Options

Race for Life desperate for women

Comments

• Options
    image Does anyone know if this is still the case for this year?
  • Options
    I don't see why it would be any different this year ?

Check on their website ?
  • Options

I think that's always been the case - the entry fee pays for organisation and doesn't go towards charity, with them relying on you raising sponsorship - and I beleive other 'charity' races are the same.

I don't think they publicise that very well, though, and I expect many (most?) participants assume at least some of the entry fee goes to the relevant charity.

• Options
    Why would it be disgraceful? All fundraising costs money, typically between 15p and 25p per pound raised. A few will have higher costs (depending on what they're doing and what they're hoping to achieve), quite a few will have much lower fundraising costs. Until we live in a world in which charities by law have no overheads, then it will cost money to fundraise.
    Far worse, in my humble opinion, is the use of chuggers, who in the main aren't employed directly by the charity, but by and agency that takes a cut. Of course, you can control whether you go in for a Race for Life; you can't control whether you're stopped in the street to be asked for your bank details. The reason chugging carries on, though, is that it works for a fair few charities.
    If you have any specific complaints about charities, of course, or if you feel the money you pay to enter CRUK races is lining someone's pocket, you can complain to the Charity Commission or the Fundraising Standards Board.
  • Options
    The FAQ and the entry process make it clear that none of the £14.99 entry fee goes to anything other than costs.

Do 5km RfLs involve road closures, policing, etc? The only one I've seen is the one at Cheltenham Race Course. The 10km one in Gloucester is run on the roads, with some closures, though.
  • Options
    image Might be a lot of paid staff on the admin side of things? Will anyone get fed up if the race for life goes the way of the dodo? When I posted about the adverts I was assuming it was still going strong but sounds like no-one is bothered any more?
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I love the fact parkrun is taking RFLs place with getting people into running, because it gives you so much further to go by giving beginners access to very fast runners and showing them the whole spectrum of running - it seriously humanises the fast lot and makes you think 'hey wait a minute these are normal people too and if they can do it, why cant I?'.

In the last year I've seen the general womens standard at parkrun move up quite a bit, Id be really interested to see if its just a perception or if their average times are actually improving.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

St Albans one is run around the park so no road closures. They stick a bit of pink ribbon here & there to mark out the course & maybe a few marshals on route.

There isn't much of a race village (or what there is is so unmemorable).

I think what really bothers me is the fact I'm still getting about 2 of the same mail shots through to my mum's address where I haven't lived in a few years. That must be such a waste of money.

• Options

Im a real fan on Parkrun. You just turn up, have a chat at the start line, a man tells you the safety rules, raises his arm, and off you go. Then you finish between 2 cones.

No toilet queues, no man with a tannoy, no flags/ banners/ music/ medals/ goodie bags with t shirts that are too big/ leaflets on your car at the end etc (the lost is ednless!!) Just a run.... what more could you want?

My only fear is that one day something will happen, and the H and S people will clamp down on it like a ton of bricks. That would be a shame, theres too much complex stuff in most races these days.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

I think the charity will simply have to move on and come up with other fundraising ideas.

they've really milked this one and i don't think people can be bothered with it any more.

the latest ad makes it simply sound like a sponsored walk with little or no effort involved which might get a few more participants off the sofa but is hardly likely to encourage people to sponsor someone for their efforts.

• Options

.................... oh and Blokes can enter Parkruns too.........

(sorry, x-post)

• Options
    I tend to agree. Probably past its sell-by date. But I guess so long as it continues raising money and awareness, they'll continue to do it.
  • Options
    Ah, and the old H&S thing rears its head. You should have no fears on that score. The only people at Wimbledon we have to worry about, for example, are the local rangers, who dislike the fact that it's been so successful. They certainly have no health and safety fears!
  • Options

From last year's accounts:  Accounts

Events registrations and merchandise - £16,000,000 income

Costs of generating voluntary income - Events - £28,108,000

Obviously this is more than just RfL (they have pulled out of the 10K events this year) but it makes me wonder what they'd have to charge as an entry fee to break even before donations.

