Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just back home now so haven't read back yet and will take ages to blog everything! Suffice to say we had an amazing weekend, meeting up with family and old friends in a city that means so much to us (hubby was born and grew up there, we met and married there, I lived and worked there etc etc) and to finally run the marathon there was very special.

I didn't get the pb I'd trained hard for, in fact it was my 2nd worst ever time for a road marathon, but I was surprisingly unbothered about that. I did manage to help someone who was taken poorly at mile 16 and I had a jolly sociable time all the way round.

My hubby and family spotted me 4 times around Sefton Park and each time I was chatting to a different man image

Brilliant to see so many of you during the race but sorry we didn't make it to the pub afterwards.

LB you old bag, I spotted you in the middle of the road at one point and I shouted "Liverbird!" at the top of my voice and the only person who didn't turn to stare at me was you!!!!!

Hope everyone had a brill time and enjoyed themselves as much as I did. I bet there were quite a lot of pbs set as it was a good course for that (well, except for me but that will be explained in my blog).

Will read back and start my blog later image

Oh, just have to say that I loved running through the tunnel and those drummers at the exit brought a tear to my eye. Awesome!

Oh and another oh. WTF is that hideous monstrosity named Mann Island? How could the planners allow that brute to obscure the view of the Three Graces? Unbelieveable (and I don't care if I sound like Prince Charles)!!!!!!

Right, really must dash now image
  • Options
    What does LDWA stand for?!
  • Options
    Long Distance Waddling Association. image

Blimey a photo of me LB ? Clearly my cloaking device didn't work. And Ferret caught me in the last 300 meters so we crossed pretty much at the same time I think.

My legs still don't work today though.
  • Options

LOL!image

I feel ok today, will probably run tomorrow...can't let the grass grow, as they say! I just wish it wasn't coming up to Winter, as I really hate running in the dark and cold.  Still.....no pain no gain, will just have to find a new target I suppose.  When is everyone else going to run again?

• Options

My thighs hurt today, and my shoulders do.

Running pftt... I'll try a swim at the weekend maybe, i've given myself 2 weeks off from running.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I have to be able to walk before I run....
  • Options
    Right,here's my two penneth worth. My heart sank at the delayed start,imagined the torrent of criticism that would be appearing here,just hoped that the rest of the day would make up for it which it did and then some. My time was awful,40 minutes outside target,just wasn't my day,almost half an hour slower than my only other marathon but once you know your target is out of the window then there's no point torturing yourself.

Thought the support through Birkenhead and New Brighton was great,these are only small towns with small populations,the pavements are not gonna be 10 deep with spectators! Exit from the tunnel was amazing,others have said this but it really was like the Tour de France the way the spectators were encouraging everyone. Special mention for the Penny Lane Striders drinks station in Old Hall Street,atmosphere there was phenomenal.

Parks were a bit of a drag but the plus points are that at least it gives plenty of opportunity for friends and family to see you four or five times without having to move very far plus you can also see fellow runners,friends,relatives,club mates at different parts of the course and give/receive lots of encouragement.
    Crowds at the finish were immense,as a person who loves sport but has never been any good at any sport this is one of the best things about running a marathon,I'm never gonna score the winning goal at Wembley but this is the next best thing.

Finishing area was fine,baggage collection area didn't look great but at the end of the day it took the cadet about 10 seconds to get my bag so no complaints there.
    Brilliant,brilliant day,by no means perfect but have a read through other race reviews and you'll be lucky to find one that is. Would I do it all again? Yesterday was a definite NO,today's a maybe........
  • Options

This was my third marathon and I thought for a first time race on this scale you couldn't really ask for a better all round event. The start was a shame and will inevitably have affected people's times, you can't stand around for an extra 50 minutes without it taking its toll. And perhaps in future the organisers could arrange for translators to be at the start line so non-scousers can understand what the hell Jamie Carragher is saying!

I'm not a scouser (Liverpool is on the wrong side of the Pennines for me!) but after this event and the great support all around the course I've gained a real affection for the city and the people living there.

I understand the complaints about Sefton Park but the fact is it falls at the time of the race when you're starting to really suffer, the Park was a lovely setting and I really believe if Sefton Park had been in the first half of the race, people wouldn't be making the same level of noise about it. As far as the undulations/hills are concerned not every race is pancake flat or a PB course but why does that have to be a negative? It's never hurt the Great North Run. Climbing back out the tunnel was on a par to crossing tower bridge and worth the entry fee alone.

If the people of the city of Liverpool get behind this event and really support it then this race could be huge and I think it deserves to be.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone filmed running through the tunnel and out of the exit - would love to see that. Infact should have strapped a camera to my head...
  • Options

I'll be getting my trainers on again tonight....feel like I need to go for a run to get over the fact I walk/ran the miles between 18 & 24 image.  After having yesterday off work to recover (although the post race beer/champagne meant the head need more recovery than the legs), I'm back in & it's great because I've got to relive the day all over again with my work colleagues!! 

