Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options
    Glad it went so well and I'd agree with your plan.  As I said before, you're still building up and better to be running now, even if slower,  than pushing yourself too much and ending up out of it altogether or missing weeks due to prolonged injury.
  • Options
    Morning, I've found the thread again now ansd saved the link so will be here a bit more often! Sounds like the physio is putting you though your paces image
  • Options
    Up nice and early Rod!  Hope you've got the kettle on image
  • Options
    Pot of Twinings English Breakfast?
  • Options
    Porridge with that, though I was up at 6.45am I dont put my computer on until I can see,...........stay sensible USB......tough though that is!!!!!!!image
  • Options

Kettle on again?  Missed the early morning one though I was up at 6am!

USB it does sound as though they are sorting the hammie for you which is great news.  Are you doing an easy tonight instead of the tempo type session?  How far ar you doing lsr at the weekend - 15 isn't it for us?

I've got a smelly headcold - still ran last night but a steady 4.5 rather than easy 7. PT tonight but she is going to spend some time with Little Pinks on upper body stuff for his rowing and then a shorter core/strength type for me but no cardio.  Then rest Friday but still hoping to do the 15 on Saturday morning.

• Options

Hi Pinks. I'm thinking of going to my club tonight but will join the beginners group who last week did between 11 and 11.30 mm.  They'll do about 3.5 miles so I'll just add a bit on beforehand.

Yes, 15 miles this weekend.  Probably Saturday for me to better fit in with family stuff and will go along the canal afte parkrun as I'll be there anyway.

• Options
    I never thought of running along the canal at MK Bridget - is it a nice safe route?
  • Options
    It seems to be.  I've never had a problem and the two chaps with their cannies last Sunday afternoon just smiled and told me to 'take care' image
  • Options
    Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    I never thought of running along the canal at MK Bridget - is it a nice safe route?
    Canal running is great Pinks, many of my runs have been done on the Grand Union, lovely in summer with all the wildlife and really peacefull, some of my 12 or 13 milers for HM training have been done early on a Sunday morning, just the job. image
  • Options
    Pinkerbelle - as I've said to USB - I'm training for Shakespeare Mara with a friend who is doing VLM and we run in MK including the canal and the redways, so if you'd like to join us let me know. We're going for 16 on Sunday doing a route at the north end of MK. We plod at a modest 11 min/miles, which may suit you too.
  • Options

Didn't get there in time for the extra mile but did run round the footy pitch and car park at the end to make it up to 4 miles in exactly 46 mins. 

Splits:
    Average exactly 11.30 image

Although i felt the hamstring a bit more it did take a bit longer again to make its presence known.

Rest day (and evening out) tomorrow

• Options
    Bud - for 13th Feb the schedule has 15 miles with the last 8 at marathon pace.  I'd rather like to do the Stamford 30K which is obviously a bit further but I could run as planned and then drop back to easy pace for the last 3 ish miles.  What do you think?  I need to know pretty soon as there are less than 100 entries left.
  • Options

Gah!!!!!!

Only just logged on and found this because of the Marathon Newsletter! So sorry Bridget - would of been here earlier to support you, from one fellow 'on/off' injury friend!

Sorry about the hamstring hun, my sacroiliac joint is niggling now and again and bits and pieces are grumbling around so more plodding on and off with club runs in between. Luckily the coach knows my limitations and has decided no sprints as such, but we are doing some hill sprints, which are more running faster up hills. Its really helped strengthen things and as peeps know I HATE HILLS!

I'm doing Stamford 30k again this year and desperately want to use it as a training run but after getting such a good time last year (2.40), I'm not sure if that'll go out the window on the day and I'll end up trying to beat it image actually, after the injury, I may not have a choice. Will be great seeing you again tho and I think Rods doing it as well? 

How are my survivor peeps doing - all on training schedule? Supposed to be recovery week for me this week so only got a 10 miler planned this Sunday. Entered the Brass Monkey 6 miler next week at Rockingham Speedway so looks like I'll have to do my LSR mid week instead - ergh!

Love to all x

• Options

Busy day for me today.  Load of washing already in while drinking a mug of tea as not enough milk left for my usual latte.

parkrun - not running though as I am RD this week so off to MK in a short while to meet up with my volunteer team. 

Then a coffee and porridge in the cafe while starting to process the results.

Get the car moved to one of the free car parks and then off to the canal for my long run before going home and sending the parkrun results off to the main office.  Before Christmas we were able to get them off while in the cafe but the tenants have changed and there is no WiFi there.

Home for a bath, attempt to find washing in my daughter's room while she is doing the panto matinee and then later on down to watch the evening performance.

No chance of an early night as she will be staying for the after show party until midnght (all the under 18's have to do a Cinderella) so we may well spend the intervening time in the pub and make her walk home.

Luckily Mr USB is a star and will be doing the supermarket shop while i am out running image

• Options

I feel exhausted just reading that!