• Options
    I must admit I never knew much about Parkrun before reading this thread but I'm certainly interested now! image 
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Yep the only problem they have now are too many people image

Its great in the winter when all races except parkrun are cancelled (although there were a few cancellations this year not many at all). This was my first ever parkrun:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2321/22/76/872400525/n872400525_5717234_1455.jpg

• Options
    Bridget, those accounts also say

Voluntary income from events sponsorship and donations £66,315,000.
  • Options
    The accounts also show that even after spending £308m on research they're left with about £40m net income.
  • Options
    And your point is? All charities keep reserves. I can't be bothered to check further, frankly.
  • Options
    I am doing this years R4L again but only because they now do a 10k route as well. I wont' be raising any sponsorship money though for the reasons already given.  People would soon get fed up if I went to them asking for sponsorship for every race I run.
  • Options
    All the big charities waste money. Cancer Research is the perfect example.
    They want your cash to stop cancer. Thats their aim. They spend their money for
    good purposes. But they waste in advertising, mail, buying race places, employing
    unneccesary people. They are a extremely big charity with a lot of power.

Parkrun is good. But the only thing good is its free. Which is why many sign up.
    However, I would like parkrun to impose a small charge with all proceeds going to
    local charities, clubs and voluntary groups.
  • Options
    @Peter Collins - no point really, but well done on coming across as an arsey twat.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    I would not like to see parkruns charge a small entry fee just so they can donate money to local charities, clubs or voluntary groups. I don't think raising money is on the agenda for parkruns. Why should they? It'd put a lot of people off.
  • Options
    Inter, why did you say that? I'm arguing a position, but you resort to abuse. Reflects more on you than on me. I'm actually a pretty easy-going guy. Jeez.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    biker-bricky-mouse wrote (see)
    I would not like to see parkruns charge a small entry fee just so they can donate money to local charities, clubs or voluntary groups. I don't think raising money is on the agenda for parkruns. Why should they? It'd put a lot of people off.
    You might want to skip it this Saturday then... image

They are doing a save the children "event" (feckers hijacking our parkruns at least RFL organise their own!).
  • Options
    biker-bricky-mouse wrote (see)

Maybe, but parkruns are there for the community. If they impose a £1-2 charge with its
    proceeds going to the local community. Then at least it helps. I would expect many
    would accept a £1-2 charge.

Also, parkruns cannot be free forever. Its the only attraction because of its free tag.
    Its funding is driven by sponsors. But one day, sponsors will decide to end its association.
    Then parkruns will need to think of a way to cover its costs. It cannot last forever as a
    free event.

• Options

Surely it makes sense to keep Parkruns free for participants for as long as there is sponsorship available, except maybe the odd one-off fundraiser as Curley has mentioned.

If for no other reason than, as soon as you start charging (whether it's to cover costs or raise money for good causes), it adds an additional layer of beurocracy.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Runnerman - I have spoken to Paul about this, but his vision is that it will always be free.

However, if you want to "pay" you can donate (I donate £1 for every week of the year), which helps new events for example. image

I wouldnt want to pay for donations to charity though, but thats just because I dont agree with the association between running and fundraising. 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Park runs and a lot of charity races are run by volunteers. RFL and Run10k are staffed by charity empoloyees.

I wonder how much Gloria Hunniford got paid for the ad and how much ITV are charging to show it.

I also wonder how much the owners of the grounds that the runs take place in charge/claim back in tax for charitable donation in kind. 

There are rules on what %age of each years income a charity is allowed to keep.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

Of course, you can control whether you go in for a Race for Life; you can't control whether you're stopped in the street to be asked for your bank details.

You can - when they approach you, just keep walking.  They don't try to keep up, although sometimes I invite them to.

I think they have to stay on their designated spots image