another half marathon to enter next month.

Predicted marathon time - 4HRS

I would like to demonstrate that women taking up running in their forties can complete a marathon and that we are not over the hill 

• Options

Run-in with science!

Richard Johnson (Age: 51)

Running seriously: Last 18 months around the streets of Basingstoke (25-30 miles/week)

Only ran one event in life: 2008 Windsor ½ marathon in 1:44

Reason for success: Measurement & Analysis!

The body is like a machine, the better you understand it, the more you can use and not abuse it!  What do others do with their speed and heart rate from their GPS watches?  I make plots!  For instance, heart rate verses pace allows one to see training progress over 18 months (red to blue) and means you can compare your progress at any pace, not just run fast.

http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk/Running/Plot.gif

If you train me, you will also buy into an inquisitive mind that wants to ascertain undeniable facts about how different training regimes help (or not).  eg does running a bit like a toddler help?  It lowers my heart rate by 5 bpm!

Motto: If you can't measure it, you can't improve it (quote: some Japanese businessman!)

Predicted marathon time: 4 hours?

• Options

Name: Tanya Veingard

Running history: 

I hated running in particularly cross country at school and up until 2.5 years ago had done very little exercise apart from 3 months of marathon training in 2001.  I have now completed 5 marathons - New York 2001 (5.53), Honolulu 2006 (5.24), London 2007 (4.48), Nottingham 2008 (4.46) and Chicago 2008 (5.13).

I was disappointed with my Chicago time as I know I had a sub 4.30 in me, but I struggled in the heat and my left knee gave up on me - basically I peaked too early in my training by doing the full Nottingham Marathon by mistake just four weeks before!

Why I deserve to win:

I feel I deserve and would benefit from this elite training package as I have the discipline and motivation to challenge myself towards my goals but I know I can be pushed that much harder, particularly around following a strict training schedule, diet and healthier lifestyle (which I don't currently do!). The extra support during the dark and cold winter months and knowing that RW readers will be relying on my regular updates will ensure that I keep up the running and not let them or myself down as I strive to achieve a new PB and smash my 4.30 target.