Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Yeah Andy - I think that must be lack of hydration and electrolytes - you needed more energy drink with a decent sodium content - particularly after being on the pop image

Thats a solid week Kingy - think you are exactly where you want to be now! 

With the knee issues at the weekend, my weekly bike miles dropped below iron distacne for the first time in ages  but still managed 19 miles running and 2.5 miles swimming so not too concerned.

You will spot me a mile off on the day - yellow Bianchi jersey and white / celeste Bianchi bike with yellow Mavic shoes and yellow / black Livestring helmet - at least I don't get run over by vans wearing all that....

• Options
    7hr 30 training since monday and that's without a long bike or run,  I'm nackered. Just finished nights so think i'll grab an hours kip before the kids get home. Can't wait for this weeks training to end and start the taper.
  • Options
    You guys put my efforts to shame, having said that, I did my first (this year) Iron distance swim this morning 4000 Mtr (pool) in 90 mins which is pretty much where I was at last year.

Friday registration is OK for me, last year Andy and me met on the car park. I'll be in white transit van so should be easy to spot. just need to set a time?
  • Options
    11am?? 12pm??
    Ali you can follow me down (or come down with me) as your going to be staying local.
    Just keeping the running ticking over for me...10k last night...gonna do (if i can) a short 15-20 high intensity ride today...then a big ride of 80-100 miles saturday...off the course...i really need a change!

I can consistently do a lap in 2.05-2.10 of the loop now....so i'm planning on holding back a bit on the day and trying to do 3 2.15 laps...this should see me in within my 8 hour bike leg time and give me 7 hours to finish (so gonna be tight...lol...i hope not too tight)

i never had a plan last year...so hopefully having one this time will see me to the finish
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Good plan Andy - I think you need to have that in your head so you can keep track of where you are and what you need to do.

Your biking is looks very sound now mate.

Thanks for the offer of following you / coming down with you on the Friday - I was thinking of doing the OW swim session on the Friday but its 9-10 am and you need to have registered already to be able to swim.  So might register at 9 am and go over for a 30 min swim? I can always pop back over and see you guys at the Sports Village after if I do swim and then have a nose round the Expo.

Don't know what Firey's plans are - no doubt he will be along soon....

No training for me this week as the knee was too tight to even kick when swimming - do feel well rested now at least, but the long ride tomorrow is a goner - just have to make sure I don't knacker it completely and train gently until the end of the month if I can.

Still gonna be a great day!!!!!!

• Options
    Any time suits me, not sure about swimming though will decide nearer the time.

I decided to do a long run last night to test my running fitness. I've done very little running since April and Bala HM was by far the longest.

Pleased to report I've not lost it image. Living just half a mile from the 3 run loops on Chorley New Road I gave them ago, I've not had chance to map them yet but they must be about 5.5 miles each in 2hrs 10. Despite the odd complaint from various joints I really enjoyed it and looking froward to the last 3 down hill miles to the finish line in front of the Town Hall on the 31st.
  • Options
    Just mapped the loops only approx cos not sure where the turns point will be exactly.
  • Options

Sorry I've now made it public image

Just mapped the loops only approx cos not sure where the turns point will be exactly.

• Options

I'll be registering on the thursday Ali as I'm in on nights that night so I can't really make any plans for the friday. I'm also a single parent so Ill prob have a kid tagging along with me telling me she's bored and needs the toilet lol. I'll prob still have a nosey on the friday around the Expo some time with kid in tow. So if you see some stressed out looking fella with a little kid pulling her face it's probably me lol. 

Just back from swimming and did the 3.8k in 1:35 and I wasn't even trying hard tbh , just concentrating on form. Considering this time last year I couldn't do front crawl I'm quite pleased with that.

gonna jib my 19 miler I had planned and go for a 10 mile hilly run instead. I'ts a killer but at least I'll be back before school finishes.

Ali hope your knee gets better. 

Andy have a great ride.

Woody thanks for the liink. 

• Options
    100 miles today!!!! never did that last year...less than 2000ft climbing but got in at 6.52 (moving time) big confidence boost cause although not fast (when am i ever fast) my nutrition worked and i had a strong finish...didnt bonk (although i did 'hit the wall' at about 70 but pushed through) or dehydrate.
    i'm chuffed with that!!!
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    Well done Andy - having at least one of these in the bank is a great boost - decent time too - you are all set now mate image
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Managed to get in a 2 mile sea swim today and risked a 2 hr ride off the back of it - knee a bit achey but not too bad - fingers crossed..............

• Options

Well done Andy you've prepared so much better than last year it has be on the cards now.

hope the run went well Firey.

Glad the knee is holding up Ali

90 miles with 6 mile run after for me yesterday.

I'm Off to Ttenerife tomorrow for a week, been looking at hiring a bike and tackling Mt Teide  as my last big one.

