Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options

Just had a look at the new run route and like you Andy, I think it will be much better ,both for the athletes and spectators. I hated the steep clime straight out of T2 last year, this time it will be a nice down hill stretch to get your legs moving image

• Options
    Very quiet this thread....every scared yet??? 7 mile run and a mile ow swim for me yesterday. had to come down south for work so going for another swim at copthorne hotel lake in Reading tonight!

hope its going well for you guys....i'm hoping to break the 70 mile barrier on saturday on the bike!!! (time permitting)
  • Options
    I'm struggling to fit much training in image I was hoping to do better this year but If i don't sort it soon, it's looking like I'll have to accept what ever time I can get this year.
  • Options
    kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭
    I have had a decent week this week following my bout of the s--ts.
    Set off for a 80 mile bike today, but cut it short to 67 as I was hanging. Still getting over the bug I think.
    Swimming is going well. Did just shy of 2 mile ow on Saturday. No dramas.
    I have conceded that my time won't be particularly fast, but I am confident I will finish.
    Good luck everyone. We are on the home straight now. Dig in, grit your teeth and I will see you in transition
    Kingy
  • Options
    i had a VERY BAD day yesterday...51 miles....almost 4 hours and was totally BATTERED!!!! after a first loop of 2.07
    real confidence knock before Bala and once again giving me doubt about my ability to finish.
    i only had one bottle of water and it was hot and windy and i took no gels....had some food!!! so i'm praying it was just dehydration....but it was just what i didnt need!!!
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

You're right mate - deffo nutrition....  I blew up on Saturday ride of 70 miles as i hadnt eaten / drunk enough early in the ride, it was bl00dy hot and i had done a hot and windy 40 miler the day before- necked down some energy bars and a load of Gatorade at 35 miles and about half an hour later was flying again.....

Dont worry mate - you are gonna get days like this - getting through them will only make you stronger for the day. image

Is quiet on here - think a lot of people have migrated to Tri Talk as there are masses of IM UK entrants on their thread.....image

• Options

Nice one Kingy bugs can take some time to clear sounds like you are on the right side of it now.

Sorry you had a bad day Andy.

I liked your idea of training on and off all day. Started at    8:30   2k pool swim - 11:00  18 mile mountain bike ride -14:00 35 mile road ride but stopped at a mates at 11 mile for a brew - 20:00  hilly 5.5 mile run followed by a cold bath,  I feel knackered today.

I've decided if I'm to even match my time for last year I need to devote every Sunday from now to taper weeks to training. Andy if you fancy joining me on any of them you have my number. I've said it before I'm convinced that the rides Richard and I did last year got us both through.

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    woody2run wrote (see)
    I'm struggling to fit much training in image I was hoping to do better this year but If i don't sort it soon, it's looking like I'll have to accept what ever time I can get this year.

That'll be about 12 hours for a man of your fitness level.......

Seriously - finishing is all I want to do - havent run for a month now but really positive about getting round - just remember that finishing is a triumph in itself that most people will never do or even imagine doing for that matter.

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

I'm doing a 'big day' on Sunday

2.4 mile sea swim at hight tide - 8:30 am

Home for brekkie then two 50 mile laps on the bike (for collecting bottle refills) for 100 mile total

You're right Andy / Woody - these really do train the body for long hours of steady exertion.

Will do another one in early july too.

Guys - can you advise what the bike bottle situation was last year?  I believ they hand you full bike bottles to replace yours?? If so, was it the big 750 ml bottles they gave out or was it 500 mls?

• Options
    Judging from your riding when we did the lap on the course the other week,  I'm sure you will do better than finish Ali but you are right, finishing is a great achievement and should be the aim on your first attempt. It was said on the thread last year that Ironman athletes are held with high regard across all sports.
  • Options
    750 bottles you chuck your empties just before the feed station and pick full water or energy drinks bottles as you go through.
  • Options

I didn't drink any water but picked up 1 Gatorade and 1 power bar at each feed station on the bike. which worked perfect for me and was a complete fluke having not tried it before in any training rides.

• Options
    kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭

You will get through it Andy. Nutrition is the key. I am scoffing half a power bar and a gel per hour. I start eating 20 minutes into the bike as it is too late once you start feeling drained.  

I have had some horendous training sessions alately, but each one is getting me closer to the goal.

I hate cliches, but ......if it was easy everyone would be an Ironman. 