Now I've just got to decide if I'm going to enter Belfast in May????

• Options
    Xabidood, I was running pretty much alongside you for a few of those miles,me and a fellow Penny Lane Strider,we were both struggling so decided to just support each other to get through the last few miles and crossed the line together.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/index.php has overall pdf results you can download now.
  • Options
    What about the pictures!!  I bet mine are horrible anyway, but would still like to see.  I have never known them take this long?
  • Options
    I think there will be a lot of pictures of me walking/ shuffling and in a whole world of pain, can't wait to see them image
  • Options

LOL..One to show the grand kids?!  Just messing about and it says in the "events" section...that there is a "Liverbird marathon" on 31st December!

Do you think she has set up her own marathon as she liked this one so much?image!

• Options
    chieffy wrote (see)
    Xabidood, I was running pretty much alongside you for a few of those miles,me and a fellow Penny Lane Strider,we were both struggling so decided to just support each other to get through the last few miles and crossed the line together.
    I could see a few others around me doing the same sort of thing and it really helped me to keep going.....I remember I just kept focusing on a runner ahead of me and I pushed myself to run when he ran, and walk when he walked....from about half way round Sefton Park until Princes Rd we must have passed each other countless times....but were always within 50m of each other!
  • Options

first things first... what an event. my very first marathon and how proud i was having it in my home city. i loved the pulling together of complete strangers, the help and support of volunteers and personal thanks to the first aiders in sefton park at around 21 miles.....

unfortunately i had an absolute nightmare on the day after an unbelievably fast start... started to tighten up from out of knowere at around 9 miles. couldnt understand why i was feeling tight so early, had to stop/stretch in the tunnel twice! loved coming out to an amazing liverpool crowd...... an then it just got worse and worse. about two mins after entering seton park i was really struggling, and seeing so many people overtaking was heartbreaking. not long after the 20 mile mark i was coming to a really slow walk as i couldnt feel my legs ! ive never felt anything like it before, agonising sharp pains.(never even cramped when first started to train) i had to be pretty much carried into a first aid tent to have treatment for about 30mins.

then i was told what i was dreading to hear.. medic:"my advice based on what i can feel is to end the race here... i'm a runner myself and no you will want to go on, but these cramps wont go and will get worse"........ couldnt believe all that i had trained for, the charities involved, and my friends and family at the finish line were potentially not going to see me get a medal !!!!!

i did however decline this advice and even tho it hurt like nothing ive felt before, i walked the last few miles and with massive support from EVERYBODY at the finish area, managed to even get a little bit of a jog in while crossing the line

my pride is now hurting alot more than my legs but im so gratefull for all the help from other runners and for all who sponsored me on the day. i wouldnt of continued without it !!!!

not goin to do another marathon untill next year 14th Oct 2012.. return to the liverpool marathon, and aim to finish within my original target time of under 3hrs.30mins

congradulations to all who finshed on the day... regardless of the times you finshed. we should should all be proud !!!

• Options

Hi All,

Just wanted to say what a fantastic day on Sunday my first ever marathon, a bit of a disappointing time of 6hrs 10min but i was just glad i made it round even though i walked/run the last 6 or so miles.

I have to agree with everyone that the exit out of the tunnel was brill, and i was so pleased so many people hung around in the rain to keep supporting us backmarkers.

As soon as i crossed the finish line i vowed NEVER AGAIN!!!!! now a couple of days later i can't believe i'm actually considering doint it next year! Thats if my legs recover in time haha!

Thanks to Alan and his team for such a great day.

• Options
    Is it just me, or are loads of other people singing Beatles songs to themselves today? I've got Help, Can't Buy Me Love and Hard Day's Night stuck in my head on a loop...
  • Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Just watched the fly through again on the RLM website. Funny how UPS seems so easy on the video!

Have actually started looking at what I can run next! Looks like it may be the Preston Half on 2nd january.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to work out how tough this race actually is?

At the moment I am inclined to say that this a fairly tough and challenging city/road marathon.

It was very windy but we were very lucky and the duration of a head wind was quite minimal.

But there are 2 very substantial "hills" / long drags - the 2nd half of the tunnel and then Parliament Street. Once out of the tunnel, it was obvious to me that the race had taken on a completely different perspective. Most of the runners around me seemed to be affected quite severely by these 2 hills. I'm sure a lot of "race plans" went out the window during/after these 2 hills.

I actually enjoyed the Sefton Park section....it contrasted well with the city centre sections.
  • Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)
    What does LDWA stand for?!

