Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options

I would think you'd need to make sure it was definitely a slow run on the Sunday but I'm not really sure if it would be a good idea before an untried distance.  What is the furthest you've run so far?

Forgot to say I went shopping yesterday for new socks.  I realised that I was feeling the insides of my shoes more and that I had no idea how old the socks were!  Perhaps I should start a log like my shoe one image  Anyway Sweatshop own brand were on BOGOF so I decided to give them a go.

• Options
    Jeepers that stretch is great - really hits the spot! Bridget have you tried it? Hash you might find it good too!

Hash I am finding this schedule a bit much too although I have been swapping days around a bit and still recovering from snuffles. Off to do my speedwork this morning before work....yawn I need some more sleep!
  • Options

*wanders off to try the stretch alongside all the rest*

I could happily have ignored the alarm this morning but have dragged myself as far as the coffee machine image

• Options

Morning image

Delighted it helped, Pinkerbelle, I sort of stumbled on it when I was trying to sort out tight hamstrings / piriformis problem a few years ago.  I got myself into that position and it really seemed to target the tighter areas and I could feel the tightness releasing, and as it doesn't seem to have done me any harm. . .image

Hope it goes well today Bridget.  Another thought, although you may not be hitting the paces that you'd like (or are prescribed on the plan) you won't be suffering from tired legs, so swings and roundabouts IMHO.

• Options

Yeah... I think I may just watch on Saturday!!! image have done 14miles longest run so far... a week past Sunday.

Let us know how the socks are... some of mine are a bit thin too!  image

• Options

The socks felt very nice last night but I was only parading round the house in my shiny new trainers image

Jeepers - you may well be right about the tired legs.  I'm strangely excited about going out for a run tonight!

• Options

*wanders in from Surivors thread"

Hi USB - very jeleous of your new gear.  Its pay day on Friday and I'm so tempted to stop off at the shops on the way home - just to have a lookimage

I've got a question for you, I know you have done lots of marathons in the past and have a high mileage base behind you but how does this schedule vary from your past marathon training schedules?

• Options

Hi Bridget!

Totes agree with the wise souls on here advising rest - and particularly liked what Jeppers said about prioritising listening to your body over bowing to pressure. My physio insisted on a week of complete rest (no cycling, and swimming only without my legs!) last Thursday and I have been diligently foam rolling and stretching since. The ITB is feeling better, or at least I feel more in tune with the damn thing now, and I am raring to jump back in, gently, this Thursday.

Hope your hammy is ok - and see you Sunday!

Alex x

• Options

Suze - I trained for my first marathon (Sept 2007) on a 3 run a week schedule.  I think that was one easy, one tempo and an LSR.  I stuck to much the same pattern for the second (April 2008) but with the addition of a beginners group for intervals.  After that I rather did my own thing but keeping to the LSR pattern and then intervals, club run and maybe something else on my own.  That got me to my PB in October 2009.  In 2010 I went slightly marathon mad, doing 9 (mostly off road) plus an ultra.  I've looked back over my log and except for races most of the year was spent running at a comfortable pace if I'm honest.  Despite this I came pretty close to my PB last October which is what makes me think I have more in me if pushed.

The differences with this schedule?  Obviously the fact I am working to a schedule again! Five runs  a week.  The paces suggested are more diverse but also more specific  than before. The intervals have mostly been longer than I would do with my club. 

• Options
    Five runs a week?  That is a lot!!  Glad I didn't go for it again this year image
  • Options
    Thanks Bridget - I hope your able to start running at a faster pace soon.
  • Options

Hi Bridget.

My name is Ruth and I am the ASICS PRO Team Dietitian. I love running but due to having 3 kids in three years I have been doing less running (and sleeping!) but I am now out running again although very slowly! I have been working in sports nutrition for 9 years and my main work currently is with Sportscotland Institute of Sport as a Performance Nutritionist. So if you have any queries regarding the nutritional aspect of your training/racing please get in touch. I may only manage to be on the forum a couple of times per week so please don’t think I am ignoring you!  I look forward to hearing from you. Ruth
  • Options

Hi Ruth, you have been busy!  I've only got 2 and they are 6 years apart image

I seem to have worked out a reasonable pre-run feed of porridge and have a pattern for sweeties or gels depending on if I'm doing a long run or racing.  However I think I probably fall down on the post run nutrition especially when training.  I'll get home and make a cup of tea but unless I actually feel hungry will then get into the bath and eat later on.  If hungry I'll tend to have some malt loaf or a toasted muffin.  I keep seeing people on the faster threads talking about needing protein and carbs after but could do with some guidance really.

• Options

OK, now to tonight's run which was essentially the same as last week. I was in really good frame of mind, looking forward to the run but also feeling really calm about it which I put down to the leg just feeling more 'normal' to me.

