Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

I felt that I needed to go out and do a proper session.

Dropped the car off at the garage and ran home: the long way. Then carried on back to the car.

23 miles, feeling strong and comfortable. Average 8:24m/m and ave HR 130. That's the engine of a Massey Ferguson on tickover. The last 6 miles kick off with an uphill drag, and I can't spot it in the pace/HR relationship. I can spot the point at which I upped the pace to 8:05m/m for the last 5 miles, but the HR seemed to be very, very comfortable. No mile averaged more than 137. For reference, I can recall that my pb zone was 145 for the first 20 miles.

Slightly different nutrition strategy today. Chilly and windy, but the rain held off. No rhododendrons around here.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, Rest Day? - read the article again! Actually, there are a few things on there that are a bit close to the knuckle. I just read his "Which running dog are you?" article. I think I am closest to Border Collie (no doubt most of us are), which incidentally was also the dog type I came out as on some bizarre psychological profiling an employer did at one point in my career. Shortly after I left corporate life - 'nuff said  (and no I didn't go to work on a farm).

Forgot to also wish Ant best of luck in this weekends 'undulating' race.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo/AR - I'm loving those blogs.  image  I'm the Portuguese Water Dog going by the hair!

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Just read the overtraining one and laughing and snorting whilst reading the points out to my bemused other half - brilliant 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

early stat tomorrow for a long w/end look see in Geneva with the family. Look forward to lots of great reports by Monday....image  

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good luck to those racing this weekend.  Don't be sh**

Gul - apologies on behalf of everyone in Derbyshire for the fact that it is chuffing freezing and rains all the time image  Don't drown.

Minni - working in Bamburgh this w/e...tell me it's going to be warm and sunny....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

It's bliddy freezing poacher. image

What are you doing In bamburgh? 

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I'm begining the travel to Comrades today. San Francisco to Heathrow to Joburg.  I'll arrive Sunday morning and then off-grid in the bush until I travel down to Durban next Friday.

I'll be race number 49072 on the day for anyone who wants to check my progress next Sunday - plan to get to halfway in 4:05 - 4:15 and see what's left once I get to the far side of Inchanga (28 mile gone) that marks the start of the 'flat' section.  The target is 8:30 and I really want to get my second Bill Rowan medal for sub-9 finish.

Currently my legs are in the super tight catagory.  I did see an offer for massage near my hotel but rather strange to see that you had to ring the buzzer to get in throught the heavy red velvet curtains and bypass the statue of a semi-clad lady.  I didn't go in....

Thanks MsE for your offer, but what with meetings, attending the conference, dinners, doing my normal work, running and the like I missed to have the time for waxing.  I have to say I do like your hills in SF.  The run I had from the to Fishermans wharf and then along the coast to the Golden Gate was one of the most memorable this year.

Good running all

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Bike It - you have worked for this, people outside athletics probably cant comprehend the commitment and the effort that Comrades candidates put in. Have a great day and show what you can do in one of the world's iconic races.   Have some bunny chow too. Very jealous.

Minni - garden design/creation. Planting is no fun in the rain image  The only good thing is that the smell of compost and manure is better than the aroma of running kit 

• Options

Bike It, have a good one. When you are back, please say it was awful and you didn't enjoy it and try and put others off. I have been to South Africa once and thouroughly enjoyed it. Comrades sounds such a great experience but one I am unlikely to fulfill for many years if ever.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Bike it - good luck. I'll be following your progress. Fantastic commitment Deserves that medal!

good luck to the racers this weekend!

• Options

Bike It - Number noted, I'll be following your progress and wishing you well every step of the way!.

Off on my weekend jolly now and the weather looks promising, amazingly. HM at 18.30 today followed by drinks/dinner/CL Final/sleep/recovery run (optional, this)/breakfast/sleep/market/sightseeing/drinks/lunch/sleep in car on way home.

Very best of luck to all those racing this w/e. Are you all right, Speedy? Bit quiet from you, no?

• Options

Enjoy yourself in Geneva, OO!

• Options

I'm OK Ant, just been busy packing and travelling and the like. Off over the border in a couple of hours. Hoping to avoid the EDL morons who are apparently marching in Newcastle today. If they're anywhere near the station I will NOT be a happy bunny. Might have time for a proper read back on the train. Right now I need CARBS.

• Options

Right - well, very best of luck!!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck at Edinburgh, Speedy! A bloke from my club is doing it too but he'll be nowhere near you, especially as he seems to be carbloading using beer.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Good luck Speedy. Already looking forward to the report!

have a fun weekend Ant, and a sub 90 half!