I am happy to finish too Ali. There are athletes at my club that have got great times, but they haven't got 2 kids and 2 jobs like me. How many people do you know that have ever swam 2.4 miles? or biked 112? or ran a marathon?......well we are going to do all three in one day - now that is elite. Think positive, we can do this.

Just to copy the tritalk thingy, we should list what we will be wearing so we can say hi and encourage eachother on the day

Kingy - wearing orange and white "Racing TNT" cycling jersey, riding black liveSTRONG bike.

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Thats good - I am looking to use two 750ml bottles per lap so that fits in great with me (gonna get rid of the aerobars and aero bottle to save about a kilo as I dont ride on them often enough to justify them (they look good though image)

I've also put folding tyres on now to lower the weight some more - am I obsessed?

Thanks for the kind word on the riding Woody - to be honest I am caning the bike at the mo cos I'm not running - but I'd rather be doing that than running and not biking image

Kingy - I have got to see your bike mate....I've only got the Livestrong helmet and Oakleys.......

Ali Bongo - wearing yellow Binachi kit with Giro LiveStrong helmet riding a white / celeste Bianchi Cento Strade, probably wearing orca run kit.  Goal 1 - to finish under 17 hours Goal 2 - if HR zone 2 gets me round under 15 hours I will die a happy man......... 

Kingy - wearing orange and white "Racing TNT" cycling jersey, riding black liveSTRONG bike

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    kingy1889 wrote (see)

You will get through it Andy. Nutrition is the key. I am scoffing half a power bar and a gel per hour. I start eating 20 minutes into the bike as it is too late once you start feeling drained.  

I have had some horendous training sessions alately, but each one is getting me closer to the goal.

I hate cliches, but ......if it was easy everyone would be an Ironman. 

I am happy to finish too Ali. There are athletes at my club that have got great times, but they haven't got 2 kids and 2 jobs like me. How many people do you know that have ever swam 2.4 miles? or biked 112? or ran a marathon?......well we are going to do all three in one day - now that is elite. Think positive, we can do this.

Just to copy the tritalk thingy, we should list what we will be wearing so we can say hi and encourage eachother on the day

Kingy - wearing orange and white "Racing TNT" cycling jersey, riding black liveSTRONG bike.

Agree mate - I struggle to do 9- ish hours training per week with work and kids - but that can get you round if you are sensible in how you use those 9 hours and add in a lot of determination 

People who I have told what I am doing say it is an impossible task - that is the general view of people on the outside - they genuinely believe it is something elite for the super fit.  That is what makes just finishing such a truly massive achievement

• Options
    Thanks for the encouragement chaps...i'm sure it was just a blip on what has been pretty good training for me this year...after all it was a 50 mile ride with 2000ft climbing on NO food or Gels and little water...by the time i ate it was too late i think so i've ordered my gels and will start to think about it properly...didnt feel like a bonk though...felt like my legs were in just too much pain.
    its all about the bike for me now...3 rides a week (one long one) and just a bit of running to keep that ticking over....i still have time to get this i think but it was a real knock on sunday. we'll see what Bala brings this week
  • Options

Did someone say scared? I am lol. Promised myself to do do more long bike sessions but with work, weather, family etc I've had to make do with the turbo for an hour at a time over the past week. 

I had my first crack at open water today and yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. No anxiety or breathlessness as I've heard can happen, but the sessions have only been short. Tried a place in Blackpool today, crystal clear water but full of weeds making it almost impossible to pull through the water. I'm gonna keep up with the pool sessions and try and get down to the three sisters a couple of times before race day. My thinking is, I'm not scared of the water, my swim fitness is ok and my wetty fits me so the swim is pretty much boxed off image.

Hope things are going well for you all and if not I hope they soon do.

• Options
    Firey we're going to eccleston delph wednesdays and sundays...you can join us if you like...its a nice place to swim (all handless corpses removed)
    the swim is the easy bit...i can promise you that!!
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

1 hour sea swim last night and a 2 hour ride first thing this morning

Swim bas bl00dy rough - I got rolled over on my back a few times when breathing!  All good stuff though as there won't be any waves in the lake (and at the back of the field image)

Wondering why I didnt take the aerobars off the bike before - they weigh half a kilo (1 kilo with a full aero bottle) and I  rarely use them anyway.  The aerobottle was just p1ssing Gatorade all over the head set and forks anyway.  Think two 750 ml bottle on the frame will be much better for me - I also noticed my speed was up noticeably  today so somehting must have worked!

Starting to have dreams about the race now......including arriving late for the swim start.....

