Options

Six Nations 2012

Couldn't see a thread yet (apologies if I've missed one)

I reckon:

France
Ireland
Wales
England
Scotland
Italy

...but I'm hopeful that the new-look England may do better than that.

I am, however, intrigued to learn that anyone can be selected; according to the BBC website, as I type, complete unknown Maurice Botha has been selected instead of the better known Mouritz

Comments

• Options
    Damn, someone's tipped 'em off and Maurice has been relegated to obscurity again image
  • Options
    To win: France, Scotland and Wales.

Cannot understand England giving the captaincy to someone who has only played once before for his country, even if he is his clubs captain.

Wales to do it over Ireland, just.
  • Options
    I'll go with France, England and Ireland (sadly) - Wales has too many injuries to key players at the mo to make us winners against a very experienced Irish team playing at home.

I quite like the look of the new England team - Lancaster has at least had the balls to get rid of some chaff that has clogged up their back play for the last few seasons under Johnson.
  • Options

Hmmm,

for this weekend France, England and (I hope) Wales.  As regards the tournament, not a clue.  I'd tend to agree with (one of the BBC) pundits that we're unlikely to see a grand slam. 

Lots of question marks at the moment, how badly will BOD be missed?  How strong will Wales be without (about) 8 of their preferred first team line-up.   

• Options

France will win as long as they turn up, expect Italy to try to draw them into an arm-wrestle.

I think that England will beat Scotland, I'm English so I've got to be positive. The Scots have a nasty habit of stiffling matches so they can win on kicks at goal and I admit that I'm not convinced that the England will be attacking after all most of them play for Sarries whose sole tactic is to draw the opposition into giving away penalties.

Ireland should make up for their disappointment of not making the World Cup semi - they're at home and still have have excellent locks, back-row; half backs outside backs are pretty special as well.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Italy, Scotland, Wales.  image

Anyone in Dublin this w/e?

• Options

Cheers for starting the thread, CH image

Really looking forward to this weekend. I think Ireland, France and England should win, it'll be interesting to see how the teams with new coaches play.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS! image

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Haven`t a clue but at a guess - France, England & Ireland to win.

Mrs. B is away this weekend so I`m looking forward to an uninterrupted orgy of rugby on Sat afternoon. Bliss image

• Options
    I can't see beyond France this year. So much all round ability in the team and they've finally got a coach who seems to have the full support of the players.

I'd love to see Wales "kick on" from the World Cup, but we're missing too many key players and we still lack quality replacements in key positions (especially in the front and second rows). Ireland will be thirsting for revenge on Sunday and I think they'll win. Their provinces have again been excellent this season.

I like the way Stuart Lancaster comes across and he's made a bold selection for the game against Scotland. Both teams have a lot of relatively inexperienced players so it's hard to call, but I think Scotland will edge it.

Overall:

France
    Ireland
    Wales
    Scotland
    England
    Italy

• Options

Hate to say it but garlic snail eaters first then Ireland

• Options
    France - The word mercurial was invented for French Rugby but if they play to their best and their best is very good indeed, they will be too good for any other team in the competition. However, this is France we're talking about and it all depends if they can hit the ground running. I've a feeling if they're held close or beaten early in the competition they'll implode to the infighting and egos that have dogged them in the past and then anything can happen. (1st)

Ireland - Without the talisman of Brian O'Driscoll this is a very different Ireland than we're used to; but Keith Earls looks an adequate replacement. I think Ireland's tilt at a grand slam depends on what happens in France in round 2 because I don't see any of the other nations beating Ireland, but the French on their own turf, if the right French team turn up will probably be too strong (2nd)

Wales - If Wales had a shorter list of sick-notes I'd be tipping them to go all the way; but you cannot sustain the loss of players of the caliber of Jenkins, Lydiate, Wyn Jones, Charteris, Rees and Priestland... Coupled with the retirement of Shane Williams this doesn't portend well for the Welsh - However, there is a great spirit in the Welsh camp and you cannot write off a fired up Welsh team at home. I think this is a competition too early for what looks like a very good team in the making (3rd)

England - Good that some of the big named poor performers in the backs have been relegated to history but this is a very inexperienced England side who are very much a team in transition. Though, funnily enough I fancy them to put together a win against France. I'm not sure why - gut instinct, though as someone once said - you shouldn't think with your guts (4th)

Scotland - Well, to be quite blunt Scotland just don't score enough tries and even though there is a new look about the Scotland backs I can't get past the occasional frailty of their pack when compared to the other nations. If Scotland score a win against the English at Murrayfield then this might prove a confidence boost for the rest of the competition and drive them up the ranks - but I reckon (5th)

Italy - They're getting better year after year and I fancy them to run a few teams close; particularly England and Scotland (6th)

Looking forward to it!
  • Options

Ireland/Wales - draw
    should be some big hits as Roberts runs up the middle into Ferris and O'Brien. Dont think there will be much between the teams - perhaps a no try match.