• Options

Mixed morning with parkrun. Time seems to be 18:53 or 18:54 which is a course PB and my first 18.xx so you can't ask for more than that but the race just felt bad. From the start I seemed to have brain freeze like I'd eaten too much ice cream too quickly and just never got into the flow of it. Anyhow I'll take the positives, much better to feel bad and run reasonably than feel reasonable and run bad.

Looking at the calendar, I raced last Sunday so that is 7 days running in a row and 55 miles in those days (4 hard sessions as well) so seems reasonable to get a bit of push back from the body. Need to ensure I rest a bit before next Friday and a serious 5k.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun PMJ off the back of a very solid 7 days running!

Good luck Ant and sounds like you have a very enjoyable jolly lined up there. Do let us know how you get on.

Bike It hope you nail that run, very envious you are going to be in SA and doing the legendary race that the Comrades is. Wonder if Mr Fordyce will be lining up this year?

Speedy try and enjoy Edinburgh and I am sure you will get the job done & smash it! What is the A goal?

Right all this talk has made me want to run. I'm off, see where it takes me. Catch y'all later.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi all - posting sporadically at the mo' - house selling/purchasing going on - but still lurking.
    Main thing to say is good on you BikeIT - as one who will never go further than 26.2, I am in awe of your exploits, and really hope you attain your goal. 
    Same goes for Speedy - have a good one - your planning and execution deserve no less. (What's the weather forecast)?
    PMJ - good result with bad head (& 7 consecutive days)

20 here this a.m. - felt more tired at end than last one 4 weeks ago, but have had lurgy since, and today's course flat, so probably pushed on more.  Have now officially "moved on" (as they say) from the injury hit, Boston debacle year of 2012. Monday is day one of Autumn mara campaign (although haven't yet selected one).  Be an adventure if nowt else to see the extent of the declineimage

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good luck Speedy, hope you hit your target.

Same to you Ant with your HM.

Best of luck to bike it. Comrades needs to go on the 'to do' list.

I've been laid up all week with a proper flu virus, none of this poncy man flu. So no training of any kind for me all week.

I was looking forward to plodding around the local newbury 10k tomorrow but that isn't going to happen.

Hopefully back on it next week to slowly build some base miles before Abingdon training starts in July.

Enjoyed the over training link, that is so me!

Ant- the youtube Vid cracked me up. I think all women should watch it and learn a thing or two, as we men always make an effort!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice to get out and have a break from the books. 5 focused miles in the sunshine albeit a bit too windy out there, avg 6:59mm. Felt like a decent effort so happy enough with that. Hoping to do an 8 miler in the morning, building back up the mileage slowly, post VLM.

Moof that sucks, hope you get better soon.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Have a great couple of weeks BikeIt! Very jealous image 

Give it some Speedy!!

Onwards and upwards Birch. You'll soon be in the swing of things with your experienced legsimage 

10 miles in the glorious sunshine today in race vest and my new short shorts - very athletic looking (the outfit at least).... 7:40mm/ 139bpm. That's the furthest I've run in 7 months. Great to back. image image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great training from you last weekend Slokey, let's hope you can build the running miles back up.

I watched a few ironman vids on youtube in the week, very inspiring stuff.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Moof, there are a few IM programmes on Eurosport (2?) at the moment - they've shown IM Western Australia, New Zealand and Melbourne in the past week And seem happy to keep repeating them. Frightening to see the leaders knock out a 2:45 run at the end and not look tired.image

long bike for me tomorrow - will be 5 or 5.5 hours depending on time constraints / how I'm feeling. Sore bottom time!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - I watched IM Melbourne and NZ on Eurosport. Incredible to see Bevan Docherty win in his first stab at IM and as you say, knock out a 2:4x marathon. Did you check the sea conditions for Melbourne? That was scary!! Wonder what sort of time a 2:4x IM marathon would translate to for a solo marathon??

The women's winner at IM Melbourne (The Welsh lady newcomer, can't remember her name) looked like a running machine. She ripped that field apart. Very inspiring stuff indeed.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Corrinne Abraham?? I wouldn't fancy that swim!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

That's the one, she looked more than useful. Think they said she used to do Judo!! Yeah vertical or what. My mate has a house in St.Kilda's where the run went past by the beach. Me thinks I will be paying him a visit.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Yes I've watched all that over the last few days plus plenty of the Giro Italia.

Slokey- are you using the aero bars on your long rides?
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Yes, and the route I've been training on is pretty much traffic free (although is a scary shock when a car does appear around a corner) so I spend 90% of the time tucked down and have become used to the position now. Just need to get another hour or so on top of my current furthest ride and I'll be pretty confident that I can hold the position for the full ride.

You should give an Olympic distance race a try Moof. It's really good fun and less intense than a marathon effort (at least it is the way I do it!).