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Agree, stick to what you're comfortable with.  I've tried everything from tube to rear mounted bottles, profile aero bottles, stem mounted bottle, speedfil and now Im coming right back to the 2 x tube mounted.

Drawback of many of the current aero frames is the removal of the seat tube bottle mount.  For IM and HIM races it means unless you want to race with one bottle and make more changes, then you have to find another position.

Front mounted bottles can cause issues on windy days (side winds), can pop out (stem mounted) if not held currectly and may be hard to get at.  Rear bottles can be a little more difficult to reach and replace (in twos).  Also high mounted rear creates a big wind drag as the wind runs down the back.  You have to get them low, which makes them even harder to reach. 

There's a great chart somewhere that shows aerodynamic effects of all bottle positions.  Its a few years old now but compares aero profile, tube mounts and rear mounts (high and low).  The tube mounts are actually quite aerodynamic and comparable to low rear mounts.

If you want to save weight then just have 2 x tube mounts and hide the pucture kit under the saddle (if on tubs then a tight rolled tufo lite, cannister head and any valave extendors).  co2 under the front of the seat.  This frees up most of the seat post and the wind will run straight off your back.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    Cheers Ali and Daz you've saved me a bundle on aero bars purchase. image
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

You can buy mine if you like mate.... image

Seriously - I wish I had done it ages ago - i think I just 'wanted' to have aeorbars on the bike cos it was the done thing - if the two 750 ml bottles are enough and you don't use the aerobars much, whats the point?  I'd rather be a kilo lighter than look good and you can get just as low on the drops when you put the hammer down.

Big one for me on Sunday - 2.4 mile swim then brekkie then 100 mile bike with varied food experimentation - watch this space for explosive stomach venting  image

• Options
    DNF'd at Bala today....worst race conditions ever....only 2 hours sleep.= miserable day....never mind eh
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Put it behind you mate - we've all been there - plenty of time to get the confidence back in the next 6 weeks with a couple of big bike rides image  Just concentrate on what you have already got behind you this year - one bad day can't cancel all that out. You'll get there mate.

Agree on the weather - was f~*%$ing horrendous here yesterday - started off sunny at 7am and then got progressively worse with driving rain and gale force winds.

Did full Iron distance swim at high tide at 8am

Then jumped on the bike for 100 miles with a 10 min stop in the middle to refill energy bottles.

1:30 for the swim and 6:23 for the bike - the bike was horrible for the last 30 miles windy and was saturated - well pleased with the session but my guts were really inflamed by the end - always seem to struggle with masses of enrgy drink, even if I take on savoury food.

Felt like I could have could have ground out the rest of an IM if I had too -all provided my guts didnt blow up and I ran out of energy, which is always an issue for me.  Feel fine today - no aches and pains just a wee bit run down.

• Options
    yeah, truth is it hasnt knocked my confidence at all...it wasnt like i struggled or had a knee problem or couldnt run etc...it was more a CBA then a DNF...i saw Colin in transition and was telling him then that i didnt want to do it...not just cause of the weather but i was incredibly tired....it was always just a practice race for me and a chance to put it all together but in that weather i wasn't practising anything in the state of mind i was in.
    i had a decent swim and kept my form all the way round so i was at least happy with that!!!
  • Options
    Yesterday was just an appalling day to be out and about, swimming, cycling or running. Any targets missed yesterday shouldn't be a de-motivator.
  • Options
    yep it was indeed bollox.
    I've decided to do liverpool OD next weekend....i dont need a confidence boost and it wont allow me to practice much nutrition wise but i enjoy the race and it was my first ever tri so although its expensive (its a 5150 race this year so even more so) i feel a sort of affinity to it! Plus Cat wants to do it for a confidence boost....its the week before her Half IM (cowman) so although its cutting it a little fine for her i'm gonna make sure she takes it easy and just treats it as a practice so recovery will be quick!!
    gonna do a lap of the course tonight with it being nice out!
  • Options
    That's the way Andy, onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Nice here too Andy - a big change from the weekend!

OD will be a decent event to train with - even though its only a few hours, the combination of the 3 disciplines will benefit you, no doubt about that.

Best of luck to Cat on the Cowman!!

• Options
    just been out for a ride...lap of IMUK practising my nutrition strategy...brilliant...2 hour loop for the first time ever (2.00.40)
    well chuffed and feeling good all the way round and perfectly capable of going back up the hill....first time i've took nutrition seriously!!! wont be the last!! total almost 26 miles with 1300ft climing in 2.19

happy with that