Options

ASICS Super Six: Maria (Sub-3:15)

Comments

• Options

Yesterday's run was superb upsydaisy.

Remember well  feeling  of wanting to fall asleep as read story to children.

Hope todya's run is FULL recovery 

easy and relaxed.

Anmd tuess sesion imoportant to get balance and pace right   and come away  from session  feeling  good and pleased with how you have met challenge of demanding session.

If you have not yet read Charlie Spedding book From last to first  get  hold of copy.

Last British athlete to  win  Olympic marathon medal  and his book is full of inspiring practical advice.  Chapter on  " Beer drinkers guide to sport psychology is just brilliant.

Keep up the  wonderful work

well done

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hi Daisy - just dropping in to see how you are doing and it seems as if you are going great guns. One thing to remember is that, as a mum, you need to keep one eye on your running schedule and paces and one on your role as a mum responsible for your little one. (I used to exhaust myself and end up with very little in the tank for the end of the day which, as all parents know, is always the time of day which takes the most effort!) It seems as if you are doing just that so really well done! Am rooting for you!
  • Options

Thanks Bud. Did not run today, decided to hav a rest day instead of Friday - is that ok? I feel I need a rest day aftter my weekend long run. Managed to track a copy of the book you recommended and it should be with me in the next week hopefully - cannot wait to read it image

KR - there is  atrack nearby but I have never used it and to be honest would not venture out there by myself as it happens to be in a not very nice area, my husband told me it used to be called 'Stabber Street' - I am sure it's not that bad but perhaps better going there during daylight. There is a loop that I use as well, will stick that that I think.

MsE - yes now it seems I am doing most of my running after my son's bedtime and it is hard sometimes having to drag myself out when all I want to do is go to sleep at 8pm especially if the weather is not particularly pleasant. My husband has done a good job so far, kicking me out of the door when I am being lazy!

• Options
    Evening UD image  I too remember struggling to stay awake as I read stories to my eldest.  Tonight I fell asleep in the bath image
  • Options
    UpsyDaisy wrote (see)
    MsE - yes now it seems I am doing most of my running after my son's bedtime and it is hard sometimes having to drag myself out when all I want to do is go to sleep at 8pm especially if the weather is not particularly pleasant. My husband has done a good job so far, kicking me out of the door when I am being lazy!
    Know what you mean. It was my turn to put the boys to bed. So by the time I'd done that and thendone the washing up it was 8.30. Just enough time to relax (briefly) then get ready to go out for a recovery run after my wife got back from her Night school class.
  • Options

Sure you will enjoy the read and be suitably inspired. 

hows legs feeling?

• Options
    Maria - where did you find the book from?  Whereever I look they haven't got it yet and according to his website the self-published ones have sold out
  • Options

USB - The book arrived a few minutes ago - unbelivably fast! It took me a while to find it - seems to be out of stock in most places including amazon. I got it here: https://secure.advanceperformance.co.uk/acatalog/From_Last_to_First_by_Charlie_Spedding.html

• Options

Morning Bud. Legs are feeling much better today. I could have gone out for a run yesterday as felt up for it but husband is away in Manchester for two days and I had no babysitter. Will follow the schedule as is for today and run the 4 easy miles from Monday on Friday.

Tue 1M jog, then 12 x 400m at mile/ 5K speed (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

• Options

I have set up my fundraising page online: http://www.justgiving.com/Maria-Mott just in case any of you feel like donating a few pounds to charity image

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Delurks - Thanks for the link UD. Postage is expensive, but I've also been after this book for a while so will also buy it. Can always re-sell on ebay image
  • Options
    I see what you mean about postage!  I could drive over to their shop but with current fuel prices that is probably going to work out even more costly.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Thought I'd best grab one whilst there's still any left ...

Good training UD - keep up the good workimage

• Options
    Hahahahahaha Asics sent me the wrong type and size of trainers image
  • Options

If you got size 6 Kayanos they are mine! I got clothes but no shoes.

