Options

Swashbuckler 2011 is open

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

This race has been going for a few yrs now, and last yr was the first yr that the current has been an issue (looking back at previous swim times), I reckon that they will have realised from last yr that they got their timings wrong and changed the start time accordingly. The recent e-mail says high tide is at 4:30am.
    I also cant see them enforcing a 60min cut off if there's still lots of folks in the water. They might say more at the briefing.

• Options
    i am selfishly hoping it is a tough swim image
  • Options

Beaulieu River tide tables (GMT)  agree with Joddly, high tide 0243.  If the tide is still coming in at the 1515 race briefing (HT 1600ish), then the organisers are right; if the tide is already high (HT 1525), we're right.  I think.  Not that it's going to make much difference.

My plan for the swim - easy first out leg warming up on the way; first return leg, swim like hell, try to catch a draft and hope for the best; recover and recoup on second out leg; grit teeth and hang on for final leg. image Just hope I swim better than I did at the lake yesterday.

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

image my plan is to hang onto Trogs legs image

I seem to remember it being like this in 2009.  I'm the crappest of crap swimers (apart from HH image) and managed 48 minutes or something that year so maybe we should all stop panicking and calm down.

• Options
    Not sure it'll do you much good mate - the hanging on bit, that is, not the stop panicking bit image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Nah, you got your crap swim out of the way yesterday.  My money's on you flying on Sunday.  Plus, at least you have a plan image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Doozer - you wont be when you have all our tow ropes round your waist !

HappyChap seems to have it sussed, I think they will have set the tide time back where it used to be.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I had a quick peep at 2009 vs 2010 swim times.

100th in the swim in 2009 was 31 min as against 42min in 2010 (33% slower), 200th in 2009 was 34 min as against 47min in 2010 (38% slower), 300th in 2009 was 40 mins (and only 316 completed the swim anyway) as against 303rd (me !) in 2010 in 56 mins (40% slower) and 390 completed the swim. So the longer you take the more you lose !

I think they got it wrong last yr and it will be more like 2009 again, and an hour should be plenty of time. Could be wrong though, and we might all get eliminated !
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    or we could all just park our bikes on the Isle of Wight?
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    (or in Glady's case Southampton image)
  • Options

imageimage 

Has your parcel arrived yet Happychap?

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Nope, no parcels Trogs image
  • Options

image the lot of you!

My swim last year was about 53 minutes (58 out of T1) so I dont know I'll have much margin for error! But I won't quit. Planning on staying in the middle on the out legs and on the bank the return legs!

Any plans for an early meal / diet coke saturday anywhere?

I'm aiming for the 3pm briefing btw

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Gladys, we're booked at a restaurant in Lyndhurst somewhere.  I'd booked a spot for your bedmate before he'd said you were sharing.  you're welcome to come along, I'm sure they'll squeeze a small one in?
  • Options
    ... thats Gladys out then     image
  • Options
    Lurking on your thread as i am looking at this for next year, there is a double high tide in the solent, which i thought would be the reason for the race time beung where it is, however studying the graphs it does look like it is a big tide going out quickly!!??

Probably not one for me next year as i cant swim at 3 mile/hr!

Good luck, exbury has a cafe if you get swept to the entrance of the river
  • Options

Hello all. Have made it back from the world of work so time-consuming it keeps me from RW.

Looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't met - CRAB, for one.TR - wouldn't recognise you with your clothes on. Looking foward to seeing Rosey. Long journey for you.

Am not going to even think about the swim. Am relying on them knowing what they're doing to give us the best chance. Guess you can't always get a slack tide at a convenient time for an early morning tri on a late May Sunday morning. Will just deal with whatever's thrown at us. But am sure it'll make for good stories afterwards image.

And I'm announcing now that I'm going to walk run the run (well, I wouldn't be walk running the bike, would I?).  Just saying image.

Will be in black pirate t shirt at the 3pm briefing.

Joddly - hope you're still on the mend.  The way you fly round you'll still be ok.

Whoop whoop! Here we go! Time to start off my 2011 pirate season image.

• Options

I'll let it go just this once Meldy... but I won't forget....

3mph! Don't reckon even Chrissie can swim that fast! I don't want to think about it. Well deal with it as best I can and if  its not good enough too bad!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Malc5 - that was about as helpful as a chocolate tea-pot !

Artful Hen - If I see you approaching then I'll start undressing so you know its me.

If we all miss the swim cut off then it'll be an early breakfast after an (expensive) early morning dip !

• Options

Turn Up

Swim, Bike, Shuffle

simples...............................image

• Options
    Came down to the new Forrest last night, and am now sitting in the campsite cooking sausages in bright sunshine- it's lovely

Will probably hit the 1pm briefing - and will probably ride over

If Anyones planning a group meal then feel free to pm me and I'll fire over my mobile number
  • Options
    Good luck peeps, look's like being a cracking day for it. Some quality sand bagging going on, and I detect a little competitiveness at the sharp end - and even CRAB out of retirement.

Race strong, party hard, look forward to the post mortems (in the non-literal sense) image
  • Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    Race strong, party hard, look forward to the post mortems (in the non-literal sense) image
    Can you have a post mortem if the body has been washed out to sea?! imageimage

Assuming I get that far I'll mince in your honour on the run!

HC, up for a spot of din dins later. See y'all at 3pm
  • Options
    Gladys (still grumbling!) wrote (see)
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    Can you have a post mortem if the body has been washed out to sea?! imageimage

I believe the ruse is you 'drown' then bugger off to Panama and meet up with the Mrs Gladys, and not tell the kids about it. You might even make the Panamanian team image

Gladys (still grumbling!) wrote (see)
    Assuming I get that far I'll mince in your honour on the run!

That would be breach of copyright and you'll be hearing from my lawyers. Get your own comedy athletic routine image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I'm heading off in a mo for the 1pm briefing !
  • Options
    just about to set off. When i get home tonight i'm going to put new bright yellow handlebar tape on.
  • Options
    Race well guys,  don't waste your energy worrying about the swim and focus on controlling what you have influence over  (easy for me to say from the safety of my armchair)image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    What was your excuse for not coming along again Jaffa?
  • Options

I selflessly wanted my swim twin to experience the unique experience of a Swashbuckler tidal swimimage

............Oh and it's a friend's 40th tonight (& before you mention yes I do obviously have some friends who are significantly younger than me!)

• Options

Hope everyone has a good night.

x