Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

image Nice one VT'd. Beats my weevils and snake into a cocked hat image

• Options

VT'd image

My wetsuit is also largely Black Witch don't think I have ever used it without tearing it! Considered buying a new one but then thought again! 

Anytips for keeping warm in 15C water, does a rash vest under the wetsuit help?

• Options

Adders? Seals? It's like naturewatch here image

I am still poorly sick - combo of pneumonia and/or costochondritis. Miserable. I am still very much going to Germany, and with luck will at least make it to the start line, but the rest is all very debatable at the moment <sigh>

Ho hum,on the bright side I really do LOVE german beer and currywurst and we're going back to blighty for three weeks afterwards, so I've got that to look forward to image

• Options

VT, we have a Dolphin at Doolin Pier at the moment. Incredibly friendly. I haven't been swimming with her but she has accompanied me on a few sub aqua dives image I did see a seal last week but he didn't come over to playimage

I have done no training in the last week or so, and I don't want to do any training and I feel like every inch of my body is aching and I feel unfit and underprepared and generally totally crap and I don't want to eat anything but junk food!

Ah, don't you just love taper time!

• Options

Weevils, an adder, seals, dolphins, killer whales...............

..........all I can add to the mix is..............chavs! image

Orca - I'm glad someone else is feeling just like me image

• Options

First serious taper for a race.

Off to get me last massage in now and then a pork pie and some doughnuts. ... Is that the idea?

• Options
    DD, I have a decathlon rash vest and it does the job. Was a bit warm in the sun Tue. It does hold some water when I flood my suit.

The high neck stops the wettie chafing too.
  • Options

Get well soon PuP, rest and rest some more.

Wow, a real managerie image I seriously doubt that I'll see anything that interesting at Salford Quays tonight, at least a hope so image.

I was hoping to do 4km open water tonight, but childcare issues mean I'll have to cut it short.

I was going to test my theory that my front crawl is still so crap that I can breast stroke faster. I know this to be true in the pool (1hr 52 vs 1hr 48) for the full distance, but I've not done any timings at all in OW. My plan is to see how long I have, then split it two equal laps, so say 1st 1000m f/c, 2nd 1000m b/s, and see which stroke is faster, and then at least I'll know what is best bet on day.

Cycle taper went a bit wrong yesterday. Note to self, DONT go for a ride with younger brother during taper. Sibling rivalry is a very strong motivator, and I can't have him beating meimage. A very hilly and faster than it should of been 36 miles, ahh well, I defintely will make that the last hard ride. Fun though image

• Options
    MK pasties down here in the office today bloke overordered i am already on my 2nd :-0
  • Options

Doughnuts x 3. Mmmmmmmmmimage

• Options

BP,   at this stage a bit of high intensity work is ok,  it's just the volume of it that should be decreasing,  a 36 miler working a bit will probably do you some good,   have a cake as a rewardimage

• Options

I feel im missing out with my carrots and hummous.... then have a salad for lunch. Get me a pastie anyday!

• Options

image Sorry the old jokes are the best and all that.

• Options

Good effort, plodder.... doing the distance twice in the pool! I recently heard an OW swim instructir telling his pupils that swim wetties are designed for front crawl, so I wonder if you'll find that to be the case at Salford?

• Options

Thanks STIL, it was as boring as hell!!!! I think you are right about the swim wetties being designed for front crawl. I have tried swimming both, but not timed myself. The body position feels all wrong for breast stroke, far too much bouyancy towards the back end image

• Options

I can only dream of having a bouyant back end. I swim like I'm wearing lead trunks image.

• Options

Most men do .. as a general sweeping statement!

• Options

image I'll have you know I swim more like I'm make of lead full stop young lady. image

• Options

I think taper madness has hit the Cat5 household. I'm very irritable, shouting at the kids (more than usual anyhow), feel like shite and am very tired.

Coupled with the headache from hitting my head yesterday at work (cue going green, wobbling, and almost flaking out) and two pots of coffee today.

Let's just get this f*king triathlon out the way so I can sleep and spend some nice time with my family. I've had enough.

• Options
    Taper madness here body has mentally started to not co operate to conserve energy 40 min dinnertime run yesterday was a struggle to get any pace binned the swim i had planned and went to bed early as i was tired got a 2 hour bike to crack in a mo and a sea swim tonight , a im distance swim tomorrow in the local quarry then thats it just some easy sessions next week to keep ticking over got to watch the food intake STOP eating crap and get lots of zzzzz z enjoy the taper folks

Oh and not get ratty
  • Options
    Woke up with a sore throat, sore ears, sore neck.....

So, I got up at 5:15 and went and threw myself in a lake to make myself feel better. Managed that and am home with coffee and bacon sarnie, and planning to go back to bed for a while. Cycle later.

I'm with you Cat5. It's this time when you just want the bloody thing over with.
  • Options

So far this week i have managed 1 x 20 odd mile bike and 1 x 6 mile run. i was going OW swimming last thursday but am worried ( paranoid ) about picking up a bug.

I think i might be taking this resting lark a little bit to literatrely

• Options

Hurtled around with the chain gang this morning 40 very quick miles. Thats it nothing much left to do!

• Options
    Bike done run through local woods/fields done strange skin reaction to pollen? Done currently covered in large red lumps not itchy just bloody unsightly image weird

As a plus seemed to be going very well on the bike image
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Done a 31 mile bike and felt quite good.  However I've just received an e mail from my work 'planning dept' to say that my duties are now changed to work next weekend image

I should be able to sort this but it's stress I really dont need at the moment!

• Options
    Dont think i have this rest malarky sorted took the dogs for a quick mooch over the moor it was so nice 3 hours later i get home image and the blotchy lumps have gone image

Slim that is a pain image i spose its just like when i was in the RN if they really want you to work you dont have a choice?
  • Options

Tried out the new meds this mornng. Yay, so THAT's what its like to ride when it doesn't hurt like hell! Anyway, either they are halluginogenic, someones been mucking about with my Garmin, or I was reading 28mph on the flat. One of these is laughably unlikely. Anyway, had a whale of a time and finished off with a 5 mile tempo run and a core session in the gym, then a fried lunch. Livin' the dream!

Till they wore off and now I am a cripple. LOL!

Hey Cat5, what's next, I'm just following your posts and doing the same thing, albeit a lot slower. Can I stop yet? (He knows what he is talking about, he's skinny.image