Here's the answer:
    http://tinyurl.com/4yg9pze

• Options
    LOL!  I don't want to be a part of that association...no offence meant to anyone!
  • Options
    Maca Lad wrote (see)
    I'm still trying to work out how tough this race actually is? At the moment I am inclined to say that this a fairly tough and challenging city/road marathon. It was very windy but we were very lucky and the duration of a head wind was quite minimal. But there are 2 very substantial "hills" / long drags - the 2nd half of the tunnel and then Parliament Street. Once out of the tunnel, it was obvious to me that the race had taken on a completely different perspective. Most of the runners around me seemed to be affected quite severely by these 2 hills. I'm sure a lot of "race plans" went out the window during/after these 2 hills. I actually enjoyed the Sefton Park section....it contrasted well with the city centre sections.
    image I loved it but think it was deceptively tough. It's not exactly as hard as many hilly ones but some of those inclines crept up on you and beat you round the head. I think the parks at the end where a bit winding but 26 miles is 26 miles no matter if your on a park or on a road.
  • Options
    Having read a lot of interesting opinions on this, I thought I'd give my own tale & opinions of my 1st marathon.

My & my girlfriend (aka Coach) set off from Cheshire early, making it to the Princes Docks carpark for about 7.15am. It was a slightly surreal start to the day seeing a few Saturday night stragglers still hanging around. We walked up to Old Hall Street to catch one of the shuttle buses. We hadn't bought tickets in advance, but as per Alan's email last week we had no problems buying them as we got on. The buses seemed well organised - one had just left when we got to the stop but another was right behind it, and another behind that one.

We were dropped off about a 10 minute walk from the start area, which was very easy to find. Even if there hadn't have been a crowd to follow, there were plenty of volunteers around.

Birkenhead Park was really nice, and a good location for the start, with plenty of space for general milling around. I used the toilets at what I'd imagine to be peak time (9ish) and waited around 10 minutes, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

I took my place in the pens at around 20 past 9 (they were a bit chaotic, as some have complained about, but I've never known start pens to be well marshalled - they're a guide more then anything else. People can start where they want). The delay was a pain, but you really can't account for scallies... (I actually saw a couple of cars on the course around New Brighton). The only thing I'd suggest would be to have more repeaters on the PA, so people away from the front knew what was going on. I found out through a text off my girlfriend, who'd overheard a journalist asking one of the organisers.

The acutual marathon seemed to start well. My long term goal had been sub 3 hrs 30, but a groin injury had meant my last long run was 5 weeks before the event, and the last time I ran I managed a mile before pulling up in pain. I tried taking it steady, and felt the 1st few miles went well at around 8.30 pace, but I started struggling on the long stretch back down the Wirral towards the tunnel. As I was getting back to Birkenhead docks I had to walk for the 1st time, and overheard some lad on a bike saying I was a gonner. No chance...

From that point on I was run/walking the whole way. Coming out of the tunnel was fantastic - the drums sounded like a heartbeat getting louder & louder, and the crowds when we emerged were something else. Unfortunately I was probably at my lowest running through the city centre, and can barely remember Castle Street, other then that there were a lot of people there.

Parliament Street was tough, but by this point I'd forgotten about times, and was just concerned with finishing. A lot of people have complained about Sefton Park - whilst it was a bit confusing at times I enjoyed it there, and found the support fantastic all round (thanks for the jelly-babies...).

Going back down Parliament Street I managed to pick up the pace a bit (as well as getting very wet), but my calves began to cramp up. I managed to keep on going but I'm pretty sure I was making some odd noises. The crowds along the docks were amazing - again, I've never known anything like it. At one point both my calves cramped up at the same moment, and I kind of collapsed. I quickly stretched them out, and had loads of people shouting at me to keep on going. When I got up there was a massive cheer - probably the high point of any race I've run. Thanks to all those people.

I finished in 4 hours 21. Well outside what I'd hoped for, but I'll worry about times next year.

All in all it was a well organised day with a fantastic route, but it was the crowd support that stood out for me - they were just fantastic.

Well done everybody, bring on 2012.

• Options
    This was my first marathon and although yesterday I swore that I'd stick to halfs in the future - I hate the inevitable (to me) last 5-6 mile slog - today I'm strangley tempted to do it again. As a race, I think the Liverpool Marathon should be run entirely in Liverpool (sorry Wirral), and this would have avoided running through the tunnel which I thought was absolutely roasting. Local resident and big fan of Sefton Park that I am, one zig or zag fewer would have been nice - it just turned the distance that I always found a slog in training into an even bigger slog. Aside from the crticisms of the route, I thought the organisation was excellent - kept us well supplied with water, gatorade and gels , the support was fantastic even at the quieter parts of the course, and should I be mad enough to commit to another marathon...well, let's face it, I'll be there next year.
  • Options
    Found some good photos here....mainly of the first 100 runners I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneterry/

One of me....which is nice!

What does LDWA stand for?

Well the Long Distance Walkers Association organise some of the cheapest and best off road marathons this country has to offer.

Check out their website and search for their "Challenge" events (http://www.ldwa.org.uk/).

Typically, one of their marathon events cost between £2 - £12 and includes checkpoints with food and drink and quite often offer a 3 course hot meal at the finish! You cant beat that!

I've probably done 5 or 6 of their events this year. Great fun and great for training.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Seen this Liverpool marathon 1929....I bet they didn't worry about energy drinks or gels in those days...