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    bl00dy h3ll woody - thought you said you were underprepared!!!!!  - 90 miles with a 6 mile run off the bike!!!  Good work mate!!!
  • Options
    Cheers Ali. It's more or less how I prepared last year, ramping it up in the last month or two. So now hoping for a similar result on the day, rather than my original plan of improving.
  • Options
    kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭
    I have booked the day off on Thurday for my last big ride. I will be doing 3 loops of the IMUK course if anyone would like to join me.

I will be setting off at 9:30am, so will be passing every 2 or so hours from then.

All the best guys

Kingy
  • Options
    Did a couple of laps this morning and managed  17mph average over the whole ride which is good for me. Noticed a road closure sign on horrobin lane for IMUK. It's all feeling very real now image.
  • Options
    kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭

Cracked the 3 laps with no dramas.

1st 2:06, 2nd 2:03, 3rd 2:05.

I have had a genius moment too. i was changing over my bottles at my car by Rivington res. This meant I was going up Sh*t house lane with my bike as heavy as it could get......so my plan on the day is to ignore the feed stn at Rivington and resupply at Buckshaw. This means my bottles are half full instead.

Up here for thinking, down there for pedalling and running.

Saw the signs too firey. very excited.

• Options

Good thinking mate. I don't think anything will make me any faster up the hill so I'm just gonna take it as easy as possible all the way up it with no heroics.

I'm excited but also crapping it.    

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Thats a great idea Kingy - was thinking of doing my bottles at Rivington on each lap but filling at Chorley is a much better idea.

Woken up with a cold today.....wierd that after 6 really good months everyhting has f&*$£d up in the last 3 weeks image

Still - who said it would ever be easy eh? Gonna do a gentle 3 hour ride to morrow and a full swim on Sunday - mainly to build confidence that my knee will hold out

Getting real close now image

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Race numbers are on the website

I am 197

Notice that Phil Graves is racing!!  Can't wait to see him blow past me on the bike image

Probably not be on here again until after the race - hope to see you guys at Expo / racking / on the day

I will be at Reg on Friday at 9 am ish and then doing a short swim - will then have  a look round Expo from 11ish onwards - hopefully see some of you there.

If not have a great day and all the best image

• Options

Good luck Ali, and the rest of you.

I'll be in my COLT gear in Addlington as it starts to ramp up towards Sheephouse, shouting encouragement.

Have a great week resting / fretting / tapering / preparing / worrying / dreaming !

• Options

All the best Ali hope to see you on Friday I'll pm My mobile Number.

Thanks Ironholgs I'll look out for you, will you be near the traffic lights?

Race number 324 yellow top blue bike.

I managed the ride up Mt Teide it was very tough, had to keep stopping on the way up to cool down  and let my heart rate come down. It was a great ride though especially the descent, I even over took a car that was holding me up image  8,727 ft ascent 62 miles.

The brakes on the bike I hired  were the opposite way round, RH rear LH front. which because I was unaware caused a scary moment tyring to do an emergency stop as car pulled across my path (weirdly he had right of way)

Question is are all bikes in Europe set up the same or was this bike set up wrong?

• Options

In preparation for my first attempt at Iron distance (IMFL, 5 Nov) I shall be heading up to Bolton to assist with the marshalling on Sunday.  Pirates can expect a good shout out at Chorley New Road, Signalised Crossing where I hope to be sending competitors the right direction on the run course.

Enjoy your rest week, good luck and race well.

Rw

• Options
    alreet chaps....i'm 606....Ali, woody i'll text ya on Thursday chaps...i need to wait for a mate before i can go and register so i wont be there till prob mid day...so if i miss you maybe we can hook up at racking or on race day about 5am in T1?
    lol

here we go chaps

DEATH BEFORE DNF!!!
  • Options
    oh yeah.........................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thats what i'll be wearing
  • Options

just wanted to say gd luck everyone.

I did the IMUK last year as my first IM (only the second triathlon ever) and it was awesome.

For all those stressing out, I got run over when on my bike 3 weeks before the event and had to borrow someone else's for the event and I also blew up in the run (didn't eat/ drink enough and had 5 toilet stops!) but I still managed to crawl home so you can all do it!

Looking forward to hearing stories and watching it when it is on channel 4 again (I was on it last year! image)

• Options
    Thanks for the well wishes RW and JW hope to see you on Sunday I'll be running in red Horwich Vest.

Cheers Andy I'll be free all day Friday so any time suits me.
  • Options

good luck everyone - i've been following this thread with great interest all year

you've all trained so hard - you'll ace this

especially you andy - you've got this 

race well image

• Options
    Thanks Mr Z..that really means a lot to me!

woody looking at 1.30 but i'll text ya.....

Ali you still going first thing??