Scotland/England - Scotland
    Scotland occasionally pull good performances out of the bag. This could be one of them.

France/Italy - France
    Have to tip them at home.

• Options
    Just seen the Welsh team, Priestland and Roberts are back in.
  • Options
    still too many injuries for us though Corinth.....

I'm not sure Ireland are as strong as some people think - established, yes, but I think their defence has a few holes when they're run at quickly as Wales, England and France are likely to do. their forwards are getting a bit like England's of a couple of seasons ago - old and slow. still can't see Wales winning on Sunday though although it could be close
  • Options
    Right, I'm going Ireland, England (both narrowly) and France...
  • Options
    See England A got a good stuffing by the Scots last night, Omen !!
  • Options

We'll see...

Earls out for Ireland? Might be a problem...

• Options

OFGS!!! image

Stop going on about the Warburton red-card. Jiffy you need to get over yourself!!!

Can we go to Paris now please? image

• Options

Yep, it turns out that the rules say it was a sending off; dust the chip off your shoulder and get over it.

And while we're at it, what's the difference between Brian Moore and a jet engine?
    A jet engine eventually stops whining.
    Has he ever said anything constructive? 'Scotland rubbish', 'England rubbish' blah blah.

France looking good; England defended well and saw Scotland butcher a few chances.

• Options

LOL, CH image 

God Scotland were dire image Even I was screaming "Pass it!" to the Scottish player and as for Dan Parks imageimage

France-Italy was entertaining. Italy were pretty good for the first 30 mins but France wore them out in the end. Great try by Malzieu image

Looking forward to Ireland-Wales - hope it's a bit warmer!

• Options
    Scotland should have beaten England with all the possession they had. I don't think the Irish, French or Welsh will be as profligate as the Scots.
  • Options

That was a game that Scotland managed to lose, rather than England doing anything to win it. It seems that this generation of scottish players has been genetically modified so that they are unable to carry a ball into the opponents' in-goal area and then apply downward pressure. Something of an evolutionary disadvantage.

Never understand why Parks gets picked for Scotland. A no 10 has to use judgement in deciding how to use possession. On the evidence of his sideburns, the man is clearly lacking any kind of judgement.

• Options
    It's worked out ok for England; hopefully we can beat Italy away, then with the return of Wood, Lawes and Flood the team will be strengthened for Wales and Ireland (at home) and France away. Hodgson did well, but Dowson and Palmer were definitely substandard against Scotland. Not really expecting to win any of the last three games, but if the team gels well, it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
  • Options

Most good looking blondes!!! imageoops should have read the whole thread title lol image

• Options
    Big win for Wales today and an excellent contest, although we were lucky to get that last minute penalty (definitely not a "yellow card" and a couple of years ago, it would have been classed as a good tackle). Bradley Davies however was very lucky not to get a "red", as that was just silly.

I thought our failure to kick our goals would cost us dear again, but maybe Halfpenny should now be given a go as our "no 1" kicker. Shame Priestland missed that sitter, as otherwise I thought he played very well and his off-load for the first try was superb.

Three quarters looked very good today, especially George North (as well as his immense running power, he made a great, try saving tackle on O'Connell) and Jonathan Davies (player, not commentator) is a very under-rated attacking runner. He doesn't look particularly quick, but he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.
  • Options
    Good call on Ireland's forwards FB.

Just a quick observations - spear tackles. Thankfully we don't have much facial raking in the game now, due to law changes and referees clamping down on it. If any players are found guilty of 'tip tackling' or spear tackling they should find themselves on the end of a hefty ban. A premeditated spear tackle is nothing short of cowardice; a heat of the moment dangerous lift in the tackle is stupidity.

We need to lose this from the game as this sort of offence seems to be coming fashionable again.
  • Options

It was an exciting game, shame about the bad tackles at the end.

Wales were lucky to win that but they look in good shape for the rest of the tournament.

Wonder if Ireland missed BOD?

• Options

Italy look like they are improving and I don't think they are the soft game any more.  Be interesting to see how England get on with them next week.

England/Scotland wasn't great but they never are.  Good for the new England side to get a win under their belts, no matter how fortunate.  On the positive side, I thought they defended well and that has to be the best discipline record an England team has put out for a very long time.  I hope they can improve and start to get back to a decent unit.

Yesterdays game was great to watch.  Gotta feel sorry for Ireland but a great win for Wales.  

I agree with you Corinth about spear tackles.  Wales need to be very careful they don't get a reputation for it too as refs will be all over them.  Good for Gatland for coming out and saying it should have been a red.  I'm sure Davis got a rocket when he got back to the dressing room.

Looking forward to round two next week.