• Options

+ 1

Hope the hammie is loosening up, sounds as if it is, albeit slowly.  Flitting between the SS/ FS threads, unfortunately, you're not the only one with hammie problems, but it seems that you've managed to get yours under better control, so image

• Options

Fun and games at parkrun as the barcode scanner was not behaving so we went for good old pen and paper.  Despite having to manually enter all the data we had our results out before 10.50 though due to suberb teamwork on the laptop image  Meant I was only about half an hour later than planned starting my long run.

And so to the long run.  Not as easy as last week and the hamstring was more apparent.  I wonder if that is down to the fact that I've spent quite a lot of the last couple of days sitting on the floor with small people and then a couple of hours on a hard restaurant chair last night.  It is certainly that bit right at the top which is giving me gyp.  I may well take a cushion with me tonight as the chairs in our community centre are uncomfortable at the best of times.

Had some useful distraction for the first 3 or 4 miles as I discovered an Ultra heading south and even saw a couple of friends image  Got to the aqueduct at exactly 6.5 miles so decided to make it a 13 miler rather than risk the extra 2.

Splits:
    12.16!
    12.14!
    12.11!

Total distance 13.05  Average pace 11.46

Looking on the bright side - this is quicker than my first 2 half marathons image

I'm thinking a rest day rather than 3 easy tomorrow

• Options

See how you feel tomorrow, you might find that a very easy, loose (sounds a bit image) might be OK, but go by the hammie!

No idea if this will be of any use to you but I find that it helps. 

It's the "ski squat" - If you do the traditional standing hammie stretch (feet slightly apart, bend at middle and touch floor without bending knees), then keeping your hands on the floor, bend your knees and squat down slightly, as if downhill skiing.  You should feel it in the top of the hamstrings where it meets the glutes.  It seems to target the top area specifically.  If you can't feel it in the hamstrings, then push your bum up slightly until you can, you'll know the point when you find itimage.  Won't win an award for elegance thoughimage.

A word of warning, it's not a "proper" stretch, just one that I've "invented / adapted", so it may not work for you, but just thought it worth mentioning.

• Options

Will give it a go if I'm back to the point of being able to touch the floor!  Usually I can put my hands flat but completely failed at the first physio appointment.

Will see tomorrow how I am feeling.  Should be able to fit 3 miles among family stuff.

Took a cushion to the panto and was really glad of it.  Had to shift a couple of times when I got really uncomfortable but I'm sure it would have been worse without.  I remembered we are giving another kid a lift home so no pub for me tonight image

• Options

<delurk>

great to see that you are managing to progress USB and it must have been a relief to complete the long run yesterday.

keep doing what you are doing, 'slow and steady wins the race' springs to mind - seems to be workingimage

• Options
    USB is that the community centre in Buckingham? Brings memories flooding back...last time I was in there I was doing my degree finals with hubby!!!
  • Options

It is indeed Pinks!

I decided in the end not to run today but have 2 rest days before doing 3 days in a row Tues - Thurs.  Looked at my log and in both weeks since the injury I have run around 9 miles less than the plan.  Last week I did 3 runs and this week I did 4.

For Tuesday I have worked out that the speedwork session comes out at 6.5 miles in total so I shall do that distance at an easy pace.  Wed will be 8 easy miles and then 4 on Thursday.  Friday will be a rest and I have physio 9.30 on Saturday.

• Options

Well done Bridget, good on youimage

Resting today is definitely the thing to do after yesterday.  Is it just me that thinks that schedule is OTT?

• Options
    Hash - just posted elsewhere
  • Options

USB

was receiving e mails to indicate  message   there but none  recently so apologies for delay in getting back to you.

How have last couple of days gone ?

Injury?

are you confident it is undr control?

Stanford should be dictated by date/  nature of injury  and above all if you  are sure you would prefer company  over that distance as opposed to another long lonely run.

Stay smart

Stay positive.

off to london now but will pick  up tonight or early nmorn

• Options

Hi Bud

13 miles done Saturday along the canal.  Not as comfortable as the week before but I'd been spending quite a bit of time sat on hard floors at work (playing with children) which seemed to make it more tender generally. 

Took yesterday off as extra rest and today is rest anyway.  Also trying to avoid the floor if I can but difficult when short staffed.  Doing my exercises and feel benefit from them.  Seeing physio Saturday am and will also discuss with Asics physio on Sunday.

Won't even consider attempting the pace session tomorrow but will aim to do the same distance but slowly instead.

I'm going to go ahead and enter Stamford as I'm sure I can pass the number on if push comes to shove.  Its mostly a nice course and as you say there will be both comany and support. 

• Options

Just a quick post to say that I agree with what Hash is saying, trust your own body and run as you feel, don't bow to the pressure.

• Options

hi,

I am running the VLM this year and hoping to do it in 4:15 - 4:30 time, supposed to be doing LSR of 16miles this Sunday, would doing a xc race on Saturday as well be asking too much? 

First marathon, and first time to run as far a 16miles!