I shall have to decide which bits to wear for tonight's run image

• Options
    I have got size 6 but not Kayanos - I am after them myself but in size 7.5 image Will have to post them back tomorrow.
  • Options

There's been a slight change of plans tonight due to sheer exhaustion and only 3 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours - I only managed to go as far as 4 easy miles. Hopefully will sleep tonight as my wonderful husband is back and is going to take care of our waking cherub image

• Options

Hope you got that early night UD

Did you get the clothes too?  The long tights are too small for me but the capris are fine. Weird!

• Options
    Morning Bridget - yes got 2 tshirts, a pair of short and long tights and a wrong pair of trainers. Not tried anything on yet - will let u know how everything fits later on today. Ah on a piece of paper in the box it said 'no hoody' which I thought was a pity - I'd like a hoody image
  • Options

did you get some sleep?

so important for the regeneration  and recovery. 

can you ever have chance to grab 20-30mins nap or is that silly question?

as always training is compromise and balancing act.

BUT emphasise how well you are  doing. 

hope you get your kit sorted out

• Options
    Hi Bud. I do try to get naps here and there but 30 mins will make little difference if you've only slept a couple of hours at night image This said, I did manage to get some sleep last night and am now ready to fight another day! Husband is away again but my brother in law is coming in for a couple of hours this afternoon so I can go out do the intervals session today.
  • Options
    Sounds like a tough few days for you, UD but it's good to see you want to get out there and get the hard sessons done. Fortunate that you weren't waiting for the new kit before you could get started on your marathon campaign!
  • Options
    I remember sleep… seem like a distant memory now! You're lucky to have a supportive family to help you out UD, good luck with the intervals. Do you feel any fitter now 4 weeks into the training?
  • Options
    Hi Maria! No clothes or shoes received here yet. Should I be worried? Or start looking around the post room at work to see if anyone's wearing a full set of Asics kit?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Daisy - sorry the sleep is so interrupted. I found that running helped pep me up when the babies were a bit wakeful, and that not running didn't make me feel any better, so I tended to run but keep the runs easy. There are also things that help babies sleep better according to my doctor friends...
  • Options

And Maria - this might be a silly suggestion, but how do you feel about running with a stroller? Not great for form or speed I know, but perhaps sometimes better than nothing?

• Options

KR - yes I do feel fitter and now I know what the different paces feel like to me when I am out running - slow, easy, steady, fast. Today's intervals were hard but I felt great after I have gone out and did them. Went out at 4pm and ran my usual 7 mile route through town and traffic - was busy so stopped at the lights a few times. Legs felt fine but I had to push myself to run faster - sometimes I find my legs are just running ahead without much effort - today I had to really push to get it going. Managed to do a few 80m strides about half a mile into the warm up jog - then I ran 3 x 400m at 98 sec then 4 x 400m at 96 sec and the last 5 x 400m at 93sec. The course was as usual hilly in places - I am hoping it will make me run faster when I do same on the flat course! Hills now feel somewhat easier than in the beginning of the training.

MsE - I find running wakes me up and gives me energy too even if its short lived - all those endorphines do make me happy image By things I am guessing you mean calpol etc - they do work but I do not like using them without a good reason. No sign of teeth yet although cheeks are bright red and he is chewing everything in sight!

Alex - Running with buggy is fine when it's done in the countryside along the flat(tish) route. Also if you do go out running with buggy you won't be able to get your target times/paces etc plus longer distances can be difficult for the baby - personally I found it very hard to run 13 miles with the buggy without stopping to check he is ok as he started to cry and arch his back by the time I got to mile 6. I suppose it would be easier with an older child and yes it is a solution for the days when you have no babysitter - better fit in a session with buggy than not do one at all!

Reg kit - Stacey from Asics was very efficient in sorting everything out! image

• Options
    Maria - the other thing to make kids sleepy is Phenergan but I think it is only for over a certain age

I agree that Stacey is great at sorting stuff out. She's sorting me out for the Watford Half at the moment image
  • Options

I'd like to do Watford but it's a long way for me - not sure if I can make it.

• Options
    UD: I used to run a lot with a stroller when my kids were small, eventually it lead to quite a lot of back problems no doubt from running with at least one arm out for hours at a time, since my kids grew out of the stroller no back problems! So I wouldnt recommend too many miles with a stroller particularly as I know of two others who had much the same sort of problems. Plus side it build strength!