6.3 miles done in 1.07.25 which is around 2 minutes quicker than last week.  Splits for miles 1 to 5 were all quicker but then I opted to slow down for the last bit as the hamstring was giving the odd twinge.

Tomorrow I am hoping that work will be quiet enough to allow me to slope off before 2.30 and do my 8 miles in daylight around a reservoir.  Keep those fingers crossed for me please!

• Options
    Good  steady running Bridget, I was on 3 runs a week plus 2 gym seesions which included treadmill running but I have now decided a run outside is a much better idea so now it looks as if I am on 5 runs a week too image
  • Options

That is great  news about your run  yesterday. Hope you get  run in today.

now things are  improving stay  smart and realistic and no trying to  make up for lost time/runs. make sure  leg  is returning to full  fitness.

Sunday wil be good send you should get chance of good work out and also see Sarah Connors who  is a superb physio

Take care  and keep positive

• Options

I'll still get the run done today Bud.  With it being 8 miles I'd prefer to fit it in before dark with a nice run around the lake talking to the ducks rather than a whole loop of the town (plus a bit) in the dark! 

I'm going to decide after chats with Sarah and my local physio at the weekend whether to try adding in a small bit of pace work next week or not. 

• Options

Be very  gradual with your addition of pace work.

at least you are running  on a regular basis again so  no need to panic.

See you Sunday

• Options
    Hope you made the 8 USB. Keep at it.
  • Options

Blooming heck it was windy this afternoon!  8 miles done with the grumbles.  I do wish they would go away!  I was happy with the pace for the first 5 miles but less so for the other 3 although they were at least consistent.  More down to stomach issues rather than the hamstring I think.  Thankfully I passed the car park at 7 miles so could nip into the loos (sorry if that is TMI).

Splits:

Tomorrow I will be converting the 4 mile hill session into 4 miles with the beginners at the club.

Mr USB has just arrived home with the kidney beans I asked him to get and a big bunch of flowers for me image

• Options

Mr USB seems like a top bloke to me image

Are you happy with the splits Bridget? They seem pretty consistent to me, I still have stomach issues , I will leave it at that image I was due a gym session today but will go first thing in the morning, a club run at night.

I think my slow runs are still too fast though.

• Options
    I think I'd have preferred to stay more around 11.27 Rod, but it was still a run
  • Options
    very true, I waited to do a gentle 5k as part of my gym session, now I wish I had gone. Still tomorow is another day and I love an early morning run, don't do so many nowadays.image
  • Options
    Rod Goodwin wrote (see)

Mr USB seems like a top bloke to me image

He is indeed and puts up with a lot!  Mind you he hasn't complained about the trips to Dublin, Paris and Florence image
  • Options
    Well done USB - great running especially given the grumbles! Loos are usually closed when I am out and aboutimage
  • Options
    The only public loos where I live close at 8 pm but luckily there are pubs and garages I can sneak into!
  • Options

Enjoy your fl;owers and remind yourself of all the good things in life  on your tired runs.

It  makes those long  miles just a little easier

• Options
    Your pre feeding sounds great but your post feeding a hit or a miss. When you are training once per day the main issue is the 24 hour picture i.e. that you get the right amount of carbs and protein over this 24 hour period as well as fluid and some fat .If you were training twice per day the timing gets a whole lot more important/ However I would still strongly suggest you try & eat as soon as you can after your runs as it will make you feel less tired in the hours after and following day. If you have your dinner ready and can eat within 30minute post run (recovery starts after the last hard effort/rep not after a long cool down and a chat!)  just have this then a snack before bed. If not suggest you try the following especially after a long or intense session: ·         500ml of a low fat milkshake (milkshakes have protein and carbs & will help with your fluid this would be particularly good after a one hour plus session)·         A bowl of cereal with milk (also a great recovery snack – protein & carbs) ·         2 x English muffins with jam honey  & some water or milk or a yoghurt ·         2 x slice of malt loaf & milk or yoghurt.  The follow these up with a meal within 2 hours. You can have your cup of tea as well!  
  • Options
    Thanks Ruth. Malt loaf would be good on a day like today when it took me almost an hour to get home after my run, cereal or muffin after a club run as that is 20 min away.

Today I ran mid afternoon which is unusual for a weekday but something I intend to do for the next few weeks. Found myself feeling hungry partway round. If not running till the evening I usually have a carton of soup for lunch and then malt loaf or muffin when I get home. Today I had jacket potato and bread and butter pus for lunch 2 hours before I ran. You may notice the absence of breakfast (I have a latte around 6.30) which I'm guessing may have been the problem today. What would you suggest which is quick and easy for these mornings?
  • Options

Could you take a banana/granola bar and a carton of fruit juice/drinking yoghurt on the way out the door or can you have breakfast when you get into work?